MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX DIY Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author LZX DIY Build Thread
plugugly
I've been very excited about the arrival of LZX diy for sometime now and finally got around to assembling the first few bits of what's been released. While we have a dedicated DIY section on MW, I'd love to see it represented here as well. Please post along.

This is the week's progress on my assembly of Cadet I and II - very exciting for me. They currently remain faceless while I finalize additional features and panel layout.

Cadet I : Sync Generator - Hardwired for NTSC. Accomplished by leaving S1 untied.

Edit: The above image shoes S1 incorrectly jumpered.

Cadet II : RGB/Composite encoder - Mounted and wired to sync gen, also hardwired for NTSC. S1-2&3 shorted (HIGH). R8, R9, Y2, D3, D4 omitted. D3 replaced with jumper.

Meager beginnings with the aid of test equipment.
Dirty_Bill
Nice work, Video DIY goes better with wine! nanners

(we do also have this thread, which is supported directly by LZX: LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)

EDIT: now that I checked the link I see you've posted there too, so obviously you know about it. Never mind!
plugugly
Would this be more appropriate within its pages?
Dirty_Bill
plugugly wrote:
Would this be more appropriate within its pages?

I'm not the keeper! My thought was initially to minimize the places people asked questions about the builds and products.

Upon further reflection - I think a 'show us your builds' thread is cool too. But I recuse myself from having a say about it now.....
tenshun
i just finished putting my sync & color encoder together.

Soldering the smd chip was actually pretty easy!

now i just gotta make some panels for them.
LoFi Junglist
Are there manuals for these?

I'm getting really tempted to start a small LZX Cadet-skiff, but I can't find much information.

(Also, how long did it take for the PCB's to arrive?)
tenshun
i dont see any manuals but the schematics and build info is on LZX site.

i ordered my PCBs when they first popped up on the web and it took awhile to get them. Maybe because they were swamped and still in the process of designing things.

im sure it will arrive quicker now that it looks like they are all up.
plugugly
tenshun wrote:
i just finished putting my sync & color encoder together.

Soldering the smd chip was actually pretty easy!

now i just gotta make some panels for them.

BROTHER!

Builds look good. SMD ain't no problem, really. Just a matter of getting used to the scale. Given them some juice yet?

Lofi Junglist wrote:

Are there manuals for these?

I'm getting really tempted to start a small LZX Cadet-skiff, but I can't find much information.

(Also, how long did it take for the PCB's to arrive?)

Schematics only - no real support outside of Lars being absolutely awesome with help or info requests. Lead time has been about 6 months from pre-order to shipment, but it's trickling out at this point.
TERRORVISION
Just chiming in here guys... We're currently finalizing the C9 module for production and are hoping to do a revamp of our documentation (descriptions, build processes, photos, BOMs, demos) for all of our products once its completed. Obviously this isn't going to happen all at once, but it is something we're prioritizing here at LZX HQ.

As they exist currently, the BOMS for each Cadet module are complete and accurate with component values, manufacturer part numbers and pcb referenece designators and modules 1-8 are available and shipping with a 1 to 2 business day lead time. If anyone is having trouble getting thru their Cadet builds please let me know on here or thru jonah@lzxindustries.net and I'll make sure we get you sorted.
arbito
Awesome service Jonah! SlayerBadger!
tenshun
so i powered them up and i dont know if the Sync generator works or not but it seems the rgb encoder kinda works. i can feed a vco into any of the 3.5 jacks and i see lines on the screen and thats it.

Anyone know how to tell if the sync generator works? i dont have a oscilloscope
plugugly
tenshun wrote:
so i powered them up and i dont know if the Sync generator works or not but it seems the rgb encoder kinda works. i can feed a vco into any of the 3.5 jacks and i see lines on the screen and thats it.

What test equipment do you have?

Do you see colors corresponding to the inputs you're using?

EDIT:
Regardless, DC measurements of my NTSC sync outputs are as follows - compare with yours.

H Sync Output: 0.08V
V Sync Output: 0.02V
Frame Rate Output: 0.5V
tenshun
plugugly wrote:
tenshun wrote:

What test equipment do you have?

Do you see colors corresponding to the inputs you're using?

EDIT:
Regardless, DC measurements of my NTSC sync outputs are as follows - compare with yours.

H Sync Output: 0.08V
V Sync Output: 0.02V
Frame Rate Output: 0.5V

thanks for the reply and help.

i know the RGB encoder is doing something. When i plug a square wave or any signal into any of the jacks i can see red, blue or green.

