MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deluge sampler+synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Deluge sampler+synth
pirimaipolymer
http://www.alowhum.com/deluge-synthstrom.html

Soon to released sampler+synth machine. My brother has one of the prototypes and played live with it recently.
Has SD card for samples and built in FM synth and analog synth engine.
32 voice polyphony step sequencing mono and poly parts.
MIDI out+IN and CV gates.
I had a jam on one and was pretty impressed. Plus it's the first time an electronic instrument like this has been made in New Zealand.
Kernelkunt
Could be interesting, but there is not much info to be gleaned from their homepage. How about some specs and video demos?
Sir Ruff
yeah, there's more info in the OP's post than in the entire site or FB page.
richie
Looks like a promising groovebox but like everyone else says need more info and demos to bite razz
AdamJay
Interested! applause

This photo from Facebook gave me more insight/info.
pirimaipolymer
The version I used is different to the new one that is coming out. The new production model has more pads and the pads are normal sized whereas the prototype has raised buttons that are quite odd.

The impression that I got when jamming around on it was like a Novation Circuit mixed with an Electribe.
My brother has 19gigs of drum samples on the SD card so the unit can load any of those. Has 4 gate outs and CV out plus MIDI/IN/THRU.

The guy who designed it wants people to get away from using a computer and is geared up for live performance use.
Sir Ruff
Can you live sample into it?
h4ndcrafted
This is interesting to me, do we have velocity, and yes can we sample and edit ?
konnekshen
Please, God, let this have more than the usual & incredible stupid & limiting 4bars.

If you have a really good day, please make it at least 24 bars (for those who know...
pirimaipolymer
yeah the new version will be able to sample plus it will have phantom power and MIC input as well.

You can edit the sample length and start in the menu as well as use a ADSR on the sample as well. Has quite a few effects built in and the new version will have global effects also.

I'm sure you can have different length patterns as well. The number and length of the sequences depends on the memory.
revtor
Anyone catch the live "release" show today?
Crazeebo
i'm gonna have a hands on tonight! SlayerBadger!
apparently can also be battery operated and has a little speaker
Jim's computer beats
I'm pretty sure I'd be interested in this, at least I think... But there's not much information (some specs), no pics, no vids, only closed doors select demos. Why so secretive? That won't make me hold onto my money for it...
Crazeebo
so a small roundup:
first, the final machine hardware has 8 rows of 16 steps and on the right side there is a 8 row 2 step dedicated to functions like record/mute/prelisten/select or just plain trigger samples. once the the grid is running, you'll have to select sounds and place them into your composition. the hardware grid looks and feels exactly like a monome. the velocity is programed like in a lot of monome seq apps. select a step and choose a velocity via grid. there are dedicated endless knobs for most functions. the sequencer is quite powerful. focus mode lets you swiftly programm 1/64ths, clone, transpose single elements-whats demanded of a modern sequencer, but no crazy things like resets or reverse that can be had in a lot of analogue modules nowadays. each row can have effects (a new software update should give effects for individual steps) but the amount of effects and chain in which they affect each other are static and sometimes of not very good quality. the sidechain is impressive, distortion is not at all. knob motion can be recorded and edited- say, have the filter curve play panorama.
the synth is very basic but kind of ok, if i had a deluge i wouldnt be using it. the audio engine sounds really clean though. i guess with the right samples this can be really great sounding-we had the usual suspects of drumsounds, but you realised quickly that with personalised samples this can be very fun!
the deluge is capable of being a very cool drone machine! bpms go from zero to 9999...giving you instant timestretch madness. you could a have normal song going and transform it into madness within seconds.
all in all theres a few ideas from everywhere well put together and it all depends on the software thats inside it. another thing thats cool: you can have as many rows/effects/samples as you have RAM. once RAM is full and you still want to use samples etc. deluge will begin taking out samples that have been used first-so, dont start with a bassdrum hahaha i dont know how this is going to make any sense, but as said, its all in programming the OS.

really impressive is the hardware! slim, light, small but still big enough to get down live. the prototype (not the final version) has a powerful way of completely customizing all LED colors and behaving of these.
chargeable battery, a tiny speaker and a tiny microphone-this thing is so small that you can program your livegig in airplanes!
Crazeebo
Jim's computer beats wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'd be interested in this, at least I think... But there's not much information (some specs), no pics, no vids, only closed doors select demos. Why so secretive? That won't make me hold onto my money for it...

i was told its live on the 10th of october...a lot is in last software updates, when i arrived our demoprototype had a last software update ten minutes prior Mr. Green the final hardware machine wasnt running at all
Paranormal Patroler
This is particular to my interests
Jim's computer beats
Thanks Crazeebo for the information. We'll see on October 10th...

I guess it's still very early... I think I've read that they planed to take preorders at the end of next month, so I thought they were further along the development of the device.
Crazeebo
there will be videos and infos soon apparently. the final machine is incredible slick, it needs to be touched to believed, hahhaaa-the octatrack is heavy duty industrial style, the deluge is understatement stylish heavy duty.
and as for a prize quote, i got 'you'll like it'
acidstorm
since monome & octopus i want a step sequencer....
but Lauchpad,Maschine-jam,MatrixBrute,DrumBrute all aren't what i've looking for.....

this DELUGE seems to be what i have been waiting for!
Parametex
Well well well ... applause

Color me interested!
Parametex
Also ... LOVE the golden potentiometer caps!
SineBrave
Anything new on this machine. I see Oct 10th is passed.

applause
Parametex
Guess this is the launch event ...

SineBrave
Thank you, I did see that. I wish we knew more about the machine itself.

Anyone have an idea how much it will cost?
nangu
SineBrave wrote:

The only price info I've found is that it'll be "somewhere between Circuit and Octatrack". So between $330 and $1250.

They built 20 units of a smaller version of the Deluge- it has a 4x8 grid instead of the 8x16 grid that will be on the full production version.

Looks like the big one will be a beast:
nangu
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/07/synthstrom-audible-intros -deluge-sequencer-synthesizer-sampler/

Piano-roll-style sequencing on 128 full RGB pads (16×8) with scrolling and zooming.

Internal synthesizer engine (subtractive and FM).

Plays samples from SD card (up to 32GB SDHC).

Sequencing, limited only by available RAM (many thousands of notes).

Polyphony limited only by CPU. Typically around 48 synth voices or 64 unaffected sample voices may play.

64MB of sample ram – work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples at once.

Live adjustment of synth and effect parameters with two endless-turn encoders with LED level-meters. Easy buttons to select the functions these control.

Advanced syncing capabilities. Weird time signatures supported. Adjustable swing.

Dedicated volume and tempo knobs.

LFOs and envelopes on each synth / sample. Highly customizable patching matrix.

Synthesizer engine features LPF / HPF, arpeggiator, portamento, oscillator sync, ring modulation, unison detune, and more. Four basic waveforms, or select any WAV file from the SD card.

FX including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, bitcrushing, sidechain effect, live stutter, and more.

Keyboard mode, where the pads become a live instrument on a 2D grid.

Internal speaker, rechargeable Li-ion battery, and microphone

Mic and line inputs.

Two ¼” line outputs, and 3.5mm headphone output.

2x CV outputs. 0 – 10V, individually configurable to 1, 1.2, 0.26 or 0.32 volts per octave, or to hertz per volt.

4x gate / trigger outputs individually configurable to v-trig or s-trig, with shared voltage switchable between 5V and 12V. Trigger clock output configurable, up to 192 PPQN.

Trigger clock input, also with adjustable PPQN.

MIDI input and output via hardware connectors or USB.

Powered via USB or 9 – 12V centre-negative (pedal-style) power supply (500mA) (not included).

User-upgradeable firmware

Dimensions: 305mm x 208mm x 46mm (12 x 8.2 x 1.8 inches).
stikygum
Only 2 encoders? Wonder how intuitive it is. Seems like it could be cool though.
SineBrave
nangu wrote:
SineBrave wrote:

The only price info I've found is that it'll be "somewhere between Circuit and Octatrack". So between $330 and $1250.

They built 20 units of a smaller version of the Deluge- it has a 4x8 grid instead of the 8x16 grid that will be on the full production version.

Looks like the big one will be a beast:

Thanks, mate.

I actually just got a Circuit and it's quite nice for the price. But a $600 Delige would be a monster.
scottmoon
They've released details and videos along with prices.
http://www.synthstrom.com/delugeorder.html
Jcsveth
Not hating at all - but why, oh why, in this age of $4 graphical displays, do these incredibly in-depth machines have just LEDs with cryptic shorthand words? These aren't even alpha-numeric LEDs! hmmm..... This looks a bit like the Spectralis and even its 2 x 40 character LCD display is woefully inadequate. I just do not get it.
Other than that - this looks like a great effort. Maybe at some point, the pads can be used to enter values so that the encoder twisting is not as bad. Will be watching with interest.
CF3
Jcsveth wrote:
Not hating at all - but why, oh why, in this age of $4 graphical displays, do these incredibly in-depth machines have just LEDs with cryptic shorthand words? These aren't even alpha-numeric LEDs! hmmm..... This looks a bit like the Spectralis and even its 2 x 40 character LCD display is woefully inadequate. I just do not get it.
Other than that - this looks like a great effort. Maybe at some point, the pads can be used to enter values so that the encoder twisting is not as bad. Will be watching with interest.

My thoughts exactly. Why no screen on a sampler? It's unnecessarily arcane. The rest of the machine is impressive. Especially the button matrix. At least you can import pre-edited samples, so there is a workaround of sorts.
nangu
I was also kinda worried about the display, but the walkthrough videos make it seem pretty simple to navigate.

2017 will be a great year for polymetric sequencing on big grids. Deluge should ship towards the end of March. I'm guessing that Polyend's SEQ will probably be available a month or two before then. They both look brilliant..
stk
Nice sequencing interface, and pretty good price too.

What a damn shame about the lack out outputs though, that totally kills my otherwise significant interest in this.

An "all in one" groovebox with a single stereo out is just dumb seriously, i just don't get it
stikygum
nangu wrote:
I was also kinda worried about the display, but the walkthrough videos make it seem pretty simple to navigate.

2017 will be a great year for polymetric sequencing on big grids. Deluge should ship towards the end of March. I'm guessing that Polyend's SEQ will probably be available a month or two before then. They both look brilliant..

Yeah, I'd say the biggest difference is that the Deluge has note sequencing instead of just hits. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement into the SEQ though.

Nevertheless, the Deluge has sample import with mangling options and nice effects, which automatically makes it an all in one piece of equipment. I feel like the Deluge is where some other x0x boxes have been trying to get to. Good to see Synthstrom make it there. It looks like a winner so far. Would prefer to have an iPad editor available for those that don't want to tweak through the buttons and knobs.
stikygum
Jcsveth wrote:

Yeah I've been wondering about this too. I kind of see they were going for a less convoluted front panel...maybe, but I would've preferred a screen like on the DSI Pro 2 with 4 knobs under it for tweaking everything.
nangu
stikygum wrote:
nangu wrote:
I'm guessing that Polyend's SEQ will probably be available a month or two before then. They both look brilliant..

Yeah, I'd say the biggest difference is that the Deluge has note sequencing instead of just hits. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement into the SEQ though.

Note sequencing on SEQ is already happening- Piotr from Polyend posted this in the Gearslutz thread..

PiotrRaczynski wrote:
We hear you guys. For sure there will be note and length per step implemented. Also we are thinking about adding cv pitch and cv velocity for each track.

I emailed Piotr and asked for a way to throw resets at SEQ, either through standard modular clock+reset jacks or over MIDI. He said that was a very good idea..

SEQ and Deluge are so awesome that I'll have to buy both. Resistance is futile. SlayerBadger!
stikygum
Nice to hear the SEQ has note sequencing. These will be tough to resist.

Really want to find out if the Deluge has glide/slide between steps of a sequence.
nangu
stikygum wrote:
Really want to find out if the Deluge has glide/slide between steps of a sequence.

He very briefly shows portamento as a part of the synth engine at 6:24 in the second walkthrough vid, but doesn't say whether it's constant time or constant rate. Also no word on whether it's active all the time, or can be set to only trigger on overlapping notes.

There will be an Elektron-style "Parameter Lock" feature added soon- presumably we'll be able to turn portamento on or off for certain steps of a sequence that way..
22tape
so it doesn't actually sample then? if not, it's not a sampler sad banana
CF3
22tape wrote:
so it doesn't actually sample then? if not, it's not a sampler sad banana

Yes it samples, watch the videos. It just doesn't have a screen, so editing will be less than elegant .
22tape
Do you know which video? I watched them all and didn't see anything about actually sampling. Though I did skip through them here and there... those are long videos.

This is why I assumed that it didn't sample--

"up to 12 minutes of sample playback from SD card"
22tape
I can't find that quote now. Maybe someone butchered the spec. On Synthstrom's site, and as nangu listed, it says "64MB of sample ram - work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples per song." So that sounds good.
CF3
22tape wrote:
Do you know which video? I watched them all and didn't see anything about actually sampling. Though I did skip through them here and there... those are long videos.

This is why I assumed that it didn't sample--

"up to 12 minutes of sample playback from SD card"

29:40 of the first video

22tape
Beautiful, thanks.

Threshold recording would be a nice addition.
22tape
Crazeebo wrote:
you can have as many rows/effects/samples as you have RAM.

So this means that the track count itself is also only limited by RAM? So we can have, say, 32 different instrument tracks/rows as long as the RAM can handle it?

I assume we can edit the sample's end time as well?

Guinness ftw!
myecholalia
yes and yes.
the deluge turns out great, i think.
pre-order put in.
22tape
nice!

does anyone know if there's a trim function for samples? ie, once the start/end points have been set, can you delete the head/tail of the unused portion of the sample? it'd be great to conserve every bit of the 64mb.

how about a manual? will there be one before the pre-order price ends? i want to jump all over this but it'd be great to know detailed functions. i'm not one to jump on early releases with potential annoying bugs but this thing looks wicked Rockin' Banana!
stikygum
I don't think it's been specified if there is trim function. That would be nice though. However, being able to define start and end points would be just as effective, except dealing with wasted ram space. I'm not sure when, but there must be a manual coming at some point. When that happens is tough to say because I'm sure they have a lot of priorities right now to get this thing rolling.
pirimaipolymer
http://nzmusician.co.nz/features/deluge-nzs-world-leading-groovebox/
stikygum
Also looking forward to seeing a sample chopping/slicing feature implemented.

22tape
holy shit i just preordered. i never preorder Rockin' Banana!
Prints
stikygum wrote:
Also looking forward to seeing a sample chopping/slicing feature implemented.

Is there any way to modulate these pitch shifting parameters with an LFO or parameter locks?
stikygum
Prints wrote:

Is there any way to modulate these pitch shifting parameters with an LFO or parameter locks?

Yeah, you can modulate it seems any parameter with the LFOs. I'm not completely sure if it has parameter locks, but you can record automation into.
nangu
Parameter locks are coming, but aren't actually implemented yet. Or at least they hadn't been implemented yet when somebody wrote whatever I read. Could have been on Facebook or in the comments section after one of the articles that's been written about it- I don't remember exactly where it was.

They put the manual online today, and have added a free option to have all the shortcuts painted onto the front panel. That should help to minimize menu diving:

There's also another video:
stikygum
The manual is finally up, but the setup shortcut buttons for many of the Deluge parameters, using the matrix pads. Seems like a really great idea.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FAeJ5f1sl3kKJgvbKmGRe3PIMjkaYrh3eA XF05PAV6k/edit
nangu
Bump! Preorders close on Friday.

Here's a new video- probably only useful because it shows the thing in use from many different angles. Somehow I'd gotten the idea that it was maybe 20% bigger than it really is..

22tape
has it been 4 months yet??? hyper
stikygum
Definitely glad I got in on the preorder. I'll try to keep preoccupied with other gear. razz
Prints
I guess it'll cost $1450 now. I wonder if the Jomox box is going to cost much more than that.
clusterchord
nangu wrote:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/07/synthstrom-audible-intros -deluge-sequencer-synthesizer-sampler/

Piano-roll-style sequencing on 128 full RGB pads (16×8) with scrolling and zooming.

Internal synthesizer engine (subtractive and FM).

Plays samples from SD card (up to 32GB SDHC).

Sequencing, limited only by available RAM (many thousands of notes).

Polyphony limited only by CPU. Typically around 48 synth voices or 64 unaffected sample voices may play.

64MB of sample ram – work with up to 12 minutes (if mono) of CD-quality samples at once.

Live adjustment of synth and effect parameters with two endless-turn encoders with LED level-meters. Easy buttons to select the functions these control.

Advanced syncing capabilities. Weird time signatures supported. Adjustable swing.

Dedicated volume and tempo knobs.

LFOs and envelopes on each synth / sample. Highly customizable patching matrix.

Synthesizer engine features LPF / HPF, arpeggiator, portamento, oscillator sync, ring modulation, unison detune, and more. Four basic waveforms, or select any WAV file from the SD card.

FX including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, bitcrushing, sidechain effect, live stutter, and more.

Keyboard mode, where the pads become a live instrument on a 2D grid.

Internal speaker, rechargeable Li-ion battery, and microphone

Mic and line inputs.

Two ¼” line outputs, and 3.5mm headphone output.

2x CV outputs. 0 – 10V, individually configurable to 1, 1.2, 0.26 or 0.32 volts per octave, or to hertz per volt.

4x gate / trigger outputs individually configurable to v-trig or s-trig, with shared voltage switchable between 5V and 12V. Trigger clock output configurable, up to 192 PPQN.

