MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SD card playback
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author SD card playback
Axiom Crux
I can not seem to get the SD audio playback to work. I have checked all of the information I could find for a few days, as it was a bit part of the reason I got the module. I am generally savy (I make modules macroMachines.net) and have made the text file and 16 bit waves as detailed in the documentation, FAT32 SD.

the first time I tried it, I realized afterward I had put a few 24 bit files in the list. Only the 24 bit files would play white noise and everything else was silent. I have tried different playlists, different files, different SD cards, using the old method of sample00.wav.. and everything I can think of to troubleshoot and I do not appear to get any sound out. I have tried input triggers and gates and other CV, and the various playback modes, and different options in the playlist.txt file. nothing seems to come out of A&B and no lights on the jacks.

I was able to update the firmware (I think, a bit hard to tell with the leds flashing so fast in binary) so I believe the SD card and port work to some degree. and the other modes that do not involve the SD card seem to work just fine.

could this possibly be a faulty SD part or certain pins in the micro? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot further? I had been curious about the disting before, but when I saw that it does SD playback the new firmware, it was the deciding factor in purchasing.

I think it would be nice if you were to have a download of a zip file including a small, tested, certified working group of samples and playlists for midi and audio that utilize all the possible features (stereo, mono, looping, pitch etc...), to allow people to immediately test the features, and certainly in my current status it would be helpful to see if the hardware and card works and narrow it down to potential file issues.
os
I've added this to the website.

Linked from the manual - direct download here:
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/content/disting_sd_content.zip
Axiom Crux
I think I figured it out, and It appears to be working. I put your files on there and the jacks are blinking!

I went into disk utility, and erased the SD card from its root, usually the drives have a root and a partition, and I would format from the 1 partition. this time I used this setting:

master boot record

which removed the partition and made the drive itself formatted (I think)

os wrote:

Picture filePicture file
Axiom Crux
HAPPY DAY!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMY5MbLAZ-v/
os
w00t
Axiom Crux
I believe there is a limitation on file naming that you may want to link in the manual. I had a few files that had long names and those were stopping things from working as well.
From Wikipedia(couldn't find a simple doc outlining the limitations of naming):
Quote:

Long file names[edit]
One of the user experience goals for the designers of Windows 95 was the ability to use long filenames (LFNs—up to 255 UCS-2 code units long), in addition to classic 8.3 filenames (SFNs). For backward and forward compatibility LFNs were implemented as an optional extension on top of the existing FAT file system structures using a workaround in the way directory entries are laid out.

This transparent method to store long file names in the existing FAT file systems without altering their data structures is usually known as VFAT (for "Virtual FAT") after the Windows 95 virtual device driver.[nb 1]

Non VFAT-enabled operating systems can still access the files under their short file name alias without restrictions, however, the associated long file names may get lost, when files with long file names are copied under non VFAT-aware operating systems.

In Windows NT, support for VFAT long filenames started from version 3.5.
os
Long file names definitely work. If you have long file names that are not working, there must be something specific about those names.

Perhaps they're using extended Unicode characters? That might cause a problem.
globalwm
os wrote:

Hi, just got my Disting Mk4 (Rubadub edition) and I want to try the SD card option. Does anyone have links to share more "Disting-ready" SD card files?

I also saw this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165087&highlight=

Also, how do I tell what firmware version my Disting is?
os
It shows the firmware version on the display when it boots up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1