MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deluge sampler+synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Deluge sampler+synth
nangu
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/07/synthstrom-audible-intros -deluge-sequencer-synthesizer-sampler/

Piano-roll-style sequencing on 128 full RGB pads (16×8) with scrolling and zooming.

Internal synthesizer engine (subtractive and FM).

Plays samples from SD card (up to 32GB SDHC).

Sequencing, limited only by available RAM (many thousands of notes).

Polyphony limited only by CPU. Typically around 48 synth voices or 64 unaffected sample voices may play.

64MB of sample ram – work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples at once.

Live adjustment of synth and effect parameters with two endless-turn encoders with LED level-meters. Easy buttons to select the functions these control.

Advanced syncing capabilities. Weird time signatures supported. Adjustable swing.

Dedicated volume and tempo knobs.

LFOs and envelopes on each synth / sample. Highly customizable patching matrix.

Synthesizer engine features LPF / HPF, arpeggiator, portamento, oscillator sync, ring modulation, unison detune, and more. Four basic waveforms, or select any WAV file from the SD card.

FX including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, bitcrushing, sidechain effect, live stutter, and more.

Keyboard mode, where the pads become a live instrument on a 2D grid.

Internal speaker, rechargeable Li-ion battery, and microphone

Mic and line inputs.

Two ¼” line outputs, and 3.5mm headphone output.

2x CV outputs. 0 – 10V, individually configurable to 1, 1.2, 0.26 or 0.32 volts per octave, or to hertz per volt.

4x gate / trigger outputs individually configurable to v-trig or s-trig, with shared voltage switchable between 5V and 12V. Trigger clock output configurable, up to 192 PPQN.

Trigger clock input, also with adjustable PPQN.

MIDI input and output via hardware connectors or USB.

Powered via USB or 9 – 12V centre-negative (pedal-style) power supply (500mA) (not included).

User-upgradeable firmware

Dimensions: 305mm x 208mm x 46mm (12 x 8.2 x 1.8 inches).
stikygum
Only 2 encoders? Wonder how intuitive it is. Seems like it could be cool though.
SineBrave
nangu wrote:
SineBrave wrote:
Anyone have an idea how much it will cost?

The only price info I've found is that it'll be "somewhere between Circuit and Octatrack". So between $330 and $1250.

They built 20 units of a smaller version of the Deluge- it has a 4x8 grid instead of the 8x16 grid that will be on the full production version.

Looks like the big one will be a beast:

Thanks, mate.

I actually just got a Circuit and it's quite nice for the price. But a $600 Delige would be a monster.
scottmoon
They've released details and videos along with prices.
http://www.synthstrom.com/delugeorder.html
Jcsveth
Not hating at all - but why, oh why, in this age of $4 graphical displays, do these incredibly in-depth machines have just LEDs with cryptic shorthand words? These aren't even alpha-numeric LEDs! hmmm..... This looks a bit like the Spectralis and even its 2 x 40 character LCD display is woefully inadequate. I just do not get it.
Other than that - this looks like a great effort. Maybe at some point, the pads can be used to enter values so that the encoder twisting is not as bad. Will be watching with interest.
CF3
Jcsveth wrote:
Not hating at all - but why, oh why, in this age of $4 graphical displays, do these incredibly in-depth machines have just LEDs with cryptic shorthand words? These aren't even alpha-numeric LEDs! hmmm..... This looks a bit like the Spectralis and even its 2 x 40 character LCD display is woefully inadequate. I just do not get it.
Other than that - this looks like a great effort. Maybe at some point, the pads can be used to enter values so that the encoder twisting is not as bad. Will be watching with interest.

My thoughts exactly. Why no screen on a sampler? It's unnecessarily arcane. The rest of the machine is impressive. Especially the button matrix. At least you can import pre-edited samples, so there is a workaround of sorts.
nangu
I was also kinda worried about the display, but the walkthrough videos make it seem pretty simple to navigate.

2017 will be a great year for polymetric sequencing on big grids. Deluge should ship towards the end of March. I'm guessing that Polyend's SEQ will probably be available a month or two before then. They both look brilliant..
stk
Nice sequencing interface, and pretty good price too.

What a damn shame about the lack out outputs though, that totally kills my otherwise significant interest in this.

An "all in one" groovebox with a single stereo out is just dumb seriously, i just don't get it
stikygum
nangu wrote:
I was also kinda worried about the display, but the walkthrough videos make it seem pretty simple to navigate.

