MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

System X ADSR now available in MU format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author System X ADSR now available in MU format
frequencycentral
Took a while to get here, but...the snappiest envelope in Euro just became the snappiest envelope in MU.

Available both DIY and built.

DIY: http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1730

Built: http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1776

coyoteous
Nice!

$250 for built at perfect circuit, though... gave me the shakes for a little while.

They are purdy.
Hirsbro
Im so getting a few of these got th euro version and it is so nice cramp but nice
Hirsbro
BTW...! please make the system x vca in 5U too love we're not worthy
frequencycentral
coyoteous wrote:
Nice!

$250 for built at perfect circuit, though... gave me the shakes for a little while.

They are purdy.

Price is a shade high at PCA...not sure why. They are also available direct.
frequencycentral
Hirsbro wrote:
BTW...! please make the system x vca in 5U too love we're not worthy

Ultimately hoping to bring most of the FC range to MU. Obviously this is down to the economics of scale, as making each design available comes at a price, and MU just ain't as big as Euro (ironically!). But I'm hoping the MU market is big enough to justify the investment in developing more FC modules.

Long story short, this is our best seller in Euro, if it takes off in MU I'll plough the money directly into new MU modules. ;-)
Hirsbro
Well I will try support you as much as I can hihi
Flareless
I built a System X ADSR a few months ago. I really love it and use it very often. The Fast / Slow option makes the envelope generator extremely flexible.

Here is an article on the build which includes a video demonstration of the module in action.

An easy build, an excellent module and a good price. Definitely a winner!
Stereotactixxx
Great to see another MU player! applause

Honestly though, my gut reaction was more yawn than yay. At first glance it looked like yet another ADSR envelope without any special functions and with those annoying miniature knobs for no apparent reason.

But then I listened to the demo on your site, and MAN those really ARE some some snappy envelopes. The Agonizer!
It seems like they actually do bring something extra to the format (which is probably a must if you are only offering one module).
I also like that they have what seems like Re:Synthesis panels.
Flareless
Stereotactixxx wrote:

Honestly though, my gut reaction was more yawn than yay. At first glance it looked like yet another ADSR envelope without any special functions and with those annoying miniature knobs for no apparent reason.

I'm glad the video was helpful!

The panel is by Caleb Condit and it's my one beef. As you can see there are piles of unused real estate on it. Using the nice chunky 25mm panels cover up the knob gradations. This isn't a critical flaw but the did such a nice job with them it's a shame to cover them.

It also makes the labels tougher to read at an angle. Once again not truly critical as once familiar with our modules we pretty much know which knob does what.

I plan to build another of these beauties in the near future, however, I might just screen up my own panel with vertical labels to the left of the knobs. Keeping the knob placement might be tricky though. The potentiometers are mounted directly onto the board and then the whole thing fastens to the panel via the knobs without standoffs. The trouble is that my knob gradation graphic might not fit in the space provided. I'll have to design the panel to make this determination. Flying wires for the knobs are not an option, however, as there are not other mounting holes for standoffs.

Still this is a great module and I highly recommend it!
Stereotactixxx
Flareless wrote:
Stereotactixxx wrote:

To be perfect honest, I was referring to the demo on the Frequency Central site, which I thought was an excellent demo of the attack/decay snappiness. However, I did enjoy your demo too.
Hirsbro
Stereotactixxx wrote:
Flareless wrote:
Stereotactixxx wrote:

To be perfect honest, I was referring to the demo on the Frequency Central site, which I thought was an excellent demo of the attack/decay snappiness. However, I did enjoy your demo too.

Cant find that demo? care to share a link w00t
unrecordings
Flareless wrote:
Flying wires for the knobs are not an option, however, as there are not other mounting holes for standoffs.

I've ordered one and will be attempting flying wires - I'll let you know how it goes...
Stereotactixxx
Hirsbro wrote:

It's on the euro ADSR page, I'm assuming the MU version is no different.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MoroderCl arke.mp3
Hirsbro
Stereotactixxx wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:

It's on the euro ADSR page, I'm assuming the MU version is no different.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MoroderCl arke.mp3

Thanks thumbs up
peachfuzzmcgee
I was interested in building one but didnt care for the panel spacing so I passed. The perfect circuit price seems high especially when there are envelopes with vca, looping, and other features for not much more but I understand developing for us is biznatch since the consumer base is a bit small.
Flareless
unrecordings wrote:
Flareless wrote:
Flying wires for the knobs are not an option, however, as there are not other mounting holes for standoffs.

I've ordered one and will be attempting flying wires - I'll let you know how it goes...

Looking forward to seeing your results!
unrecordings
Until the board shows up, I'm thinking of mounting perpendicular to the panel which will require two holes to be drilled - between the electrolytics at the bottom and somewhere up at the top (where there's plenty of space). Also thinking of mounting the LED & Switch by the side of the pots, as per MOTM190
sduck
Flareless wrote:

Sure flying wires are an option - once you're not mounting the pots to the pcb, you've got 8 handy holes you can repurpose for mounting!
Flareless
sduck wrote:
Flareless wrote:

Sure flying wires are an option - once you're not mounting the pots to the pcb, you've got 8 handy holes you can repurpose for mounting!

I stand corrected d'oh!

Some very interesting ideas. I've got several projects ahead of my next System X ADSR but I will definitely have another and I will definitely be watching the awesome creativity of my fellow Wigglers for ideas.
unrecordings
sduck wrote:
Flareless wrote:

I always look at these with curious eyes, but (for me) they tend to need enlarging and are a little too close to traces that are easily damaged by an idiot with a drill.
sduck
unrecordings wrote:
sduck wrote:
Flareless wrote:

I always look at these with curious eyes, but (for me) they tend to need enlarging and are a little too close to traces that are easily damaged by an idiot with a drill.

For these, I wouldn't use regular screws/bolts or whatever, but instead use nylon standoffs - mouser sells these in a variety of sizes - then you can cut the attachment end to size with an exacto knife. I love the nylon standoffs - you can use them in lots of ways, sometimes as they were designed for, sometimes not so much!
unrecordings
I finally had a look today - you can get an M2.5 screw into these pot mounting holes, so I'm going perpendicular with a couple of small L shaped brackets to the panel (from RS)

(although I could mount parallel to the panel as I think I've some reclaimed standoffs somewhere that are M2.5 - hmm...)
unrecordings
Here's the finished article. I only had M3 standoffs, so decided to go with the right angle brackets (they're M2.5 screws attached to those brackets)

Worth noting that for MOTM builders the MTA156 power header is upside down on the silkscreen so check before soldering (the MTA156 is correct in this photo)

I believe Rick is updating his documentation to address this

Paradigm X
nice work.

i see (on your blog) youve just finished the oakley overdrive II - im just about to finish mine too, just missing a couple of parts.

edit : whoops, sorry rick, thought i was posting in the weekend thread when i posted this, not your adsr thread. sorry. oops
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2