MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patterning app - best drum machine out there
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Patterning app - best drum machine out there
knifey
As a drummer, I've always been fascinated by drum machines, musically and aesthetically (i love the look of old analog drum machines). But I've always been annoyed by the non-flexibility of hardware drum machines in terms of setting the number of steps per sound, or being able to shift rhythms on the fly, like a human drum ensemble might be able to do. I know more recent drum machines have become more flexible and versatile, but they still can't get out of default 16-pad design, 4/4-and-related meter programming.

So, Patterning has been a total dream for me. It's everything I've wanted a drum machine to be able to do. I'm interested to know other people's take on it, and on the design of drum machines in general. Do you think the demand from the music genres that emerged alongside synths and samplers and drum machines (techno, house, etc) shaped the design of drum machines, or vice versa? Are there larger, culture-specific musical forces at work in the evolution of the drum machine?

Oh - user interfaces fascinate me too. I'm curious of what people think about multi-touch interfaces (ipad) alongside hardware buttonsn and knobs in relation to using drum machines. I'm pretty happy with the multi-touch world that Patterning exists in.
mt3
As a drummer myself, anything to do with drum programming/sequencing/etc. has been a hellish disaster. I'm considering midi drums that use mesh heads to try and recapture that "feel" and physical "je ne sais quoi" from playing drums.
You've piqued my curiosity with Patterning and I'll check it out.
listentoaheartbeat
I have just started to explore Patterning two days ago. It solves some really big issues for me in regards to drum programming, primarily because it feels less like programming and more like playing, but also by making velocity an integral part of event creation and integrating polyrhythmic, euclidean, and phasing techniques in a smart way. It is the first iOS app that makes me wonder if I should upgrade from my old iPad 2, because this really could become an essential part of my workspace.

First thing I did though was to delete all the samples and load some of my own recordings and samples into it. I am really missing a zoom function in the sample editor since I normally skip chopping up samples from my recordings and just crop them non-destructively directly in the sampler (e.g. Ableton's Simpler). Also you cannot sort user samples by categories and batch import is only possible via iTunes file sharing, not Dropbox. I don't like sample sets, and this app is really cumbersome when it comes to using your own sounds.

Also the MIDI implementation is lacking, the automation layers should output MIDI CCs. In general, I think I would prefer this to be a sequencer and controller, rather than a self-contained sampler. On the other hand, I had a lot of fun creating patterns in my living room, then exporting a live set and loading it up in the studio as a new session starter.
knifey
hey listentoaheartbeat,

I totally agree with you on both its flexibility (like i said I've been looking for something like this forever) and its shortcomings (MIDI output) - I use Audioshare to import, which is slightly better than Dropbox, but no batch import, but I generally don't like using iTunes period.

I quite like some of the glitchy samples, but yeah, I prefer my own. This is definitely more of a "drum machine" proper (with incredible rhythmic flexibility) than a sophisticated drum sampler. I'm thinking of using this as my sole drum source along with my Eurorack system, and try to sync the system with a MIDI channel out from Patterning (through a Qunexus as a MIDI to CV converter).
Phil999
iPad2 should work alright with Patterning. I never observed any problems.

Yes, Patterning is indeed a dream come true. It invites to do polyrhythms, while it's also good for standard rhythms. I've never used the song mode yet because it is interesting enough to 'play' one pattern, shift the tracks, mute and solo tracks etc. with this beautiful GUI.

Good idea with deleting all samples, because I only use them for programming and rehearsing. I prefer to trigger sounds in the modular, or single sounds of my MIDIfied CR-78, and software synths.

The setup can take some time because the middle C is not always the same depending to where you send out notes, but after that's settled you can work very fast and very intuitively. Patterning is a drum programming instrument, something I've actually never dreamt about. But it's here now, and it is like a dream.

As someone who spent so many hours in programming the TR-808 and CR-78 (even more difficult), I couldn't be more happy with such an elegant and powerful app like Patterning.