Trigger clock input, also with adjustable PPQN.

MIDI input and output via hardware connectors or USB.

Powered via USB or 9 – 12V centre-negative (pedal-style) power supply (500mA) (not included).

User-upgradeable firmware

Dimensions: 305mm x 208mm x 46mm (12 x 8.2 x 1.8 inches).

i was real excited about this as it ticks a lot of boxes for live performance... especially synchronisation and cv sequencing - until i read the above.

anything even remotely geared towards "professionals" and "only Two ¼” line outputs" simply does not compute.

at this day and age, with so many options, you can't possibly expect us to be limited to whatever effects, eq and other things you pack into that machine to submix everything to two channels.

lot of us already have high end reverb and delay pedals that are tweakable, small mixers for live tweaking of sends, levels, eq etc. its impossible to achieve the same ammount of tweakability, or sonics, with this control panel with a single machine. getting at least kick and bass out separately goes without saying, but IMO 6 to 8ch is minimum. like old Elektrons and MPCs, Jomox, MFB, Tempest, Emu, Rytm etc..

even Akai (that was out of touch for a few years) is finally coming back with two new hw MPCs with - individual outputs.
nangu
Yeah, the lack of individual outputs is a bummer. I'll be able to work around it by exporting stems to other samplers and/or sequencing other gear from the Deluge. So it's really just an inconvenience for me, not a dealbreaker..

There's a new video out- parameter automation looks excellent:

22tape
the magnetic overlay is a nifty idea...

Soon, you guys, soon! nanners
Dob
As a software developer I don't want to be behind a screen when making music, and this box offers just that.

I was going to have it next to my modular, but as it turns out I'm on the couch with this thing. It's battery powered if you wish... I had an OP-1 before, but I didn't click with the workflow having to record to virtual tape all the time.

Well, this Deluge totally clicks with my workflow.

I couldn't believe the stereo out at first either, but given the amount of possibilities at this price point, it's just an inconvenience. The Digitakt also just offers stereo out.

I'm sketching stuff out at the couch, knowing I will probably replace synth tracks with midi/modular/outboard anyway, once back in the studio.
But then again, the end result isn't even that bad, soundwise.
I haven't really dived into the synth section yet... But with a modular up in the attic... Don't think I will.

Parameter locks are dead easy... And very powerful.

And I love the keyboard mode. The way the notes are arranged, highlighting the scale and root notes.... Perfect for me.

The software has some bugs though, but the beta I just installed fixed all of the onces that bothered me. (Like long samples being cut off)

It's such a brilliant, well thought-out package. It's plain old FUN!
At last I click with a "groovebox".

I thought it would be my hardware sequencer and sampler, turns out it's that as well as the perfect sketchpad.
stikygum
Everything you said is true. I don't think enough people understand the potential of this machine. A lot of people are stuck in the Elektron world going googoo over their products and aren't paying attention to this or flat out just don't want to believe something has come up that rivals and possibly outperforms Elektron. Elektron boxes still have a lot going for them too, but I prefer the Deluge because of the effects automation and the quick sample management. Elektron is terrible with sample management. The Deluge is a great and quick sketchpad and sampler imo. The VA synths are a nice addition, but I'm particular about my synths, so I see myself using them as sketchpads.
samn
I love my deluge its definitely killed my GAS for any hardware sequencer or grooveboxes. It is really dead simple to use and I'm excited for its future.
ramos808
It's damn expensive
ramos808
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive, but looks great
stikygum
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Considering everything it does and includes, it's really not. It's more expensive possibly than other stuff out there, maybe (even though it has more features), but it's a new small company. That's what happens when you don't have larger companies producing mass quantities of stuff. That's reality and economics.
ramos808
stikygum wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Considering everything it does and includes, it's really not. It's more expensive possibly than other stuff out there, maybe (even though it has more features), but it's a new small company. That's what happens when you don't have larger companies producing mass quantities of stuff. That's reality and economics.

Good point.

I think it would have been a good idea to release a version without the synth, would be much cheaper.

I dont need it for synth parts, only sequencing other synths and sampling etc.

The internal synth sounds are never going to be as good as most outboard gear.
samn
ramos808 wrote:
stikygum wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Good point.

I think it would have been a good idea to release a version without the synth, would be much cheaper.

I sort of agree but the way the synth engine is set up lends itself so well to sample mangling that I am glad it is there. For example you can load a sample into an oscillator and then layer a synth over it with osc2 and add filter so on and so forth..
stikygum
samn wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
stikygum wrote:
ramos808 wrote:
It's damn expensive

Good point.

I sort of agree but the way the synth engine is set up lends itself so well to sample mangling that I am glad it is there. For example you can load a sample into an oscillator and then layer a synth over it with osc2 and add filter so on and so forth..

Exactly, layering is nice on here to give stuff an extra dimension to the sound.
Nelson Baboon
curiously, I had written this off awhile back, mostly because I just looked at it quite superficially. the synth part didn't look that interesting, so fuck it, was my attitude.

But I've revisted, and bloody hell. This thing looks great. From one video at least, this will really allow me to mangle and sequence my violin to a nice extreme.

This thread hasn't been added to in awhile. How many users do we have here? What DON'T you like about this machine? Is the tempo range really as extreme as I've seen posted (0 - 9999)? Obviously midi won't work practically at those tempos, but what about cv?).

(I bought and am enjoying my octatrack mk2, but if I had known about this, I probably would have bought it instead. But why do so few people seem to have it?)
donato
Nelson Baboon wrote:
curiously, I had written this off awhile back, mostly because I just looked at it quite superficially. the synth part didn't look that interesting, so fuck it, was my attitude.

But I've revisted, and bloody hell. This thing looks great. From one video at least, this will really allow me to mangle and sequence my violin to a nice extreme.

This thread hasn't been added to in awhile. How many users do we have here? What DON'T you like about this machine? Is the tempo range really as extreme as I've seen posted (0 - 9999)? Obviously midi won't work practically at those tempos, but what about cv?).

(I bought and am enjoying my octatrack mk2, but if I had known about this, I probably would have bought it instead. But why do so few people seem to have it?)

I bought one after much research, won't have it in my hands for a couple of months though. A lot more discussion about it at gearslutz and the forum on the synthstrom deluge website. However, the most active place is the user group on facebook. I'd suggest looking there as there are several new threads posted per day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1901933516792895/

Also here's an interesting four part blog from a guy talking about/struggling with what he should keep (titled, 'Decisions: Can't Keep Them All') out of an Octatrack I, Deluge, Digitakt and MPC Live:

pt1- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/22/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -1/

pt2- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/24/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -2/

pt3- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/27/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -3-elektron-digitakt/

pt4- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/31/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -4mpc-live/
stikygum
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I have one. If you have more questions, ask away. So what don't I like about this machine, well, I'll say that I don't care for the onboard synth sounds, but I do like it as a sampler as well as using samples for the Osc waveform. As a Osc waveform, you basically treat as such, whereas if you use in sampler mode, then you can time stretch and all that. I will say this. The Deluge is going to be way quicker than your Octatrack. Now I haven't used the Octa, but have used the Elektron interface. Saving shit is so much easier than Elektron gear. And while I don't think the synthesis engine is that awesome sounding, I like it quite a bit when messing up samples. And automating is very easy for both motion record and P locking.

The tempo range is indeed extreme. That's no joke. I'm actually not sure about CV. I will try that.

So few people have the Deluge because people have gone all aboard the Elektron train. Elektron has everyone by the balls so much, people don't even feel the desire to look at other products. I could only imagine if Synthstrom were to put analog filters/vcas in the a future Deluge box. That would slay Elektron boxes.

Again, I'm so happy the Deluge is so damn easy to save sounds and patches. Elektrons are silly in that regard.

One thing I would like is more CV outs. This thing would be such a power in a modular setup if that were the case. Actually now that I'm on it, anyone have any ideas of like a breakout box to interface with the Deluge to CV modulate other Eurorack?
nangu
Nelson Baboon wrote:
How many users do we have here? What DON'T you like about this machine? Is the tempo range really as extreme as I've seen posted (0 - 9999)? Obviously midi won't work practically at those tempos, but what about cv?).

Adding a real screen would have made it easier to understand, but using the pads to show info in the way that they have actually works surprisingly well.

The built-in speaker has absolutely no bass response, so it’s not as good for battery-powered couch jams as I had expected. Kick drums and basslines can totally disappear. I’m very tempted to see whether I improve this by swapping out the speaker with something better..

I’m kind-of addicted to doing all my sample trimming and whatnot on the computer and then exporting files to my various boxes, so I haven’t actually done any sampling on the Deluge itself.

I haven’t done much with the ridiculously fast tempo possibilities either, beyond occasionally cranking something way up for a laugh.

The frequency and quality of the beta firmware updates has been amazing. New features get added all the time- it’s right up there with the Orthogonal Devices ER-301 in that regard..
weinglas
Nelson Baboon wrote:
... What DON'T you like about this machine?...

There are some cons, but the feature list is growing, e.g. some people (including me) asked for more "randomness" and next official firmware will include a "probability" feature.

What I don't like is the old school display. Especially working with samples from sd card this really is bad meh
And it would be great to have velocity sensitive pads.

But for the price this is the perfect machine for travelling, like the OP-1.

Here is a track I made and recorded during a train ride:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_GcbTC48Q&t=2s
stikygum
weinglas wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
... What DON'T you like about this machine?...

There are some cons, but the feature list is growing, e.g. some people (including me) asked for more "randomness" and next official firmware will include a "probability" feature.

What I don't like is the old school display. Especially working with samples from sd card this really is bad meh
And it would be great to have velocity sensitive pads.

But for the price this is the perfect machine for travelling, like the OP-1.

Here is a track I made and recorded during a train ride:

I agree with it sometimes harder to figure out what sample you are looking at. I've been going by ear while scrolling through the samples. But I'm realizing that the best thing will be for me to name my samples with naming conventions that I'll recognize what samples are what quicker.

Have any of you guys plugged in a pad box like Korg PadKontrol or Akai LPD8? Will the Deluge power those through USB?
weinglas
stikygum wrote:
Have any of you guys plugged in a pad box like Korg PadKontrol or Akai LPD8? Will the Deluge power those through USB?

Unfortunately the Deluge has no USB Host function.
That would have been a killer feature for a battery powered machine ...
Nelson Baboon
thanks for the replies.

some of the cons I don't much care about - like if I bring it into the other room to play on the couch, I can just use some headphones.

I probably won't care about it being difficult to read sample names since I almost always just start all over again, and won't save samples for too long.

but my impression from what I've read and heard is that for tracks where I want to record violin (or percussion) for a fairly longish time, and then mangle the hell out of it, and then possibly add some midi and cv too, this will be easier than the octatrack, and offer some different possibilities.

i will continue to check out some of the links (like the facebook page above, etc).
stikygum
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thanks for the replies.

some of the cons I don't much care about - like if I bring it into the other room to play on the couch, I can just use some headphones.

I probably won't care about it being difficult to read sample names since I almost always just start all over again, and won't save samples for too long.

but my impression from what I've read and heard is that for tracks where I want to record violin (or percussion) for a fairly longish time, and then mangle the hell out of it, and then possibly add some midi and cv too, this will be easier than the octatrack, and offer some different possibilities.

i will continue to check out some of the links (like the facebook page above, etc).

I was recently thinking about looking into the Octatrack for sample mangling. What do you think are the Octatrack shortcomings? Or do you find it's great at messing up samples? Seems like the Octatrack is good at sampling something on the spot and immediately being able to twist it into something different. I haven't gotten into the live input mode of the Deluge yet so I'm not sure what it's capable of there.

And yeah, the speaker on the Deluge is kind of a gimmick to me and just there to be a 'need literally nothing but the Deluge to play it' unit. I typically use earbuds or headphones depending on where I am. I've even taken it to the library for something different. It's so small, it can go everywhere with you.
Poldenstein
I bought it, against all my expectations, seduced by the sequencer interface. I have yet to get used to having such a power in a thing so portable. Every upadate the developer drops brings a huuuge features increase. I thought it would have been a sampler drum machine to put aside my setup, but feature-wise one could really do everything from start to finish with the deluge, from composing, to tracking, to mixdown. But thats where's the thing I like less: single stereo out. Internal FX are decent but quite a limited option.
I never owned an Octa, but know elektron work flow, and I can say that sequencing wise it blows away the elektrons. The only thing left out was probability and iterations, but I'm betatesting Synthstrom's implementation and I find it way ahead. I know it's apples and oranges, XoX versus piano roll, but it's a TACTILE piano roll. Programming is a breeze. MIDI and CV easy peasy.
on the sample-mangle side I guess Octatrack still holds primacy (ATM!), apart that on Deluge you have unlimited sample size and number, and that you can use the sample (two of them per voice, actually) as oscillator in the subtractive synth chain. That's where I hope the Deluge will grow next.
The converters sound pretty good to my ear.
The synth is nothing special, but quite deep on the modulation side.
The pain of browsing samples with four digits has been greatly reduced in the new beta, where the filenames scroll thru the display.
it has a couple of quirks that should be addressed:
-parameters resolution. on most parameters range is 0-50, less than MIDI.
-Mute cut fx tails
but I'm confindent and happy with what I already have. uber portability and uber connectivity is so comfortable.

bt the way, custumers' service is just great.
Nelson Baboon
stikygum wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thanks for the replies.

I was recently thinking about looking into the Octatrack for sample mangling. What do you think are the Octatrack shortcomings? Or do you find it's great at messing up samples? Seems like the Octatrack is good at sampling something on the spot and immediately being able to twist it into something different. I haven't gotten into the live input mode of the Deluge yet so I'm not sure what it's capable of there.

And yeah, the speaker on the Deluge is kind of a gimmick to me and just there to be a 'need literally nothing but the Deluge to play it' unit. I typically use earbuds or headphones depending on where I am. I've even taken it to the library for something different. It's so small, it can go everywhere with you.

i both hate the octatrack shortcomings, and am really liking it for sample mangling. I don't use it every day, and am very, very far from know it reasonably well. the parameter lock system is really fantastic for playing a sample in strange ways, and combining it with lfo modulation can yield some excellent results. but I don't know what I'm doing yet.
stikygum
Poldenstein wrote:
I bought it, against all my expectations, seduced by the sequencer interface. I have yet to get used to having such a power in a thing so portable. Every upadate the developer drops brings a huuuge features increase. I thought it would have been a sampler drum machine to put aside my setup, but feature-wise one could really do everything from start to finish with the deluge, from composing, to tracking, to mixdown. But thats where's the thing I like less: single stereo out. Internal FX are decent but quite a limited option.
I never owned an Octa, but know elektron work flow, and I can say that sequencing wise it blows away the elektrons. The only thing left out was probability and iterations, but I'm betatesting Synthstrom's implementation and I find it way ahead. I know it's apples and oranges, XoX versus piano roll, but it's a TACTILE piano roll. Programming is a breeze. MIDI and CV easy peasy.
on the sample-mangle side I guess Octatrack still holds primacy (ATM!), apart that on Deluge you have unlimited sample size and number, and that you can use the sample (two of them per voice, actually) as oscillator in the subtractive synth chain. That's where I hope the Deluge will grow next.
The converters sound pretty good to my ear.
The synth is nothing special, but quite deep on the modulation side.
The pain of browsing samples with four digits has been greatly reduced in the new beta, where the filenames scroll thru the display.
it has a couple of quirks that should be addressed:
-parameters resolution. on most parameters range is 0-50, less than MIDI.
-Mute cut fx tails
but I'm confindent and happy with what I already have. uber portability and uber connectivity is so comfortable.

bt the way, custumers' service is just great.

I much prefer the Deluge layout to any x0x layout. Stuff like the Polyend Seq and Misa NSC 32 have similarities and they all look seem good. It's great to hear about the filename scroll thru, that should help out a lot.

The thing I also like most about the Deluge is that I don't have to bounce back and forth between pages so much. Creating drums is amazing on it. And programming melodies also. It's fantastic visually. I think only the NSC 32 out does the Deluge here, because it's bigger naturally. But making drum patterns is lightning quick. Easily assign samples to any of the rows and program all the steps of each drum hit at the same time. Brilliant! cool w00t
stikygum
Nelson Baboon wrote:
stikygum wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thanks for the replies.

i both hate the octatrack shortcomings, and am really liking it for sample mangling. I don't use it every day, and am very, very far from know it reasonably well. the parameter lock system is really fantastic for playing a sample in strange ways, and combining it with lfo modulation can yield some excellent results. but I don't know what I'm doing yet.

That's what's put me off from trying out the Octatrack. I know I don't like Elektron's file system and learning the depth of the Octatrack can do seems intimidating somewhat. But I'd still like to try it because every instrument yields different results.
noisetheorem
donato wrote:

Also here's an interesting four part blog from a guy talking about/struggling with what he should keep (titled, 'Decisions: Can't Keep Them All') out of an Octatrack I, Deluge, Digitakt and MPC Live:

pt1- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/22/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -1/

pt2- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/24/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -2/

pt3- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/27/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -3-elektron-digitakt/

pt4- https://noisetheorem.blog/2018/01/31/decisions-cant-keep-them-all-part -4mpc-live/

I happen to be that 'some guy'. Anyone wants more information, ping me. I still haven't made up my mind, so I'll probably be writing more on the subject.
noisetheorem
stikygum wrote:

That's what's put me off from trying out the Octatrack. I know I don't like Elektron's file system and learning the depth of the Octatrack can do seems intimidating somewhat. But I'd still like to try it because every instrument yields different results.

