MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Matrix Mixer Patch Examples
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Matrix Mixer Patch Examples
southphillysynths
I was hoping everyone could give some examples of how they utilize matrix mixers.

I understand the basic concept but fail to see the potential that I'm sure they have.

Want to focus on modular matrix mixers that have bi polar/unipolar channels.

Do you use them for feedback loops, mixing cv, mixing effects/ filters??
Lowgritt
summing + splitting cvs makes for so much fun experimenting smile

the best aspect imo is the fact that live attenuating & routing on the fly can lead to very dynamic performance patches

- i especially like sending a gate signal to 2 or more destinations offset or inverted to taste per destination

-blending envelopes & lfos - sent to a gate delay - then sent to filter freq mod input

-offsetting pitch signals to multiple oscillators

- sending clock triggers to multiple destinations

i have the moon modular modulation matrix located bottom center in my 5usystem so it also conveniently can be used as a midway i/o point to keep my patches tidy. this simple function on its own is very nice even w/out all powerful capabilities.

To be honest its Probably the most versatile utility device in my arsenal
huffnPuff
A matrix mixer is still a mixer! It will sum whatever you feed it, so will prove itself useful no matter the use case.

Having multiple inputs and outputs also makes it suitable for feedback loops as you suggest. It lets you feed back your source material selectively.

Another use for the multiple i/o is as a send/ return bus, or even a quadrophonic mixer in case of a 4x4 matrix.

Toggle buttons or switches are a big plus, this is one of the things I use most in the 4ms VCAM. It makes for a very nice controller.
flo
Additionally to what's been said, they also excel as "modulation matrix" type routers. A bunch of modulation sources that conveniently can be sent in different configurations to a bunch of outputs.
southphillysynths
Bump! great info so far thanks everyone! will look more into some of these functions and ideas!
justin3am
My favorite use for a Matrix Mixer is delay feedback routing.

Say you have 3 delays, and a 4x4 matrix...

Input 1 is your signal input, whatever signal you want to process
Input 2 gets signal from the output of delay 1 (no wet dry mix or feedback, just the output of the delay)
Input 3 gets signal from delay 2
Input 4 gets signal from delay 3

Output 1 is routed to the input of delay 1
Output 2 goes to delay 2
Output 3 goes to delay 3
Output 4 is your main mix output.

With this configuration first three level controls for Input 1 will route signal to the individual delays, the fourth level control for Input 1 will be you 'dry level'. This allows you to send signal to each delay independently so you can configure parallel or serial signal paths.

Level 1 for input 2 will act as the feedback control for delay 1. Level 2 for input 3 will act as the feedback for delay 2. Level 3 for input 4 will act as feedback for delay 3.

The forth level control for inputs 2, 3 and 4 route each of the delays to the output 4, so they act as your 'wet level'. I hope all this makes sense so far.

Other level controls allow you to send signal from one delay to another. For example, from delay1>delay2 or from delay 3>delay 1, etc. so you can have a serial signal path.

When you start using the bi-polar attenuators, you can mix negative feedback with positive feedback to get interesting results.

The idea for this came from U-He's More Feedback Machine
Sleipnir
southphillysynths wrote:
I was hoping everyone could give some examples of how they utilize matrix mixers.

The simplest explanation I've heard for them (and how I usually think about it in use) is:
Plug 4 modulation sources into the In's
Plug 4 things you want to modulate into the Out's
(note that these may be the same modules, hence feedback patching)
Turn knobs.

My typical usage is 2-4 Dixies tuned to different harmonic intervals. The sines into the 138m, the 138m outs going to Linear FM in of the Dixies.
This solves the "no attenuators on the Dixie" issue, as well as giving some wild sounds. thumbs up
pieter
Bump!

I'm thinking of getting an A-138m and I'd love to see more examples of what people do with them. I definitely look forward to playing with that delay patch by justin3am...
abelovesfun
Here are three examples I made about my AI008 matrix Mixer:

electricanada
pieter wrote:
Bump!

I'm thinking of getting an A-138m and I'd love to see more examples of what people do with them. I definitely look forward to playing with that delay patch by justin3am...

Combine with A-151 and get four more channels on Pressure Points?
mt3
Estes
I used the matrix mixer from doepfer quite a lot for very different uses. Its very handy. Now it shines with the combo together with the worng stage mixer. You can then take for example one source, then add different effects and then place all 4 different effects somewhere in the room. I also wished often to being able to add the original sound to a stereo delayed effect. Now its super easy and really great to not just add it to the sum but also place it in the room. I use this also to process synths while jamming with a keyboardplayer...
pieter
Estes wrote:
I used the matrix mixer from doepfer quite a lot for very different uses. Its very handy. Now it shines with the combo together with the worng stage mixer. You can then take for example one source, then add different effects and then place all 4 different effects somewhere in the room. I also wished often to being able to add the original sound to a stereo delayed effect. Now its super easy and really great to not just add it to the sum but also place it in the room. I use this also to process synths while jamming with a keyboardplayer...

I got my Soundstage a few weeks ago, that sounds like a great use for the mixer, thanks!
MindMachine
I put two audio sources into 1 & 2 of the A-138M. Put an LFO (VC able is best) into 3. Mult the first three channels and feed mult group 1 into Erica Black Mute mixer and that into Ch. 4 of the A-138M. Mult group 2 goes into a Doepfer A-135-1 VC Mixer. Those three audio channels are muted/mixed in a Plan B Model 9. The VC inputs of the A-135-1 are fed whatever.

Flip the channel mute switches on both the Erica and the Plan B. Plenty of choices.

This gives me a lot of mayhem or subtle blending combining the audio and control via feed back of channel 4 on the A-138M. Hits and misses. Add a quantizer in there or some effects pedals via Malekko SND/RTN's.

The A-138M is an adventure each time I use it.
cptnal
I've been amusing myself lately by trying to approximate a Benjolin with a couple of VCOs and a matrix mixer. Of course I have to improvise when it comes to the eight-step shift register, but if I wanted it to be exactly like a Benjolin, I'd buy a Benjolin. zombie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1