MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to round-out my small 5U system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author How to round-out my small 5U system
BTByrd
A while back I decided to "go modular" to expand my Minimoog Voyager. Many thousands of dollars later, I've added a 9U Euro system, a Futureretro XS, some Moogerfoogers, and a 10U MOTM format system. Here's what the MOTM/5U system is composed of at the moment:

MOTM-190 Dual VCA/RM
MOTM-440 Discrete OTA Lowpass VCF
MOTM-480 CS-80 VCF
MOTM-800 ADSR EG
MOTM-890 uMixer
Modcan VCDO
Oakley 303 Superladder (3U)
STG Mankato (soon to be purchased from one of our fellow wigglers)

So that's the setup. I know what you may be thinking. "No analog VCOs (aside from Mankato)? No LFOs? No mults? How in blazes is this guy going to do anything with such a puny setup?" Well, a lot of the functionality I'm missing in the native MOTM format, I can get from either my Euro modules, the semi-modular stuff, or the moogerfoogers.

I use modular stuff primarily as expanders for my semi-modular stuff. That is, I'll change the sound of the Moog or XS by incorporating, say, a digital oscillator and "character" filter into their signal path. Additionally, I use the modular stuff to process/weirdify audio sent from my DAW. I make psychedelic tranceish stuff (a la Infected Mushroom and Hallucinogen) and downtempo ambient in the model of Shpongle, so getting freaky with audio is a must.

Presently I have 6 empty spaces (3 "typical size" modules) in my case, and I'm wondering how to fill them. After these spaces are filled, I will have room for NO MORE MODULES. My journey to modular-land will be complete! SlayerBadger! (... at least for now ambulance).

With these things in mind, here are some modules that have my attention:

The Modcan Dual FS (This one I'm sold on - definitely going to place my order with Bruce in the next week)
Modcan Miniwave B + Scale ROM
Modcan Delay of some type (flanger or whatever)
MOTM Suboctave Multiplexer
Either the Modcan or MOTM EQ/FFB Modules
Some sort of Waveshaper (Suggestions please!)

Everyone likes the Miniwave a lot, and I get lusty whenever I see a digital oscillator I don't have. But I'm starting to think that the functionality of the Miniwave may be matched by the Eurorack Piston Honda. Anyone care to comment on this?

I also don't know if the delay is necessary, since I'll soon be getting an Ibanez AD-202 analog delay/flanger and I have a RE-201 + Z-DSP.

An EQ module would be nice since I have no hardware EQs, but I'd be sad to waste a module to something as mundane (though doubtless useful) as EQ. If anyone has suggestions for nice hardware EQ that won't break the bank, I'd be much obliged.

So in the end, I've really got 2 spaces for modules (or four, if you've got slim suggestions). The Modcan Dual FS will be mine! But as to what other 5U modules I'll be buying soon, I'm not so sure MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Lemme know what you think!
drewtoothpaste
Do you have a hardware sequencer or are you doing it all in software?
BTByrd
I'm doing it mostly in software, but I was planning on adding an Orb or a Revolution to have some hardware sequencing (and maybe make a little acid with my Jomox 888). I figure that for a little bit more than the Orb, I can pick up a used second gen Revolution. I've got a Z8000, but I mostly use that for step-sequencing filters (or whatever) rather than actual pitch sequencing. If I could get a quantizer ROM for the Piston Honda's external input, that might change things... I'm open to suggestions on the sequencer front, but I don't want to spend a boatload.
sandyb
what about a modcan cv recorder?
it can work as many things. it could process/mangle audio from your daw, act as a sequencer, lfo, oscillator etc...
sunsinger
I have the Modcan Dual FS and I love it. I've also got the Modcan VC- Flanger based on BBD architecture. That thing sounds incredible. I use it alot. But I wouldn't call the Flanger a Delay, it is to short even for quick slapback.

I've heard great things about the Modcan Digital Delay. I've got the Modcan BBD Super Delay at 8000 delay events, it's pretty cool, if you can find one.
drewtoothpaste
For what it's worth I would love to pick up a Modcan Digital Delay to add to my own system. I track into Pro Tools so most of my EQ/post-process delay is in there so I can automate it.

The orb/revolution seems like it would be great for the kind of stuff you're making, so good choice there.

Do you have an envelope follower in Euro? If not, you might add a preamp/envelope-follower in 5U so you can have more options for sending drums/pads/sequences thru the modular for frequency shifting / ring modding / etc.

You might also consider a spring reverb of some kind, because they're cheap and hard to simulate well in software. IR spring reverbs sound static compared to the real thing.
BTByrd
sandyb: I hadn't really checked out the CV recorder before and didn't really think of all the possibilities. There's some cool stuff in the demo, and I'm still trying to get my head around how some of the MP3 demos were created. It's definitely something to consider.

sunsinger: I've heard nothing but great things about the Modcan delays. That said, I did just pull the trigger on the AD-202, so that should have me pretty much covered delay-wise.

