MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Socket board interconnect cable
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Socket board interconnect cable
mmeixner
So, maybe this is a rather dumb question, but I want to make sure ...

I soldered the headers following the silk screen (and on the correct side of the SOCK board hihi )

Now building the interconnects for my multimix - do I connect the same places in both connectors, or is it the other way round? Please have a look here: is this right or wrong?

tvh
The way you have it shown is the incorrect way. I did this too with my first VCO and wondered why it was acting strangely hihi You want the wires in the same place on each connector.

This is how I do it since I tend to zone out when wiring...What I do is make a tiny mark with a sharpie on the same side of each female connector , then as I connect the wires I start at the mark and move the other direction. wire 1 to hole 1 on each, wire 2 to hole 2 on each, wire 3 to hole 3 on each, etc.
mmeixner
tvh wrote:
The way you have it shown is the incorrect way.

Aha, I suspected this - thanks! (love this forum grin )

Quote:

I did this too with my first VCO and wondered why it was acting strangely hihi You want the wires in the same place on each connector.

Wire 1 to hole 1 on each, wire 2 to hole 2 on each, wire 3 to hole 3 on each, etc.

So, just for my, and potentially other's education: it's established practice do build cables like this unless stated otherwise? (for audio cables it sure is ...)
tvh
Forgot to add, facing them both one direction may help visualize wiring. These are wired the same, for example:

mmeixner wrote:

So, just for my, and potentially other's education: it's established practice do build cables like this unless stated otherwise? (for audio cables it sure is ...)

This is how I've wired all my Oakley modules so far, I'm on number 22 (and counting... Guinness ftw! ). Once you do a few of these modules the connections are all pretty similar, which is nice.

Hmm...After looking through the multimix builder's guide, it doesn't say which pin goes to which pin, like it does in the VCO Builders guide, for example.

Perhaps Tony could add "which wire to which pin" info to the next version of the General Construction Guide in the Interconnect section, as this was a major source of confusion for me, also.
mmeixner
tvh wrote:
Forgot to add, facing them both one direction may help visualize wiring. These are wired the same, for example:

This is how I've wired all my Oakley modules so far, I'm on number 22 (and counting... Guinness ftw! ). Once you do a few of these modules the connections are all pretty similar, which is nice.

Hmm...After looking through the multimix builder's guide, it doesn't say which pin goes to which pin, like it does in the VCO Builders guide, for example.

Perhaps Tony could add "which wire to which pin" info to the next version of the General Construction Guide in the Interconnect section, as this was a major source of confusion for me, also.

Thanks for clearing this up, again!
I'm building an "Oakley Tool Box" to complement my Hordijk, for now I have two Multimix, two VRG and a QuadVCA here waiting to be finished, so to answer that question for the first module helped Guinness ftw!
Synthbuilder
tvh wrote:

Yes I will do this.

It is good engineering practice to make pin 1 to pin 1 on all board interconnects and cables. To do otherwise would be very confusing. Although reversed wiring does happen on some types of cables, SCART sockets have partial reversed connection, but it is rare.

That said, I have had this question asked twice of me in the last month, although I cannot remember it being asked prior to this. I think it maybe part of the confusion is because the headers on the socket board are mounted on the rear of the board and not the top. This effectively reverses the pin out. However, the socket boards have been laid out with a mirrored legend and thus the pin 1 to pin 1 rule is maintained.

Tony
mmeixner
Synthbuilder wrote:

It is good engineering practice to make pin 1 to pin 1 on all board interconnects and cables. To do otherwise would be very confusing. Although reversed wiring does happen on some types of cables, SCART sockets have partial reversed connection, but it is rare.

Yes, I thought so, somehow - thanks for making this clear!
Leverkusen
Uh, bummer! I remember having a hard time looking the right way up from the photographies of my first module in the manual. And I was quite relieved when it was right then...meanwhile I even enjoy crimping the cables with those tiny little things I can barely see... hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1