The thing about the octatrack is that most people are convinced its a performance sampler/drum machine. It really kind of isn't. It's more of a DJ mixer and FX processor that grew a sampler and sequencer.

It also seems to come with a built in neuralizer that zapps your memory of how to use it in between sessions. I had to create a cheat sheet for myself since I *still* forget basic functions, and I've had one since it was released.
cwhiley
Cancelled my order for my ARMkII.

Ordering this tomorrow.

Picked up a Retro Kits midi hub and a Stereoping controller for my Matrix 1000 and after I buy the Deluge I'll still have $150 left over. Uh. Ok.

This will be at the heart of the live rig I am building up. Ditching my DAW in my workflow. Well, I might use it for adding a vsti sound to a multi-tracked session (from a hardware multi-tracked import) and mixing and mastering (if I ever figure out how to mix and master).

I plan on using the midi hub to put between the Deluge and my MB, Peak, and Matrix 1000. Should be a pretty darn nice set-up. Once I learn the Deluge workflow I should be able to produce something listenable.

Excited to finally have a real hardware set-up with no DAW that I think I can wrangle.
stikygum
noisetheorem wrote:
stikygum wrote:

The thing about the octatrack is that most people are convinced its a performance sampler/drum machine. It really kind of isn't. It's more of a DJ mixer and FX processor that grew a sampler and sequencer.

It also seems to come with a built in neuralizer that zapps your memory of how to use it in between sessions. I had to create a cheat sheet for myself since I *still* forget basic functions, and I've had one since it was released.

Interesting to hear that. I always felt the heart of the Octatrack was sampling audio files or playing them back and twisting those. But I see what you're saying, especially with the neutralizer comment. It seems too complicated for what it is. The Deluge offers 1 less LFO, but if the interface of the Octatrack is convoluted and has lots of functions to remember, then it probably isn't for me. Though I could still see myself trying it out because listening to demos only, I can hear it would have me use it in a way that would give me different results than my Deluge.

The Deluge can have all the parameters printed on the faceplate and therefore basically each parameter has a dedicated quick access button. The funny thing is, I don't think Synthstrom realized when the created this how important that feature would until after me and others pointed out there looks like a bunch of menu diving without enough knobs. But with the dedicated buttons, it makes this machine so so much faster imo.
stikygum
noisetheorem wrote:

I happen to be that 'some guy'. Anyone wants more information, ping me. I still haven't made up my mind, so I'll probably be writing more on the subject.

Do you think the Digitakt offers much over the Deluge?

I was thinking about getting a Digitakt, just because I want to find out if it will give me something cool I don't get with the Deluge. The interface looks nice and straight forward. File saving still looks too complicated, but maybe I could deal with the rest of it being quicker to use. However, I'm not sure what the Digitakt does offer over the Deluge. The only thing I can think of is that it has 8 knobs to immediately tweak and layer motion recordings of many parameters quickly in a sequencer.

I do hope for a bigger Deluge in the future with a screen and more knobs like that or at least more buttons to assign to knobs as I usually keep all the top row buttons assigned exactly as printed, and typically only give myself Custom 1, 2 and 3 to assign parameters too.
Nelson Baboon
purchased today. will comment after I get it.
cwhiley
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I did too, just 45 minutes ago! We can learn together friend!
Nelson Baboon
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

hah - the race is on!
cwhiley
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

hah - the race is on!

What state are you in? Let's keep up in this thread to see who gets theirs first! smile
Nelson Baboon
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

hah - the race is on!

What state are you in? Let's keep up in this thread to see who gets theirs first! smile

i'm in san francisco. looks like i just got my shipping notice.
cwhiley
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

hah - the race is on!

Awwwwwww....I didn't. I literally ordered it 2 hours ago (6:36 p.m. CST).

Picked up the dustcover too.
stikygum
Hope you guys got the parameters printed on the Deluge or at least get the overlay. I think it's night and day without.
Nelson Baboon
stikygum wrote:
Hope you guys got the parameters printed on the Deluge or at least get the overlay. I think it's night and day without.

i got the overlay
stikygum
Nice, it's going to help quite a bit for quicker editing.
greymadr
I lusted over this for a long time. It seems so perfect for commuting to work or hanging out on the couch with. Eventually, I talked myself out of it because of the limited CV connections and the price.

Reading through this now has me right back to that lust, damnit. Guess I gotta save up and take the plunge...
cwhiley
stikygum wrote:

I just got the printed version. I figured if any mods come out people would make their own overlays. Cant see needing to have a blank face for anything...
stikygum
greymadr wrote:
I lusted over this for a long time. It seems so perfect for commuting to work or hanging out on the couch with. Eventually, I talked myself out of it because of the limited CV connections and the price.

Reading through this now has me right back to that lust, damnit. Guess I gotta save up and take the plunge...

I'm going to buy the Polyend Poly, which is similar to a ES FH-1, but no setup required. This will give me some great control over my Eurorack. The Cool thing is that the Deluge is super easy to setup for sequencing CV or Midi CCs. And with the Polyend Poly, just plug and play to get more CVs via Midi or USB.
cwhiley
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

hah - the race is on!

Tracking says I'll have it by end of day on Thursday February 15th. I betcha it comes in via Pacific coast customs (Australia's closer to you - I'm on the right side of the country...sorta...Arkansas)

What's it telling you?
greymadr
stikygum wrote:
greymadr wrote:

I'm going to buy the Polyend Poly, which is similar to a ES FH-1, but no setup required. This will give me some great control over my Eurorack. The Cool thing is that the Deluge is super easy to setup for sequencing CV or Midi CCs. And with the Polyend Poly, just plug and play to get more CVs via Midi or USB.

Thank you for pointing this module out. I had no idea what it was and it wasn't so apparent on the product page. Once I read the manual, I got exactly how I'd use it.

This might give me the workflow I have always dreamed of. Sequencing on my lap and then can go back and integrate with my hardwired synths and modular. Like one big happy family.
cwhiley
Nelson Babboon

Mines at LA customs. You'll get yours monday I bet.
hardwarecore
I have to say, with recent updates, the Deluge is turning into an absolute beast! I've been looking for the perfect sampler to pair with my Tempest and I think this is finally it. It's got a full synthesis engine that lets you layer two samples (it's not 4 layers like my old MC-909 had, but it's good enough) and chopping and building kits is dead easy. So yeah, after going through the Octatrack, SP-16 and poking at the MPC Live a little bit, my Tempest has a new best friend. I'm all about having a full production ecosystem in as small a footprint as possible and this combination gives me a whole lot of power.

Probability/iteration per step is in beta right now, as well as assigning multiple tracks to the same midi track (could only do 1:1 before) and, something I think is really neat, the ability to copy exactly what you see on the pads, go to a different zoom level and paste it in there.

It's been a long time since I've been this excited to get home from work every day and do music stuff. This machine has really brought the magic back for me. Hell, having six hours of battery life is huge for me too as I've even started taking it to work for on my lunch break. Very inspiring machine.

***edit to add*** I just wanted to also explain a bit about how sampling actually works, as I think it's quite neat. If you've ever used a Korg Microsampler, it had a cool "key gate" sampling mode where you hold down the key where you want the sample to live and it begins sampling, let it up and it stops. Then, without having to stop to name and save the sample, just move on to the next key and build a whole kit that way. Well, the Deluge is basically the same in kit mode. It's quick and easy and just the sort of thing I've been looking for.
cwhiley
hardwarecore wrote:
I have to say, with recent updates, the Deluge is turning into an absolute beast! I've been looking for the perfect sampler to pair with my Tempest and I think this is finally it.

There's a guy on the Facebook group that has this exact combination. He purports to love it.
cwhiley
Or ARE you that very guy?

hardwarecore
cwhiley wrote:
hardwarecore wrote:
I have to say, with recent updates, the Deluge is turning into an absolute beast! I've been looking for the perfect sampler to pair with my Tempest and I think this is finally it.

There's a guy on the Facebook group that has this exact combination. He purports to love it.

Is his name Brad? That guy is AWESOME!

(jk about the awesome part, it's me, I'm the guy! lol lol razz )
cwhiley
hardwarecore wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
hardwarecore wrote:

Is his name Brad? That guy is AWESOME!

(jk about the awesome part, it's me, I'm the guy! lol lol razz )

Hilarious. See my dog pic above, cracked me up. I figured you was him.
hardwarecore
Ha, just saw that after I posted. Hope you get your Deluge soon and I hope you're as happy with it as I am. smile

Also, for anyone here who has one, I was kind of trying to get a group of users together to make a big soundset using the onboard v/a and FM engines. So if you'd be interested in contributing to something like that, drop me a message!

I figured we'd start at preset 100 an d assign each participant a number. From there, just save all of your presets as, for example, 100a, 100b, etc. Then anyone who loads it up can just zip through all our sounds (holding shift when you turn the browse knob skips the letter suffixes) quickly and easily.
stikygum
cwhiley wrote:
hardwarecore wrote:

That wasn't me, but I have a Tempest and Deluge. I like having a drum machine and a sampler. Both interfaces are pretty easy to get around and save, unlike Elektron's long winded file saving.
cwhiley
stikygum wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
hardwarecore wrote:

That wasn't me, but I have a Tempest and Deluge. I like having a drum machine and a sampler. Both interfaces are pretty easy to get around and save, unlike Elektron's long winded file saving.

GOOD music is hard enough to make w/o convoluted processes around mundane nothing tasks like file saving...sheez.
stikygum
cwhiley wrote:

GOOD music is hard enough to make w/o convoluted processes around mundane nothing tasks like file saving...sheez.

Good music or not, Elektron seems to love button pushing. I'm not sure why that is so stimulating to the Elektron crew, but they should take a look at Synthstrom and see how intuitive you can make a machine. With the 1 button per parameter, everything about the Deluge just makes sense.
hardwarecore
stikygum wrote:

Good music or not, Elektron seems to love button pushing. I'm not sure why that is so stimulating to the Elektron crew, but they should take a look at Synthstrom and see how intuitive you can make a machine. With the 1 button per parameter, everything about the Deluge just makes sense.

Couldn't agree more. I feel like I'm turning into an annoying fanboy of this machine, which is not usually something I am prone to doing. razz But there's just so much about it that is done right. Been trying to put my finger on exactly what it is that makes this thing just click with me.

If you think about most grooveboxes, you usually get 16 pads/buttons and you select one track to sequence/edit at a time. But here, you have 8 tracks available at all times (in kit mode) and infinitely more (limited only RAM) by just scrolling with the up/down encoder. It's very easy to punch in an entire drum pattern, all at once.
Where, on other machines, you can do parameter locks and sequencing on one track at a time, I could actually adjust the same parameter lock for a step in four different tracks' sequences at one time. Where, on the OT, you can have hundreds of samples available but you have to p-lock each sample per step, (not to mention, remembering which step each of them is on) the Deluge lets you create a kit with hundreds of samples and EACH has their own sequencer line and their own parameter locks and motion sequencing, 8 at a time and the rest an encoder-turn away.

But probably my favorite thing is how you can edit your kits or synth patches, just save your song and all of your adjustments are saved without affecting the kit/patch if you were to go on and use it in a different song. Seems like a small thing but, to me, it's huge. And as you said, same thing on the Tempest. I guess that's a big reason these two are my favorites.

All of that said, there are a few things I'd really like to see added to the Deluge.
-It seems like a no-brainer, but it doesn't allow you to modulate or parameter lock sample start and end points. This would be a pretty huge improvement if they could add this.
-LFO2 doesn't seem to be able to sync.
-The FM engine is quite anemic at this point. There are several parameters that show "soon" when you try to access them. The way updates have been coming, I do have faith that we'll get there eventually, though.
Nelson Baboon
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

hah - the race is on!

You lose, punk!
cwhiley
Don't be mean Nelson.

Read above and you'll see I already came too this obvious conclusion.
Nelson Baboon
a lazy, stoned person tentatively generates his first public opinions about the Deluge....

i mean, i may come to loathe it, or be very frustrated by it, but based on very rudimentary excursions, I really LIKE it. Hell, yes, i'm having good results with my OT v2, but i've never found elektron boxes to be fun. they can be brilliant, and powerful, and sound great, etc - but it always kind of feels 'designed by committee' where you get lots of input on how to do this and that, and solve this and that, and the final resuilt doesn't feel like one person's vision.

(good god, am I pretentious)

but i'm just liking the 'feel' of this so far. I immediately zeroed in on the thing that really stood out to me about it - that the tempo range is 0 to 1000+.

I had heard so many remarks about how the synth, and the fx, don't sound that good, so, since that's where I was starting out, I routed the Deluge through my Vertice filterbank. that seems to make stuff sound better, and I also was out of mixer space, and didn't want to think too hard, so I made that connection.

and it didn't sound nearly as bad as i feared. Actually pretty good, though I'm not sure how to get in there and edit critical parameters yet.

but the real point of the first session was to mess with that tempo range. I had inordinate fun (i feel like one of those junior high tempo punks) entering notes at a normal speed, slowing it down to 0.x (why don't they have this resolution on the display?) and recording fx modulations, then speeding it up to normal, then to insanely fast speeds, adding stuff, then changing the tempo, etc.

thus far, i've been successful at interpreting their docs, and getting stuff to work.

(i think that I might become annoyed with the limitations of the sequencer - it doesn't look like there is any intertrack modulation, lfos to midi (haven't run across it), etc. haven't come across anything like parameter locks, and that slick elektron interface, so ultimately this might fill a niche, and not go further.

however, I still need to sample the violin, and then change the tempo dramatically, etc, and i'm looking forward to that. This should come this weekend.

I found the modulated fx to sound rather pleasing. But I wasn't looking for it to sound like a high end delay.....
Nelson Baboon
cwhiley wrote:
Don't be mean Nelson.

i was joking. 'punk' is a term of endearment in the Baboon culture.
hardwarecore
@Nelson: Parameter locks are there. Once you've entered notes, you just hold down the one you want to lock and turn one of the gold knobs. You have the eight buttons and, though only 3 of them are labeled "custom", you can assign different parameters to any of them. If the parameter you want to lock isn't routed to a knob, *almost* any of them can be. You just navigate to the one you want to assign (either in the sound editor menu or via pad shortcut), hold down learn and turn the gold knob you want it assigned to.

Have fun, it's quite a blast. smile
cwhiley
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Don't be mean Nelson.

Thanks for this. I did figure. I am easily injured, lol. I kinda am...wish I wasn't so sensitive...working on it.

Social media is a nightmare for me. I just talk about nothing but cats, synthesizers, and helping the homeless now (something I do in RL). However, talking about the homeless got me attacked the other day. People are just plain cruel sometimes...and I don't like it.
cwhiley
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Don't be mean Nelson.

Btw, it's also a different term in prison, which I have visited a few times...
stikygum
Nelson Baboon wrote:
cwhiley wrote:
Don't be mean Nelson.

Aka, you've been Babooned hihi
stikygum
Nelson Baboon wrote:
a lazy, stoned person tentatively generates his first public opinions about the Deluge....

i mean, i may come to loathe it, or be very frustrated by it, but based on very rudimentary excursions, I really LIKE it. Hell, yes, i'm having good results with my OT v2, but i've never found elektron boxes to be fun. they can be brilliant, and powerful, and sound great, etc - but it always kind of feels 'designed by committee' where you get lots of input on how to do this and that, and solve this and that, and the final resuilt doesn't feel like one person's vision.

(good god, am I pretentious)

but i'm just liking the 'feel' of this so far. I immediately zeroed in on the thing that really stood out to me about it - that the tempo range is 0 to 1000+.

I had heard so many remarks about how the synth, and the fx, don't sound that good, so, since that's where I was starting out, I routed the Deluge through my Vertice filterbank. that seems to make stuff sound better, and I also was out of mixer space, and didn't want to think too hard, so I made that connection.

and it didn't sound nearly as bad as i feared. Actually pretty good, though I'm not sure how to get in there and edit critical parameters yet.

but the real point of the first session was to mess with that tempo range. I had inordinate fun (i feel like one of those junior high tempo punks) entering notes at a normal speed, slowing it down to 0.x (why don't they have this resolution on the display?) and recording fx modulations, then speeding it up to normal, then to insanely fast speeds, adding stuff, then changing the tempo, etc.

thus far, i've been successful at interpreting their docs, and getting stuff to work.

(i think that I might become annoyed with the limitations of the sequencer - it doesn't look like there is any intertrack modulation, lfos to midi (haven't run across it), etc. haven't come across anything like parameter locks, and that slick elektron interface, so ultimately this might fill a niche, and not go further.

however, I still need to sample the violin, and then change the tempo dramatically, etc, and i'm looking forward to that. This should come this weekend.

I found the modulated fx to sound rather pleasing. But I wasn't looking for it to sound like a high end delay.....

Lazy and stoned and writing a first impression, where's my popcorn.

P Locks are easy like hardwarecore said, with the record button engaged, just hold a sequencer step button down and twist a gold knob ... or without holding any button down twist a gold knob to record smooth transition motion sequences.

For your 'intertrack modulation, lfos to midi', you can sign up to the Synthstrom forums and make a request there or on their Facebook page. They're super responsive and implement features that we actually ask for. I was a big advocater and requested the sample chop feature. It's basic, but I'm super happy it now has it. Really want to see start and end points for samples modulatable. That would take it into granular territory and would be great fun.

