MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nord Drum 3p
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Nord Drum 3p
samn
Anyone have it? Any impressions? Tips? Things you like/dont like(without comparing it to the 2)?

I just got one recently and I have never owned something like it. so I am having some fun with it although I am curious about saving kits/drums it seems like you can only save single drums.

Pretty massive sounding drums.
nostalghia
samn wrote:
I am curious about saving kits/drums it seems like you can only save single drums.

No, you can certainly save kits-wouldn't be very useful (especially for live sets) if you couldn't. See page 6 of the manual-make sure you turn off memory protect first:

Nord Drum 3P Manual

"STORE KIT
Use Store Kit to save any changes made to a drum Kit to the Nord drum 3P memory. When STORE KIT is pressed the displays will flash and the dial can be used to select the location to which you want to store the drum Kit.

MEMORY PROTECT
When the Nord Drum 3P is shipped, memory Protect is set to on in order to avoid accidentally overwriting drum Kits. Turn memory Protect off (Pr.Of) in the system settings to enable storing drum Kits on the Nord drum 3P."

Haven't tried the 3P, but I really like my Nord Drum 2. Trigger inputs work great from a Eurorack MI Grids module, as well as sequencing via Midi from BeatStep Pro.
samn
nostalghia wrote:
samn wrote:
I am curious about saving kits/drums it seems like you can only save single drums.

No, you can certainly save kits-wouldn't be very useful (especially for live sets) if you couldn't. See page 6 of the manual-make sure you turn off memory protect first:

Nord Drum 3P Manual

"STORE KIT
Use Store Kit to save any changes made to a drum Kit to the Nord drum 3P memory. When STORE KIT is pressed the displays will flash and the dial can be used to select the location to which you want to store the drum Kit.

MEMORY PROTECT
When the Nord Drum 3P is shipped, memory Protect is set to on in order to avoid accidentally overwriting drum Kits. Turn memory Protect off (Pr.Of) in the system settings to enable storing drum Kits on the Nord drum 3P."

Haven't tried the 3P, but I really like my Nord Drum 2. Trigger inputs work great from a Eurorack MI Grids module, as well as sequencing via Midi from BeatStep Pro.

Ah yes, I saw that. I guess I phrased that wrong. I think you have to overwrite the preset kit banks. I wasn't sure if there were user kit banks as there are user drum banks.
nostalghia
I don't think it has a dedicated, reserved "User" bank for kits (just individual drums), so looks like you'll need to make a list with the location of kits you don't like or won't use and overwrite those when you save a custom kit.

This will help-download the free Nord Drum 3 Manager software (Mac/Windows, a MIDI interface is required):

Nord Drum 3 Manager

"The Nord Drum 3 Manager software lets you send or receive individual Kit and Drum Banks to and from your Nord Drum 3P, making it easy to load new factory banks, backup your current banks or easily share sounds with other Nord Drum 3P users."

There's also a backup of the factory drum kit library on the Nord site in case you ever accidentally save over a kit you wanted to keep.

Downloads for Nord Drum 3P
samn
nostalghia wrote:
I don't think it has a dedicated, reserved "User" bank for kits (just individual drums), so looks like you'll need to make a list with the location of kits you don't like or won't use and overwrite those when you save a custom kit.

This will help-download the free Nord Drum 3 Manager software (Mac/Windows, a MIDI interface is required):

Nord Drum 3 Manager

"The Nord Drum 3 Manager software lets you send or receive individual Kit and Drum Banks to and from your Nord Drum 3P, making it easy to load new factory banks, backup your current banks or easily share sounds with other Nord Drum 3P users."

There's also a backup of the factory drum kit library on the Nord site in case you ever accidentally save over a kit you wanted to keep.

Downloads for Nord Drum 3P

THat nord manager software might be just what I need - thank you!
buzzingblood
anybody interested in sending me the transferred preset sound bank sounds?
CeeJay
Do you mean these?

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/product-libraries/drums/n ord-drum-3p-factory-sounds
Kingnimrod
Really stupid of Nord to get rid of the padless version. I know several people who want to trigger from their modular.

Nord could make up for this by releasing a eurorack version
dubonaire
Kingnimrod wrote:
Really stupid of Nord to get rid of the padless version. I know several people who want to trigger from their modular.

Yeah it stopped me buying one. But I bought a Nord Lead Rack instead which has turned out to be a great thing so I'm perversely grateful.
chvad
Kingnimrod wrote:

lots of 2's and 1's out there for cheap!
h4ndcrafted
How much would you pay for a Nord 2 these days ?

Also I’ve read the V3 has a noise problem with the reverb or something, anybody had problems.

Going to trigger it via midi so not worried about not having triggers.

Is the editing scaled down from the 2 , and by how much ?
KaOsphere
Just bought a Nord Drum 2 and Nord Pads a few monthes ago.
Basically they were as new, immaculate condition.

I got 'em for 500 euros which seems correct.

I found them on non-music related shopping site.
Tbh every nord drum 2 ( the most wanted one it seems) I found on classic site like reverb etc that were not fake/scam,were wayyyyyy overpriced. 800 to 1000 euros.

The V3 has this "noise" problem and it has never been corrected.

I did not try a 3p but I found the editing on the nd2 to be really intuitive, fast, and complete, no manual needed. Except the fx and some shortcuts, I'm not sure you'll have more parameters to edit on the 3P. Needs confirmation though.

