MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Module selection - advice welcomed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Module selection - advice welcomed.
eljay
I have 7U of rack space width left to fill in my two l9" rack flight cases. I have the following Oakley Modules.

2 x VCO and 1xVCO controller
2 x Slim VCO (one of each A and B)
1x LFO
2x Multimix
1xDual VCA
2xADSR and 1xVC-ADSR
1xVRG
1xNoise
1xSample/Slew
1xDiscontinuity
1xSVF, COTA, TSL
1xDeep Equinox
1xmidiDAC
2xPSU
HVM/SE330

Any particular recommendations for additional modules and why would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Synthbuilder
I assume you have a multiple panel there, if not you should get one.

If those filters are just the 1U wide versions then you will most certainly need another mixer. The Fourmix is probably a good choice since you already have two Multimixes. You may even want two of them.

I'd also have a Journeyman or Croglin filter - either has a bit more character than the three clean ones you already have.

I like a bit of overdrive and the Overdrive-II will give you that and two stage wavefolding.

Another midiDAC wouldn't go amiss since that allows you to use an external midi sequencer as well as your keyboard. You do have enough modules to create two powerful monosynths there.

Oh, and leave some space spare because there are some more modules coming later this year.

Tony
satindas
My take on a classic theme is;

EDIT: Forgot about "why"..... Modulation for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Supper in a variety of shapes and rates... the food of Champions! thumbs up
Synthbuilder
satindas wrote:
My take on a classic theme is;

I agree but he's actually got quite a few already in the form of three loopable ADSRs, one VRG, one SVCO-B, one VCO Controller, one Equinoxe and a VC-LFO. You could probably add the clock out on the Sample/Slew too.

Saying that another VRG wouldn't go amiss. thumbs up

Tony
satindas
^^^ Yep! I was thinking along the lines of a couple of Dual-LFO's for dedicated mod. duties. Great value in terms of panel space and still 5 spaces left. Can't wait to see what these new modules might be BTW hyper
Noiseconformist
... usually its VCAs, mixers and multiples which are amiss.
At least here, in my time-zone. wink
EDIT: of course LFOs and such are important. But fun really starts when modulating the modulator. wink
Blake Smith
I notice you don't have the ring mod in there. I particularly like the sound of the Oakley one myself.
Synthbuilder
Blake Smith wrote:
I notice you don't have the ring mod in there. I particularly like the sound of the Oakley one myself.

Actually, he's got two. The discontinuity has a ring modulator function, and you can build one from a single VCA and a Multimix. But, you're right, it won't sound exactly like the dedicated ring mod module which does have it's own character and is a bit better behaved than the other two.

Tony
satindas
Noiseconformist wrote:
But fun really starts when modulating the modulator. wink
I find this to be the golden key to great patches. A single modulator, whether it's applied to pitch, filter freq, a vca or whatever can be pretty uninteresting. Having any, or more often all of those things double modulated at synced ( or un-synced !)rates is the type of patch I can fool around with for days and never get bored.
mmeixner
Synthbuilder wrote:
Oh, and leave some space spare because there are some more modules coming later this year.

Tony

Keep talking ... razz
Synthbuilder
mmeixner wrote:
Keep talking ... razz

On the bench now I am testing the new SRE330 main PCB which is to be part of the ready made version of the SE330.

Just shipped from the factory and arriving Monday are the new Eurorack power supply and E-Dizzy boards. They should be available before the end of next month.

What I have currently on the CAD system is a new 5U module which will be a single channel chorus, flanger, comb filtery thing. I hope to have this out before the end of the year. Next up in 5U will be a analogue delay, but I have a host of other ideas I would like to do too.

Tony
Paradigm X
wow, both the 5u ones will be instant purchase!
R T S
So... What did you get, eljay??
eljay
Initially I ordered a Fourmix, Ring Modulator, Journeyman, and Overdrive II. I've yet to build them as I've been working on my own little project to develop a Midi Clock to CV converter (not bad for someone who only started DIY synth stuff a year ago). I have been totally inspired by the whole DIY experience that Tony provides, the documentation on his web site and help via this forum is fantastic and the quality of the end product is superb. The highest complement I can give is to say "I am hooked!".