I agree on the modulated FX, I really like them. The Deluge is like the Poly Evolver, it's a sum of it's parts. The FX by their own aren't that great, but to me the magic is P locking them and recording motion sequences too. I hope they add more FX. I requested a Comb filter and they were really intrigued by that possibility.

Let us know how your Violin experiment goes.
stikygum
hardwarecore wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I feel like I'm turning into an annoying fanboy of this machine, which is not usually something I am prone to doing. razz But there's just so much about it that is done right. Been trying to put my finger on exactly what it is that makes this thing just click with me.

If you think about most grooveboxes, you usually get 16 pads/buttons and you select one track to sequence/edit at a time. But here, you have 8 tracks available at all times (in kit mode) and infinitely more (limited only RAM) by just scrolling with the up/down encoder. It's very easy to punch in an entire drum pattern, all at once.
Where, on other machines, you can do parameter locks and sequencing on one track at a time, I could actually adjust the same parameter lock for a step in four different tracks' sequences at one time. Where, on the OT, you can have hundreds of samples available but you have to p-lock each sample per step, (not to mention, remembering which step each of them is on) the Deluge lets you create a kit with hundreds of samples and EACH has their own sequencer line and their own parameter locks and motion sequencing, 8 at a time and the rest an encoder-turn away.

But probably my favorite thing is how you can edit your kits or synth patches, just save your song and all of your adjustments are saved without affecting the kit/patch if you were to go on and use it in a different song. Seems like a small thing but, to me, it's huge. And as you said, same thing on the Tempest. I guess that's a big reason these two are my favorites.

All of that said, there are a few things I'd really like to see added to the Deluge.
-It seems like a no-brainer, but it doesn't allow you to modulate or parameter lock sample start and end points. This would be a pretty huge improvement if they could add this.
-LFO2 doesn't seem to be able to sync.
-The FM engine is quite anemic at this point. There are several parameters that show "soon" when you try to access them. The way updates have been coming, I do have faith that we'll get there eventually, though.

Great points. The layout and interface is a big turn on to me. I would like another Deluge Deluxe released in the future with a big screen, more CV, and more knobs, but I can deal without them right now because I know how awesome everything on it is. And I'm getting an Akai LPD8 to pair with it, so it will be even more fun to assign extra knobs and play drum into it. It's my favorite sampler because of all those buttons on this. The sequencing is soooo awesome. I love this layout of 8 tracks and 16 steps each. Like you say, it's lightning fast to sequence a whole ensemble of drums. I don't understand why more companies don't make this layout. It's perfect for drums. And then melodies are nice too to work out with this layout.
cwhiley
I'm more convinced than ever that hardware companies limit products to increase profit.

We live in era of quad core processors and 8GB of RAM COMMONPLACE in PHONES! Yet, we have a hard time getting features that would have been available 10 yers ago in sequencer/sampler boxes today....??? Granted it's a limitation of talented developers and those interested in such products but still, the technology FAR surpasses the available products.

Time for this to come to an end and if it takes small upstarts to embarrass the big guys into releasing full featured "limitless" products then I say go go go.
stikygum
See Elektron for limiting products. They blatantly do it. They can do what they want, but I'm with you and hope to see more start up companies leapfrog Elektron like they did to Roland, in the sense they 1 UPed the x0x sequencing in hardware.

And yeah, imo the Deluge runs circles around Elektrons because of the button matrix layout and how quick it is. It's intuitiveness is light years ahead and the features are nice.
hardwarecore
If your Deluge is hungry, I've spent my afternoon sampling 16-chains of the Tempest's factory kits through the DSI filter on my SP-16. Very slow uploading, but here are chains 1-10 if anyone wants to drop them in their Deluge (or OT, or whatever):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uBWKZEy01wHvTOTxeh3KKE-66vvtL7na

And chains 11-20:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1voScJ43G2xOxBYsN3DyLhEmSyKoc2ZP7

And chains 21-29: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_NMMpsfeAuC-aU73LDbJ9INlX-JNOcA8

I have to say, they turned out pretty good. That drive knob on the SP is pure magic, imo. Hundreds of punchy/weird/unique new drums for the Deluge. smile
hardwarecore
stikygum wrote:
See Elektron for limiting products. They blatantly do it. They can do what they want, but I'm with you and hope to see more start up companies leapfrog Elektron like they did to Roland, in the sense they 1 UPed the x0x sequencing in hardware.

And yeah, imo the Deluge runs circles around Elektrons because of the button matrix layout and how quick it is. It's intuitiveness is light years ahead and the features are nice.

I think it's a pretty unpopular opinion to have, but I can't stand the way Elektron does this. It's a business move and makes sense in that context, of course, of course. But, on the other hand, if they didn't limit all of their machines artificially, I'd probably own 2 or 3 of them, instead of the zero I currently have.

I'm a huge fan of Synthstrom Audible for really trying to make the Deluge the best machine it is capable of being.
hardwarecore
stikygum wrote:

Great points. The layout and interface is a big turn on to me. I would like another Deluge Deluxe released in the future with a big screen, more CV, and more knobs, but I can deal without them right now because I know how awesome everything on it is. And I'm getting an Akai LPD8 to pair with it, so it will be even more fun to assign extra knobs and play drum into it. It's my favorite sampler because of all those buttons on this. The sequencing is soooo awesome. I love this layout of 8 tracks and 16 steps each. Like you say, it's lightning fast to sequence a whole ensemble of drums. I don't understand why more companies don't make this layout. It's perfect for drums. And then melodies are nice too to work out with this layout.

Oh man, can you just imagine?! A Deluge with an OLED screen, 256 pad grid, individual outs, another set or two of the assignable knobs (or just a whole bunch of dedicated knobs), maybe an analog engine and more fully developed FM engine. I'd pay huge money for something like that! I really hope this first box of their sells very well so we can see what they might come up with for an mk2.
greymadr
hardwarecore wrote:

This right here is exactly what I found missing in almost every groove box I have tried. My first one was the MC-303, which had this, and I ended up with a MC-505 and a few electribes, etc. At the end of the day, I hated them all except that MC-303. It had that same feature and it ends up being so nice and important for me in the end. I am very glad you pointed out the Deluge doing this.
22tape
Yep, Deluge is too much fun.

hardwarecore wrote:

Probability/iteration per step is in beta right now,

love

Go, Rohan, go!
Nelson Baboon
hardwarecore wrote:
@Nelson: Parameter locks are there. Once you've entered notes, you just hold down the one you want to lock and turn one of the gold knobs. You have the eight buttons and, though only 3 of them are labeled "custom", you can assign different parameters to any of them. If the parameter you want to lock isn't routed to a knob, *almost* any of them can be. You just navigate to the one you want to assign (either in the sound editor menu or via pad shortcut), hold down learn and turn the gold knob you want it assigned to.

Have fun, it's quite a blast. smile

ah. haven't gotten to this yet. wish the manual were a bit better organized, but once you find what you want, it's a lot clearer (at least to me) than the elektron documentation. just moving through it one feature at a time. Got the beta 1.4 and played with the probability and iteration dependence today. That's a great feature, especially since you can set these differently per note in a chord.

Also really enjoyed doing live input of the Lyra, with the pitch shifting and chords. (and probability features)

biggest gripes thus far - i hate when devices have midi learn as the only option for midi cc input. I'm not set up very conveniently for that. I'd like to be able to just choose the cc# - that is available for midi track output...

and the sd card input is kind of fiddly. I installed the beta, and had trouble getting the card back in. hmmm - is it this way, or is it upside down? Finally got it, but then it was stuck, and obviously in the wrong way, and had to use pliers to get it out. Now it's fine, but it seems way too easy to get it in there wrong. On their forum a couple of people wrote about how if you insert it at an angle, it can fall inside the machine....
cwhiley
One thing I was wondering, as I got a funky answer for it on the Facebook group, and I'm trying to not look the fool over there so much...cos I am...is about connecting an external keyboard to control the internal synthesizer.

I know there's a learn function for using a master keyboard to drive off board synths attached to it...but you can just hook a midi controller up to it to play the internal synth right?
hardwarecore
cwhiley wrote:
One thing I was wondering, as I got a funky answer for it on the Facebook group, and I'm trying to not look the fool over there so much...cos I am...is about connecting an external keyboard to control the internal synthesizer.

I know there's a learn function for using a master keyboard to drive off board synths attached to it...but you can just hook a midi controller up to it to play the internal synth right?

It's a little weird, actually. You have to, if I recall:
1. load up a synth patch
2. hold down one or more of the audition pads
3. push and hold the Learn button (the audition pads will flash pink)
4. play a note on the external keyboard you wish to control the D with
5. Bob's yer uncle

It took me about 10 minutes of wondering if something wasn't connected right or if I had a wrong midi channel set or something. I'm so used to just plugging in an external keyboard and having it work without having to do, well, anything, usually. lol
Nelson Baboon
hardwarecore wrote:
cwhiley wrote:

It's a little weird, actually. You have to, if I recall:
1. load up a synth patch
2. hold down one or more of the audition pads
3. push and hold the Learn button (the audition pads will flash pink)
4. play a note on the external keyboard you wish to control the D with
5. Bob's yer uncle

It took me about 10 minutes of wondering if something wasn't connected right or if I had a wrong midi channel set or something. I'm so used to just plugging in an external keyboard and having it work without having to do, well, anything, usually. lol

i successfully got this going yesterday. i think that the idea is, similarly to learning midi cc#, you are learning the midi channel. So, I think that obviously it would then work if you switched to another device with that same midi channel.

midi learn is convenient for some people. it isn't in my setup, and I've already request that they add a way to select controllers, etc.
greymadr
Omg, I did it... I ordered the damned thing. All the talk about it really left me no choice.

Now I guess i just gotta wait. Dead Banana
hardwarecore
Deluge gets bonus points for having an onboard microphone and dead easy sampling that allowed me to spend an hour recording fart noises and utter foolishness with my two boys. cool They really got a kick out of pitching it down and turning the delay speed way up so they sounded like robots. Reverse was a big hit too, never seen those little guys laugh so hard. lol

But, really, that tiny onboard mic actually sounds pretty sweet. This thing could be very useful for those into foundsounds and field recordings.
hardwarecore
greymadr wrote:
Omg, I did it... I ordered the damned thing. All the talk about it really left me no choice.

Now I guess i just gotta wait. Dead Banana

Right on! It's peanut butter jelly time!

I've been realizing just how lucky I got to find a used one on Ebay right when I happened to have some funds available. Haven't seen a single used one for sale since. And I almost didn't buy it. Would have missed out on the most inspiring piece I've ever had!
cwhiley
I'm getting one of those FlashAir SD cards. What a cool idea.

No swapping it in and out. Just dump it from whatever...extra convenient.

Mine is in my state...should be here by Wednesday I'm guessing.
Jim's computer beats
This video about the Deluge is very well made :

I especially like the part where he's replacing the synth's basic waveforms with samples. Going to have to try that.
greymadr
Damn, that single cycle waveform stuff seems like it would be fantastic.

Mine arrives on Friday, can't wait.
hardwarecore
What this thing really needs is a sort of "scrub mode" for sample start-end points. I've got some Adventure Kid Waveform chains that I downloaded at some point in the distant past and you could do amazing things with them.

Something as simple as this:
Hold "shift" while changing the sample start point would also move the sample's endpoint by the same amount in real time. Bonus points if you could modulate it with an LFO!

I'm not a very technical guy admittedly, but I have to think that something like that would be easy to implement and it would blow the synthesis on this baby wide open.
greymadr
hardwarecore wrote:
What this thing really needs is a sort of "scrub mode" for sample start-end points. I've got some Adventure Kid Waveform chains that I downloaded at some point in the distant past and you could do amazing things with them.

Something as simple as this:
Hold "shift" while changing the sample start point would also move the sample's endpoint by the same amount in real time. Bonus points if you could modulate it with an LFO!

I'm not a very technical guy admittedly, but I have to think that something like that would be easy to implement and it would blow the synthesis on this baby wide open.

That sounds like a great idea, did you post it in their suggestions forum? http://forums.synthstrom.com/categories/deluge-suggestions
hardwarecore
greymadr wrote:

That sounds like a great idea, did you post it in their suggestions forum? http://forums.synthstrom.com/categories/deluge-suggestions

Yep, I finally registered just now and made a thread about it. After doing so, I noticed a thread requesting Granular synthesis, which I suppose is kind of the same thing, I suppose.
But man, just that one little function would be amazing!
stikygum
Here's an iPad app that accesses the Deluge's SD card directly in realtime wirelessly, if you have a Flashair SD card. I'm going to check this out. Not sure if I'll use it because I rather do it on the Deluge, but it's a pretty smooth app.

nangu
I don’t think it’s an app. But I just got my card and haven’t even set it up yet.

It appears to be something that lives on the SD card, and it can be accessed by a web browser on any platform. Chrome is recommended.

You need the newer versions of the Toshiba Flashair card for it to work- make sure you buy the W-03 or W-04 version of the card.
nangu
https://github.com/jamiefaye/downrush
greymadr
hardwarecore wrote:
If your Deluge is hungry, I've spent my afternoon sampling 16-chains of the Tempest's factory kits through the DSI filter on my SP-16. Very slow uploading, but here are chains 1-10 if anyone wants to drop them in their Deluge (or OT, or whatever):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uBWKZEy01wHvTOTxeh3KKE-66vvtL7na

And chains 11-20:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1voScJ43G2xOxBYsN3DyLhEmSyKoc2ZP7

And chains 21-29: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_NMMpsfeAuC-aU73LDbJ9INlX-JNOcA8

I have to say, they turned out pretty good. That drive knob on the SP is pure magic, imo. Hundreds of punchy/weird/unique new drums for the Deluge. smile

Just got mine yesterday, going to load these onto the sd card today. Thanks for providing these!
cwhiley
stikygum wrote:
Here's an iPad app that accesses the Deluge's SD card directly in realtime wirelessly, if you have a Flashair SD card. I'm going to check this out. Not sure if I'll use it because I rather do it on the Deluge, but it's a pretty smooth app.

Not really an "app"....it's a web page. Which is better...because it's accessible from ANY platform that has WIFI.

I'd much rather use my laptop in the studio as it's a lot faster for navigation...but could use iPhone at the gig for last minute changes. What's also remarkable is that you could be on the road, having dinner, on the toilet, whatever and doing advanced editing on or off the actual device. Versatile. 
stikygum
Has anyone had any issues with tracks being drowned out? I was just creating a bunch of sequences and found that one track, that I recorded heavy heavy motion recording/knob tweaks, would drown out or kill the another track's drum sound on certain steps. Anyone experience this? I should actually play with the levels of the motion recorded track because I know I went extreme and maxed parameters out on it.
greymadr
Not sure if I have experienced what you are saying, but I have had some similar type of stuff with custom kits and messing a lot with the sidechain effect.

What are the motion controls you are recording, and what drum sounds are getting drowned out? I want to try and replicate the behavior.
hardwarecore
I just realized tonight that you can layer two samples in "kit" mode, not just "synth" mode. This is a pretty huge deal, to me. There's a whole lot of samplers on the market that don't allow this. In fact, I don't believe I've had one that could since my MC-909 so many years ago. Well, with the exception of the MPC Live, I suppose. Still, not a common feature these days, and incredibly useful. And with the lo-fi effects and full independent control over pitch and amp for each sample, you've got quite a monster of a drum machine here.
greymadr
hardwarecore wrote:
I just realized tonight that you can layer two samples in "kit" mode, not just "synth" mode. This is a pretty huge deal, to me. There's a whole lot of samplers on the market that don't allow this. In fact, I don't believe I've had one that could since my MC-909 so many years ago. Well, with the exception of the MPC Live, I suppose. Still, not a common feature these days, and incredibly useful. And with the lo-fi effects and full independent control over pitch and amp for each sample, you've got quite a monster of a drum machine here.

Yeah to be honest, I never really thought I'd care so much for sampled drums, but this device has opened up my world.
chvad
ordered. i personally blame greymadr. you fiend.
greymadr
chvad wrote:
ordered. i personally blame greymadr. you fiend.

It'll be the last piece of gear you ever covet, I swear!
hardwarecore
It's here! OS v1.4

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/676/deluge-firmware-v1-4-0-rel eased

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZnHjWD8AO4&feature=youtu.be

-- Note probability, and iteration dependence (e.g. "play on the 3rd of every 4 track iterations")
-- Copy / paste current track-screen view
-- Copy / paste automation
-- Track solo mode
-- Multiple tracks may send to the same MIDI output channel
-- File browser scrolls long filenames left and right so you can read them, and now orders files alphabetically
-- "Undo" now works in song view for note recording and parameters / automation
-- Fixed problem where DC offset could build up in delay, leading the sound to "fuzz out"
-- Samples now default to CUT mode if longer than two seconds, and to LOOP mode if shorter than 20ms (to create single-cycle waveform synths)
-- Many other bugfixes

Please note that songs saved with this firmware version will not be properly readable using firmware versions prior to V1.3.1

See our video demoing some of the new features.

To install the update, unzip the .bin file onto your SD card, ensure there are no other .bin files on there, put the card back into your Deluge, and then hold down the shift button while powering on. A spinning animation will display, and the firmware will be permanently installed.
Panason
stikygum wrote:

Deliberately gimping machines is just one of their shitty practices... others include:

-Abandoning machines released only a few years ago... Rytm mk1 sample transfer app is still vaporware and current "solution" is slower than a fucking floppy drive. MIDI Sample Dump Standard from the 90s, in 2018....
-Selling expensive machines with shit to no quality control
-Selling expensive machines with unfinished firmware
-Selling expensive machines with "Seamless computer integration" and "Overbridge enabled" on the packaging which is a blatant lie.
-Removing older firmware from their site, despite knowing there are bugs in their new firmware.

