MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Complex Random Solutions ADDAC 500 series suggestions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author Complex Random Solutions ADDAC 500 series suggestions?
shreeswifty
Hello
From looking around i have been led here because i am hopeful my solution lies in the 500 series of complex random generation made available by the ADDAC 501, 503 or 504 modules.

I am hoping for some direct user feedback from someone who actively has one in their case? I have gone online browsed the net and played with the Java applets and it's really helpful but still does not take the place of some user feedback.

Can anyone who owns a Complex Random, Probalistic generator or Marble Physics give me some guidance? I have about 8-10Hp to fill up/spend on this and i want to choose something that will give me the indeterminacy i am looking for.

I fear the Complex Random is just a random with Brown noise, the marble physics might be to esoteric and the probalistic to much about gates so some feedback as to what you use it for would be wonderful

thank you in advance

Patrick
A.S.
I don't know the probalistic, never owned it, but the marble physics (is it 503?) and the 501 complex random both are really nice, although quite different.

it's been a while since i owned the marble physics, but it sort of reminded me of hesitation and sudden decisions when using it. like doubting for a while if you should move and then suddenly tip over. unless you introduce random cv inuts it has a sort of fixed pattern. the combination with gate input gives it more control. i should say that with 2 or 3 other modules generating cv combined, you can get the same or similar results.

the 501/501B is way more than just being a random generator or brown noise.
because of the bandwidth you can fix and then move accross, you can really set limits to your randomness and where it goes. and the cv inputs for those limits (min and max) and frequency, makes it really dynamic all over again.
the combination with the gate/glide expander is really nice and useful.
gilde obviosuly gives you the possibility for either sudden or very smooth changes and the gates generated are nice to get randomness on the trigger.

i can recommend both (501 and 503)
acgenerator
I own the Marble Physics and find it intriguing but I wouldn't say it is remotely unpredictable on it's own. You need to put a fair amount of thought into getting it random-like.

Have you looked at Non-Linear Circuit's stuff, Anything by Ian Fritz, or maybe an ERD Gamma or SIR (if you can find one second hand)?
Umcorps
shreeswifty wrote:

Can anyone who owns a Complex Random, Probalistic generator or Marble Physics give me some guidance? I have about 8-10Hp to fill up/spend on this and i want to choose something that will give me the indeterminacy i am looking for.

I fear the Complex Random is just a random with Brown noise, the marble physics might be to esoteric and the probalistic to much about gates so some feedback as to what you use it for would be wonderful

I've only had the Complex Random in my rack for a couple of days but my first impressions are that it is the most musical random generator I've had.

My main use so far is in having it generate melodic phrases which it excels at. Between modulating the voltage range settings and flipping between brownian and free strategies I'm getting all kinds of really lovely things happening.

I can't say I find the quantisation option all that useful. Its a bit too restrictive for my tastes. But, as I don't have the expander I'm using an external quantiser to generate triggers when the voltages change so I've got that covered anyway.

Still exploring how the time variable works. It's really nice for ambient drift but if you want it quantised rhythmically I think that is probably best done with an external variable clock source.

One thing I hadn't realised till it arrived is that there are separate jumpers to set the range for each of the four outputs. So you can have some outputs set to give 0 to 5v and others to give a 0 to 10v range. Useful.

Still to explore other things like clocking it at audio rates etc. Early days. But looking very promising indeed. I think its going to get a lot of use here.
wigwig
Umcorps
I'm looking at this and wondering what you think now that you've had it for a few months.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Umcorps
wigwig wrote:
Umcorps
I'm looking at this and wondering what you think now that you've had it for a few months.
Thanks

Not much new to add really. It's become my go-to source for musical random. Very happy with it.
wigwig
Great. Thanks
Paranormal Patroler
Umcorps wrote:
wigwig wrote:
Umcorps
Thanks

Not much new to add really. It's become my go-to source for musical random. Very happy with it.

This is probably my second or third post on the 501 today. hihi I'm considering going all ADDAC so I'll be frequenting this part of the forum a lot from now on. Anyway, I also agree that the 501 is the best random module available; Brownian is such a great method of random, so organic in its results, that I'm curious why it's only available on an ADDAC module. Not that I mind.

The Mix/Man options are the best thing ever, make it very easy to tame the randomness. And you can always self-patch to make things more interesting. I currently own the v1 version (gold panel, 3 outputs) but I'm considering selling it to fund a v2.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 1