That said I've just ordered a TM3030 (couldn't miss the opportunity), and thought I might as well stock up so I got carried away and added a Filtrex, Classic VCA, Croglin, Diode Superladder, RPSU and EFG. I have enough now to keep me going through the winter months to come and can already see the need for a third flight case for those extra modules, oh and of course there are those promised new modules Tony has under development! I did say I was hooked.
R T S
Some really nice choices there eljay!

The Fourmix and Journeyman are fantastic!

The Overdrive II is great for adding little peaks and warbles to slow moving CV. Or modulate a VCA before it for some nice timbral changes. (Today's project actually!) Guinness ftw!
Blake Smith
Very much looking forward to the new 5u modules. An analog delay would be fantastic.
mumblinstevedubya
Look forward to the delay Tony

Can't you bump it up the queue? love
Synthbuilder
mumblinstevedubya wrote:
Look forward to the delay Tony

Can't you bump it up the queue? love

Now that the Euro PSU and Dizzy boards are out, the next module will be the 5U comb filter/flanger/chorus thingy. The circuit design is essentially done - the challenge now is trying to fit it all on the PCB without having to go surface mount. I'm trying to get that done so I can have boards for sale in January. I had hoped for late November but thanks to ongoing health issues I'm not running anywhere near full speed.

The 5U delay will probably follow that but I may spend some more time on the SRE330 before that.

Tony
mumblinstevedubya
No worries Tony, I can wait! Om
Paradigm X
Flanger thing sounds awesome. happy to preorder if helpful.

Any odd parts? guessing its based on the KT refit pcb you did recently, so nothing super rare?

Either way will grab this as soon as its released.

This is fun!
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
Any odd parts?

Possibly the Cool Audio NE571 clones. But I haven't yet decided whether I want to use that type of companding noise reduction or not. If not they'll be nothing unusual about the parts excepting the BBD devices themselves.

Tony
Paradigm X
Hey Tony

Happy new year! Hope you are feeling a bit better.

Just wondering if theres any news on the flanger/phaser?

Many thanks, Ben
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
Just wondering if theres any news on the flanger/phaser?

No new phaser but the flanger/chorus circuit board is being laid out now on the CAD and should be finished by next week. It's a complex build for a relatively small PCB so I did have to go to surface mount for the bulk of the parts. I haven't laid out a board for surface mount for well over twenty years so I'm not so quick as I normally am with through hole designs.

It will be a challenging build for anyone who has not built anything with surface mount stuff before. All the resistors, caps and diodes are 0805 and the ICs are SO, so it is possible to make it with a standard soldering iron with a small tip. You'll need good eyesight though or some sort of magnifying lens.

But 5U sales have been very slow of late so once I've got this one done I'll start work on some of the Euro modules that I've had on the back burner for a while now. The 5U delay will have to wait I'm afraid - the delay has been delayed so to speak.

Tony
Paradigm X
sorry, yes thats (flanger/chorus, not phaser) what i meant.

I think it might be a bit beyond my skills tbh if all smt. please let me know if theres a prototype going, or a commercial (built - krisp?) run tho.

many thanks
mmeixner
Synthbuilder wrote:

No new phaser but the flanger/chorus circuit board is being laid out now on the CAD and should be finished by next week. It's a complex build for a relatively small PCB so I did have to go to surface mount for the bulk of the parts.
It will be a challenging build for anyone who has not built anything with surface mount stuff before. All the resistors, caps and diodes are 0805 and the ICs are SO, so it is possible to make it with a standard soldering iron with a small tip. You'll need good eyesight though or some sort of magnifying lens.

Tony

From personal experience: I think, that this is not as hard as many people think. I just recently started with building SMT, and 0805 and SO are - after a short time of adapting - not fear inducing. I'm 55, with mediocre eyesight, but it worked out without many problems for me. And the very high quality PCBs Tony delivers would this make a real good start with SMT, I guess...

Looking forward to the project and ordering for sure! It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2