They have dug themselves into a hole with Overbridge and their apparent desire to become the new Native Instruments. They will not be missed after their imminent demise.
22tape
Probability!

love

This machine just gets better and better.
Panason
If only this had a proper screen (which it should at this price point)....
22tape
It's honestly not difficult to navigate. To each their own though cool
Jim's computer beats
Panason wrote:

Only, it doesn't really need one. I'd say I only check the screen when loading samples (caracters scrolls now) or to see a double digit value sometimes. Every sound parameter has a shortcut with one of the pads (i.e. shift + a pad).
22tape
Jim's computer beats wrote:
Panason wrote:

Only, it doesn't really need one. I'd say I only check the screen when loading samples (caracters scrolls now) or to see a double digit value sometimes. Every sound parameter has a shortcut with one of the pads (i.e. shift + a pad).

Yep.

I'm coming from a mostly SP background, so I'm used to my sampler not having a screen. This thing feels like a 404sx and a Monome had a baby with CV.

I stare at screens all day. It's nice to make tunes without one. Even those samplers that do have screens, you still benefit from learning/using shortcuts as opposed to menu diving, imo.
gtrmstr53
Has anyone used their Deluge with an external keyboard? If so, does it record mod wheel/pitch bend/velocity/aftertouch data along with note values? And is there anything special you need to do to set this up? I'm considering getting one to use primarily as a sequencer for my hardware synths, and would need to be able to record the midi data from my keyboard without edits/filtering.
hardwarecore
I've often pondered whether or not it would be better with a real screen. The knee-jerk response would be yes, of course it would. But the more I use it, the more I think it makes sense that it doesn't have one. It could just be confirmation bias (because I do absolutely LOVE this machine) but I think it fits with the whole aesthetic and I can't say for sure that I would prefer it. I seem to work faster on this than anything else I've ever had. I think (and this is definitely a personal thing) that when there is a fancy screen present, I tend to get bogged down in sample management and fine tuning start-end points of samples and giving my patches stupid names and all that stuff. But, with all the thought and little details they've put into this thing, I have to think that on some level, this was a conscious part of their plan, and not just a matter of trying to keep costs down.

I could just be more susceptible to that trap than others, who knows. But I can say that it's really the same reason that I don't really enjoy using a DAW. Something about this machine just speaks to me, cheesy and cliche as that may sound. But I've been through a whole lot of boxes (like most of you, I'm sure) and this one really is something special.

All that being said, I still would love to see a super deluxe MK2 model with more knobs, a larger pad grid, maybe a row of mpc style velocity and aftertouch sensitive pads along the bottom, more outputs, analog synthesis, a SCREEN and everything else you could dream up. razz But even if I had that, I think I'd still keep this one because it's so small I can take it anywhere and it can do just about everything.
greymadr
I find very few use cases that really need the screen. Drilling into sample folders, saving and loading songs/kits/synths, and transposing, note selection what scale you are in all come to mind.

Most of the time though, I really like how this device gets me to rely on using my ears more. I get so used to reading the parameters and values on a screen that it is nice to change it up. Cycling through samples, sample start and end, synth parameter values, etc. I find that I end up just selecting a parameter and turning the knob until something sounds right. I'd almost be ok without the screen altogether (except the use cases above).

The hotkeys are just too fucking easy and quick. When you use a hotkey to get to some parameter, it stays blinking, so its as if THAT is printed in the screen, but not. So maybe it isn't all that different in the end, but I just know it doesn't matter as much as I thought it would.
hardwarecore
greymadr wrote:
I just know it doesn't matter as much as I thought it would.

Exactly, right there. For anyone who is interested in this thing and the only dealbreaker for them is the screen, I would encourage them to just buy it or at least try to get some time on it. It's hard to believe with all the functions it has, but the primitive screen really isn't a factor. I was very skeptical at first, myself.
hardwarecore
And I mean, everybody knows by now about the unlimited track length, high polyphony and deep synth engine. But it's the little details that I like the best. Things like:
-based on sample length, it will guess at what you're trying to do and set it to loop for SCW's, one shot for drum hits and gate for long samples.

-if your drum sample has "BD" in the filename, it is automatically assigned as the master (or whatever you call it) for sidechain compression.

-Cloning tracks so you can make changes and when one plays, it automatically mutes the other cloned tracks

-song sections for tracks so you can easily keep track of what goes with what in your song

-"cross screen" editing, where notes you enter on one screen are entered on all other screens for that track. After using this, I can't believe it took so long for a feature like this to appear on a groovebox

And it goes on and on. It really is the most well thought out box I've ever seen.
weinglas
A Deluge, polymeter and German beer. That's all you need to have fun and suspense hihi

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAUgWQCx5n8
behndy
just ordered mines. SO damn excited. been using a Digitakt, which is very cool, but watching you guys get update after update and THAT GRID SEQUENCER..... yeah.

gimme please.
h4ndcrafted
Is there a UK distributor?
h4ndcrafted
I’ve worked out a import fee of around £150, anybody in the UK that could confirm this ?
Koryo
I'm looking to use the Deluge as a recorder for a Linninstrument. Will this capture all the MPE in a neat and tidy way?
Koryo
...if the answer is yes, "Shut up and take my monies!"
stikygum
Koryo wrote:
I'm looking to use the Deluge as a recorder for a Linninstrument. Will this capture all the MPE in a neat and tidy way?

Care to elaborate on what exactly you are looking to capture?
behndy
just sent an email to Synthstrom but then durp'd and remembered y'all, so.... what battery would one grab to place into a Deluge?

thanks!
nangu
behndy wrote:
what battery would one grab to place into a Deluge?

It's an 18650 - if you walk into any vape shop and ask for a battery, it's what they'll have the most types of. There's no advantage to using high drain batteries in this application, so just get something with a MAH rating of 2500 or over. Also avoid off-brand stuff - Samsung and LG cells are good..

Synthstrom sent me pink Samsung cells like these:
http://a.co/4Hi4K3c
behndy
awesome! thanks!

..... so it ships with batteries? are those the same form factor as AA batteries? i have a buttload of rechargeable AAs and AAAs at the house.

thanks!
nangu
Yep- actually, the battery comes in a separate package because there are special restrictions on shipping lithium batteries by air. But it’s included.

18650 cells are bigger than AAs, and the Deluge has a built-in charger - you really need to use the correct battery.

Have fun!
Koryo
stikygum wrote:
Koryo wrote:

Care to elaborate on what exactly you are looking to capture?

MPE MIDI Polyphonic Expression

"These proposed conventions define a way of distributing polyphonic music over a group of MIDI Channels, making multiple parameters of different notes separately controllable."
behndy
nangu wrote:
Yep- actually, the battery comes in a separate package because there are special restrictions on shipping lithium batteries by air. But it’s included.

18650 cells are bigger than AAs, and the Deluge has a built-in charger - you really need to use the correct battery.

Have fun!

gotcha! thanks!

yeah. gonna order 4 extras and an external charger, just to have loots READY. i love bringing at least one piece of gear to travel times.

howwwww much time does one get on a full battery charge usually?

SO. DAMN. EXCITED. TO. DELUGE WUBBLE.
nangu
You need to remove a bunch of screws and open the case to replace the battery- it's not something where carrying spare cells and swapping them out would be a convenient thing to do.

Some type of external USB power bank would be a better idea. See how well you do with the onboard battery before getting too worried about adding to it, though. I'm not exactly sure how long my runtimes have been, but it's quite awhile.
Jim's computer beats
behndy wrote:
nangu wrote:

Have fun!

gotcha! thanks!

yeah. gonna order 4 extras and an external charger, just to have loots READY. i love bringing at least one piece of gear to travel times.

howwwww much time does one get on a full battery charge usually?

SO. DAMN. EXCITED. TO. DELUGE WUBBLE.

To get to the battery compartment, you need to unscrew several screws from the bottom plate (two different screw drivers needed), and unscrew the jack nuts (by hand). The internal battery is made to be replaceable, but not changed for freshly charged batteries everyday. That being said, you should get at least 6 hours of charge with the included battery IIRC.
behndy
lol. gotcha. i do bring a high speed/output fast charge usb power bank for Outside Times, so. will try that first.
Koryo
On an unrelated note. Does anyone know what the CPU is and if it's using a RTOS?

Just curious.
behndy
mein GOTT that is some fast shipping.

behndy
yeahhhhhhhhhhh. i love this thing already. it's just a joy to navigate so far, and i haven't even run it into modular loots yet.

first two synth parts and half the drums come from Deluge, the rest is Bitbox, Akemies or E352.
rean1mator
quick question on the deluge -

For Tracks and or Kits -
Do you have to memorize what each Track part is - like synth lead, drums, bass line etc? doesn't look like the delulge's screen can be programmed to identify the name of the track and or part of a kit?
Panason
Yeah if this thing had a (small) OLED screen I'd be seriously considering it. It's not like these screens cost much these days.
rean1mator
deal breaker for me, i can barely remember my name some days. having to remember which each track is for, plus all the drum kit mappings would put my little brain in overload. that's pretty glaring omission for that price point.

have a similar issue with my social entropy engine; trying to remember which track is controlling which synth, especially when I havent' fired it up for a while.

Panason wrote:
Yeah if this thing had a (small) OLED screen I'd be seriously considering it. It's not like these screens cost much these days.
chvad
anytime you make a complicated digital thing screenless I think there are some sacrifices made BUT I appreciate the mindset the deluge places me in so the lack of some of that info hasn't bothered me at all when using it.
22tape
chvad wrote:
anytime you make a complicated digital thing screenless I think there are some sacrifices made BUT I appreciate the mindset the deluge places me in so the lack of some of that info hasn't bothered me at all when using it.

Same here.

It's honestly not that difficult, peeps!

I wish guitars had screens to tell me where to put my fingers but alas, I'd actually have to learn the guitar to play it. smile

Not to mention, even when I've owned gear that had a nice screen, I always ended up using button/shortcuts because it's just flat out quicker, and it feels more like an instrument that way, instead of menu diving. Then again, I'm also the kind of user who finds a lack of a good shortcut system more detrimental to my workflow than the quality of a screen. And the Deluge has a fantastic/simple shortcut layout.
cwhiley
gtrmstr53 wrote:
Has anyone used their Deluge with an external keyboard? If so, does it record mod wheel/pitch bend/velocity/aftertouch data along with note values? And is there anything special you need to do to set this up? I'm considering getting one to use primarily as a sequencer for my hardware synths, and would need to be able to record the midi data from my keyboard without edits/filtering.

It's probably been stated, but I haven't read the rest of the thread yet.

I do this. It works, albeit clunky. However mod wheel and pitch bend DO NOT work when using it inside of a MIDI track routed to an external synth. Rohan is aware of the issue and is supposedly going to fix it. He told me himself that it is on his radar.

I hardly use the internal synth engine so I can't say whether or not it works for the internal sounds but I believe it does.
cwhiley
Not a single owner or person who has actually spent more than 15 minutes with this thing cares about it's lack of a screen.

It's just a bunch of folks trying to talk themselves out of it because they probably don't have the $1100 in the first place.

It is THE SIMPLEST device ever made. It's not just "not difficult" it's easier than most anything out there as I see it.

In my rig it just functions as a master sequencer and drum sampler. However, it's about to be JUST a sequencer because I bought a Jomox Alpha Base today. I'm telling you guys, I'm a novice BIG TIME and I wouldn't be making tracks today w/o this device. It's practically cheating. Give me a year with this thing and I'll be killing it.

Panason
A sequencer isn't an instrument though...It's a composition tool. Having a screen on a sequencer won't hurt anyone's creativity (just put something over it if it really bothers you!), but not having one will.
Quote:
trying to remember which track is controlling which synth, especially when I havent' fired it up for a while.

It is 2018 and it is weird to see a machine at any price point with a 4-digit LCD display from the 70s.

This costs like 50 bucks retail....which means the screen costs almost nothing.
cwhiley
Panason wrote:
A sequencer isn't an instrument though...It's a composition tool. Having a screen on a sequencer won't hurt anyone's creativity (just put something over it if it really bothers you!), but not having one will.
Quote:
trying to remember which track is controlling which synth, especially when I havent' fired it up for a while.

It is 2018 and it is weird to see a machine at any price point with a 4-digit LCD display from the 70s.

I dunno what to tell you. You haven't laid hands on the thing so you don't get it. Good gravy instruments were screen less for 20-40 years of synthesis depending oil who you ask and what instruments and it never stopped a darn thing.

Also, seriously, with all the shortcuts it's not even necessary. It's not a cost cutting thing, it's just a different approach and over time it makes more and more sense. The best box I've ever touched, and I'll stand by it.

My work has been embarrassing up until this point. (all soft synth & Ableton) Course to be fair dumping nearly $20K into other studio gear and synthesizers probably didn't hurt too much either.
DallasKnight
Panason wrote:
Quote:

you ever heard of economies of scale? there's alot more people buying e-cigs than a Deluge!

Give him a break, he's a one man band for goodness sake! nobody know's the price, engineering, business etc but the man himself. Im very sure he's tried to make the best version possible and if he couldn't afford to use a better screen then so be it

Like everybody else who has touched the device, I can say it's an absolute joy to use, but if you can't deal with the screen then go and spend your money elsewhere on another product without spouting negativity on a new start ups product, there's loads of alternatives out there, go and spend your time with them instead, easy
behndy
yeah. i've had and used a Squarp Pyramid, Beatstep Pro, Digitakt, FLXS1 with modular stuff. even tried the Electribe ES2. MIDI to CV converters like the Shuttle Control, CV out sequencer boxes, and out of everything, the Deluge has just been an intuitive joy to use.

i actually have always been more comfy cutting up samples on a computer then importing them to samplers, so the only thing i would want a bigger screen on.... i use a..... bigger screen.

i've only put 4 or 5 hours into the Deluge, but i've looked at the manual maybe 3 times, and done so many things that made me giggle and say FUCK I'VE ALWAYS WANTED SOMETHING THAT DID THAT.
22tape
If it’s simply too expensive without a screen fair enough. No one can determine that value except the buyer. Rest assured I don’t feel suckered.

And it’s not just a compositional tool with the sampler/synth/fx. In fact, I’ve been using it mostly as an instrument to play into a multitrack recorder, then overdubbing with different mutes/solos of patterns etc.

Also, in many respects the pads ARE the screen. I don’t really need a screen to reflect/remind me which pad I pushed because the button is already lit, I don’t need a screen to show me where I am in a song because it’s already represented with the pads in song view, I don’t need a screen to show me a piano roll because the pads are the piano roll etc etc... Screens can feel repetitive in that sense, imo, of course.
Poldenstein
22tape wrote:

Also, in many respects the pads ARE the screen. I don’t really need a screen to reflect/remind me which pad I pushed because the button is already lit, I don’t need a screen to show me where I am in a song because it’s already represented with the pads in song view, I don’t need a screen to show me a piano roll because the pads are the piano roll etc etc... Screens can feel repetitive in that sense, imo, of course.

very true. but sometimes I feel this could be used more effectively in edit mode: ATM the pad is used as a giant back button. I remember Rohan saying somewhere that they'll eventually look into this further along the development line.

that said, display or not, the Deluge is a killer machine with a super fast and easy UI and what I've always thought a led matrix sequencer should have been since I saw the very first led matrix
Panason
Put away your pitchforks! This is a really well thought out machine, for sure.

I use MIDI CC automation to bring movement to my sequences and any sequencer that cannot show user assigned names for those MIDI CCs is of limited use to me. At that price point that is the issue. If this had no synth or fx engine and instead a display that can show more than 4 digits (and a few more knobs) I would be jumping at it... that's all I'm saying. I really don't think that a few people commenting on here about the screen will hurt Synthstrom's business.
Koryo
5 Days. 4. 3. 2...
cwhiley
DUDE. Synthstrom put one of my Youtube videos on their Facebook Page!

So awesome. Deluge rules!

Koryo
Sucess!

Damn that is some fast shippin'! 4 days.

[/img]
rean1mator
Not sure why a couple of wigglers are getting so butt hurt about a valid point about the ui.

It's discussions like this that will help other users make the right choice to buy or not as they might not have thought of those issues. flaming someone because they have a concern about design reeks of gearslutz mentality. *sigh*

Maybe we need an alternate thread for the fanboys where you can only extol the virtues of the Deluge.

Panason wrote:

I use MIDI CC automation to bring movement to my sequences and any sequencer that cannot show user assigned names for those MIDI CCs is of limited use to me. At that price point that is the issue. If this had no synth or fx engine and instead a display that can show more than 4 digits (and a few more knobs) I would be jumping at it... that's all I'm saying. I really don't think that a few people commenting on here about the screen will hurt Synthstrom's business.
Koryo
Oh dear synth lord this thing is amazing. The UI is so well thought out. For me this is a desert island synth and I will predict it will go down as genera topping gear.

It's basically Ableton in a small, non-computer, portable, battery powered box. The scroll and zoom knobs put the interface on a whole new level for tactile hardware. The cool features just go on and on.
DallasKnight
rean1mator wrote:
Not sure why a couple of wigglers are getting so butt hurt about a valid point about the ui.

It's discussions like this that will help other users make the right choice to buy or not as they might not have thought of those issues. flaming someone because they have a concern about design reeks of gearslutz mentality. *sigh*

Maybe we need an alternate thread for the fanboys where you can only extol the virtues of the Deluge.

