MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Cyclops
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Cyclops
wednesdayayay
http://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cyclops/

yipes I can't wait to get this module
Laser control incorporated into my wife's theatre specific video rig would be awesome

from the site

"Available August 2016.

Explore another new realm of voltage control with the first EuroRack-to-ILDA Laser Projector interface! Cyclops is an interface module which converts EuroRack modular signals to the International Laser Display Association (ILDA) specification for laser show projectors. We recommend connecting Cyclops to a EuroRack modular system rich in VCOs (especially quadrature sources), multipliers, and signal mixers in order to synthesize a full range of oscillographics patterns and lissajous geometries.

5 channel interface: X & Y Position (+/-5V) and Red, Green & Blue (0-5V.) Configuration switches on the module rear alternatively allow selection of LZX video standard signals (0-1V.)
Voltage Control Input, Voltage Control Attenuator and Bias Control per input channel.
Input inversion switches for X & Y voltage control inputs.
Master XY scale control sets overall size of laser image.
ILDA standard differential output drivers for each channel to ILDA standard DB25 connector port. A DB25 serial cable is all you need to connect this module to a wide range of compatible laser projectors.
Selectable low-pass filters on X & Y channels with settings for 20KPPS and 30KPPS projectors & filter bypass.
Compatible with TTL RGB and Analogue RGB color lasers.
Interlock & Shutter switches for remote control of laser projector.
Warning! High frequency signals can damage some laser projectors. While the module does include field and bench tested protection filtering against high frequencies as a default feature, you should always listen for loud buzzing or distorted noises coming from your projector which may indicate it is being driven faster than its galvos can handle. Adjust filter settings and use this module at your own risk. "[/img]
mckenic
I think I have been dreaming about this for years (if it does what I think it does)!

My 1st LZX or any video module!
wednesdayayay
yes I think this will be a big one and the idea that you can switch the voltage range between audio and video standards via the module is perfect
nickciontea
this module will be much more powerful in audio cases. where cheap oscillations and quadratures are plenty.
AR126
Props to Lars...

man,he wasn't kidding when he said "big times ahead for LZX" woah
wednesdayayay
and here all my audio stuff goes 0-10v poo
Jasper
what a great time to be an LZX'ist
Dirty_Bill
wednesdayayay wrote:
and here all my audio stuff goes 0-10v poo

Luckily, Scaling is pretty easy fix! It's peanut butter jelly time!
makers
Mutable Instruments Tides had a Plotter Easter egg feature. I think it drew a single stored image. I'm interested in revisiting that in this context.
justscratch
price seems pretty decent at 249.00

someone can possibly school me on what to look for in terms of laser features for a small room?
gearhead61
justscratch wrote:
price seems pretty decent at 249.00

someone can possibly school me on what to look for in terms of laser features for a small room?

We have a thread going about that very subject over on PhotonLexicon:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/25542-Lasers-and-sy nthesizers?p=329145#post329145

cool
nickciontea
has anyone started implementing this design in their rig? i think nerd audio is looking to pick 1-2 up and then i'll be able to test in their lighting demo room. im on the line about it. sounds crazy exciting but im worried about damaging an expensive laser as well.
Ddorward
That's the reason I've held off on getting a laser-- I want to hear the experiences of cyclops owners first.....
Jasper
Just got mine, unfortunately haven't pulled the trigger on a laser yet. Prolly order something up this week though.

Shouldn't damage a decent laser, given that it's buffered to not allow more than 20kpps-30kpps (can switch between the two w/ a toggle on the back)

Really rad that you can also toggle between +-5v or 0-1v, since I foresee mine partying w/ Batumi alot
makers
More laser demos:

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CP6qZ81yshg
nathanxl
Ok.
So its time for me to buy a projector for this Cyclops I have sitting on my bench.
The forum linked above doesnt really give much info (yet) but I figure it would be nice to have the info here...
That video is perfect, if it could be known what projector was used in the making it would give a good start.

