MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dual Comparator manual wiring
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Dual Comparator manual wiring
househead
Hi Tony

Quick question... where do the gate, out1 & out2 nc lugs connect to ?

Thanks Tim Nottingham

e-grad
househead wrote:
where do the gate, out1 & out2 nc lugs connect to ?

NC = not connected.
househead
Thanks e-grad, got the module working just can't get the gate input to work so thought I was missing the gate nc.... Thanks for clarifying it's not connected.
Synthbuilder
Technically speaking NC is 'normally closed' when referring to jack sockets. That is, the NC lug is normally in contact with the input lug when no jack is inserted. As it happens the NC lugs of the gate input and both output sockets are indeed 'not connected'.

But if the gate isn't working it may be worth checking that the NC lug of socket IN1A is connected to pin 1 of the UPPER header. That carries the RAMP signal, which is fired by the gate input, to the comparator IN1A input when no jack plug is inserted in IN1A.

The RAMP signal is low (-5V or so) when the gate is low (0V) and then slowly moves to +5V when the gate is high (+5V).

Tony
e-grad
Synthbuilder wrote:
Technically speaking NC is 'normally closed' when referring to jack sockets.

Sorry, since the switch of the jack is "not connectet" on the schematics, and since NC is to my best knowledge a common abbrevation for "not connectet" I came up with my above interpretation.
Synthbuilder
e-grad wrote:
Sorry, since the switch of the jack is "not connectet" on the schematics, and since NC is to my best knowledge a common abbrevation for "not connectet" I came up with my above interpretation.

Quite understandable. It had me confused when I first got into electronics when I was a kid. On pin outs for ICs, transformers and valves/tubes you'd often see NC meaning 'not connected'. Yet, on relays, switches and sockets you'd also see NC which was often accompanied by NO. NC in those cases meaning 'normally closed', and NO meaning 'normally open'.

I think it was playing with relays that it finally dawned on me what was meant by the confusing nomenclature.

Tony
househead
Thanks for the reply's fellows, ive got to the bottom of things.... My modules fully working, i had the pots at the 12 o'clock position so didn't see the gate signal happening ....

Is there a way to change the pot response to be more focused on shorter delays ?? at the moment to get accurate short gate delays is hard due to the pot response cramming short delay times right at the beginning of the pots movement...

Great module btw...a dark horse in the oakley modular arsenal!!!....
Synthbuilder
househead wrote:
Is there a way to change the pot response to be more focused on shorter delays ??

It is already biased towards giving more control over the shorter delays but I appreciate it will not be that accurate if you are looking for sub 100mS delays.

It may then be helpful for you to reduce the maximum delay time available from the unit. Try replacing C8 with a 100nF polyester capacitor and see how that works. Your maximum delay will probably be in the order of 0.5 second, but it should give you more control at the faster end.

The ramp generator on the comparator module is a pretty crude affair, it is simply a capacitor, C8, that is charged at a fixed rate via R23 when a gate is applied. You could do this more accurately with an external envelope or ramp generator such as an ADSR or VRG in AR mode. Patch the comparator's INA to the output of the EG and set the release time to zero and sustain level for the ADSR to 100%. The attack time, and the comparator's level pots, together will give you your desired delay time.

Tony
househead
Synthbuilder wrote:
househead wrote:
Is there a way to change the pot response to be more focused on shorter delays ??

It is already biased towards giving more control over the shorter delays but I appreciate it will not be that accurate if you are looking for sub 100mS delays.

It may then be helpful for you to reduce the maximum delay time available from the unit. Try replacing C8 with a 100nF polyester capacitor and see how that works. Your maximum delay will probably be in the order of 0.5 second, but it should give you more control at the faster end.

The ramp generator on the comparator module is a pretty crude affair, it is simply a capacitor, C8, that is charged at a fixed rate via R23 when a gate is applied. You could do this more accurately with an external envelope or ramp generator such as an ADSR or VRG in AR mode. Patch the comparator's INA to the output of the EG and set the release time to zero and sustain level for the ADSR to 100%. The attack time, and the comparator's level pots, together will give you your desired delay time.

Tony

Thanks Tony, Interesting i'll try changing the capacitor and report back to you on the results ; )... great module !!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1