MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deluge sampler+synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Deluge sampler+synth
22tape
holy shit i just preordered. i never preorder Rockin' Banana!
Prints
stikygum wrote:
Also looking forward to seeing a sample chopping/slicing feature implemented.

Is there any way to modulate these pitch shifting parameters with an LFO or parameter locks?
stikygum
Prints wrote:

Is there any way to modulate these pitch shifting parameters with an LFO or parameter locks?

Yeah, you can modulate it seems any parameter with the LFOs. I'm not completely sure if it has parameter locks, but you can record automation into.
nangu
Parameter locks are coming, but aren't actually implemented yet. Or at least they hadn't been implemented yet when somebody wrote whatever I read. Could have been on Facebook or in the comments section after one of the articles that's been written about it- I don't remember exactly where it was.

They put the manual online today, and have added a free option to have all the shortcuts painted onto the front panel. That should help to minimize menu diving:

http://www.synthstrom.com/delugeorder.html

There's also another video:
stikygum
The manual is finally up, but the setup shortcut buttons for many of the Deluge parameters, using the matrix pads. Seems like a really great idea.

http://www.synthstrom.com/delugeorder.html

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FAeJ5f1sl3kKJgvbKmGRe3PIMjkaYrh3eA XF05PAV6k/edit
nangu
Bump! Preorders close on Friday.

Here's a new video- probably only useful because it shows the thing in use from many different angles. Somehow I'd gotten the idea that it was maybe 20% bigger than it really is..

22tape
has it been 4 months yet??? hyper
stikygum
Definitely glad I got in on the preorder. I'll try to keep preoccupied with other gear. razz
Prints
I guess it'll cost $1450 now. I wonder if the Jomox box is going to cost much more than that.
clusterchord
nangu wrote:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/07/synthstrom-audible-intros -deluge-sequencer-synthesizer-sampler/

Piano-roll-style sequencing on 128 full RGB pads (16×8) with scrolling and zooming.

Internal synthesizer engine (subtractive and FM).

Plays samples from SD card (up to 32GB SDHC).

Sequencing, limited only by available RAM (many thousands of notes).

Polyphony limited only by CPU. Typically around 48 synth voices or 64 unaffected sample voices may play.

64MB of sample ram – work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples at once.

Live adjustment of synth and effect parameters with two endless-turn encoders with LED level-meters. Easy buttons to select the functions these control.

Advanced syncing capabilities. Weird time signatures supported. Adjustable swing.

Dedicated volume and tempo knobs.

LFOs and envelopes on each synth / sample. Highly customizable patching matrix.

Synthesizer engine features LPF / HPF, arpeggiator, portamento, oscillator sync, ring modulation, unison detune, and more. Four basic waveforms, or select any WAV file from the SD card.

FX including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, bitcrushing, sidechain effect, live stutter, and more.

Keyboard mode, where the pads become a live instrument on a 2D grid.

Internal speaker, rechargeable Li-ion battery, and microphone

Mic and line inputs.

Two ¼” line outputs, and 3.5mm headphone output.

2x CV outputs. 0 – 10V, individually configurable to 1, 1.2, 0.26 or 0.32 volts per octave, or to hertz per volt.

4x gate / trigger outputs individually configurable to v-trig or s-trig, with shared voltage switchable between 5V and 12V. Trigger clock output configurable, up to 192 PPQN.

Trigger clock input, also with adjustable PPQN.

MIDI input and output via hardware connectors or USB.

Powered via USB or 9 – 12V centre-negative (pedal-style) power supply (500mA) (not included).

