MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lighting your rig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Lighting your rig
Flareless
When I had my second 44U cabinet built as a top for my setup I also had a valance added with the intention of installing some type of lighting. The room in which I use my modular is lit quite well, however the front of my system is still quite dark at night. My overhead lights also cast shadows of me when I stand in front of the rig so I figure that adding appropriate lighting specifically for the system would be helpful.

Just wondering what others are using....

ersatzplanet
I am a fan of indirect lighting for it's diffused effect on shadows. I would go to Ikea and get some of the halogen lights they sell for under shelf and cabinet lighting. I would lay them on top of the cabinet, aiming at the ceiling right above. Some of the models are dimmable and all are small. With the ceiling as close as it looks in the photo, this should light up the whole room.
josaka
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MPOSG0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encod ing=UTF8&colid=DT23HQITJ4VT&coliid=I3975K0P8AUO44&psc=1

or bit longer arm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALBA-Archi-BC-Architect-Desk/dp/B0016IR7G0/re f=pd_sim_201_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KP1EQR220SE7VKNV6TZ1
GGW
You mention that you have a valance. I'm not seeing it, but for something like that I'm really liking the LED tape system I've put under my kitchen cabinets. They come in different spacings for varied illumination levels. They are now at home centers, but I happened to get them here in Canada at Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,70322&p=70323
Astrolabe23
I prefer LED lighting. Halogens get really hot. I also have never had good luck with dim-able lighting in the studio. Always had some kind of distracting noise either emanating from the actual lights or as line noise through my system.
Zodanga
I went to the local home improvement store, bought a five-foot-long shelf, popped that on top of my cabinet's top tier, then grabbed some cheapie half-inch LED lighting ribbon from Amazon. Cut the ribbon to length... put it along the underside of the front edge of the protruding shelf... was done in ten minutes for fairly cheap. The bottom two rows of my cabinet angle forward so the only shadows are on the top two rows, but the long ribbon of so many LEDs diffuses that a bit.

In my experience the self-stick on LED tape is worthless. I bought some 3M foam double-sided tape and it works great. One thing I need to do is cut a 2" "lip" to put along the front so that the LEDs aren't quite so directly visible. I might even be able to work that into some kind of reflector.

The LEDs I bought come with a remote that lets you change color. So when I'm not using the modular, I put it to deep blue or red and it looks great. When I'm using it, I need to set it to white or yellow to be able to read the panel labeling. Colored LED ribbons set to "white" don't have the same color purity of incandescent bulbs though.

It may not be the best solution, but I didn't put a lot of time or money into it either.
Flareless
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Sorry, but I misused the word valance when I meant crown. I got the idea from the QCC Crown from synthesizers.com

I don't have the room on the surface of the table for lamps or lights of any kind. It's covered with effects pedals, a SkiniBrute and generally buried in cables.

I'd also like to avoid incandescent or halogen lights due to the heat and potential noise they introduce.

The goosenecks pictured in Roger's photo look like a pretty good option. I don't know if they're LED but if I could find something like them that might work out well. I do like the idea of something that could run across the whole front of the cabinet, perhaps hung on pair of hanging hooks somehow.

I also definitely like the idea of being able to change the colour of the LEDs either when playing or just for a nice way to show off the system.

Thank you all again for the suggestions! Please keep 'em coming.
Mark11Audio
Flareless wrote:
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Sorry, but I misused the word valance when I meant crown. I got the idea from the QCC Crown from synthesizers.com

I don't have the room on the surface of the table for lamps or lights of any kind. It's covered with effects pedals, a SkiniBrute and generally buried in cables.

I'd also like to avoid incandescent or halogen lights due to the heat and potential noise they introduce.

The goosenecks pictured in Roger's photo look like a pretty good option. I don't know if they're LED but if I could find something like them that might work out well. I do like the idea of something that could run across the whole front of the cabinet, perhaps hung on pair of hanging hooks somehow.

I also definitely like the idea of being able to change the colour of the LEDs either when playing or just for a nice way to show off the system.

Thank you all again for the suggestions! Please keep 'em coming.

I have these from IKEA... and I just noticed in another picture out on the web that Richard Divine also has these same little lites. They work very nicely.

Jansjö for $9.99 I have [4] of them... Jansjö Lite

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Jsharpphoto
I have those same exact ikea lights, but I flush mounted them to the crown on my sequencer cabinet. Just remove the bases (or don't install them to begin with) and cut the cord (with enough room to wire-nut them back together. Drill holes in the crown to replicate the pattern of holes in the ikea bases. Feed the wire through, get some longer screws and attach the wires back together.

Easy. Cost $30 for all three (22u wide cabinet) instead of $180 for gooseneck BNC lights and connectors, and these don't get hot.
Flareless
Mark11Audio wrote:

I have these from IKEA... and I just noticed in another picture out on the web that Richard Divine also has these same little lites. They work very nicely.

Jsharpphoto wrote:
I have those same exact ikea lights, but I flush mounted them to the crown on my sequencer cabinet. Just remove the bases (or don't install them to begin with) and cut the cord (with enough room to wire-nut them back together. Drill holes in the crown to replicate the pattern of holes in the ikea bases. Feed the wire through, get some longer screws and attach the wires back together......

.....Easy. Cost $30 for all three (22u wide cabinet) instead of $180 for gooseneck BNC lights and connectors, and these don't get hot.