Drew: I don't have a euro envelope follower, but I do have a FreqBox which has a preamp and an envelope follower. I don't know how that would stack up to the Modcan or Euro env. follower modules. I've also got a spring reverb on the RE-201, which is a little sprongy but it does the job. From what I can tell, I prefer pretty dense algorithmic verbs (a la Eventide) to springs and plates.

Looking at waveshapers, another forum member suggested the STG wavefolder. That looks like a nice module, and I'm curious to hear how it stacks up against the Oakley Discontinuity. Anyone used both?

I'm leaning toward the dual FS, the Discontinuity, and the MOTM SubOctaver at the moment. That'd leave me without a hardware EQ... anyone got suggestions on EQs (mono or stereo) that work well with synths but won't break the bank? It seems like any decent EQ I come across is $1k or more.
dude
i just got a cv recorder and it is insane with cv and audio. a total mangler but also great rhythmic possibility. your mind is the limit with it even moreso than most modules. i LOVE my stg wavefolder. it is ridiculously awesome sounding. i have a modcan digi delay on order. cannot comment on its power but i have a hunch it will be the delay i have been looking for.
dude
and i have to say the pairing of stg wavefolder + encore freq shift is (even with just those two modules) nothing less than amazing for freak sounds. add any sort of time based stuff (delays etc) and you get sweet blooping modular jazzhands with variable glove action (including sprarklesâ„¢). it is my preferred bleeper patch.
MindMachine
Also remember that MOTM is coming out with the E350 Morphing Terrarium in 5U... who knows when, but likely by the end of the year.

I envy your Modcan VCDO. A lot. Really, a lot.
dude
MindMachine wrote:
Also remember that MOTM is coming out with the E350 Morphing Terrarium in 5U... who knows when, but likely by the end of the year.

I envy your Modcan VCDO. A lot. Really, a lot.

true and i also envy the vcdo. i have been fighting whether i should snag a vcdo or hertz donut for a while. i have a distinct feeling i will get along better with the vcdo but the hertz has serious powers and is really fun.

but again i digress.
BTByrd
BTByrd wrote:
Looking at waveshapers, another forum member suggested the STG wavefolder. That looks like a nice module, and I'm curious to hear how it stacks up against the Oakley Discontinuity. Anyone used both?

Just thought I'd ask again.

dude wrote:
and i have to say the pairing of stg wavefolder + encore freq shift is (even with just those two modules) nothing less than amazing for freak sounds. add any sort of time based stuff (delays etc) and you get sweet blooping modular jazzhands with variable glove action (including sprarklesâ„¢). it is my preferred bleeper patch.

Hahaha... i love sweet blooping modular jazzhands. Especially with variable glove action! I'd love to hear something like this in action, as well as a description of the patch. That's my big issue with the CV recorder at the moment... the demos on the Modcan site sound really cool, but I can't really figure out how many of them are patched.

MindMachine wrote:

I've got this in Eurorack, and the 5U version is sure to be super awesome. I don't have the correct PSU for it though, and I wouldn't want to double up on a module just yet. Even something I love as much as the E350.
Synthbuilder
BTByrd wrote:

They're both really different modules. The Discon can do wavefolding but it does so in a completely different way to the STG one. So for the most part it's very difficult to compare them as equals, like one would when comparing different filters. I guess it's more like comparing a VCA with a Comparator, such that the STG can do things the Discon can't and vice versa. Indeed, I don't either of them can do what the other can.

Perhaps buy both hyper

Tony
klstay
MOTM 730
Encore UEG
MOTM 820

Absolute ton of functionality in each of those.
dude
i'll post a demo when i get a sec. i am WAY swamped right now. a friendly reminder in the next few days might help too.
rezzn8r
another vote for the CV Recorder. Great module!
BTByrd
I just e-mailed Bruce about ordering the Dual FS... we'll see how long the wait will be!

The CV recorder sure is getting a lot of love. I saw rezzn8r's vid up on Youtube and really liked the drone... really rezzy, my man! I'm starting to really consider the CV recorder, though I'm still not sure about its capacities for processing audio (aside from loop mangling). Anyone care to elaborate?

And of course, Dude, I'll be looking forward to any demos you might be able to come up with!
dude
i will see what i can come up with. hopefully in the next couple of days. school is rough right now and folks are coming in for a long weekend so...
rezzn8r
BTByrd wrote:
I just e-mailed Bruce about ordering the Dual FS... we'll see how long the wait will be!

The CV recorder sure is getting a lot of love. I saw rezzn8r's vid up on Youtube and really liked the drone... really rezzy, my man! I'm starting to really consider the CV recorder, though I'm still not sure about its capacities for processing audio (aside from loop mangling). Anyone care to elaborate?

And of course, Dude, I'll be looking forward to any demos you might be able to come up with!

in terms of audio processing, it functions as a bit reducer. could also affect pitch if audio is sampled. sampling the cv avoids the pitch change when changing speed.
I use it a lot for recording cv from a ribbon or joystick, or gates from a sequencer.
dude
here is that wavefolder>freq shift demo

demo

it isn't the best but it shows some of the sound palette. for even more fun, add ueg and mankato and a delay!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1