Im looking for RGB Analogue, 40kpps galvos (if possible) and able to fit in a carry on sized case...
Budget around $1000.

Please help, I want to get started.
makers
I ordered one of these yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-500mW-RGB-Full-Color-ILDA-DMX-DJ-Party-Am imation-stage-Laser-djslighting-/251193054288?hash=item3a7c45d450:g:Fy kAAOxyuGFRzicL

Based on a photo on LZX's Facebook page and Lars mentioning a $300 price tag, I'm fairly certian it is very close to what they used in the video.

For my experimentations, I'm sticking with something at or below 500 mW. I believe anything above that is a class 4 laser.

samn
Edit: looking into some other US sources after nathans catch - definitely looking at analog laser over TTL.

I'll definitely post some videos when I get the cyclops in hand.
nathanxl
@ makers. The MX Mini is 20kpps. Do you think that is fast enough to do those shapes in the video above?
@samn. Is the caliente ILDA? Also is it your preference to use TTL colour modulation over Analogue?
samn
nathanxl wrote:
@ makers. The MX Mini is 20kpps. Do you think that is fast enough to do those shapes in the video above?
@samn. Is the caliente ILDA? Also is it your preference to use TTL colour modulation over Analogue?

Wow good catch, for some reason I had a different spec sheet that said it was analogue. I am definitely going to be purchasing an analog laser over TTL - unfortunately these things are really poorly documented around different dealers and websites. Anyway, I want a live demo of one locally before I buy, I definitely am not plopping a grand down over EBAY to china...

Edit update: looking at this soon: http://www.pssl.com/Lasers-for-DJs-and-Clubs/X-Laser-Mobile-Beat-Mirag e-Graphic-FX-Laser
30k galvos, analog, it's only 400mw but it says it can play venues up to 500 people. I have been looking at x-laser because of their warranty and variance kit, I play in LA at legit venues and I don't want to get hassled.
Ty
samn wrote:
I'm grabbing a laser this week, looking to get this demo'd locally. http://www.hollywooddj.com/x-laser-caliente-rgb700.html#gsc.tab=0

Hey Sam, any idea what speed that projector is? I couldn't find it in the specs.
Ty
[quote="Ty"]
samn wrote:
I'm grabbing a laser this week, looking to get this demo'd locally. http://www.hollywooddj.com/x-laser-caliente-rgb700.html#gsc.tab=0

Hey Sam, any idea what speed that projector is? I couldn't find it in the specs.[/quote

Oops never mind. Following! Rockin' Banana!
samn
So I am way late to this but I had to ORDER this laser from SoCal even though I am 1 hour away because this place was only open from 10-6 and not open on weekends very frustrating

Anyway, I settled on http://www.pssl.com/Lasers-for-DJs-and-Clubs/X-Laser-Mobile-Beat-Mirag e-Graphic-FX-Laser and tried it for the first time last night using a slew of modules and it is wicked fucking bright and awesome. I haven't had a chance to use any smoke, hopefully testing with tonight. I will take pictures.

The setup is extremely responsive. I tried LZX oscillators as well as a doepfer 110 oscillator and LFO. I only noticed squeeling if I cranked the LZX oscillators but the doepfer LFO produced it rather quickly.

Disclaimer: I set mine to 30k and Lars told me to put it back to 20k tonight and try it again (my galvos are 30k) so I'll post results.
samn
So, its pretty amazing. The long and short of it is that it is definitely worth it to dive into this module+laser. The action is very similar to an oscilloscope but with a LASER. Here is some quick video + a couple pics. I found that you need to amplify the LZX oscillators using TVP or TVFKG to get larger images. I ended up using a doepfer LFO and oscillator because I need to free up LZX oscillators for projection. Check it out!

eth
Those look awesome Sam! So, could this "oscilloscope music" conceivably be reproduced with the Cyclops + Laser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19jv0HM92kw
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2