MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deluge sampler+synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Deluge sampler+synth
Koryo
emojiseq wrote:
...a bummer you cant assign the outs.

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. I have two Polys and I assign each of the 16 channels with the Deluge all day long.
Koryo
Deluge firmware V2.0.0 released!

Hells yeah!
emojiseq
Koryo wrote:
emojiseq wrote:
...a bummer you cant assign the outs.

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. I have two Polys and I assign each of the 16 channels with the Deluge all day long.

I guess I mean like to setup all 4 outputs of one row to each be triggers for example instead of pitch/gate/velocity/mod, I believe that's doable with the expert sleepers/shuttle control?

Definitely interested to know more about your setup I took a brief look at the poly manual and I was curious how you get the 2nd unit to respond to channels 9-16 as it looks like the module is setup to default 1-8?

Thanks smile
Koryo
Yes, each row on the Poly is always, Gate/Pitch/Velocity/Mod. That's not the fault of the Deluge.

There are switches on the back of the poly that make it configurable. One of them shifts it from MIDI channel 1, parts 1~8 to parts 9~16.

Yes, the FH-2 is much more configurable but:

1. It was and is as of 6/27/18 is not available yet.
2. The output jack to money ratio for the FH-2 is poor.
3. Personalty I prefer the dedicated row structure of the Poly. It makes patching easier, and it never needs a computer.
rean1mator
After reading this thread with all the glowing reviews, I finally broke down and ordered one yesterday, crappy screen and all hihi

Quick question, can the Deluge get any significant performance gains between using:
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I Card 95MB/s
VS
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-II Card 300MB/s

Wondering if I should pay the extra amount for the UHS-ii card vs UHS i
Koryo
rean1mator wrote:
performance gains...300MB/s

Yes, before the update I upgraded to a 32GB Toshiba FlashAir W-04 (which you should look at because of Downrush) and it was significantly faster during loads.
Koryo
I upgraded this:

emojiseq
Koryo wrote:
Yes, each row on the Poly is always, Gate/Pitch/Velocity/Mod. That's not the fault of the Deluge.

There are switches on the back of the poly that make it configurable. One of them shifts it from MIDI channel 1, parts 1~8 to parts 9~16.

Yes, the FH-2 is much more configurable but:

1. It was and is as of 6/27/18 is not available yet.
2. The output jack to money ratio for the FH-2 is poor.
3. Personalty I prefer the dedicated row structure of the Poly. It makes patching easier, and it never needs a computer.

Thanks for clearing that up, I ordered a Poly today so looking forward to that crazyness, I think I can setup my CVOCD on the other channels for now and that should provide more than enough for my setup.

I think I saw you're also a fan of the Nerdseq. I got one and I have been enjoying it a bit but it's less intuitive than the Deluge for sure and I am feeling like the Poly'd up Deluge might do what I need. What scenarios do you find yourself using the Nerdseq? Do you have videos up anywhere?
rean1mator
Thanks! just ordered one.

Unrelated question:
I did a search for the term "sysex" in teh manual and nothing comes up.

I'd like to be able to take my ableton midi sequences and upload them to the Deluge as I do alot my my recording in Ableton using a midi keyboard.

Does the Deluge support transferring midi sequences over sysex?

Koryo wrote:
rean1mator wrote:
performance gains...300MB/s

Yes, before the update I upgraded to a 32GB Toshiba FlashAir W-04 (which you should look at because of Downrush) and it was significantly faster during loads.
Snail
Hi folks,

The Deluge looks amazing. I love traveling with my OP-1 and/or Octatrack and this looks like it could replace the Octatrack and be a lot more intuitive and fun.

The sequencing looks very immediate. I wonder if anyone would care to comment on how this is/is not like the forthcoming Dreadbox Medusa? I played with the Medusa recently and didn’t quite gel with it instantly. Preferred the sound and immediacy of the Erebus. But it also has grid/pad interface. (I currently don’t have anything with that kind of interface).
robleighton22
I would take a guess that the workflow is better as Rohan the developer is a genius. Looking at the box isn't too inspiring but really getting into the workflow identifies an element of fun and simplicity that is lacking in say Elektrons design.

There are shortfalls, prob most in detailed sample editing...which doesn't really exist. But a host of other features most hardware sequencers. Not sure if the Medusa does bi directional sequencing, which is something I would like to see if the Deluge. Also I'm sure the synth is much better, but the unlimited polyphony is hard to beat in the Deluge.
Snail
Thanks. I already have plenty of synths so I wouldn’t be looking to the Deluge primarily for that, although I’m sure I would use the onboard synth also since it’s there. I’m placing my Deluge order this week. It looks like an amazing device. I wish more synth manufacturers would try to make their devices as intuitive and easy to use as possible. As much as I love my Octatrack, the Elektron approach does baffle me sometimes. The OT also has a bit of a hard sound and I find the 8 tracks limiting — also don’t like the effects much.

I wonder if anyone uses the OT and Deluge together? Would that be an intriguing combo or just not enough added functionality for the space. I’m wondering what best to pair the Deluge with. Maybe Deluge + OP1 as then I have a keyboard too?
Koryo
Snail wrote:
...Maybe Deluge + OP1 as then I have a keyboard too?

I doubt you will use your OP-1 anymore. For pure keyboard-ness I have it paired with a Linnstrument.
hardwarecore
Snail wrote:
I’m wondering what best to pair the Deluge with. Maybe Deluge + OP1 as then I have a keyboard too?

