MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

recent outbreak of great techno
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author recent outbreak of great techno
PhineasFreak
there seems to be a climax of really good techno recently - as good as i can remember having heard as long as i've been listening, and i think i need to share some of my faveourites:

ok, i grant you that last one is garage but its just so fresh sounding i had to include it
dubonaire
It's like one big cycle now. I was playing a lot of stuff like this around the 2000 - 2001 period. The Perc & Truss record is classic early Kompakt sound.
ignatius
that jack master (richie hawtin) Bang the Box track came out in the 90s i think. or some version of it that is more or less the same.

otherwise.. yes.. there's lot's of killer techno always coming out.. i think it's a genre that has stayed consistent really.. there's always a techno record or two in the bins worth buying if you're into techno.

edit:

yeah.. 1993.. i have it one some mix tapes from back then that i love smile

i expect to start hearing this type of stuff again.. techno but trance but acid. gets pretty lifted towards the last 3rd.

dubonaire
ignatius wrote:
Jack Master

Yeah Slam have started a sublabel called Soma Track Series which is basically their old Chicago warehouse bomb sound.

ignatius wrote:

i expect to start hearing this type of stuff again.. techno but trance but acid. gets pretty lifted towards the last 3rd.

Still well and truly alive under the Hard Trance or Hard Style labels. I don't think it ever went away.
Montgomery Word
damn.
those are some bangin tracks.
here's some that aren't new.

lasesentaysiete
those tracks aren't exactly the "latest releases". Personal favourite techno label right now is MORD. Solid and dependable. Perc Trax is hit or miss, but the latest AnD release is killer:
dubonaire
lasesentaysiete wrote:
those tracks aren't exactly the "latest releases". Personal favourite techno label right now is MORD. Solid and dependable. Perc Trax is hit or miss, but the latest AnD release is killer:

Yeah I like the stuff coming out on Mord. Not a big fan of that AnD track though it's up in the gabba BPMs.
lasesentaysiete
dubonaire wrote:
Not a big fan of that AnD track though it's up in the gabba BPMs.

hihi that's exactly why I like it.
PhineasFreak
oh wow - that paul birken - diabolic is absolute evil nanners
oootini
philus track Guinness ftw!

here's another that could be its brother:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJ77odOhPI
dubonaire
lasesentaysiete wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Not a big fan of that AnD track though it's up in the gabba BPMs.

hihi that's exactly why I like it.

SlayerBadger!
dubonaire
Another label I'm liking is Ilian Tape
buzzlegs
this one is amazing -

idontknow
Damn I really can't understand all the fuzz about this bjarki track..
Imo it's a really bad strongkick/funvocal mdma banger.
I mean I love techno, and i'm making some myself, but reading in traxmag that this guy is the new aphex twin makes me sick,
the same kind of sickness I catch when I hear his tracks.
I just can't wait for techno to be forgotten by everyone, maybe then we won't have to listen to all this Трип and co shit.
Yeah I might sound like a purist or something, I'm really not. I just like quality music.
lasesentaysiete
idontknow wrote:
we won't have to listen to all this Трип and co shit.

basically agree, but trp001 did have this on it smile
[/quote]
dubonaire
lasesentaysiete wrote:
idontknow wrote:

[/quote]

That's a very cool track!

Hey even Moodymann is playing I wanna go bang wink
dubonaire
Anyway as I was saying one big cycle

idontknow
lasesentaysiete wrote:
idontknow wrote:

[/quote]
Haha yeah that's right, big fan of parrish smith over here wink
They even had an afx track heh.
Anyway I'm not trying to spit on ppl who listen to bjarki or Трип, hell, I listened to much worse when I started to have interest in techno.. It's just that ""now"" that it's much more easy to make "techno" tracks, more ppl get interested in doing that, and as a result, there's more and more crap going out on vinyl (Yeah it is bound to happen to every kind of music, just check out punk music in the 80's..). It's not saying that everything is shit, and I truly think that we are living a really exciting time for electronic music, but this label (and there's way, way, way worse, it's just a well known example) is symptomatic of the now common hype phenomena, making it more a social exercise than finding how to have fun making music. Well maybe I'm wrong, maybe they are having fun doing this, but tbh I can't imagine how.
Sorry if I sound aggressive, I won't be offtopic anymore, the truth is that it makes me sad :(
PhineasFreak
for those feeling more positive and dont mind too much if the music isnt the latest or is too popular:

terrymccann

There's definitely some good output lately

Surgeon (obviously)
Blawan, and his Bored Young Adults project
The new Planetary Assault Systems album is good
Anything on TTT
Levon Vincent and Marcel Dettmann's recent collab (video below)
Shifted
Mosca's done some amazing stuff (White Mice) and his radio show on NTS is solid
Barnt and Lena Willikens for oddball stuff
Whities label has some great releases
Innervisions for more fanciful stuff, Dixon is an excellent DJ
Sotofett's recent Pitchfork diss was firing techno, all his stuff is good - amazing DJ also
Traversable Wormhole
Mike Parker

I could go on forever

dubonaire
idontknow wrote:

They even had an afx track heh.
Anyway I'm not trying to spit on ppl who listen to bjarki or Трип, hell, I listened to much worse when I started to have interest in techno.. It's just that ""now"" that it's much more easy to make "techno" tracks, more ppl get interested in doing that, and as a result, there's more and more crap going out on vinyl (Yeah it is bound to happen to every kind of music, just check out punk music in the 80's..). It's not saying that everything is shit, and I truly think that we are living a really exciting time for electronic music, but this label (and there's way, way, way worse, it's just a well known example) is symptomatic of the now common hype phenomena, making it more a social exercise than finding how to have fun making music. Well maybe I'm wrong, maybe they are having fun doing this, but tbh I can't imagine how.
Sorry if I sound aggressive, I won't be offtopic anymore, the truth is that it makes me sad :(

No man it's a valid point and it's on topic. I don't know if we'll ever go back to that time when it was an underground subculture full of adventure and discovery, which is exactly what Трип is faking. But it must be pretty difficult to rise above the flotsam of so many DJs now, and push through the cartel floating around at the top.

Where I live I'm very much out of scene living in south east asa and I'm not much more than distant observer doing my own thing, but I did watch a Nina Kravitz set recently and at least she seemed to be working hard and taking risks behind the decks, a lot of DJ's I see are almost on autopilot.
dubonaire
terrymccann wrote:
Sotofett's recent Pitchfork diss was firing techno

Especially the 'B' side. That's a perfect tune to throw into a set.
ignatius
there's tons of techy stuff that's consistent.

i agree it never went away.

check out stroboscopic artifacts. less "bangers" more tech. but there's a lot out there. berlin has just kept blossoming.

http://stroboscopicartefacts.com
dubonaire
ignatius wrote:
there's tons of techy stuff that's consistent.

i agree it never went away.

check out stroboscopic artifacts. less "bangers" more tech. but there's a lot out there. berlin has just kept blossoming.

http://stroboscopicartefacts.com

yeah cool label. very much on the dark tip like Blackest Ever Black
andrewF
Worth keeping an ear out for Paula Temple too

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9