Very cool. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks! thumbs up

Hey, this won't void the light's warranty will it hihi
ranix
are you running the lights off cabinet power?
josaka
the lights I posted from Ikea are clamped to the rear of the to shelf.. and reach over.. you can put any E27 bulb in.. (any coulour LED and switchable colour lights.etc. E27 are my bulb of choice smile ! )

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Kl9ly9s2L.jpg
Jsharpphoto
ranix wrote:
are you running the lights off cabinet power?

assuming that question was for me, no. Ikea sells a little 3 outlet powerstrip for like $1. I have that velcro'd inside the crown, and an extension cord running out of the back of the cab down to the main power strip for my entire studio.
Jsharpphoto
Flareless wrote:
Mark11Audio wrote:

Jsharpphoto wrote:
I have those same exact ikea lights, but I flush mounted them to the crown on my sequencer cabinet. Just remove the bases (or don't install them to begin with) and cut the cord (with enough room to wire-nut them back together. Drill holes in the crown to replicate the pattern of holes in the ikea bases. Feed the wire through, get some longer screws and attach the wires back together......

.....Easy. Cost $30 for all three (22u wide cabinet) instead of $180 for gooseneck BNC lights and connectors, and these don't get hot.

Very cool. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks! thumbs up

Hey, this won't void the light's warranty will it hihi

I will give you a piece of advice. I am a paranoid person. I had this fear of one of the lights burning out. These are rated for an absurd amount of time, but that time will eventually run out. I know that ikea only carries certain things for a few years, so I went ahead and bought two extra replacement SETS (x3 each) and I have them tucked away for a rainy day. That brought the total cost up to $90. Still cheaper than one set of the BNC goosenecks, and should last me about 25 years.
cptnal
Bump!

K, it's 2019. Any new ideas? I find my strip of LEDs on the shelf above doesn't cut it now that I've gone vertical. waah
Faustgeist
I quite like these . .

Pros:

a) USB powered
b) Adjustable intensity and color balance (!)
c) Very strong clip
d) After 2 years of use on my modular no issues at all.

Cons

1. With any tall system there is light falloff for the lowest modules
2. Each lamp's cable is reasonable, but to cover a large system I did need to buy $5 USB extension cables.
3. No clean way to pount these to dotcom cases... so just cliped them to a book or board and rested it on top. Easy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRU9SP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl e_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a good solution for powering it all...

bwhittington
A USB light could be powered off the 5v rail, right? I wonder how much current they need.
cornutt
Right now I've got a big torchire lamp that sits right behind the synth and is pointed up at the ceiling. That does decently well; it doesn't cast knob shadows, but it would be nice to have more direct light.
Synth Con Meo
Faustgeist wrote:
I quite like these . .

Pros:

a) USB powered
b) Adjustable intensity and color balance (!)
c) Very strong clip
d) After 2 years of use on my modular no issues at all.

Cons

1. With any tall system there is light falloff for the lowest modules
2. Each lamp's cable is reasonable, but to cover a large system I did need to buy $5 USB extension cables.
3. No clean way to pount these to dotcom cases... so just cliped them to a book or board and rested it on top. Easy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRU9SP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl e_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a good solution for powering it all...

I have a couple of the same exact lights. Bought them a couple years back during the Amazon Day special thingie. They are pretty nice but have come across the same conclusions on the Pro's and Cons. Especially only being able to illuminate just some of the modules on my tall system.
JohnLRice
For studio lighting the main lights I'm using are Dracast and FotoDiox diffused LED lights. They can be adjusted for intensity and color temperature and I typically bounce them off the white ceiling to further diffuse the light. As you can see I have some pipes/trusses bolted to the ceiling that the lights are mounted to to keep them out of the way. I now also have both cameras mounted to ceiling and wall trusses. I also have floor stands and tripods for when lights and/or cameras need to be lower etc but it's so nice having the floor clear so I don't have to try to move around like a ninja to avoid bumping stands or tripping on them like I used to have to do! Ninja I also have some pairs of LED bars near the ceiling in three corners of the room I got at a hardware store and I'll usually just use these with or without the room's normal ceiling LED light when I'm not doing video of photo work.

There is also a long row of LED lights behind the rack for back lighting effect and a small under the bench LED light. I have all of these special lights plugged into a multi outlet with individual switches to make turning on and off the lights I want to use.
bwhittington
John, you are next level insane, but we all knew that. Your space will soon be as much a film studio as music studio. w00t

If you are venturing into studio lighting vs. rig lighting, though. you are still lagging behind. I've been playing with a guy whose studio space is a full on light show. Naturally, he owns does lighting rentals. Photo below, but only video could do it justice. Full nightclub action. Which, ironically, is what has me clicking on synth lighting threads now, because I can't see a thing. hihi

JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
John, you are next level insane, but we all knew that. Your space will soon be as much a film studio as music studio. w00t

If you are venturing into studio lighting vs. rig lighting, though. you are still lagging behind.
d'oh! I'd better go buy MOAR of all the things! hyper meh Dead Banana hihi

Yes, for the longest time I was mainly focused on improving lighting for doing video demos and product photography, and now that I have a pretty fantastic amount of gear for that, I've totally stopped doing any product demos for manufacturers! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it lol

I almost pulled the trigger on some stage type lights not long ago but . . . I'm currently at a point financially that it's more likely I may be selling things then buying things by this time next year! eek!
bwhittington
I think your clean studio lightning might be more the ideal. Though since we are mainly just recording live jams, the nutty light show does kind of get you into feeling that vibe. And maybe not being able to see helps push you towards the panic of 'live.' In fact, you can almost hear the screams of your adoring fans above the din . . .
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
And maybe not being able to see helps push you towards the panic of 'live.' In fact, you can almost hear the screams of your adoring fans above the din . . .
I was gearing up for and do intend to do some live streaming at some point, so I'll have enough panic inspiration? oops
bawb40475
Hard to see at night in dimly lighted room so I built this. 36" LED lighting strip from local hardware store $40. Scrap wood and a bit of paint. Attached to cabinet with star nuts and plug in jack to be easily removed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2