MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deluge sampler+synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 [all]
Author Deluge sampler+synth
Birth_Chord
Considering the Deluge to pair with the Octatrack... I just need more drums really. I'm not the biggest fan of having to resample drum beats every time and I also don't like single track monophonic drum beats usually especially when I usually use acoustic samples.

I have an Octatrack, bit of musical-focused modular, DSI OB-6, and my guitar... I'm torn between this and the MPC Live... I feel like the OT + Deluge might be just a bit too much to properly handle without under-utilizing one or the other but I'm really drawn to it.

Any comments on owning the Deluge with an OT or should I go with the MPC Live for drum focus?
WilDFire
I have both the deluge and the octatrack and they both do drums very well - both have probablistic sequencing. I think the main limitation is that you only have the one set of outputs from the deluge - but you could have the same pattern with a 100 different kits on the deluge.

Note that I also have a machine drum and tr-8s. The tr-8s is my main drum machine - love it to death.
Birth_Chord
WilDFire wrote:
I have both the deluge and the octatrack and they both do drums very well - both have probablistic sequencing. I think the main limitation is that you only have the one set of outputs from the deluge - but you could have the same pattern with a 100 different kits on the deluge.

Note that I also have a machine drum and tr-8s. The tr-8s is my main drum machine - love it to death.

I was actually just watching videos on the TR-8s... it’s now between that and the MPC Live. Deluge is amazing but I don’t think it’s primarily suited to what I need. Can’t really figure out what I could use more. With the MPC I can add essentially anything extra I need but the TR looks very fun to play.
WilDFire
The tr-8s is SO much fun to play. Sound quality is excellent, you can add your own samples, individual outs. It rules. But I’ve never been an mpc guy so can’t help you there.
brandonlogic
I've had the deluge for a couple months know. Initially it seemed really easy to pick up on and learn, but after diving deeper into its functions it's starting to feel a little less intuitive. lots of button presses and combinations and processes that are hard to remember. the screen/abbreviations are annoying. i feel like every time i use it now i need to looks at the manual. just so many little things you need to remember... hopefully it stats to sync in and i dont get discouraged and sell the thing. but i still have hope.
lumin
brandonlogic wrote:
I've had the deluge for a couple months know. Initially it seemed really easy to pick up on and learn, but after diving deeper into its functions it's starting to feel a little less intuitive. lots of button presses and combinations and processes that are hard to remember. the screen/abbreviations are annoying. i feel like every time i use it now i need to looks at the manual. just so many little things you need to remember... hopefully it stats to sync in and i dont get discouraged and sell the thing. but i still have hope.

I dealt with this as well. I started to find my way around it after a few months of constant usage, but occasionally I have to reference the manual to find how to use a function I normally don't use. It does get easier with more time spent.
jabberwalky
I've heard essentially the same experience regarding the Octatrack, where the button combos tend to drip out of the brain after a few months. Hell, even expert guitarists admit to feeling rusty after too much time away. Like many of these modern sequencers, they're designed and intended to be treated as instruments. With the full midi CC implementation, there's a plethora of control and surface options you could configure into something more tactile, and less "sea of buttons".
mcpepe
The Deluge is a very powerful machine, so it's normal to need some time to learn it properly.
What I can say is that the learning process was a lot shorter with my Deluge than with my Octatrack, for sure.
Birth_Chord
I came from the Digitakt to the Octatrack and tried multuple Elektron boxes before that, so there wasn't really much of a learning curve besides a few different shortcuts, legit slicing, the machines, and some internal nuances like a consistently saved state.

The Deluge would be like starting all over again. I'd like to try one at some point, maybe if I get a good deal... I got the PreSonus ATOM controller as I use Studio One, and even the pad shortcuts there aren't my thing even if I learned them all in 20 minutes (not a very in depth machine).

However, practice is always the answer. Until it becomes muscle memory there will always be a bit of disconnect between the desire and action. I found that even when I knew the OT inside out, if I didn't practice it every week, my workflow speed, let alone performance chops, would take a hit for sure.
Christopher Winkels
I finally decided to stop prevaricating and purchased one yesterday.

Ian of Synthstrom gave a very compelling demo of it at SB19 last month and nothing in the videos I've watched since (much to Mrs. Winkels's dismay...) have done anything to dissuade me. I'm actually a bit attracted to the fact that there will be a learning curve. I've avoided that kind of gear for the last few years, possibly to my detriment.
brandonlogic
I decided I need to part with it, see my post in FST or pm me if interested.
Poldenstein
One of the features that doesn't get mentioned enough is the superb customer care.
Look at me: after one year and a half of usage, beta testing v3 showed a previously unnoticed hardware problem. I had the unit sent at the other side of the globe and back and the motherboard replaced in less than 10 days and without shelling a penny. Now back to beta testing that gorgeous looper..
Fentune
Poldenstein wrote:
One of the features that doesn't get mentioned enough is the superb customer care.
Look at me: after one year and a half of usage, beta testing v3 showed a previously unnoticed hardware problem. I had the unit sent at the other side of the globe and back and the motherboard replaced in less than 10 days and without shelling a penny. Now back to beta testing that gorgeous looper..

What was the hardware issue? Hope it isn't on every unit!
Poldenstein
(I wanted to praise Synthstrom's excellent policy, and now I start to worry if I would have better avoided it..)
It was an intermittent ram issue, totally not related to the beta (!!). I guess a quite rare one too.
slumberjack
I'm now in between this and akai force. I must admit that I attended a private marketing show in a friends studio a few years back and that I was pretty impressed as a cirklon user.
Fentune
Poldenstein wrote:
(I wanted to praise Synthstrom's excellent policy, and now I start to worry if I would have better avoided it..)
It was an intermittent ram issue, totally not related to the beta (!!). I guess a quite rare one too.

Did the RAM issue affect internal clock speed? Was there any BPM drifting?
Poldenstein
Fentune wrote:

Not at all. In my experience with Deluge timing has always been rock solid.
It caused the unit to crash.

(And, BTW, V3 IS OUT!!!!!!)
Fentune
Poldenstein wrote:
Fentune wrote:

Not at all. In my experience with Deluge timing has always been rock solid.
It caused the unit to crash.

(And, BTW, V3 IS OUT!!!!!!)

I can't believe the amount of support and updates the deluge gets- and there's more to come...wavetables anyone? It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 [all]
Page 14 of 14