User-upgradeable firmware

Dimensions: 305mm x 208mm x 46mm (12 x 8.2 x 1.8 inches).

i was real excited about this as it ticks a lot of boxes for live performance... especially synchronisation and cv sequencing - until i read the above.

anything even remotely geared towards "professionals" and "only Two ¼” line outputs" simply does not compute.

at this day and age, with so many options, you can't possibly expect us to be limited to whatever effects, eq and other things you pack into that machine to submix everything to two channels.

lot of us already have high end reverb and delay pedals that are tweakable, small mixers for live tweaking of sends, levels, eq etc. its impossible to achieve the same ammount of tweakability, or sonics, with this control panel with a single machine. getting at least kick and bass out separately goes without saying, but IMO 6 to 8ch is minimum. like old Elektrons and MPCs, Jomox, MFB, Tempest, Emu, Rytm etc..

even Akai (that was out of touch for a few years) is finally coming back with two new hw MPCs with - individual outputs.
nangu
Yeah, the lack of individual outputs is a bummer. I'll be able to work around it by exporting stems to other samplers and/or sequencing other gear from the Deluge. So it's really just an inconvenience for me, not a dealbreaker..

There's a new video out- parameter automation looks excellent:

22tape
the magnetic overlay is a nifty idea...

Soon, you guys, soon! nanners
Dob
As a software developer I don't want to be behind a screen when making music, and this box offers just that.

I was going to have it next to my modular, but as it turns out I'm on the couch with this thing. It's battery powered if you wish... I had an OP-1 before, but I didn't click with the workflow having to record to virtual tape all the time.

Well, this Deluge totally clicks with my workflow.

I couldn't believe the stereo out at first either, but given the amount of possibilities at this price point, it's just an inconvenience. The Digitakt also just offers stereo out.

I'm sketching stuff out at the couch, knowing I will probably replace synth tracks with midi/modular/outboard anyway, once back in the studio.
But then again, the end result isn't even that bad, soundwise.
I haven't really dived into the synth section yet... But with a modular up in the attic... Don't think I will.

Parameter locks are dead easy... And very powerful.

And I love the keyboard mode. The way the notes are arranged, highlighting the scale and root notes.... Perfect for me.

The software has some bugs though, but the beta I just installed fixed all of the onces that bothered me. (Like long samples being cut off)

It's such a brilliant, well thought-out package. It's plain old FUN!
At last I click with a "groovebox".

I thought it would be my hardware sequencer and sampler, turns out it's that as well as the perfect sketchpad.
stikygum
Everything you said is true. I don't think enough people understand the potential of this machine. A lot of people are stuck in the Elektron world going googoo over their products and aren't paying attention to this or flat out just don't want to believe something has come up that rivals and possibly outperforms Elektron. Elektron boxes still have a lot going for them too, but I prefer the Deluge because of the effects automation and the quick sample management. Elektron is terrible with sample management. The Deluge is a great and quick sketchpad and sampler imo. The VA synths are a nice addition, but I'm particular about my synths, so I see myself using them as sketchpads.
samn
I love my deluge its definitely killed my GAS for any hardware sequencer or grooveboxes. It is really dead simple to use and I'm excited for its future.
ramos808
It's damn expensive
ramos808
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive, but looks great
stikygum
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Considering everything it does and includes, it's really not. It's more expensive possibly than other stuff out there, maybe (even though it has more features), but it's a new small company. That's what happens when you don't have larger companies producing mass quantities of stuff. That's reality and economics.
ramos808
stikygum wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Considering everything it does and includes, it's really not. It's more expensive possibly than other stuff out there, maybe (even though it has more features), but it's a new small company. That's what happens when you don't have larger companies producing mass quantities of stuff. That's reality and economics.

Good point.

I think it would have been a good idea to release a version without the synth, would be much cheaper.

I dont need it for synth parts, only sequencing other synths and sampling etc.

The internal synth sounds are never going to be as good as most outboard gear.
samn
ramos808 wrote:
stikygum wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Good point.

I think it would have been a good idea to release a version without the synth, would be much cheaper.

I sort of agree but the way the synth engine is set up lends itself so well to sample mangling that I am glad it is there. For example you can load a sample into an oscillator and then layer a synth over it with osc2 and add filter so on and so forth..
stikygum
samn wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
stikygum wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Good point.

I sort of agree but the way the synth engine is set up lends itself so well to sample mangling that I am glad it is there. For example you can load a sample into an oscillator and then layer a synth over it with osc2 and add filter so on and so forth..

Exactly, layering is nice on here to give stuff an extra dimension to the sound.
Nelson Baboon
curiously, I had written this off awhile back, mostly because I just looked at it quite superficially. the synth part didn't look that interesting, so fuck it, was my attitude.