The sync generator is the one im having trouble with tho.
I think i checked the right areas for the output of the signals with a multi meter. But the readings are not close to yours. Maybe my meter is broken!
plugugly
OK, for clarification:
    Why do you suspect your Sync Generator may not be working?

When you patch a signal to the inputs of the encoder - either red, green, or blue - do you see the associated color on your display?

Do these colors appear as alternating horizontal bars or flashes?

Are the horizontal bars moving from one side of the display to the other?

Does varying the frequency of the signal results in kind to any change on your display?

If you adjust the amplitude of the signal, does the intensity of the color change?

With your multimeter set to Volts - DC, what readings are you getting from the outputs on your Sync Generator?
tenshun
ok with a mulitmeter to the outputs of the sync generator im getting no voltage.

i even found my dads old oscilloscope and connected it to it and was getting a flat signal. even tho the focus dial on it wasnt working.
to test if the o-scope was working i connected it to a vco and i was getting the proper wave forms.

im gonna go over all the resistors and stuff to see if i might have placed one in the wrong area.
plugugly
Alright. Had an issue with my own Sync Generator - might be related. My microcontroller would not always reset correctly on power up. Subsequent power cycles would result in all sync signals working, some sync signals working, or none. Momentarily grounding pin 1 of U5 would fix this. I installed a 2.2uF electrolytic between this pin and the top of C11 (gnd), which is the capacitor directly to the left of it. Effectively serves as/extends Power-on-reset. Eliminated my issue, but YMMV.

If you have a bench power supply, use a meter probe to ground this pin - see if the issue you're experience is related.
sync24
hi,
'quick Q -
if I want to hardwire the Sync Gen for PAL (as Mouser is out of the switches),
can someone tell me what to wire to what, please?

Cheers Guinness ftw!
plugugly
sync24 wrote:
hi,
'quick Q -

Cheers Guinness ftw!

Short S1-1 and S1-2. You may also omit R24.

Will verify later this evening.

Edit: Verified. Let'r rip.
sync24
plugugly wrote:
sync24 wrote:
hi,
'quick Q -

Cheers Guinness ftw!

thanks!!!
getting ready to rip SlayerBadger!
sync24
sync24 wrote:
plugugly wrote:
sync24 wrote:
hi,
'quick Q -

Cheers Guinness ftw!

thanks!!!
getting ready to rip SlayerBadger!

hang on, which is S1-1 and S1-2?
this pic is from the Encoder, I'm assuming they're the same layout, and I'll probably do the same hard-wire for PAL with this, too.

Sorry for dumbo question btw.
plugugly
Not a dumb question!

The Sync Generator will have a slightly different layout in that it will only have the larger set of pads. Again you will be shorting 1 & 2 together.

For the Encoder - If you're looking to completely hardwire it for PAL and not just bypass the switch, Short S1-1 & S1-2 at either locations pictured, omit Y1, D3, R8, R9, and jumper D4.

sync24
plugugly wrote:
Not a dumb question!

The Sync Generator will have a slightly different layout in that it will only have the larger set of pads. Again you will be shorting 1 & 2 together.

For the Encoder - If you're looking to completely hardwire it for PAL and not just bypass the switch, Short S1-1 & S1-2 at either locations pictured, omit Y1, D3, R8, R9, and jumper D4.

oh great!
thanks for sll this,
i'll try and do this in the week and will report back when i can.
Cheers!
thumbs up
Dofkev
Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue when building the sync generator and encoder. I built a panel that includes a sync generator, color encoder, and video input. When using the video input to lock to an external source, I am getting the below horizontal bar, like in the middle of a frame (disregard the diagonal lines, just an artifact from the photo). Each time power is cycled to the modules, that horizontal bar appears in different locations within the frame. The image does not scroll. The bar stays in the same position when power is applied. Here's the image:

I'd also like to verify that I have the NTSC/PAL jumper set correctly for NTSC on the sync gen and color encoder. Here's a photo showing the sync gen, and the jumper on the color encoder is in the same position:

ebbflo
Do you have the genlock of the camera hooked up to the sync gen or encoder?
It looks like stuff I have hooked up with it not in sync
vonkhades
ebbflo wrote:
Do you have the genlock of the camera hooked up to the sync gen or encoder?
It looks like stuff I have hooked up with it not in sync

AFAIK you have to connect the composite video to the sync generator first, so it detects/extracts the sync... then from the buffered composite video output of the SyncGenerator you should connect it to the video input module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2