Panason wrote:

I believe you may have missed the point, it's not like nobody reading this forum know's what they are looking at, it's obvious to everyone that it has a basic LCD screen. It's the way posters unreasonably criticize the creator for missing features out while they completely disregard the high cost it proabably has taken to bring a complex item such as this to market operating as a one man band startup in New Zealand. To compare it to a E-cig is a jsut silly, that's what I was getting at

Would have I liked a better screen where you can see full file names? ofcourse I would and it would definitely improve the experience of using the machine, but I am reasonable and intelligent enough to realise it has likely been emitted to keep costs down, same reason as the extra outputs which would have been amazing! (im hoping he manages to make mk2 with a better screen and more outputs in the future)
Panason
DallasKnight wrote:
It's the way posters unreasonably criticize the creator for missing features out

This seems to be a common misunderstanding in this and other forums. People take things personally. Nobody is criticising any person here. I am criticising a product, which is an object, not a person.

If this cost 300 bucks it would be unreasonable to expect anything more but it costs a grand.

You can buy a single small OLED screen like the one in that e-cig for like 20 bucks, by the way.
22tape
Welp, personally, I've been the most productive with hardware like the Microsampler, SP404, good old multitracks, and now the Deluge. Is it a coincidence that all of them have basic readouts as screens? Is my productivity due to the lack of screen? It's hard to say, but I do know that the simplicity of operation allows me to focus on making music. And again, for me, it seems like menu diving has always turned out to be my productivity's arch nemesis.

I hope there is a Deluge MKii, and I hope it has no screen MY ASS IS BLEEDING
chvad
ive had so many great synths without screens. there are screens everywhere. something for everyone. plenty of over a grand items without screens as well. it's not really unusual. some people just don't need or more importantly... WANT them. it's all good either way though.

all i know is the deluge is a critical centerpiece for all of our upcoming gigs this year and im doing alot more stuff computer free because of it and I couldn't be happier.
DallasKnight
Panason wrote:
DallasKnight wrote:
It's the way posters unreasonably criticize the creator for missing features out

This seems to be a common misunderstanding in this and other forums. People take things personally. Nobody is criticising any person here. I am criticising a product, which is an object, not a person.

If this cost 300 bucks it would be unreasonable to expect anything more but it costs a grand.

You can buy a single small OLED screen like the one in that e-cig for like 20 bucks, by the way.

Economies of scale, think about it
Panason
I did think about it but it doesn't matter. Maybe in the next version... Ideally there would be a cheaper version without a sound engine, just MIDI sequencing for those of us who have more than enough sound engines already... This machine is the closest we have to a standalone Ableton Push so I'm definitely keeping Sythstrom on my radar.
DallasKnight
Much more reasoned

thumbs up

Unfortunately I would have thought that most of the cost is in the hardware and the labour costs associated with the software can't be undone now so can't see that happening, but yeah hope he can manage to make a cheaper version in the future, maybe once he has recouped alot of the initial startup costs he will be able to bring down the price over time, it's a expensive pastime buying boutique musical equipment!
behndy
yep. after like 3 sessions of playing around with it, it's just a doddle to do anything. i wouldn't mind a bigger screen that mebbe broke down location a little better than the number system, but it's just a want not a This Is Broken Without It.

alsoooooooooo would dig a breakout box or bigger version or something that gave multiple outs.

but. it sounds so good, it programs so GOOD.

took like 10 minutes to throw the 2 beats and one melody together in this (first time running anything through the Koma BD 101. looooooove it.) -

behndy
yeah. loooooooooooving this thing. it's so fun programming drums with it. all the drums here are from the Deluge, and the Hold Shift to switch drum patterns is SUPER good times for adding little fills/making beats not be all repeaty all the time.

Koryo
behndy wrote:
yeah. loooooooooooving this thing. it's so fun programming drums with it. all the drums here are from the Deluge, and the Hold Shift to switch drum patterns is SUPER good times for adding little fills/making beats not be all repeaty all the time.

+1

Very nice.

I've been diggin' the 'Probability and Iteration Dependence' to make things not to repeaty. I'll have to check out the 'Shift' switch.
cwhiley
Ummm.....two words.

Game. Over.

22tape
Rockin' Banana!
22tape
nice one, behndy!
behndy
22tape wrote:
nice one, behndy!

thank you suh!

yes INDEED. looking forward to the update. in love with her as is, any improvements are GRAVY.
hardwarecore
I swear, Rohan is some kind of wizard or something. hihi hyper

Seriously, what's not to love about this machine? It just keeps getting better and better and I am so glad I took a chance on buying one. Not gonna lie, that screen almost kept me from getting one but it's been the single best gear decision I've ever made in all the years I've been messing around with this stuff.

I'm still amazed that they've crammed so much functionality into such a tiny, portable footprint, every time I turn it on.
Panason
I bought a Push 2 recently and am starting to regret it. Guinness ftw!

Sample streaming from the SD card. applause

Do you hear that, elektron? With this and the new Malekko gear, your reign is finally over.
hihi
Koryo
Hats off to this Rohan character. As I'm becoming more familiar with the Deluge, it feels like nothing on the market worked the way he envisioned so he decided to make it himself. The fluidity of the UI and the already fast response of this thing tells me that he certainly has the coding chops.

I just put in a class 3 Toshiba FlashAir and holy crap is it faster. The class 10 card that ships with it would take a second or so to load the bigger sample kits, with the FlashAir, it takes 0 seconds.

...and now with these impending speed updates, code efficiency, and song arranging?! Unbeatable in my book.
chorus7
Just out of curiosity can you play back the samples polyphonically?
chvad
absolutely yes... with or without time stretching. it's BRILLIANT FOR THIS. that was my big in for the deluge
chorus7
chvad wrote:
absolutely yes... with or without time stretching. it's BRILLIANT FOR THIS. that was my big in for the deluge

Damn it!... Looks like my Octa MK2 might be on the chopping block eek! Its one of the things I really wanted the Octa to do...

How hard is sampling on it? I like the fact it has a built in mic for experimentation...
chorus7
Also did the price just go up on the Deluge? I thought they where $850 but that might have been early days...
chvad
super easy. lol. your doomed!
chorus7
chvad wrote:
super easy. lol. your doomed!

Damn it that’s what I’m thinking as well d'oh! ... I love the portability of it and it sounds good... damn it...
h4ndcrafted
Sorry for the basic, but does this have timing offsets/ micro timing.

As it doesn’t have individual outs, how do you think the master sounds? Balanced or everything fighting to get out ?

What is the max card size that is powered ?

It seems to me this is by far the best hardware sampler on the market for quite a while.
Koryo
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Sorry for the basic, but does this have timing offsets/ micro timing.

A note shift function, as the Beatstep Pro does for instance, is not currently available. I would very much like that as a gold knob mode. However notes are able to be placed at the 1/64th level which is quite granular and good for flams.

h4ndcrafted wrote:
As it doesn’t have individual outs, how do you think the master sounds? Balanced or everything fighting to get out ?

It's my opinion that the Deluge has enough tools (eq, filters, pan, envelops, reverb, delay, sidechain, pitch shift, volume) that can be applied on a note, track, or song basis that makes is good to master tracks with. Especially for live situations. Currently my workflow is to treat it as a DAW. To that end, the Deluge allows resampling, or bouncing of tracks, so if you want more control, just bounce all the tracks down and load the sound files up in your DAW for production.

h4ndcrafted wrote:
What is the max card size that is powered ?

32GB

h4ndcrafted wrote:
It seems to me this is by far the best hardware sampler on the market for quite a while.

With the ability to apply all the effects to a single note is an unreal feature. Then add on polyphonic pitched samples or time-stretching... and then samples applied to oscillators... I mean, come on.

That's a crazy powerful feature set.
h4ndcrafted
Thanks Koryo thumbs up

I need to read the manual, but I’ve read so many lately for prospective gear, not sure I can face another right now Dead Banana

What I really want is a sampler that can sample real time while the sequencer plays. I don’t need a looper, just the ability to play an instrument in to sample that will fit the sequence. A listening all the time feature, like the new update in Ableton would be pretty great.

Can you do this ?
Poldenstein
Here's a little thing I just finished. I was meaning to explore Deluge vast boundaries. This is basically a single drum track that I expanded both horizontally (144 bars long) and vertically, adding samples to the kit as I needed them. Some modular sampling thrown in. It's all done and mixed on the Deluge, then added some garnish with external analog compression and mastering tools in DAW.
Programming drums on this thing is so much fun

[s]http://soundcloud.com/poldenstein/unleash-it[/s]
Koryo
Found my first Deluge, very minor Easter egg. The tempo appears to go up to 9999 and at 8550 or so the display switches from the tempo value to "FASt" smile
Poldenstein
...and a video..
Koryo
...ummmm, Digitakt is not king.

Why isn't everyone freaking out about this thing?!

TL;DR This is a very good portable electronic device that makes nice sounds and controls other music devices.

Where do I begin? It's battery powered and I take this thing everywhere. I do sketches at work, at coffee shops, at bars... Headphones, this thang, no distractions and it's go time. Record the ambiance to an oscillator, mangle, mix and have jaw open. Why are people not talking about it?

The bandwidth of parameters is what truly makes this special. The keyboard having so many freaking keys (8 x 16 = 128), and what is that in this isomorphic? 6 octaves?! And the parameters, the tempo alone goes to 9999. To put that another way, if you just used whole notes, it will come out to 166.65 Hz That's audio rate for those of you playing along at home. Not four tracks, not eight tracks, not even sixteen tracks, how about as many as you want? Or as many as the 100% dedicated CPU will churn out. How many steps in a single track? Not 16, not 32, not 64, are you going to make me pull it out and check the max length? Whip#@$.. Ok, it's... I might be wrong here, but it might be an easy sixteen thousand three hundred eighty four step sequencer. Hold on I just doubled it 6 more times, the display says BIG and it seems to contain way more than what I just mentioned. Why are people not talking about it?

I haven't even talked about it's sound design capabilities yet! Oh well, there is too much here for me to tell you all about and I don't think I'm going to post any more about how awesome it is. So if this is not enough to get you excited, go get yourself a oh-lead me see synth.

Have a good day.

....and it's being updated!!!
mcpepe
I have just discovered it and It seems a very capable machine. Let me ask:

1.-It has 2 stereo inputs. Line and Mic. Can you use them at the same time to mix to 2 external synths?

2.-Can you have a metronome click in the headphones output and not in the main output?
chvad
mcpepe wrote:
1.-It has 2 stereo inputs. Line and Mic. Can you use them at the same time to mix to 2 external synths?

Not currently but something like this has been requested on the forum. The developer is very active about user requests... so if enough people ask it's possible I'd guess to have it implemented.

mcpepe wrote:
2.-Can you have a metronome click in the headphones output and not in the main output?

From what I understand this isn't possible.
Koryo

This answers my short list of questions. smile
Koryo
...aaand just to answer my last question.

Huh, didn't expect that.

Renesas RZ/A1L 32-Bit 400MHz ARM Cortex-A9 most likely running a RTOS.
behndy
Koryo wrote:

This answers my short list of questions. smile

i peed a little.
chorus7
Koryo wrote:
...aaand just to answer my last question.

Huh, didn't expect that.

Renesas RZ/A1L 32-Bit 400MHz ARM Cortex-A9 most likely running a RTOS.

Just curious what this would mean? Is it a good processor? Under processed? Not super familiar with computer terminology... Hope you don’t mind the dumb question (hides)
Koryo
chorus7 wrote:
Just curious what this would mean? Is it a good processor? Under processed?

No need to hide. These are very valid questions.

I said huh, because this is a chip that is not targeted for the boutique audio market. The Japanese brand Renesas was thinking more about Toyota or the fancy new touch screen on your web enabled fridge as a suitable home.

The TL;DR for why: It's a fast, powerful, cheap one stop shop IC.

I'll let the Wellington based , "BEAMMYSELFINTOTHEFUTURE" tell you about why this is a good chip choice. wink

"DIY hardware developers today are spoilt by the ease with which they can create processor-intensive hardware with very little prior knowledge. A Teensy 3.2, for instance, runs at 96MHz and can easily process and output CD-quality audio (through its Audio Adapter Board), and the relatively small amount of coding you need to do is well documented and easy.

If you need something a bit more powerful (and with quite a bit more RAM than the Teensy 3.2’s 64KB), there’s PIC – their top MCUs (PIC32MZ) run at 200MHz, with 512KB RAM. Not quite as easy to use as Teensy / Arduino, but still manageable, and with a large user community who can help you out. (The top PIC32MZ does have many known errata, for which users are anxiously awaiting an updated version.)

But where to if you need even more power than that? That’s the question that I came up against a few months ago, and nowhere on the Internet had a definitive answer. For an advanced piece of music hardware I’m developing, I needed something with as much processing power and RAM as possible.

The option I went with, and spent several difficult months learning how to use, is the Renesas RZ. It runs at 400MHz (and has 3 times the DMIPS of the top PIC32MZ), and has between 3MB and 10MB of onboard RAM, depending on the model, and allows you to connect up to 128MB of external SDRAM. Its specs are an enormous upgrade from Teensy and PIC.

My own synthesizer engine, which crunches 32-bit integers, runs 4.2x faster on the Renesas RZ than Teensy 3.2 / 3.1. (That’s with virtually the exact same codebase – I’d bypassed the Teensy audio library and am writing generated audio data straight to a DMA-read output buffer in both cases. The same GCC optimisation settings were used.)

However, if you’re used to the friendly documentation and active online user communities around Teensy, Arduino and PIC development, you’re not going to find Renesas easy: all there is is a 2,500 page datasheet, a few example projects, and the RZ forum only gets about 3 posts per week. And yet, it’s still the best option. Nowhere could I find any hint of an MCU more powerful than the PIC32MZ with a more active user community than the Renesas RZ’s very small one.

The purpose of this post is not to provide a step-by-step guide to using Renesas RZ microcontrollers. They are extremely complicated things to use, and developers will need to know (or learn) how to do things like design their own PCBs (see below), read and understand MCU datasheets, tweak linker scripts, and unless your luck is significantly better than mine, probably troubleshoot seemingly unexplainable problems for days at a time.

This post is intended simply as a DIY-friendly introduction to the Renesas RZ so that you can assess its suitability for your project, and have some pointers should you decide to begin developing with it.

Further advantages

The Renesas RZ has multiple SPI ports, which Teensy 3.2 doesn’t have (but PIC does).

A possible advantage over PIC is that Renesas RZ development standardly uses the free GCC compiler, which includes the option to significantly optimise your compiled program. My understanding is a little limited here, but it appears that with PIC, you have to use Microchip’s XC compiler, whose free version does not include any optimisation (and the paid versions cost $495 USD and $995 USD). I could have this wrong though – maybe there is a way to use GCC with PIC.

The Renesas RZ includes an SD host interface – for talking to SD cards using a faster method than SPI. This sounds great, but what I didn’t initially realise is that in order to obtain the code library for this, or even the corresponding chapter of the datasheet, you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Renesas. This will be related to the fact that SD cards are proprietary technology, and companies have to pay a $2000 USD per year licensing fee to Secure Digital if their products interface with SD cards using the non-SPI interface. I contacted Renesas, hoping to go through the process of signing the NDA so that I could use the SD host interface in my own personal, non-commercial projects, but I think they cottoned on that I’m just a DIY enthusiast and not a large company. You can still access SD cards using SPI though – I’ve done this successfully, using the free FatFS library for handling the FAT filesystem..."
Koryo

Another take on 2.0
Koryo

cuckoo!

Bonus DivKid and crew in the background. razz
WilDFire
Wow - with this update literally this has become a DAWless DAW. Must...have. Serious cirklon competition? Possibly?
Koryo

Redmeansrecording!

I have a ton of respect for Red. He can kill it on Teenage Engineering gear. I'm curious what he can do on the Deluge

Seems like its getting some traction. Yeah!
chorus7
Koryo thanks for the info on the chip thumbs up a little over my head
but that explained it thank you...
Panason
What's going on with this dude's hands?
Koryo
Panason wrote:
What's going on with this dude's hands?

He explains why at the beginning of the vid. He's painting the garage and being a nice dude to take a break to demo stream the unit.
deltaphoenix
So, I have been watching the Deluge on and off for a bit. There is no doubt that the continual development is impressive but I go back and forth on one thing and it has kept me from getting one. Why only one set of stereo outs? If it had 2 sets of stereo outs, I would already own one.

Any owners upset about only having one set of stereo outs or is it a non-issue?
behndy
it's.... not a non-issue. i would love separate outs, the idea of 2 mini stereo outs so you can pan into 4 outs is SMART.

but so far the workaround of recording different sections while they're solo'd, while not ideal, is worth it for the love for the rest of the device?

blurghr. but yes. more outs YES PLEASE.
chvad
total non issue for me. if i really need something on it's own channel when recording i just do a second pass. for live two channels have been fine. if pushed into a corner just pan hard left and right and roll with two mono channels.
cwhiley
Sure doesn't matter to me, lol, but I only use it to sequence a room FULL of synths. I'd be silly to even care about it's engine or that single pair of outputs. I'd pay full price even if it hadn't had the synth engine although the sample engine is a must have. wink
LHOOQtius
So this thing is roughly the price of certain standalone sequencers, and has 2 CV outs. Anyone who is using it for controlling a modular rig: how is the experience? Would you recommend it over a dedicated sequencer, or no? Any shortcomings in that area? Any "this is so amazing this feature alone is worth the price" features? I'm not totally sure its synthesis engines are additive to my studio, but the sequencer might be and I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone using it this way about how its features and usability compare.
Koryo
On the road I use it stand alone practicing sequencing, modulation and voice creation. If I want to go a little deeper I use the MIDI out and cv to play with an 0-Coast. Then at home I plug it into two Polyend Poly MIDI to cv modules. This was suggested by another Muff in the eurorack 'What do you use to sequence melodies with?" And that's how I found out about the Deluge.

