MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer MS 404
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Doepfer MS 404
CoreInside
Sweet analogue monosynth in a 1u rack. All the knobs on the front are useful, no bullshit menus. Can be used as a low pass filter. Has both midi and cv/gate control. Sounds just as good as a large modular system. Anyone else got one? grin
Con-radius
Really doubting of buying one. I don't know why, but this little synth has something appealing. Probably it's the no bullshit factor.
CF3
I bought one direct for Dieter when they first came out. Used it for years. Solid bread n' butter mono synth. Somewhat limited but, for the right price it's a good piece. Came out at a time when everybody was producing 1U 303 clones.... Doesn't sound anything like a 303, which is a good thing IMO. If remeber right it can even be used as a. MIDI to CV in a pinch.
rhythmdial
they are great and I'm always ready to buy one if I see for a great deal.
very weird in a good way!
a friend used one for years wayyyyy back when new and I likeeee likeee
Luap
I've had mine since new. Good lil synth thumbs up And one of Doepfers first mass(ish) produced products. Forerunner to their Eurorack range, apparently.
soundinett
Great great monosynth. Have two!
Can be pretty acid but also very organic and warm. I use it also - with some treated noise- as a drumvoice.

It is covered here:

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/95284304" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

and here:

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/148976829" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

But also on other tracks on my fisherbody Soundcloud site ...

- Birthday cake (filtermodulation)
- Carmine Appice and Tim Bogert playing in a mall (lightly distorted)
- Remembering Gary Remix (snare)
jonne74
There was an interview with Doepfer where he said that the first A-100 modules like the A-110 VCO etc. were just the MS-404 made into modules.
darmklacht@gmail.com
Yeah, is t the dark energy mk1 the same thing, just different layout and semi modular?( Emphasis on semi, not modular)
Luap
darmklacht@gmail.com wrote:
Yeah, is t the dark energy mk1 the same thing, just different layout and semi modular?( Emphasis on semi, not modular)

There certainly are some core similarities, but also enough differences of features and sound that they are likely completely unrelated technically.
Both are great little mono synths though.
Infrablue
Had one before a modular. It is amazing
miss it
CoreInside
Just bought one on ebay. Cheers guys.
computer controlled
There are jumpers inside that let you change a few things. They can be brought out via a switch. They are just a simple A100 voice. But sound really good. Had one for a while. See them from time to time.
CoreInside
bought 3 off of ebay
all are faulty
one plays a single note
the other two have vcos that are out of tune
anyone know the best place to get them looked at?
Luap
CoreInside wrote:
bought 3 off of ebay
all are faulty
one plays a single note
the other two have vcos that are out of tune
anyone know the best place to get them looked at?

If its just the scaling that out of whack, then I wouldn't say it was faulty as such. You can fix that without even removing the lid. There is a hole on the rear to access a little CV trimmer which you can use to correct it thumbs up

CoreInside
Thanks I'll try that to fix the two. Still one is faulty. Where's a good repair shop near Cardiff?
BugBrand
EMIS outside bristol - always used to be the main port of call for Doepfer, but may have changed the last few years.
neuroportal
He has a workshop in Falfield now, where I think most of his stock is too.

He repairs still, and is still a main Doepfer dealer. Bought most, if not all, of my Doepfer modules from him very recently. Top chap.

http://www.emismusic.co.uk/contactinfo.html
southphillysynths
Love to see people talking about this synth. Some great sounds posted above as well! It's peanut butter jelly time!

I have always wanted one even if its just because it's the beginning of Doepfer. I really love the aforementioned simplicity and limit that it offers. They are always a little more than I'd like to spend. Of course I'm all tapped out for the holidays and there are a few on ebay right now...
CoreInside
Thanks guys, that shop is Bristol looks like a good bet.

Be careful before importing these from Japan. They're probably out of tune or faulty like mine. Returns are expensive when you import :(
CoreInside
Managed to tune one of the MS404s using the screw on the back. The other one wouldn't tune properly. Is there a little blue pot inside the case for tuning the VCO?
digitalganesha
I remember reading that Stephen Morris of New Order is very fond of the MS-404 for bass lines. They used it on Waiting For The Sirens Call. The bass line in the song Krafty is the 404.
CoreInside
Is there a tuning pot inside the case?
Blairio
The Doepfer Dark Energy mk1 employed the CEM 3394 'synth on a chip'. That is why a shortage of 3394 chips brought about the end of the DE mk1's production.

I am no electronics expert but the schematic I have seen for the MS404 suggests that the various synth tasks are distributed across multiple dedicated chips.
BugBrand
Trimmer P17 - check the schematic here::
http://www.doepfer.de/ms404_sm.htm
CoreInside
P17 - thanks Bug Brand
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2