But since you guys are interested in different rhythm structures, we must mention another interesting software, it's called XronoMorph. Similar to Patterning you have a circle, and a polygon per track. This is really the best overview of a rhythmic structure I think. For output you can choose between internal sounds, MIDI out, and you can also host VST instruments. Very clever. It takes a minute or two to load, you have to get used to that, but when it runs it's stable.

http://www.dynamictonality.com/xronomorph.htm
knifey
Never heard of XronoMorph. Looks amazing! Gonna have to check it out. nanners
dkcg
waah

I need a new ipad. My 1st gen just isn't cutting it anymore and everything cool these days seems to need a newer os than I can upgrade to. :(

This really caught my eye as it looks like it might work sorta like the Buchla 252e. Thanks for the heads up on this, one day...

thumbs up
mt3

Damn. They just introduced Ableton Live Set export:
http://www.olympianoiseco.com/blog/patterning-now-with-ableton-live-se t-export
listentoaheartbeat
Phil999 wrote:

It's pretty laggy at times as far as interface response in concered, at least compared to what I have seen on a friend's newer generation iPad. But maybe I am just looking for an excuse to by stuff. 4th gen iPad are pretty cheap on the used market. wink

On another note, I just found this info in a description of the 1.1 update:
Quote:

MIDI Output Enhancements – In addition to notes, MIDI enabled tracks can now send automation data in the form of CC or pitch bend messages. Track layers are assigned to MIDI destinations according to the MIDI standard. MIDI Track settings can be imported from other songs for easy reuse.

Had a look at it – holy shit! Coarse Tune sends out note pitch, Fine Tune sends out pitch bend, all other automation layers send out CCs! Will definitely set this up to control my Airbase99.

Since all tracks send out the same, fixed CC numbers, I will have to send each track out on a separate MIDI channel and then map all the CC messages to the correct CC numbers in a little M4L patch, but this will definitely be worth it!
Mashmore
I love this app but I have been getting crashes when trying to send midi out via wifi to ableton. Lovely applicaton none the less.
listentoaheartbeat
Mashmore wrote:
I love this app but I have been getting crashes when trying to send midi out via wifi to ableton. Lovely applicaton none the less.

I recommend Midimux / Studiomux for any signal routing to and from the computer, whether it be MIDI, OSC, or even audio. Far more reliable than wireless.
Phil999
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
Phil999 wrote:

It's pretty laggy at times as far as interface response in concered

true, the GUI's of many apps do not always respond well on iPad2, but it's not a real problem I think.

Really nice new MIDI output options, haven't even tried them yet! But they will make Patterning even more useful for controlling hardware.

Midimux/Studiomux: I also recommend that app for computer interaction.
dpcoffin
knifey wrote:

Oh - user interfaces fascinate me too. I'm curious of what people think about multi-touch interfaces (ipad) alongside hardware buttonsn and knobs in relation to using drum machines. I'm pretty happy with the multi-touch world that Patterning exists in.

Highly recommend looking into Different Drummer as well, though it's far from being simply or even largely a drum-oriented device. It uses wave shapes, freqs, and phase-offsets to control MIDI note and CC streams, patterns, and loops with both grid-based and circular looping interfaces.

I use it with MusicIO as my wired/usb interface; works wonderfully.
FearKonstruktor
I've checked Patterning as well from another post in there. Preety good piece of software. Actually with is the second app I've started using on my iPad besides Samplr.
knifey
dpcoffin - just checked out Different Drummer - wow! definitely going to check it out some more.

FearKonstruktor - Patterning is the first app I played live just this past weekend. Haven't seen Samplr, but if you're into sampling, can't miss Borderlands. nanners
rec.Koner
Quote:
Different Drummer

I still don't understand it, and don't see much it being used in music or videos.

Though it gave me impression maybe you can make music in style of Ikue Mori with it?! Sequencing-wise
Bachelard
Different Drummer seems to me to be a better generative sort of drum machine, using different wave shapes to generate patterns, and it seems easier to create patterns for inspiration. Patterning requires programming by actually entering notes (although you can get generative with the Note Echo function and all the rotations and direction changes, WHICH I wish were automatable).

However, I also don't think you can specify steps PER sound in DD as you can in Patterning.

I think the wave concept in DD is really clever. Not a fan of the interface though...I'm sure it works well for the concept of the app and funcitons it has (and it looks like it's packed with features) but aesthetically, I find it pretty ugly.
GovernorSilver
Different Drummer does have a step sequencer.

But, if you prefer step sequencing for creating drum parts, and are reluctant to try any alternative to that, this app is really not for you.

I bought it, thinking that I could use it to create percussion parts other than the same ol' beats that everybody else does, but too many other apps have emerged since, that are have drawn my attention.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1