MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Roli Blocks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Roli Blocks
scottmoon
New controllers from Roli

https://roli.com/products/blocks
eBerkhout
I really want to try these
djthopa
Interesting or.... Just hype hmmm.....
thelizard
Specs are here:
https://global.store.roli.com/products/lightpad-block#product-specific ations3

Here's all I cared about:
"Yes. The Lightpad Block can be used with desktop apps including Equator, GarageBand, Logic, Max, and more – any app that supports multidimensional polyphonic expression (MPE)."

That is huge.
eBerkhout
thelizard wrote:
Specs are here:
https://global.store.roli.com/products/lightpad-block#product-specific ations3

Here's all I cared about:
"Yes. The Lightpad Block can be used with desktop apps including Equator, GarageBand, Logic, Max, and more – any app that supports multidimensional polyphonic expression (MPE)."

That is huge.

Yep, exactly. Only really interested in using it with Max, but I'll head in to the Apple Store on Regent St to give it a go before buying.
kwil
Bluetooth connectivity as well, be interesting to see how well it works with iOS. Why do I feel a bit screwed on pricing, £169 vs $179 dollars for a product by a UK company.
djthopa
It seems it can send midi over the midi usb type c cable.

Wondering if i could play chords / arp of other apps... That could be a killer
eBerkhout
kwil wrote:
Bluetooth connectivity as well, be interesting to see how well it works with iOS. Why do I feel a bit screwed on pricing, £169 vs $179 dollars for a product by a UK company.

VAT, maybe? IIRC Roli got a whole lot of funding recently, so maybe it was a US company and they're putting more effort into the US market. Basically all of the artists endorsing it on the site are from North America.
kwil
Manual.

https://support.roli.com/article-category/lightpad-block/
kwil
eBerkhout wrote:
kwil wrote:

VAT, maybe? IIRC Roli got a whole lot of funding recently, so maybe it was a US company and they're putting more effort into the US market. Basically all of the artists endorsing it on the site are from North America.

I thought that as well, maybe that's right.
scottmoon
Looks like my iPad Air isn't supported, or my old iPhone 4s.

lamouette/rck
Only Apple... next
Leverkusen
First I thought it's an iPhone app for people without an iPhone but now it seems to be a touchdisplay for an iPhone? Finally at last!

hmmm.....
hamildad
kwil wrote:

I watched the presentation and when I heard it was $179 dollars, I mentally thought, "oh, about £100ish, that's just low enough to be a impulse present to myself"

Welcome to Brexit Britain MY ASS IS BLEEDING

They focussed on the IOS integration in the presentation, but knowing this will work on desktop apps & do standard midi, makes this interesting as a MAX/MSP interface and for providing a small touchpad for drumming/rhythm, as I never like rhythm programming on keys.
modulargrey
There seems to be no overdub? confused

Also there seems to be a bug where sometimes after recording a loop on first playback the expressions do not sound right, it fixes on second loop.
thelizard
JUCE Blocks SDK update is available. Of interest is this enum:
https://github.com/julianstorer/JUCE/blob/master/modules/juce_blocks_b asics/blocks/juce_Block.h#L61

enum Type
{
unknown = 0,
lightPadBlock,
liveBlock,
loopBlock,
developerControlBlock,
seaboardBlock,
rotaryDialBlock
};
ignacio
They look gimmicky, to be honest. And when it's all said and done, you'll have spent over 1K, easily.
dkcg
Because the Reactable and those music cubes did so well...

Should last decades, as long as you never get a new phone or upgrade your OS.
obviousless
ignacio wrote:
They look gimmicky, to be honest. And when it's all said and done, you'll have spent over 1K, easily.

I think you can only link two lightpad blocks with the two controllers. So a bit under a grand. :-) At least that is what I have read. The controller blocks seem kind of pointless, unless you don't have an iPad, because they just duplicate on screen controls.
obviousless
So, with two lightpads it is about $400. I am happy to see the sdk on githib as well. Juce, which is so widely used to create multiplatform VSTs, is a welcome environment to see being used in the SDK.
exper
Too bad it doesn't have decent cv outs. A pair of those could've been a nice pseudo Buchla 223e alternative.
auxren
Oh man... kinda pushes me more to make a module that acts as a BLE MIDI host with CV outs.
hamildad
things that make me excited about this:

Roli's links with Cycling74 meaning we will see a blocks package for Max/MSP.

using this as a controller via a FH-1( or any USB host>CV module) into modular.

Aggregating with a Seaboard rise.

being available in Apple stores means even as an impulse purchase, it'll reach far more people than the slutz/wiggler community. more sales = more integration with other apps = better longevity for the product.

things that dont make me excited:

iphone 6 and up really?

No Android, automatically bring the trolls to the yard.

We're doing well with our Kaos Pads thank you very much.

if it dies, it'll get no support, if it does really well, they will release Blocks2 and make it obsolete. (see Push for details)

well, I'm more excited about this with all its faults than Korgs Monologue announcement which is just adding another monosynth to a saturated market.
o0
Ok, this was my election impulse buy, and I have to say that the tactile feel of the surface is great. screens, korg pads and others don't even come close. There's a bit of a texture to it, it's thick enough to give a little bit when hitting it, and i can easily feel how much pressure I'm using, vs a phone where I feel my finger is getting squished.

The build quality is good, feels solid and plays like an instrument. Closest feel is the pads on my QuNexus. App is still very limited, but that's a 1.0

I bought it in the hope to use it as a sketchy ad while travelling and part of my setup the rest of the time.
Paranormal Patroler
The idea of an FH-1 with this is quite good. 8 CV outputs. If this is can sense more than one finger at a time ... we've got a winner
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3