The separete pads on the nd2 are really a blessing, by hand, with sticks, using the velocity really opens up drastic or subtle sounds variations which gives it a really organic feeling.
I like it so much that I got a KD roland trigger pedal and having a blast playing all my beats by hand ! I'm multitracking for now but this gave me the possibilty to learn a bit to actually play some drums.
If I need to be light, I just disconnect the pads and I have a wonderful sound module that has a microscopic footprint.

One thing that is important to notice except the trigger input is that the ND2 have more midi exposed parameters than the 3p so if you plan to heavily modulate, ND2 is a better choice...

Hope this could help a bit.
h4ndcrafted
Yes that did, ty.

I may order a v3 just for ease as it’s easily returnable here.
I’ve seen Nord 2s (no pads) going for around £300 about $300 after tax

Could you elaborate on the noise prob on the v3 at all ?
chvad
i’ve had the 2 and now the 3P. the 3P “noise” issue is only with the reverb. if it’s not in use it’s 100% non-issue. WHEN it’s on it’s noticeable by itself... less so in a mix. it’s not really been a thing that’s bothered me but more of a confusing thing. like... WHY? I’ve liked my clavia stuff but they’re def a weird company and don’t seem the most proactive when it comes to minor bugs. major stuff they’ll fix but minor ones? seems like never.
h4ndcrafted
Oh well, returning my rd 808 when it gets here probably , just ordered V3 Drum.

Between the MD and my SP16 and the Nord and iPad , I’m pretty much covered for interesting drums now.

Thanks for advice , I’m pretty Lofi and like a bit of dust on my hits , so with a gate on the hits it may be useful.
Can’t say any of the demos I’ve heard have made me think , wow that reverbs so noisy , just sounds a bit grainy to me.

Cheers for the info people thumbs up
chvad
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Can’t say any of the demos I’ve heard have made me think , wow that reverbs so noisy , just sounds a bit grainy to me.

Agreed. It doesn't bother me at all. It's a great drum source. Enjoy!
h4ndcrafted
This things too much fun , what a great drum synth!

I don’t have any reverb issue with mine so far, I guess they must of fixed it along the way ?
h4ndcrafted
Well I hope I haven’t got a bum unit, but it doesn’t seem to be responding to midi zombie

I am using global , have ableton set to send out on channel 10 , global on Nord is set to 10.
It’s recording midi from the Nord just fine but not reading it.

Checked my interface is working fine on other instruments , so it’s not that.

Am I missing something obvious ?
radialMelt
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Well I hope I haven’t got a bum unit, but it doesn’t seem to be responding to midi zombie

I am using global , have ableton set to send out on channel 10 , global on Nord is set to 10.

Are you sure you're sending the correct notes? When you're sending on the global channel it will only respond to the six notes that correspond to the pads, starting at C2 or C3 if I recall correctly (which I probably don't).
h4ndcrafted
Yes , they actually come up starting from c3 as I’m sending the midi playing live.

Looks like it’s a bad unit. I’m exchanging it.

I tried to use the Nord back up app and it didn’t connect either.
Pretty sure the units got a bad midi in.
chvad
just for shits n giggles... which midi interface are you using?
h4ndcrafted
Roland UM One
acidbob
OK, I remember also having problems with mine when I got it, right now I am trying to recall what it was... But definitely in the setup menu, something about whether it should respond to midi or trigger/pad input.
I also think you can shift the entire range of notes it responds to, and how it responds, like notes up and down on one single sound or which group of notes it will trigger without pitching up and down...

Now I have set up to respond to a range of notes without pitching, and hooked it up to my machinedrum.

I scratched my head a few times on this one.

Are you sure your midi notes are long enough?
And how is your midi setup on the ND?

Before sending it back I suggest you read the manual firmly and at the same try write Clavia an email.
If it aint broke, no need to send it back - unless there is some time limit on the return.

Just wanted to quickly chime in and tell that you are not alone on having trouble on the initial setup of the unit, but as mine is only a ND2 I am not sure the menus are the same. Maybe someone with a 3P can help you with some pictures of write down the settings for you.

Let me know once you are 100% sure about the settings, if its not working I might have time to help you out if I get your email...
h4ndcrafted
Thanks for your input , but I read the manual back to front, there really isn’t that much to know on the midi side , other than you can address the machine globally or per channel.

I’m playing the notes live , so they have to be long enough as it records midi as you play.

I’ve asked on the forum , somebody did reply saying if you have both global and channel midi numbers engaged they can conflict , but they seemed to think you would still get some sort of sound.

FWIW , I think V3 is simpler, maybe because there are no triggers in to deal with ?
As far as setup goes, I have tested different ways, but the most obvious working way would be all channels set to off and global channel set to 10.

It didn’t respond to the transfer app either, I’m pretty sure it’s a dead midi in, but sent it back for replacement , so the store will test it also.
I’ll let you know if they find anything.
hru
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Probably different Middle C (nearest the middle of any "piano"), that's Drum confusing

Midi Specs:Each note is assigned a numeric value, which is transmitted with any Note-On/Off message. Middle C has a reference value of 60. This is the middle C of an 88 note piano-style keyboard though it need not be physically located in the center of a keyboard.

Nord Drum Manual:
nt - MIDI Note: each of the six Channels can be assigned to respond to an incoming mIdI note. When the Nord drum 3P is shipped from the factory, Channels 1 to 6 are assigned to mIdI note numbers: 60, 62, 64, 65, 67 and 69.

60 = C
Transpose in Ableton +12 -12 Notes (C2 C3 C4 and so on) to find 3P Nord Drum "middle" C
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2