MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyend's Perc Pro - physical drumming machine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Polyend's Perc Pro - physical drumming machine
nangu
I've been having a lot of fun with Polyend's Perc Pro. It converts 3 notes of MIDI (or 3 trigs and velocity CVs) into physical striking actions. It was mostly meant for use with drum kits, but I've been using it on all kinds of crazy found objects.

Took it for a spin in a friend's garage last night. We made a cool beat using a glass bottle, an aluminum bottle, and a Rubbermaid 'Brute' trash can:

Here's a little loop done with the lid from a Weber grill:
rowsbywoof
Well, now that's pretty cool. smile
namshub
Yeah fantastic...
parasitk
Ahh that's great. This has been on my watch list for a while now.
tito_tunes
I bet you could make a nice sounding clap with an altoids tin full of shot.
blooper
Thanks for posting demos, looks awesome. I'm just imagining the possibilities.
nangu
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I'll be posting more stuff soon. I was hoping to make some progress on this last night, but weather here has been extremely windy. Quality microphones would have picked up too much outside noise.

tito_tunes wrote:
I bet you could make a nice sounding clap with an altoids tin full of shot.

Great idea! I totally ran with it. Built a wooden armature, attached an Altoids tin (suspended by far too many rubber bands). It sounds killer. Video soon..
IR
Very cool.

Also check this out:
ambrohski
applause really cool, and nice videos too
nangu
20% off (today only) with coupon code #blackfriday

Here's the 'Altoids tin' clap setup. It's actually a Penguins tin, so it's caffeinated. hyper
Video soon...

PrimateSynthesis
nangu wrote:
I've been having a lot of fun with Polyend's Perc Pro. It converts 3 notes of MIDI (or 3 trigs and velocity CVs) into physical striking actions. It was mostly meant for use with drum kits, but I've been using it on all kinds of crazy found objects.

Your video looks like it could be something fun and useful, but that website is annoying as hell angry
rowsbywoof
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
nangu wrote:

Your video looks like it could be something fun and useful, but that website is annoying as hell angry

Their website is painful on a mobile device, too... iPad doesn't like it AT ALL. I really would love to get a set of these some day. I can think of so many awesome practical uses for them with Live running the show, but even at 20% off they're a little spendy for me, especially since I'd want to buy a bunch of other little things to bash with them... and stands to hold things to be bashed with them... and mics to record me bashing things with them at all sorts of different configurations!

Still really... really... loving these.
rowsbywoof
You guys have seen this too, right:

New beaters coming... I'd kind of want one of each. Snares with wood sound great, liking the silicon more on the bass in that video, and when it comes to metallic surfaces... DAMN... This could get pricey. wink
meatbeatz
hey nangu do you have the issues described in the video below?

nangu
meatbeatz wrote:

The fan in the base unit is pretty noisy. The cables on my beaters are almost 9 feet long- enough that I've been able to get the base unit out of the room, or at least behind a wooden bookshelf, etc. Even so, I've been thinking about trying to find some extension cables for it. The connectors look just like a locking XLR, but with 5 pins instead of 3. I've been meaning to ask Piotr at Polyend about where to get those connectors or extension cables, but haven't actually gotten around to it yet.

I haven't used mine on a real drum kit yet, but it stands to reason that a short-throw solenoid isn't going to have as much power available as a human arm. I suspect that the guy in the video has his set up wrong, though. Setting the optimal distance between the beater and your impact surface can be a bit fidgety- I made my wooden contraption so that would be a lot less fidgety to set up.

The beaters respond to gate length, not just triggers. So if the guy in the video had his beater set up slightly too close to the drum head and was using really long gates, the beater may have been holding open long enough to mute the drum head after the strike.

Depending on the surface, the beaters can be plenty loud. The blue bottle in my first video was outrageously, painfully loud at first- then I backed the beater off far enough that it's barely making any contact at all. I'm surprised I didn't break the bottle with my first attempt.

Even my Altoids tin rig is bloody loud. I'll be wearing ear protection while using it.
meatbeatz
thanks!

nangu wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:

The fan in the base unit is pretty noisy. The cables on my beaters are almost 9 feet long- enough that I've been able to get the base unit out of the room, or at least behind a wooden bookshelf, etc. Even so, I've been thinking about trying to find some extension cables for it. The connectors look just like a locking XLR, but with 5 pins instead of 3. I've been meaning to ask Piotr at Polyend about where to get those connectors or extension cables, but haven't actually gotten around to it yet.

I haven't used mine on a real drum kit yet, but it stands to reason that a short-throw solenoid isn't going to have as much power available as a human arm. I suspect that the guy in the video has his set up wrong, though. Setting the optimal distance between the beater and your impact surface can be a bit fidgety- I made my wooden contraption so that would be a lot less fidgety to set up.

The beaters respond to gate length, not just triggers. So if the guy in the video had his beater set up slightly too close to the drum head and was using really long gates, the beater may have been holding open long enough to mute the drum head after the strike.

Depending on the surface, the beaters can be plenty loud. The blue bottle in my first video was outrageously, painfully loud at first- then I backed the beater off far enough that it's barely making any contact at all. I'm surprised I didn't break the bottle with my first attempt.

Even my Altoids tin rig is bloody loud. I'll be wearing ear protection while using it.
PrimateSynthesis
nangu wrote:

Numerous vendors sell five-pin XLR cables that are used for stereo microphones and lighting control. Although mic cables are designed for noise rejection not carrying power. Since the power supply has a fan, and these cables are driving solenoids, then larger gauge conductors which have less resistance might be better, and shielding would be unnecessary.

(Although I'm thinking they could have used a power supply that doesn't have a fan.)
nangu
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Numerous vendors sell five-pin XLR cables that are used for stereo microphones and lighting control. Although mic cables are designed for noise rejection not carrying power.

Cool- thanks! I kinda figured they'd be something that's commonly available. If Polyend had purposefully tried to make something proprietary, then it probably wouldn't look so much like XLR.

Once I find the connectors, I can make cables with whatever gauge wire I want. Maybe cannibalize some AC extension cords if I'm feeling silly? I'd imagine that only two of the pins are live- Polyend probably just used 5-pin connectors to keep us from accidentally plugging Perc into our mixers and whatnot..
BOOM!

I'll ask Piotr about it the next time I shoot him an email.
subbasshead

First jam today... need to get better stands, the positioning is crucial!
nangu
That's awesome!

I need to find a nice 55-gallon drum somewhere. So far, the biggest pieces of metal that I've been able to scavenge are an aluminum reflector from a propane-powered patio heater (basically the world's crappiest-sounding 4-foot gong) and an adjustable mounting pole for the backboard of a basketball hoop.
joskery
Wow, epic thread! Can't wait to see where this is going.
tito_tunes
nangu wrote:
Here's the 'Altoids tin' clap setup. It's actually a Penguins tin, so it's caffeinated. hyper
Video soon...

Wow you really did run with it!!! I can wait to hear some sounds.
nangu
I shot a video, but it isn't very good. Terrible lighting, out of focus, sound level recorded too low, sequence is kind of silly, etc..

Perhaps it's slightly better than nothing- I said there would be video soon, so here it is:

I set it to 'unlisted' mode- I'll shoot something much better in awhile and post that publicly instead.
tito_tunes
Wow that sounds even better than I imagined! Kind of like a 909 snare.
youwe9
Hi, I have the problem, that the newly bought Perc beats not only on Midi Note on, but also on Midi Note off. It´s the same with DAW and Midiinterface or the Hardwaresequencer (Cirklon) Midi Out...

Any idea someone?
Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1