2017 will be a great year for polymetric sequencing on big grids. Deluge should ship towards the end of March. I'm guessing that Polyend's SEQ will probably be available a month or two before then. They both look brilliant..

Yeah, I'd say the biggest difference is that the Deluge has note sequencing instead of just hits. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement into the SEQ though.

Nevertheless, the Deluge has sample import with mangling options and nice effects, which automatically makes it an all in one piece of equipment. I feel like the Deluge is where some other x0x boxes have been trying to get to. Good to see Synthstrom make it there. It looks like a winner so far. Would prefer to have an iPad editor available for those that don't want to tweak through the buttons and knobs.
stikygum
Jcsveth wrote:

Yeah I've been wondering about this too. I kind of see they were going for a less convoluted front panel...maybe, but I would've preferred a screen like on the DSI Pro 2 with 4 knobs under it for tweaking everything.
nangu
stikygum wrote:
nangu wrote:
I'm guessing that Polyend's SEQ will probably be available a month or two before then. They both look brilliant..

Yeah, I'd say the biggest difference is that the Deluge has note sequencing instead of just hits. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement into the SEQ though.

Note sequencing on SEQ is already happening- Piotr from Polyend posted this in the Gearslutz thread..

PiotrRaczynski wrote:
We hear you guys. For sure there will be note and length per step implemented. Also we are thinking about adding cv pitch and cv velocity for each track.

I emailed Piotr and asked for a way to throw resets at SEQ, either through standard modular clock+reset jacks or over MIDI. He said that was a very good idea..

SEQ and Deluge are so awesome that I'll have to buy both. Resistance is futile. SlayerBadger!
stikygum
Nice to hear the SEQ has note sequencing. These will be tough to resist.

Really want to find out if the Deluge has glide/slide between steps of a sequence.
nangu
stikygum wrote:
Really want to find out if the Deluge has glide/slide between steps of a sequence.

He very briefly shows portamento as a part of the synth engine at 6:24 in the second walkthrough vid, but doesn't say whether it's constant time or constant rate. Also no word on whether it's active all the time, or can be set to only trigger on overlapping notes.

There will be an Elektron-style "Parameter Lock" feature added soon- presumably we'll be able to turn portamento on or off for certain steps of a sequence that way..
22tape
so it doesn't actually sample then? if not, it's not a sampler sad banana
CF3
22tape wrote:
so it doesn't actually sample then? if not, it's not a sampler sad banana

Yes it samples, watch the videos. It just doesn't have a screen, so editing will be less than elegant .
22tape
Do you know which video? I watched them all and didn't see anything about actually sampling. Though I did skip through them here and there... those are long videos.

This is why I assumed that it didn't sample--

"up to 12 minutes of sample playback from SD card"
22tape
I can't find that quote now. Maybe someone butchered the spec. On Synthstrom's site, and as nangu listed, it says "64MB of sample ram - work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples per song." So that sounds good.
CF3
22tape wrote:
Do you know which video? I watched them all and didn't see anything about actually sampling. Though I did skip through them here and there... those are long videos.

This is why I assumed that it didn't sample--

"up to 12 minutes of sample playback from SD card"

29:40 of the first video

22tape
Beautiful, thanks.

Threshold recording would be a nice addition.
22tape
Crazeebo wrote:
you can have as many rows/effects/samples as you have RAM.

So this means that the track count itself is also only limited by RAM? So we can have, say, 32 different instrument tracks/rows as long as the RAM can handle it?

I assume we can edit the sample's end time as well?

Guinness ftw!
myecholalia
yes and yes.
the deluge turns out great, i think.
pre-order put in.
22tape
nice!

does anyone know if there's a trim function for samples? ie, once the start/end points have been set, can you delete the head/tail of the unused portion of the sample? it'd be great to conserve every bit of the 64mb.

how about a manual? will there be one before the pre-order price ends? i want to jump all over this but it'd be great to know detailed functions. i'm not one to jump on early releases with potential annoying bugs but this thing looks wicked Rockin' Banana!
stikygum
I don't think it's been specified if there is trim function. That would be nice though. However, being able to define start and end points would be just as effective, except dealing with wasted ram space. I'm not sure when, but there must be a manual coming at some point. When that happens is tough to say because I'm sure they have a lot of priorities right now to get this thing rolling.
pirimaipolymer
http://nzmusician.co.nz/features/deluge-nzs-world-leading-groovebox/
stikygum
Also looking forward to seeing a sample chopping/slicing feature implemented.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 2 of 14