It's a bit expensive to go this rout, but I get portability and 64 jacks with the modular system at home. Just pull the Deluge out of my bag, plug the single MIDI USB in and go.
behndy
jia. i have a Shuttle Control to do what Koryo is talking about (with 16 outs), and even just the 2 CV and 4 gates are amazing.

the sequencer is that good and intuitive and well thought and just FUN.
Poldenstein
LHOOQtius wrote:
So this thing is roughly the price of certain standalone sequencers, and has 2 CV outs. Anyone who is using it for controlling a modular rig: how is the experience? Would you recommend it over a dedicated sequencer, or no? Any shortcomings in that area? Any "this is so amazing this feature alone is worth the price" features? I'm not totally sure its synthesis engines are additive to my studio, but the sequencer might be and I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone using it this way about how its features and usability compare.

I have an elektron A4 and a Klee in my rack. Before the
Deluge, I ended up always using A4 CV outs to send clocks to the modular as with A4’s CV sequencing I was stuck inside 64 step pattern and I had way more fun on the Klee and other sequencing options in my rack. But the D is such a powerful and open ended sequencer that now I’m using A4 just as a synth and MIDI to CV converter (seriously considering to sell it) and control everything on the D, and the Klee is often free for secondary CV duties. Assigning a track to CV out is as easy as pushing a button.
the D also have 4 gate outs, two of which can both be linked to the two CV voices, or be used with the other two inside any drum kit, alongside with internal synth sounds and samples. Outputs 3-4 can also send (very tight) clock. There’s also a CV clock input that behaves quite good with incoming heavily modulated clock.
22tape
I love that the CV's have arp functionality. You could have both CV channels in random/arp mode, enter some notes with probability factors, then mult the CV outs, send a mult of each CV into slews, mult the slews into inverters which gives you four channels of probability, synced, random fluctuating voltages, plus the two probability/quantized stepped/arp voltages at the output. Then use automation recording while wiggling the arp's gate time love

Another killer feature (maybe it's common?) is that the onboard swing can effect the incoming clock if the Deluge is externally synced.
LHOOQtius
Poldenstein wrote:

Deluge, I ended up always using A4 CV outs to send clocks to the modular as with A4’s CV sequencing I was stuck inside 64 step pattern and I had way more fun on the Klee and other sequencing options in my rack. But the D is such a powerful and open ended sequencer that now I’m using A4 just as a synth and MIDI to CV converter (seriously considering to sell it) and control everything on the D, and the Klee is often free for secondary CV duties. Assigning a track to CV out is as easy as pushing a button.
the D also have 4 gate outs, two of which can both be linked to the two CV voices, or be used with the other two inside any drum kit, alongside with internal synth sounds and samples. Outputs 3-4 can also send (very tight) clock. There’s also a CV clock input that behaves quite good with incoming heavily modulated clock.

So if you didn't have the Klee, or any other sequencer, and you got the Deluge would you feel a need for a secondary sequencer or would you feel the Deluge did it all?

I've got MIDI-to-CV to run the modular with my DAW, but there's a tactile element to something like a Deluge that maybe I can get with the Ableton Push, but I can't throw my desktop and Push into a bag and take that and my Modulor 114 or Folktek Mescaline out and about -- which I could with the Deluge.

Oh, and how much of a hassle is it to back-up and restore stuff from the Deluge to a computer? I tend to create A LOT of parts and fill hardware memory fast -- so I like to be able to cycle stuff through quickly. Is that a pain on the Deluge, or pretty straightforward?

Thanks for the input. I'm on the fence but leaning towards "yeah, it's probably worth it".
WilDFire
Would it be totally ridiculous and pornographic to add a Deluge to my home setup with a Cirklon? I don't use much modular gear, mostly midi sequencing, but the idea of pounding out some stuff in my bedroom for 10 minutes before going to bed instead of powering up and down the studio (and for battery jamming) seems to be so worth it.
Epicentre
WilDFire wrote:
Would it be totally ridiculous and pornographic to add a Deluge to my home setup with a Cirklon? I don't use much modular gear, mostly midi sequencing, but the idea of pounding out some stuff in my bedroom for 10 minutes before going to bed instead of powering up and down the studio (and for battery jamming) seems to be so worth it.

I have a Cirklon and wondered the same thing, but finally said screw it and pulled the trigger on a Deluge last night. The immediacy and portability is what sold me. I’ll let ya know soon enough...
WilDFire
Epicentre wrote:
WilDFire wrote:

I have a Cirklon and wondered the same thing, but finally said screw it and pulled the trigger on a Deluge last night. The immediacy and portability is what sold me. I’ll let ya know soon enough...

Thanks for the feedback. I’m a little worried that there are so many shortcuts but then again the cirklon has them too just a little more unique. Well shit. I think I might have to take the plunge too.
Poldenstein
LHOOQtius wrote:
Poldenstein wrote:

So if you didn't have the Klee, or any other sequencer, and you got the Deluge would you feel a need for a secondary sequencer or would you feel the Deluge did it all?

I've got MIDI-to-CV to run the modular with my DAW, but there's a tactile element to something like a Deluge that maybe I can get with the Ableton Push, but I can't throw my desktop and Push into a bag and take that and my Modulor 114 or Folktek Mescaline out and about -- which I could with the Deluge.

Oh, and how much of a hassle is it to back-up and restore stuff from the Deluge to a computer? I tend to create A LOT of parts and fill hardware memory fast -- so I like to be able to cycle stuff through quickly. Is that a pain on the Deluge, or pretty straightforward?

Thanks for the input. I'm on the fence but leaning towards "yeah, it's probably worth it".

If you own a modular you should already be aware that having a sequencer inside the rack is totally different from using an external one. Unless your only use case is for tracking (but then, wat’s the point of using a modular?), a modular sequencer can be so many things.
That said the D has the most powerful and fun sequencer I’ve happened to come by (Never tried Circklon or push, but also never felt the urge to do it) and it can be a perfect companion for a modular rig. Program on the couch, trigger/sequence your rig in studio, sample it, and back to the sofa for mangling samples, adding stuff, etc.
As long as your PC has an SD reader, backing up is just a matter of moving the SD card to the pc and copying the files.
behndy
so, still haven't sat down and read through the entire manual because i keep getting distracted with how FUN it is to use, but how does one divide/multiply the incoming clock?

i'm using the MIDI out on Pam's expander to sync the Deluge with the modular, works a charm. but say i'm sending 80 bpm and i want a pattern (or Deluge globally) to play at 160 bpm, how so i multiply the clock by 2?
Koryo
So.. Like... The other night...

I was trying to figure out how to do full range note, sweep recording. So I just held down the audition pad and went to town with the vertical knob while recording. Yep. That's exactly what was recorded.*

*(I love how it goes down to negative MIDI note values)
Koryo
This thing is perfect, and it's only getting better

I can sketch full beats and thoughts in random places, plug it in at home, and go. This is truly the device I have wanted for most if my life. I can't recommend it enough.
petersandbach
Mine has just arrived. I picked it up for that all in one portable solution. Can't wait to get it going with my modular and semi modular gear...

So far after less than an hour of tinkering, I'm delighted!

Paper manual too - nice touch.

I'll try and post some videos soon.
gravyface
The whole "Learn/Unlearn" process for each and every track with a MIDI controller has put me off.

Surely they're going to streamline this?
chvad
it's a little tedious to setup BUT it is mad flexible.
emojiseq
looking forward to pairing it up with a new CV.OCD. outside of editing the internal synth, and a few minor workflow issues it's really a joy to use. I got a cheap rockband keytar off ebay which takes batteries and has a real midi out, fun times
WilDFire
Had mine for a few weeks now and the cirklon is sulking in the corner. I may end up selling it because while the Cirklon is ridiculously deep, I realized I needed the visual component that the Deluge offers. And I'm trying to be careful not to get my hopes up too much, but the new arranger mode offered might just be the cherry on top.

And just to repeat what has been said above - the synth sounds sooo good.
WilDFire
Oh one thing to add in case anyone has had this issue - mine came with a bad internal mic - one solder point was faulty so had a tech take care of it in no time and Rohan was in communication the whole time. The support is really amazing.
Infu
If anyone is still deciding to buy it or not, DO IT!

Piano roll sequencer with unlimited length, mutable tracks, and new update coming with new additions to sequencer.

also, who doesnt want machine that can go from 1BPM to 9999?

Also confimring wonderful support from Synthstrom guys.

Its Korg Electribe 2 we always wanted + more
robleighton22
Got mine a month ago. It really is a great tool with one of the best workflows. The level of dedication from the developer turn this into the best thing since sliced bread is amazing. Even some of the 'smaller' new features in v2.0 will impress highly.

Having had various mpcs and a push 2, this device best suits my workflow working with external synths and wanting to sequence full length stuff.
emojiseq
Hi, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the various midi/usb/cv converters in the context of using my deluge/drum pads (keith mcmlln boppad etc)/computer as controllers. looks like this came up recently.

Does the deluge take full advantage of the polyend? could I make a midi track on the deluge which contained note pitch/length/velocity/modulation and have all/some of that mapped to the outputs of the poly? could I record automation like usual on the deluge and output that as cv? an external midi controller connected to the deluge could play the modular on a learnt channel?

fh-2 $299:
customization
can use usb hub for multiple devices
8 freely assignable outs + 8/$179 (32/$716) up to 64
clock in out

poly - $399:
8 channel
32 outs locked to 8 cv/gate/velocity/mod
32 more outs/$399

shuttle control - $495:
16 assignable outs

cvocd - $125.00:
4cv/12 gate out
external unit

any others?

on paper the polyseq looks pretty decent. if the deluge gets separate midi over usb as people have requested it would be a lot of sequencing power. just a bummer you cant assign the outs

Still need to test the Nerdseq as it can apparently be used as an interface for its 6 channels, it has the expanders coming out with tons of outs but not sure what's planned for the midi implementation.

thanks smile
Koryo
emojiseq wrote:
...a bummer you cant assign the outs.

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. I have two Polys and I assign each of the 16 channels with the Deluge all day long.
Koryo
Deluge firmware V2.0.0 released!

Hells yeah!
emojiseq
Koryo wrote:
emojiseq wrote:
...a bummer you cant assign the outs.

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. I have two Polys and I assign each of the 16 channels with the Deluge all day long.

I guess I mean like to setup all 4 outputs of one row to each be triggers for example instead of pitch/gate/velocity/mod, I believe that's doable with the expert sleepers/shuttle control?

Definitely interested to know more about your setup I took a brief look at the poly manual and I was curious how you get the 2nd unit to respond to channels 9-16 as it looks like the module is setup to default 1-8?

Thanks smile
Koryo
Yes, each row on the Poly is always, Gate/Pitch/Velocity/Mod. That's not the fault of the Deluge.

There are switches on the back of the poly that make it configurable. One of them shifts it from MIDI channel 1, parts 1~8 to parts 9~16.

Yes, the FH-2 is much more configurable but:

1. It was and is as of 6/27/18 is not available yet.
2. The output jack to money ratio for the FH-2 is poor.
3. Personalty I prefer the dedicated row structure of the Poly. It makes patching easier, and it never needs a computer.
rean1mator
After reading this thread with all the glowing reviews, I finally broke down and ordered one yesterday, crappy screen and all hihi

Quick question, can the Deluge get any significant performance gains between using:
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I Card 95MB/s
VS
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-II Card 300MB/s

Wondering if I should pay the extra amount for the UHS-ii card vs UHS i
Koryo
rean1mator wrote:
performance gains...300MB/s

Yes, before the update I upgraded to a 32GB Toshiba FlashAir W-04 (which you should look at because of Downrush) and it was significantly faster during loads.
Koryo
I upgraded this:

emojiseq
Koryo wrote:
Yes, each row on the Poly is always, Gate/Pitch/Velocity/Mod. That's not the fault of the Deluge.

There are switches on the back of the poly that make it configurable. One of them shifts it from MIDI channel 1, parts 1~8 to parts 9~16.

Yes, the FH-2 is much more configurable but:

1. It was and is as of 6/27/18 is not available yet.
2. The output jack to money ratio for the FH-2 is poor.
3. Personalty I prefer the dedicated row structure of the Poly. It makes patching easier, and it never needs a computer.

Thanks for clearing that up, I ordered a Poly today so looking forward to that crazyness, I think I can setup my CVOCD on the other channels for now and that should provide more than enough for my setup.

I think I saw you're also a fan of the Nerdseq. I got one and I have been enjoying it a bit but it's less intuitive than the Deluge for sure and I am feeling like the Poly'd up Deluge might do what I need. What scenarios do you find yourself using the Nerdseq? Do you have videos up anywhere?
rean1mator
Thanks! just ordered one.

Unrelated question:
I did a search for the term "sysex" in teh manual and nothing comes up.

I'd like to be able to take my ableton midi sequences and upload them to the Deluge as I do alot my my recording in Ableton using a midi keyboard.

Does the Deluge support transferring midi sequences over sysex?

Koryo wrote:
rean1mator wrote:
performance gains...300MB/s

Yes, before the update I upgraded to a 32GB Toshiba FlashAir W-04 (which you should look at because of Downrush) and it was significantly faster during loads.
Snail
Hi folks,

The Deluge looks amazing. I love traveling with my OP-1 and/or Octatrack and this looks like it could replace the Octatrack and be a lot more intuitive and fun.

The sequencing looks very immediate. I wonder if anyone would care to comment on how this is/is not like the forthcoming Dreadbox Medusa? I played with the Medusa recently and didn’t quite gel with it instantly. Preferred the sound and immediacy of the Erebus. But it also has grid/pad interface. (I currently don’t have anything with that kind of interface).
robleighton22
I would take a guess that the workflow is better as Rohan the developer is a genius. Looking at the box isn't too inspiring but really getting into the workflow identifies an element of fun and simplicity that is lacking in say Elektrons design.

There are shortfalls, prob most in detailed sample editing...which doesn't really exist. But a host of other features most hardware sequencers. Not sure if the Medusa does bi directional sequencing, which is something I would like to see if the Deluge. Also I'm sure the synth is much better, but the unlimited polyphony is hard to beat in the Deluge.
Snail
Thanks. I already have plenty of synths so I wouldn’t be looking to the Deluge primarily for that, although I’m sure I would use the onboard synth also since it’s there. I’m placing my Deluge order this week. It looks like an amazing device. I wish more synth manufacturers would try to make their devices as intuitive and easy to use as possible. As much as I love my Octatrack, the Elektron approach does baffle me sometimes. The OT also has a bit of a hard sound and I find the 8 tracks limiting — also don’t like the effects much.

I wonder if anyone uses the OT and Deluge together? Would that be an intriguing combo or just not enough added functionality for the space. I’m wondering what best to pair the Deluge with. Maybe Deluge + OP1 as then I have a keyboard too?
Koryo
Snail wrote:
...Maybe Deluge + OP1 as then I have a keyboard too?

I doubt you will use your OP-1 anymore. For pure keyboard-ness I have it paired with a Linnstrument.
hardwarecore
Snail wrote:
I’m wondering what best to pair the Deluge with. Maybe Deluge + OP1 as then I have a keyboard too?

If we're talking about staying in roughly the same price range that a used OT would inhabit, I'd say the MPC Live (for ultimate portability) or maybe the SP-16. They both have excellent, responsive pads to make up for one of the Deluge's main shortcomings. They also both handle phrase sampling much more intuitively (imo) than the Deluge, while the Deluge is possibly better for sample based synthesis.

Another option that might be fun could be a Spectralis. It's fully multitimbral
and it would be nice drive it with the Deluge's super intuitive sequencer (especially with the new arranger mode). And it makes any samples you run though it sound absolutely wonderful. Maybe Deluge, Spectralis and something like a Keystep so that you have some velocity sensitivity.

In any case, for ME, the Deluge does pretty much everything I used the Octatrack for when I had one, so the OT is nowhere near my wantlist these days. Prior to the Deluge, I had thought about possibly getting one again but see no need anymore.
emojiseq
Koryo wrote:
Snail wrote:

I doubt you will use your OP-1 anymore. For pure keyboard-ness I have it paired with a Linnstrument.

Does the linnstrument pair nicely w/ deluge despite it not having mpe support?
Koryo
emojiseq wrote:
Koryo wrote:
Snail wrote:

Does the linnstrument pair nicely w/ deluge despite it not having mpe support?

MIDI can be fully configured so it does support MPE.
Nibson
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these as apparently they are nearly out of stock....

I would be really grateful if anyone with a euro setup can answer me something. I was planning on getting a Deluge and a midi to CV converter (most likely shuttle control).

Beside sending standard voice data how hard is it to use the Deluge as a modulation source. For example could you add 3 midi tracks on the Deluge, record an automation on each track and then route the midi tracks to 3 different modules CV inputs?

From the videos and posts I've read here this seems possible. However if a project is saved and Deluge is powered off and back on would the mappings on the 3 example midi tracks mentioned above be saved and reloaded when the project/song was opened again?
Koryo
Nibson wrote:
...how hard is it to use the Deluge as a modulation source.

