MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KYMA examples
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author KYMA examples
Roland Kuit
Because of such pauses we can create sentences:

Roland Kuit
Not only sentences can be made, the 3D Random Walk is also responsible for changing the drum sound content in this next example:

Roland Kuit
When adding an array of values, this becomes a guided improvisation. This could have been easily for a flute or piano sound but I choose for a door sound in honor of Pierrre Henry:

rec.Koner
Any updates on future part for "Thoughts on FM" article?
Roland Kuit
rec.Koner wrote:
Any updates on future part for "Thoughts on FM" article?

Later in 2018. This year has been a kind of roller coaster for me. Begin 2018 hectic as well.
Roland Kuit
Maybe this formula can been seen as a form of array where in this case the frequency behaves in quasi chaotic patterns:
(k + 3) * (x * (1-x))
Based on the research of Laura Tedeschini-Lalli, mathematics professor at the University of Rome.

Roland Kuit
Array of values determined by a modulus. Piano with spectral delays modulated by the modulus:

bphenix
For Kyma users, I am going to try to post a new sound each week to the community library. Goals like that help keep me focused on creating new stuff and I get as much or more enjoyment out of creating new kyma examples than I often do from creating compositions.

I just posted an example of using a granular oscillator into a key tracking resonator.
gosh
Excellent! I feel the same re. creating patches being more fulfilling than composing sometimes.
Look forward to your patches!
Roland Kuit
Creating sounds (patches) is always the seed to composition smile

pianoscope
How good are the realtime Kyma pitch shifting algorithms?
Compared to say the H8000. Are there any examples with a clean source, percussion, acoustic guitar, piano, pitched up / down in octaves?
bphenix
pianoscope wrote:
How good are the realtime Kyma pitch shifting algorithms?
Compared to say the H8000. Are there any examples with a clean source, percussion, acoustic guitar, piano, pitched up / down in octaves?

Do you want real-time or non-realtime?

With Kyma you can pre-process sounds via spectral analysis. When doing that, it greatly improves any range of accuracy and quality when shifting. It also lets you do extremely fun stuff like applying the pitch envelope of one sound to another.

I've created H3000 like effects of pitched delays which are super fun and sound great. I've not done a lot of straight up pitch shifting, however. If someone doesn't have any examples handy, I could whip up something from the basic examples in the library.
Roland Kuit
Realtime pitch shifting on prepared piano sounds.
Random notes into 2 octaves down & up pitch shift:
0 -12 -24 -12 0 +12 +24 +12 0

pianoscope
interesting, thanks.
Roland Kuit
A new prototype is born.

The Random Walk on Midi Index
When you have followed this thread, you have learned much about the Random Walk possibilities. This new prototype is walking directly through the note index:

Dougdi
Brilliant! Are you making that prototype available? Now I need to go back to see your progression. I haven't gotten into random walk or sequencing yet in Kyma and there's so many directions to go! Have you played with AC Toolbox? I've used it a few times, I believe it has random walk algorithms.
Roland Kuit
Dougdi wrote:
Brilliant! Are you making that prototype available? Now I need to go back to see your progression. I haven't gotten into random walk or sequencing yet in Kyma and there's so many directions to go! Have you played with AC Toolbox? I've used it a few times, I believe it has random walk algorithms.

The prototype is available in Symbolic Sound's latest Kyma software update. (January 5 2018).
Developed by Carla & Kurt. Also they made random more random and extended the seed expressions in Capytalk.

The AC Toolbox is developed by Paul Berg. One of my former teachers at the Institute for Sonology in Utrecht (before it went to The Hague where it is based now). This toolbox contains some chaotic systems and it speaks midi to the outside world. Thinking of the Weibull choise and value as the more interesting things.

AC Toolbox
Dougdi
Ahh, thanks. I just installed it. I also just got a Roli Seaboard Block and found Kyma wasn't responding properly in MPE mode, luckily she was able to get a quick fix into the new release. So I've been re-exploring Kyma and my other software using the Roli. Now I'd like a Lightpad Block too!

It's cool that you're doing these posts, I sometimes go months without opening Kyma. Are you planning on going to KISS this year?
peripatitis
Roland Kuit wrote:
Dougdi wrote:

The prototype is available in Symbolic Sound's latest Kyma software update. (January 5 2018).
Developed by Carla & Kurt. Also they made random more random and extended the seed expressions in Capytalk.

The AC Toolbox is developed by Paul Berg. One of my former teachers at the Institute for Sonology in Utrecht (before it went to The Hague where it is based now). This toolbox contains some chaotic systems and it speaks midi to the outside world. Thinking of the Weibull choise and value as the more interesting things.

AC Toolbox

It was on of Paul's exercises controlling kyma (capybara then) with AC Toolbox, that took me back some years smile
You need some basic knowledge of common lisp though to get the best of it...
bphenix
Every year I tell myself that I must go to KISS this year and every year I don't. I did a workshop at SSC HQ years ago (200?) and it was awesome.

Anyone know where it is at? I don't see anything on the website yet. I think it is usually North America every other year.
cebec
I think it's in Santa Cruz this year.
Dougdi
It's in Santa Cruz, California. I went to the 2012 KISS in St. Cloud and had the best time. It was a great group there, wonderful people from all over the world. And of course Carla and Kurt are fantastic folks. I'll go this year, I have a good friend I can visit with there.
bphenix
Dougdi wrote:
It's in Santa Cruz, California. I went to the 2012 KISS in St. Cloud and had the best time. It was a great group there, wonderful people from all over the world. And of course Carla and Kurt are fantastic folks. I'll go this year, I have a good friend I can visit with there.

While I think I'd prefer to visit Oslo, Santa Cruz is nice and it is an easier trip for me. I am going to do my best to attend this year.
Roland Kuit
bphenix wrote:
For Kyma users, I am going to try to post a new sound each week to the community library. Goals like that help keep me focused on creating new stuff and I get as much or more enjoyment out of creating new kyma examples than I often do from creating compositions.

I just posted an example of using a granular oscillator into a key tracking resonator.

Hi Ben, a good sound you've uploaded. Thanks!
Roland Kuit
All these years I worked with many sorts of equipment. I noticed that a system is as good as the amount of ways it can produce noise.
In Kyma there are countless ways to create noise structures. This is only one of many:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10