MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LFO Choice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author LFO Choice
rawkeyc
Hello All, does anyone have any thoughts on which module is preferable - either the Curetronics Quad VC LFO (currently about $192.00 at today's exchange) or the Grove Audio Dual VC LFO (at $219.00)?
russma
Normally I'd flippantly say "duh!...four is more than two!"

But, I'm not sure I'd like the overlapping ranges on the Curetronic.

seriously, i just don't get it
wetterberg
DEFINITELY the Grove Audio.
Sine wave, two VCAs and reset... kind of a no-brainer to me.
russma
agreed. thumbs up
bwhittington
No sine wave would kill the Curetronic LFO to me. Perhaps someone else doesn't mind that glaring omission. The Grove LFO is a more classic, useful design.

Cheers,
Brian
russma
I'm guessing Curetronic's "Rec" label means "rectangle", yah?
drewtoothpaste
As far as I can tell, anything made by Grove Audio is imaginary at this point, so why not the MOTM Quad-LFO?
ritchiedrums
The LFOs are divided into four different frequency ranges that overlap widely.
????What does this mean???? help
pugix
The MOTM 380 Quad LFO is not voltage controlled, but it does have 4 in 1U. What about the MOTM 390, which has two LFOs, one is VC with Sine, Triangle and Square outputs. Also 1U. The Grove Audio looks nice, but how often would you use the VCAs? With two MOTM 390 you have 4 LFOs in 2U.
Henfield
drewtoothpaste wrote:
As far as I can tell, anything made by Grove Audio is imaginary at this point, so why not the MOTM Quad-LFO?

I thought that it was established in the other thread that essex soundlab had received the dual VCLFO from Grove Audio?

Make sure that you include the 7.50 euro for the dotcom power adapter on the Curetronics module as well, as their power connectors resemble the euro style power headers.
sduck
Why not both?

Can one have too many lfo's? I've got all 3 of the motm ones, and often find myself using all of them in a patch.
rezzn8r
How about the modcan 61B Quad LFO? 4 LFOs with on-board summing/mixing, lots of different wave shapes, and you can sync them to the clock! Plus, they sound good in the audio range, too!
kindredlost
sduck wrote:
Can one have too many lfo's?

This is my weak link. I have 7 Q106 VCO's from Arrick but no dedicated LFO modules in my 5U. I tend to get only about three oscillators in a voice because I end up with 4 or more LFO's controlling stuff like Pan/Fades and waveform mixes etc..

I've always envied the MOTM lineup, but I'm anal about mixing modules that are spaced differently. I have the last 8 spaces filled (tenatively) of my 88 space portable(?) with a Q119 on order from Arrick. So my plan next is to start on a separate series of cabs for the MOTM lineup, then Modcan... (evil laughter) twisted

-David
paults
An 88 space case of MOTM is fine with me It's peanut butter jelly time!
megaohm
kindredlost wrote:
sduck wrote:

This is my weak link. I have 7 Q106 VCO's from Arrick but no dedicated LFO modules in my 5U.
I've always envied the MOTM lineup, but I'm anal about mixing modules that are spaced differently.

Feel free to buy one from me! smile

http://www.megaohmaudio.com/LFO.html

Already built and ready to ship.

p.
megaohm
pugix wrote:
The Grove Audio looks nice, but how often would you use the VCAs?

For me personally, at LEAST 50% of the time.
Decay EG to VCA and LFO rate. The LFO modulation starts off fast and deep then slows as it fades out.

The Grove Audio VC LFO looks cool. I think it might be more appealing if it was a single VC LFO with VCA in a 1MU panel. Anyone agree?

p.
essex sound lab
Henfield wrote:
drewtoothpaste wrote:

I thought that it was established in the other thread that essex soundlab had received the dual VCLFO from Grove Audio?

It's true. I have a pair of them.

BTW one thing that may not be obvious from Grove's pictures or description is that the module features a bi-color LED per LFO. I think the photo that's up on the Web site is still of a prototype, which may be missing that (but I haven't looked in awhile).
essex sound lab
megaohm wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
sduck wrote:

This is my weak link. I have 7 Q106 VCO's from Arrick but no dedicated LFO modules in my 5U.
I've always envied the MOTM lineup, but I'm anal about mixing modules that are spaced differently.

p.

I have one of these too. hihi

From zero to six LFOs, virtually overnight. Frees up a bunch of Q106s. thumbs up
Tronman
essex sound lab wrote:
megaohm wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
sduck wrote:

p.

I have one of these too. hihi

Ditto 8_)
klstay
I just received one of these last week. The variable shape, especially on the pulse output, really adds some nice gate capabilities. That plus the sync input sold this for me as a "general purpose" set of LFOs.

For more dedicated things like tremolo, vibrato, dynamic panning, the Grove with a pair of Fritz pulse delay AD/ARs is right up there on my list of wants. If they could work out permission to use the circuit a double width module with single EG-VCA-LFO would be great.
happy
rawkeyc wrote:
Hello All, does anyone have any thoughts on which module is preferable - either the Curetronics Quad VC LFO (currently about $192.00 at today's exchange) or the Grove Audio Dual VC LFO (at $219.00)?

Hi rawkeyc,
I have the curetronic quad cv lfo in my system.
Mid, high and very high speed is ok.
But slow is not really slow. confused
So its for me not a real L(ow)FO.
I would prefer another one.
For real slow speed I use my VCOs from dotcom and CotK.
And I think about buying another LFO from CotK or TMSS.
MindMachine
I just mailed a check for the Megaohm LFO Two. It seems versatile and loaded for a single space unit. The Grove unit sure is fascinating though. I am scoring the Polymoog Resonator from Grove as soon as it is available!!!! It is such a good thing to have so many choices these days!!! w00t
russma
That's a good choice.

I like how Phil seems to have something specific in mind when he designs. He doesn't just crank out an LFO module, for example; he imbues it with specific features from desirable past designs. Same with the Delta filter.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1