If we're talking about staying in roughly the same price range that a used OT would inhabit, I'd say the MPC Live (for ultimate portability) or maybe the SP-16. They both have excellent, responsive pads to make up for one of the Deluge's main shortcomings. They also both handle phrase sampling much more intuitively (imo) than the Deluge, while the Deluge is possibly better for sample based synthesis.

Another option that might be fun could be a Spectralis. It's fully multitimbral
and it would be nice drive it with the Deluge's super intuitive sequencer (especially with the new arranger mode). And it makes any samples you run though it sound absolutely wonderful. Maybe Deluge, Spectralis and something like a Keystep so that you have some velocity sensitivity.

In any case, for ME, the Deluge does pretty much everything I used the Octatrack for when I had one, so the OT is nowhere near my wantlist these days. Prior to the Deluge, I had thought about possibly getting one again but see no need anymore.
emojiseq
Koryo wrote:
Snail wrote:

I doubt you will use your OP-1 anymore. For pure keyboard-ness I have it paired with a Linnstrument.

Does the linnstrument pair nicely w/ deluge despite it not having mpe support?
Koryo
emojiseq wrote:
Koryo wrote:
Snail wrote:

Does the linnstrument pair nicely w/ deluge despite it not having mpe support?

MIDI can be fully configured so it does support MPE.
Nibson
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these as apparently they are nearly out of stock....

I would be really grateful if anyone with a euro setup can answer me something. I was planning on getting a Deluge and a midi to CV converter (most likely shuttle control).

Beside sending standard voice data how hard is it to use the Deluge as a modulation source. For example could you add 3 midi tracks on the Deluge, record an automation on each track and then route the midi tracks to 3 different modules CV inputs?

From the videos and posts I've read here this seems possible. However if a project is saved and Deluge is powered off and back on would the mappings on the 3 example midi tracks mentioned above be saved and reloaded when the project/song was opened again?
Koryo
Nibson wrote:
...how hard is it to use the Deluge as a modulation source.

I can't speak for Shuttle Control but I make all types of modulations with the Deluge.

Methods:
1. program the pitch as a voltage output.
2. use the gates as clocks
3. use multiple tracks of gates of varying step lengths and use probability on them
4. use the probability and random functions for variety on pitch
5. with the vertical scroll knob and the audition, record pitch sweeps
6. now with firmware 2.0 program a cc to a gold knob, record the position
7. with the Linnstrument, record all manor of sweeps, bleeps, and blips.
Nibson
Thanks for the response. I pulled the trigger smile It sounds like it will do what I'm after.
Nibson
Well it arrived surprisingly quickly. I haven't used it loads yet but I'm really enjoying it! It's incredibly simple to use and best of all you can save midi automations and replay them.

For anyone interested in the setup/workflow for eurorack just connect the Deluge to a midi to CV / midi interface module and then do the following on the Deluge:

Set the track to midi
Assign the gold knob to a midi CC (I have a Yarns so I chose CC1 which is the mod wheel and comes out as CV3 on Yarns)
Connect the CV out of the midi interface module to a CV input for any module
Press record on the deluge and do a sweep with the gold knob
press play on the Deluge and see the automation replayed

If you save the song then both the CC assignment to the golden knob and automation are preserved.[/list]
4eyez
robleighton22 wrote:
There are shortfalls, prob most in detailed sample editing...which doesn't really exist.

Looks like that's about to change:

4eyez
Also, if anyone is looking for a MIDI to CV module to go with the Deluge beyond it's built-in outputs, I highly recommend CV.OCD. I picked up two of them recently and it's a great match. So many different ways to configure it, from simple sequencable gates, polyphonic v/oct+gate voice control, or CC modulation with the gold knobs which can be recorded and played back by the Deluge. Feels pretty endless.
4eyez
Snail wrote:
I wonder if anyone would care to comment on how this is/is not like the forthcoming Dreadbox Medusa? I played with the Medusa recently and didn’t quite gel with it instantly. Preferred the sound and immediacy of the Erebus. But it also has grid/pad interface. (I currently don’t have anything with that kind of interface).

I have a Deluge currently and I'm planning on getting a Medusa to go along with it. The Deluge currently functions as the brain of my setup which basically means sequencing duties, it's really intuitive and quick for this. I see the sampling and synth functions of it as additional perks. I was starting to doubt the quality of it's synth engine, but then I started playing with single cycle waveforms and it's new analog filter and I was getting some really gnarly sounds.

Reasons I think the Medusa would be a nice compliment or expansion of what the Deluge does:

-Better "keyboard" mode. The Deluge keys are small for playing like a keyboard, but totally fine for sequencing. The Medusa keys look like a much for playable size. The Deluge doesn't have velocity sensitivity, so the Medusa would bring that plus all the X/Y/aftertouch action. Medusa also looks like you can really customize the note layout in keyboard mode beyond just a push-style scale layout.

-While I did mention the synth engine was growing on me, I do like the idea of having much more hands on access to all the synth parameters at once. The Deluge is the least annoying "menu-diving" experience I've had with a desktop, but it's not the same has having all the parameters available with dedicated knobs/buttons.

-Nothing wrong with more sequencers. The Deluge sequencer is great for straight beat programming and there are some fun things to explore with the random arpeg, etc. But the Medusa seems like it handle sequence mangling a lot deeper. I like the idea of having one straight sequencer and one wacked out one.

-And I've just always dreamed of an analog synth with a grid keyboard!
termit
Some more info on 2.1 firmware update:

gringostar
Looking at samplers and I wanted to know how this handles the old trick of sampling something and then pitching down 3 octaves. Is it pristine like in kontact or does it color the sound a bit like with older boxes?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 12 of 14