But I've revisted, and bloody hell. This thing looks great. From one video at least, this will really allow me to mangle and sequence my violin to a nice extreme.

This thread hasn't been added to in awhile. How many users do we have here? What DON'T you like about this machine? Is the tempo range really as extreme as I've seen posted (0 - 9999)? Obviously midi won't work practically at those tempos, but what about cv?).

(I bought and am enjoying my octatrack mk2, but if I had known about this, I probably would have bought it instead. But why do so few people seem to have it?)
donato
Nelson Baboon wrote:
curiously, I had written this off awhile back, mostly because I just looked at it quite superficially. the synth part didn't look that interesting, so fuck it, was my attitude.

But I've revisted, and bloody hell. This thing looks great. From one video at least, this will really allow me to mangle and sequence my violin to a nice extreme.

This thread hasn't been added to in awhile. How many users do we have here? What DON'T you like about this machine? Is the tempo range really as extreme as I've seen posted (0 - 9999)? Obviously midi won't work practically at those tempos, but what about cv?).

(I bought and am enjoying my octatrack mk2, but if I had known about this, I probably would have bought it instead. But why do so few people seem to have it?)

I bought one after much research, won't have it in my hands for a couple of months though. A lot more discussion about it at gearslutz and the forum on the synthstrom deluge website. However, the most active place is the user group on facebook. I'd suggest looking there as there are several new threads posted per day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1901933516792895/

Also here's an interesting four part blog from a guy talking about/struggling with what he should keep (titled, 'Decisions: Can't Keep Them All') out of an Octatrack I, Deluge, Digitakt and MPC Live:

pt1- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/22/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -1/

pt2- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/24/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -2/

pt3- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/27/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -3-elektron-digitakt/

pt4- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/31/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -4mpc-live/
stikygum
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I have one. If you have more questions, ask away. So what don't I like about this machine, well, I'll say that I don't care for the onboard synth sounds, but I do like it as a sampler as well as using samples for the Osc waveform. As a Osc waveform, you basically treat as such, whereas if you use in sampler mode, then you can time stretch and all that. I will say this. The Deluge is going to be way quicker than your Octatrack. Now I haven't used the Octa, but have used the Elektron interface. Saving shit is so much easier than Elektron gear. And while I don't think the synthesis engine is that awesome sounding, I like it quite a bit when messing up samples. And automating is very easy for both motion record and P locking.

The tempo range is indeed extreme. That's no joke. I'm actually not sure about CV. I will try that.

So few people have the Deluge because people have gone all aboard the Elektron train. Elektron has everyone by the balls so much, people don't even feel the desire to look at other products. I could only imagine if Synthstrom were to put analog filters/vcas in the a future Deluge box. That would slay Elektron boxes.

Again, I'm so happy the Deluge is so damn easy to save sounds and patches. Elektrons are silly in that regard.

One thing I would like is more CV outs. This thing would be such a power in a modular setup if that were the case. Actually now that I'm on it, anyone have any ideas of like a breakout box to interface with the Deluge to CV modulate other Eurorack?
nangu
Nelson Baboon wrote:
How many users do we have here? What DON'T you like about this machine? Is the tempo range really as extreme as I've seen posted (0 - 9999)? Obviously midi won't work practically at those tempos, but what about cv?).

Adding a real screen would have made it easier to understand, but using the pads to show info in the way that they have actually works surprisingly well.

The built-in speaker has absolutely no bass response, so it’s not as good for battery-powered couch jams as I had expected. Kick drums and basslines can totally disappear. I’m very tempted to see whether I improve this by swapping out the speaker with something better..

I’m kind-of addicted to doing all my sample trimming and whatnot on the computer and then exporting files to my various boxes, so I haven’t actually done any sampling on the Deluge itself.

I haven’t done much with the ridiculously fast tempo possibilities either, beyond occasionally cranking something way up for a laugh.

The frequency and quality of the beta firmware updates has been amazing. New features get added all the time- it’s right up there with the Orthogonal Devices ER-301 in that regard..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 3 of 14