MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[ORDER] p0wr, a switchable Euro power inlet/outlet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [ORDER] p0wr, a switchable Euro power inlet/outlet
av500
introducing p0wr, a switchable Eurorack power inlet/outlet.

use it to power a module outside of your rack for building, testing and debugging:



use it with a second unit to power a skiff from your main case:



switches -12V, +12V and 5V power lines, the LEDs can be jumpered for outgoing or incoming power.

two PCB set for diy builders including SMT male/female headers for board to board stacking:



complete kit with all parts:



order info in the next post
av500
ORDERING INFORMATION:

PCB + panel + SMT header + matching female header: €23 + €5 shipping

complete kit: €35 + €7 shipping

complete module: €50 + €7 shipping

(shipping as a registered letter, tracked)

to order, send me an email to vp (at) vpme (dot) de with your full shipping address, then I will reply with Paypal details.

toggle switch: MIYAMA MS-500M or the red equivalent from China/eBay/Aliexpress, see build guide for notes

WARNING: there are some RED CHINESE switches that have a very TIGHT FIT, the pins have a slightly larger size so you have to force them in - proceed at your own risk!



BOM/build guide attached. no Mouser cart, c'mon people it's 3 LEDs, 3 resistors and two shrouded headers.

(NOTE: in order to see the attached documents, you need to be logged in to muffwiggler.com)
solidstatedisaster
awesome idea!!! This fixes a lot of problems.
DJMaytag
Placeholder for ordering at least 1, depending on price.
franman69
Totally cool idea Vladimir.. Count me in for two sets of boards.. I have a small cigar box I could power with this very nicely! Cost???
av500
kudos to James Husted aka ersatzplanet for the idea to power a skiff from the main rack!
av500
franman69 wrote:
Totally cool idea Vladimir.. Count me in for two sets of boards.. I have a small cigar box I could power with this very nicely! Cost???


see above smile
latigid on
Any benefit in adding fuses, if a primary use is for powering up new builds?
av500
latigid on wrote:
Any benefit in adding fuses, if a primary use is for powering up new builds?


maybe, I don't know. after reading several threads about reverse voltage protection and fuses here on Muffs, I'm not even sure what to put.
ArguZ
So, like most people i will have no problems soldering this, but frankly, i do not know where to start sourcing parts.
I would greatly appreciate a Mouser cart.
I know most can be sourced at Ali but i kinda like Mouser and order there all the time, so this would just fit in.

And yes, i still think you could sell the kit smile
av500
ArguZ wrote:
So, like most people i will have no problems soldering this, but frankly, i do not know where to start sourcing parts.
I would greatly appreciate a Mouser cart.
I know most can be sourced at Ali but i kinda like Mouser and order there all the time, so this would just fit in.

And yes, i still think you could sell the kit smile


here is a suitable switch at Mouser: http://www2.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1003P1T1B1M2QE

Reichelt: http://www.reichelt.de/Kippschalter/MS-500M/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROU PID=7584&ARTICLE=13170&OFFSET=500&

or you get 10 for $7 from eBay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/142077946683

I am apparently not clever enough to find 5mm LEDs on Mouser, I gave up :(
acgenerator
Here is an additional potential use: A dedicated switch for vacuum tube based modules like Metasonix, Trogotronics, etc. (I think Erica synths may require special power though.)

Those puppies have a huge power suck at start up. Having a dedicated switch will allow you to fire them up separately to the pack and reduce the huge surge by having multiple such modules.

so my question is do these have a max through power?
av500
acgenerator wrote:
Here is an additional potential use: A dedicated switch for vacuum tube based modules like Metasonix, Trogotronics, etc. (I think Erica synths may require special power though.)

Those puppies have a huge power suck at start up. Having a dedicated switch will allow you to fire them up separately to the pack and reduce the huge surge by having multiple such modules.

so my question is do these have a max through power?


the MS 500M switches can do 125V/6A. I cannot tell you the exact power ratings for the PCB traces though, but I would guess powering 1-2 tube modules should be OK
av500
WARNING: there are some RED CHINESE switches that have a very TIGHT FIT, the pins have a slightly larger size so you have to force them in - proceed at your own risk!
av500
av500 wrote:
WARNING: there are some RED CHINESE switches that have a very TIGHT FIT, the pins have a slightly larger size so you have to force them in - proceed at your own risk!


I will enlarge the PCB holes for the next run....
av500
I also have a few full kits for p0wr available now, €35 + €7 shipping
av500
full kit looks like this:

telefonhoerer
Very nice,
just pin-header /jumpers on the front for current measurement i miss.

and i have not 3 eyes so i can't handle so much led's ;-)
not too amused
Err..

hmmm.....

Is this an idiot proof way for testing DIY modules?

i.e. will this stop the rest of my Eurorack from exploding to bits if I've arsed up my soldering?
av500
no, it's not idiot proof. it really only switches the power rails to the front panel, if you generate a short circuit on your DIY build, you will short circuit your power supply as well... use at your own risk
not too amused
Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group