I can't speak for Shuttle Control but I make all types of modulations with the Deluge.

Methods:
1. program the pitch as a voltage output.
2. use the gates as clocks
3. use multiple tracks of gates of varying step lengths and use probability on them
4. use the probability and random functions for variety on pitch
5. with the vertical scroll knob and the audition, record pitch sweeps
6. now with firmware 2.0 program a cc to a gold knob, record the position
7. with the Linnstrument, record all manor of sweeps, bleeps, and blips.
Nibson
Thanks for the response. I pulled the trigger smile It sounds like it will do what I'm after.
Nibson
Well it arrived surprisingly quickly. I haven't used it loads yet but I'm really enjoying it! It's incredibly simple to use and best of all you can save midi automations and replay them.

For anyone interested in the setup/workflow for eurorack just connect the Deluge to a midi to CV / midi interface module and then do the following on the Deluge:

Set the track to midi
Assign the gold knob to a midi CC (I have a Yarns so I chose CC1 which is the mod wheel and comes out as CV3 on Yarns)
Connect the CV out of the midi interface module to a CV input for any module
Press record on the deluge and do a sweep with the gold knob
press play on the Deluge and see the automation replayed

If you save the song then both the CC assignment to the golden knob and automation are preserved.[/list]
4eyez
robleighton22 wrote:
There are shortfalls, prob most in detailed sample editing...which doesn't really exist.

Looks like that's about to change:

4eyez
Also, if anyone is looking for a MIDI to CV module to go with the Deluge beyond it's built-in outputs, I highly recommend CV.OCD. I picked up two of them recently and it's a great match. So many different ways to configure it, from simple sequencable gates, polyphonic v/oct+gate voice control, or CC modulation with the gold knobs which can be recorded and played back by the Deluge. Feels pretty endless.
4eyez
Snail wrote:
I wonder if anyone would care to comment on how this is/is not like the forthcoming Dreadbox Medusa? I played with the Medusa recently and didn’t quite gel with it instantly. Preferred the sound and immediacy of the Erebus. But it also has grid/pad interface. (I currently don’t have anything with that kind of interface).

I have a Deluge currently and I'm planning on getting a Medusa to go along with it. The Deluge currently functions as the brain of my setup which basically means sequencing duties, it's really intuitive and quick for this. I see the sampling and synth functions of it as additional perks. I was starting to doubt the quality of it's synth engine, but then I started playing with single cycle waveforms and it's new analog filter and I was getting some really gnarly sounds.

Reasons I think the Medusa would be a nice compliment or expansion of what the Deluge does:

-Better "keyboard" mode. The Deluge keys are small for playing like a keyboard, but totally fine for sequencing. The Medusa keys look like a much for playable size. The Deluge doesn't have velocity sensitivity, so the Medusa would bring that plus all the X/Y/aftertouch action. Medusa also looks like you can really customize the note layout in keyboard mode beyond just a push-style scale layout.

-While I did mention the synth engine was growing on me, I do like the idea of having much more hands on access to all the synth parameters at once. The Deluge is the least annoying "menu-diving" experience I've had with a desktop, but it's not the same has having all the parameters available with dedicated knobs/buttons.

-Nothing wrong with more sequencers. The Deluge sequencer is great for straight beat programming and there are some fun things to explore with the random arpeg, etc. But the Medusa seems like it handle sequence mangling a lot deeper. I like the idea of having one straight sequencer and one wacked out one.

-And I've just always dreamed of an analog synth with a grid keyboard!
termit
Some more info on 2.1 firmware update:

gringostar
Looking at samplers and I wanted to know how this handles the old trick of sampling something and then pitching down 3 octaves. Is it pristine like in kontact or does it color the sound a bit like with older boxes?
brandonlogic
just placed my order, cant want to get it and dive in. i cant believe this machine isnt more popular. so excited to get it!! It's peanut butter jelly time!
SPIKE the Percussionist
as i keep studying this noiz weapon it keeps becoming more and more of an OT8 killer...

when it first arrived i delved into the synthesis, creating kits and patterns.

i finally started going through the manual page by page digging in to all of it's features and discovered the conditional trigs!

GREAT for variances in rhythm structures and bass lines!

still trying to get a better grasp on some of the features of Arranger mode.
(like the use of "white LED" patterns)
defalut
brandonlogic wrote:
just placed my order, cant want to get it and dive in. i cant believe this machine isnt more popular. so excited to get it!! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Nice!
It IS actually quite popular, it just haven´t been released with a massive marketing campaign so it´s been under the radar for the big crowd. And since it has only been sold out of the New Zealand HQ and only in batches that run out fast, i think a lot of people lose interest.

Glad you took the leap, it´s totally worth it. smile I´ve had mine for little over a year now and it´s the best studio companion one can have.
Struggle
Recently found one locally on Craigslist. I was amazed how easy this thing is to program right out of the box. It’s also fun to learn and doesn’t feel like such a chore. I’m really stoked on this thing!
Shrigg
gringostar wrote:
Looking at samplers and I wanted to know how this handles the old trick of sampling something and then pitching down 3 octaves. Is it pristine like in kontact or does it color the sound a bit like with older boxes?

I'd like to know this too... Anyone?
snakejaw
Does anyone know if its possible to export patterns created on the Deluge into your DAW? For example, could I create a drum pattern in Deluge and then transfer the created Midi notes to a sequence in Ableton? I'd love to be able to jam on the Deluge and integrate the results into my computer.
chvad
Shrigg wrote:
gringostar wrote:

I'd like to know this too... Anyone?

You have options... when looping you can time stretch stuff or just straight up pitch stuff. When pitching also transposing or chromatically I don't think the samples go complete grit like on an older Akai (which i like) but I wouldn't call it transparent either. It's got a character but its somewhere in between being ripped up and glossy. Not sure if that helps or not!
22tape
Aaaaand now it'll have live-looping we're not worthy

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2076/newsletter-april-2019

And Qwerty entry on pads, and USB host functionality, and...

Seriously. This thing. Rohan is a machine.
chvad
USB host functionality is THE BOMB. So happy they implemented that. Synthstrom support and progressive development are unparalleled. Feature upon feature added without any additional cost. Just amazing.
22tape
chvad wrote:
Synthstrom support and progressive development are unparalleled. Feature upon feature added without any additional cost. Just amazing.

Indeed.

Crazy that a full-fledged arranger, multisampling, live looper and USB host, amongst a ton of other things, have been implemented within three rather short update cycles. And all of this functionality wasn't even mentioned as a possibility when I bought it. Each update saves me more money love

Oh and a wavetable synth engine is coming!

For me, the best groovebox/workstation in history.

And yet, there's only two new posts about it in one of the busiest gear forums around. No love! lol

Let go of the screen addiction and support this beautiful instrument! Rockin' Banana!
chvad
wavetable? I had no idea! that is AWESOME.
tenembre
Meh. It's got a ton of functionality, but my actual experience of using it was...underwhelming. Jack of all trades, master of none. It also crashed on me in the middle of a live show.

Basically, it was Fruity Loops in a box.
22tape
What I meant to say was-- it's a functional a piece of shit. I don't know why I have it. And Fruit Loops is my favorite cereal.
tenembre
22tape wrote:
What I meant to say was-- it's a functional a piece of shit. I don't know why I have it.

Ok, that made me laugh. Thanks.

If you're digging it, feel free to ignore my experience. You probably already are.
chvad
It's interface is worth learning IMO. I got it to use primarily as a polyphonic hardware sampler... which is in short supply. To that end... I've ended up using for a lot more than that. Bummer you had crashes at shows. I've had opposite experiences live. I'm surprised that it hasn't crashed as I've pumped it full of CC data streams and it's always been rock solid live. So much so I'm trying to get the majority of the electronics on our shows on this to ease up the gear load. Jack of all trades perhaps...but that's exactly why I got it. I keep the "masters" at home. lol. Nice heavy gear is a pain in the ass to move around.
tenembre
I used to haul an SVT and an 8x10 cab to shows. So I don't see an Octatrack and a couple of synths (or an MPC, if I needed polyphony) as being a significant increase in burden vs. a Deluge (unless I'm getting on a plane). YMMV. If a Deluge is saving you having to bring a rack sampler or a laptop+interface I can see the practical benefit. That's aside from the experience of using the Deluge to compose music and play it back live in a creative way, which I found lacking and reminded me far too much of Fruity Loops. But it sounds like you're controlling it externally (pumping in CCs), which I was not.
chvad
no composing or sequencing no. i am dragging an amp, guitar, fx and percussive stuff around in addition to the electronics so size and load in time matter a lot to me. ive also been playing a long while, not exactly young and have a herniated disc so weight is always on my mind when traveling with gear. we get nice shows on occasion but never roadies lol. also lugging shit around NYC subways sucks. It's all size and weight for me.
22tape
I don't get the Fruity Loops comparison. It feels like an insult from 1998, but Fruity Loops is actually an extremely powerful DAW Dead Banana
Branko
The only complaint I have is that the synth presets it comes with sound kinda shitty. I need to sit down and prepare a proper card with presets that work for me.
tenembre
22tape wrote:
I don't get the Fruity Loops comparison. It feels like an insult from 1998, but Fruity Loops is actually an extremely powerful DAW Dead Banana

FL Studio is an extremely powerful DAW, but I don't think the Deluge is quite there (or should be; it's not a DAW). More to the point, "Fruity Loops" is funnier to say and I grant my opinions artistic license. My insults, if or when I choose to use them, tend to be direct and sealed for freshness. Enjoy your afternoon in whatever decade you prefer.
WilDFire
So I disagree that the synth presets sound shitty - many are lovely. The bass ones? Yeah, not the best, but the pads are luscious.

I sold my cirklon after getting this and have never looked back.

It is SO immediate and musical.

Sampling is so simple and usable.

AND it is a KILLER midi hub for the studio. Don't like your internal synth patch? Touch one button and send it to your Peak.

Constant updates.

Very reasonable price.

Internal battery.

CV.

My ONE quibble is that there is only one midi out. I have more than 16 midi targets, so that is the only thing that is a bummer.

And yet, if I can't make music with 16 instruments plus what's in the Deluge, that is squarely on me.
Koryo
tenembre wrote:
Jack of all trades, master of none. It also crashed on me in the middle of a live show.

Fruity Loops huh? Portable, instant on, FL in a box, yeah, sign me up.

Couldn't be more opposite in my opinion. I use it to sequence and modulate eurorack, never crashes, boots up instantly, sampler, synth, portable, and for that, it is king.
tenembre
Koryo wrote:
tenembre wrote:
Jack of all trades, master of none. It also crashed on me in the middle of a live show.

Fruity Loops huh? Portable, instant on, FL in a box, yeah, sign me up.

Couldn't be more opposite in my opinion. I use it to sequence and modulate eurorack, never crashes, boots up instantly, sampler, synth, portable, and for that, it is king.

You know, when people have to jump in nearly a month after a mild criticism of something to heap praise on it and crown it "king", there may be some fanboyism going on.
behndy
lol. mebbe. orrrrrr some of us only check threads once in awhile?

i love the Deluge. been solid as butts, never crashed, like Koryo Home Boy i use it to sequence Euro loots, sample and synth a bit. i've taken it on every trip i've done since i got it and it's a beauty to plink ideas out on.
mcpepe
I also LOVE mine. It's easy to use and very well featured. Portability is really a plus. Being able to work elsewhere anytime is marvellous.
Birth_Chord
Considering the Deluge to pair with the Octatrack... I just need more drums really. I'm not the biggest fan of having to resample drum beats every time and I also don't like single track monophonic drum beats usually especially when I usually use acoustic samples.

I have an Octatrack, bit of musical-focused modular, DSI OB-6, and my guitar... I'm torn between this and the MPC Live... I feel like the OT + Deluge might be just a bit too much to properly handle without under-utilizing one or the other but I'm really drawn to it.

Any comments on owning the Deluge with an OT or should I go with the MPC Live for drum focus?
WilDFire
I have both the deluge and the octatrack and they both do drums very well - both have probablistic sequencing. I think the main limitation is that you only have the one set of outputs from the deluge - but you could have the same pattern with a 100 different kits on the deluge.

Note that I also have a machine drum and tr-8s. The tr-8s is my main drum machine - love it to death.
Birth_Chord
WilDFire wrote:
I have both the deluge and the octatrack and they both do drums very well - both have probablistic sequencing. I think the main limitation is that you only have the one set of outputs from the deluge - but you could have the same pattern with a 100 different kits on the deluge.

Note that I also have a machine drum and tr-8s. The tr-8s is my main drum machine - love it to death.

I was actually just watching videos on the TR-8s... it’s now between that and the MPC Live. Deluge is amazing but I don’t think it’s primarily suited to what I need. Can’t really figure out what I could use more. With the MPC I can add essentially anything extra I need but the TR looks very fun to play.
WilDFire
The tr-8s is SO much fun to play. Sound quality is excellent, you can add your own samples, individual outs. It rules. But I’ve never been an mpc guy so can’t help you there.
brandonlogic
I've had the deluge for a couple months know. Initially it seemed really easy to pick up on and learn, but after diving deeper into its functions it's starting to feel a little less intuitive. lots of button presses and combinations and processes that are hard to remember. the screen/abbreviations are annoying. i feel like every time i use it now i need to looks at the manual. just so many little things you need to remember... hopefully it stats to sync in and i dont get discouraged and sell the thing. but i still have hope.
lumin
brandonlogic wrote:
I've had the deluge for a couple months know. Initially it seemed really easy to pick up on and learn, but after diving deeper into its functions it's starting to feel a little less intuitive. lots of button presses and combinations and processes that are hard to remember. the screen/abbreviations are annoying. i feel like every time i use it now i need to looks at the manual. just so many little things you need to remember... hopefully it stats to sync in and i dont get discouraged and sell the thing. but i still have hope.

I dealt with this as well. I started to find my way around it after a few months of constant usage, but occasionally I have to reference the manual to find how to use a function I normally don't use. It does get easier with more time spent.
jabberwalky
I've heard essentially the same experience regarding the Octatrack, where the button combos tend to drip out of the brain after a few months. Hell, even expert guitarists admit to feeling rusty after too much time away. Like many of these modern sequencers, they're designed and intended to be treated as instruments. With the full midi CC implementation, there's a plethora of control and surface options you could configure into something more tactile, and less "sea of buttons".
mcpepe
The Deluge is a very powerful machine, so it's normal to need some time to learn it properly.
What I can say is that the learning process was a lot shorter with my Deluge than with my Octatrack, for sure.
Birth_Chord
I came from the Digitakt to the Octatrack and tried multuple Elektron boxes before that, so there wasn't really much of a learning curve besides a few different shortcuts, legit slicing, the machines, and some internal nuances like a consistently saved state.

The Deluge would be like starting all over again. I'd like to try one at some point, maybe if I get a good deal... I got the PreSonus ATOM controller as I use Studio One, and even the pad shortcuts there aren't my thing even if I learned them all in 20 minutes (not a very in depth machine).

However, practice is always the answer. Until it becomes muscle memory there will always be a bit of disconnect between the desire and action. I found that even when I knew the OT inside out, if I didn't practice it every week, my workflow speed, let alone performance chops, would take a hit for sure.
Christopher Winkels
I finally decided to stop prevaricating and purchased one yesterday.

Ian of Synthstrom gave a very compelling demo of it at SB19 last month and nothing in the videos I've watched since (much to Mrs. Winkels's dismay...) have done anything to dissuade me. I'm actually a bit attracted to the fact that there will be a learning curve. I've avoided that kind of gear for the last few years, possibly to my detriment.
brandonlogic
I decided I need to part with it, see my post in FST or pm me if interested.
Poldenstein
One of the features that doesn't get mentioned enough is the superb customer care.
Look at me: after one year and a half of usage, beta testing v3 showed a previously unnoticed hardware problem. I had the unit sent at the other side of the globe and back and the motherboard replaced in less than 10 days and without shelling a penny. Now back to beta testing that gorgeous looper..
Fentune
Poldenstein wrote:
One of the features that doesn't get mentioned enough is the superb customer care.
Look at me: after one year and a half of usage, beta testing v3 showed a previously unnoticed hardware problem. I had the unit sent at the other side of the globe and back and the motherboard replaced in less than 10 days and without shelling a penny. Now back to beta testing that gorgeous looper..

What was the hardware issue? Hope it isn't on every unit!
Poldenstein
(I wanted to praise Synthstrom's excellent policy, and now I start to worry if I would have better avoided it..)
It was an intermittent ram issue, totally not related to the beta (!!). I guess a quite rare one too.
slumberjack
I'm now in between this and akai force. I must admit that I attended a private marketing show in a friends studio a few years back and that I was pretty impressed as a cirklon user.
Fentune
Poldenstein wrote:
(I wanted to praise Synthstrom's excellent policy, and now I start to worry if I would have better avoided it..)
It was an intermittent ram issue, totally not related to the beta (!!). I guess a quite rare one too.

Did the RAM issue affect internal clock speed? Was there any BPM drifting?
Poldenstein
Fentune wrote:

Not at all. In my experience with Deluge timing has always been rock solid.
It caused the unit to crash.

(And, BTW, V3 IS OUT!!!!!!)
Fentune
Poldenstein wrote:
Fentune wrote:

Not at all. In my experience with Deluge timing has always been rock solid.
It caused the unit to crash.

(And, BTW, V3 IS OUT!!!!!!)

I can't believe the amount of support and updates the deluge gets- and there's more to come...wavetables anyone? It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 14