MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kastle - pocket modular synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Kastle - pocket modular synthesizer
Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6oV6-shZpI

By Bastl instruments. http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/kastle/kastle-synth/

What you all think?
blungo2
i think i need one!
sgnelson
This might not be for me, but I like the idea, the size, and I really like Bastl's ideas, so I hope they do well. The fact that it's open source and you can re-program the ATtiny85 chips makes it even cooler.

And now I'm wondering if you can hack a korg monotron to work with it, that'd be pretty sweet pocketable combo, along with some teenage engineering operators.

And it is !! (okay, 73.48 at current exchange rate, but close enough.)
mmagin
I worry a bit about the durability of these things using .1" headers for connections, but aside from that, awesome.
IR
sgnelson wrote:
And now I'm wondering if you can hack a korg monotron to work with it, that'd be pretty sweet pocketable combo, along with some teenage engineering operators.

You don't even need to hack, it doesn't have a filter so connect it after the output.
Infinity Curve
blungo2 wrote:
i think i need one!

Haha, ya I just ordered one. Looks neat, and I'm often a sucker for these little self contained dealies, especially when they are so cheap

Might even keep it at work, office desk drones ftw Miley Cyrus
Arcana
I didn't get a good sense of the sound from the demos, which were pretty noise oriented. Would be great to hear more melodic demos too.

I do like the idea that you can learn modular synthesis on the fly for $75!
h4ndcrafted
I like it, will replace my car stereo nicely
ludotex
Ordered one. Looks fun.

Oh yeah paired with monotron delay Rockin' Banana!

I am sure my young kids are gonna love it too!
h4ndcrafted
Pair it one of these, just bought it for 15 squids and it goes really loud without distorting, and it's only 8cm wide.

Got 1/8 jack input USB recharble
solaris
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Pair it one of these, just bought it for 15 squids and it goes really loud without distorting, and it's only 8cm wide.

link pls? takk
3lbFlax
solaris wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

link pls? takk

I think it's one of these:

http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+GO.html?dwvar_JBL%20GO_color =Black#start=1
solaris
3lbFlax: thanks
smetak
Nifty!

But the "battery only" option really kills it for me - hate having to buy batteries.
smetak
Nifty!

But the "battery only" option really kills it for me - hate having to buy batteries.
chrisryan15
oh man so small... $75 isn't so bad though
noisejockey
smetak, FWIW I've switched all my batteries to Sanyo Eneloops (AA and AAA) and iPower 9V rechargeables, and they all are absolutely best-of-breed when it comes to rechargeables. These models all hold charge on the shelf quite well and work perfectly in the devices I use them in (Ciat Lonbarde synths, Grendel Drone Commander, Monotrons, Mini Kaoss Pad, etc.).

I'm not one for chiptune or 8-bit everything, but the Kastle has some sort of crackle and pop and funk that's musical to my ears, a very pleasing gritty texture. Definitely considering one. Plus: Rungler! thumbs up
Infinity Curve
Ya, I'm thinking this will be fun in a pedal chain. Plus the random being based on the rungler, sign me up. With the clock inputs I can sync this to a game boy running nanoloop for even more pocket fun. Seems like a fun little box, and for less than $100 shipped, can't really go wrong.
Herr Rausch
I personally wouldnt buy it, but I like how Bastl always comes up with weird experimental stuff. that kinda creativity is needed SlayerBadger!
calaveras
I like the look of the front panel.
I wish their euro modules came with panels like that.
budinis
a little pre-review on sonic talk at min 21:00:

kragg
I really like these guys.
They put the fun back in music ! It's peanut butter jelly time!

But i must be dumb or a bit dense : can we control it using regular cv/gate (or best, cv/hz) ?
I understand we can sync it, trigger, it, but i have the impression all the melodies are made using the internal lfo help
monads
kragg wrote:
But i must be dumb or a bit dense : can we control it using regular cv/gate (or best, cv/hz)

This is what I was wondering. Looks like a kool little box, but I would've wanted at least an 8mm jack for 1v/CV pitch control hmmm.....
kragg
Thank you Monads, you make me feel less alone Mr. Green

From Fact mag :
Quote:
those with a larger modular system can connect the Kastle via two I/O CV outputs at the rear of the device.
oops
Sharktootth
Probably getting this. Actually, I know I am. I was just saying to people how underrated phase distortion synthesis is. If I left the house I would look for old Casio CZ synths but I don't and this is close enough.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3