MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3TrinsRGB+1c triple VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author 3TrinsRGB+1c triple VCO
tronotape
Definitely interested in this!
drumasaurusrex
Hey all.

It has come to my attention that the 3Trins "High" voltage level is different on different units. Mine gives over 4v, others give under 3v. I've heard that 3.3v is about standard. I am going to pause and try to get some more specifics. The cd4046 max frequency is notably sensitive to these difference is voltage levels, and can cause a big change in the number of vertical bars you can get at max V... at 4.3v (which mine gives) I get 20-30 bars depending on the cap values I've been trying out. But below 3v, it is not as fun.

I previously debated making the 3Trins version of this 3xVCO as a battery powered (9v) version with a buffered and limited amplitude. What do you all think about that? Then, there would be a consistent supply voltage to the ic, and I could set the output level... but if I went that route, I'm not sure if that output should match the *lowest* possible "HIGH" output that someone's unit might have... or the "average" (~3.3v)... or what?

So, I will try to figure out the range of voltage outputs and see what works.

In the meantime, how do people here feel about a battery-powered version?
It would mean using 2 fewer jumpers, which might be nice. smile
FetidEye
maybe everyone can measure what is the output. then we know the average.

a battery powered device is no problem for me.
Best to get the most out of the oscillators, it will be a more useful addon then
sync24
yeah, likewise -
tell me where to measure and I'll let you know.

battery power sounds fine, too.

w00t
FetidEye
set your multimeter to DC
you can expect voltages between 2.6v and 4v, so set the meter to that range
(on most meters this is '20')

measure between HIGH and GND

I get 2.6v
sync24
where abouts am i measuring?
on the output jack?
FetidEye
on the patchbay header
tronotape
I'm reading just under 4.3v.
FetidEye
my VJ friend measures 2.53v (3trinsRGB from kit)
my 3trinsRGB is also a diy kit
rm
2.58v from a kit
Lento_Zoom
Mine was around 2.5v, built from a kit in August. I'll post a more accurate reading when I can.
bullt
sign me up
sync24
measured mine, was a kit (panel number 13): 2.52v
johyde
Bit late to the party, but please sign me up too! I'll try and measure my voltage when I get a chance. I'd be OK with battery power if necessary..
kaeth
I'd be into this too if there's still room! Battery or not, it sounds awesome either way.
drumasaurusrex
Checked on my scope and got 4.36v

I have a plan. It'll be a little bit before kits, but thanks to everyone's feedback the path is clear.

I'll post when some more progress.
ThomasVanTa
Count me in! smile
vonkhades
me too, please PM when you have something I'll come back to this thread anyway smile
Tajnost
any news? would love to join the plan!
drumasaurusrex
Tajnost wrote:
any news? would love to join the plan!

Glad to hear you're interested!
I very recently (week ago) rekindled some work on this after a handful of major life changes (baby, relocation, new job). I think the most likely way for me to move forward on this is with a couple revamps. The previous plan was to use 3 4046 PLL ics wired as syncable VCOs... with an LM1881 to extract sync from the 3Trins (so that folks wouldn't have to tap the onboard one). What I am currently imagining is a couple chicklet circuits – like mini modules: [1] video-sync'd VCO circuit (can add as many as like) – possibly 2 flavors in mind, one based on a 4046 and another with multiple entangled oscillators based on one 40106 ic... these could be configured to work with other setups such as LZX gear and not only for 3Trins tho 3Trins is my main interest; [2] an LM1881 chicklet for stripping sync; and [3] a video-sync'd stepped-CV sequencer that allows dialing in stepped modulations for pattern generation from the external oscillators or the oscillators onboard the 3Trins. The oscillators and sequencer would require a sync signal from 3Trins... if a person felt like tapping the onboard one, they could go that route... otherwise use an LM1881. I am still figuring this out. In meantime. I will post some proper schematics soon.

Cheers!
vonkhades
interested too!
dubtoms
Just finished building the kit from Gieskes so I'm interested as well smile
BolognaSamwich
Hey did you ever get around to the PCB?? Very interested!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2