MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise 0-Coast vs Pittsburgh SV1 Blackbox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Make Noise 0-Coast vs Pittsburgh SV1 Blackbox
jadrowsky88
Which one would you recommend as first (semi)modular synth between Make Noise 0-Coast and Pittsburgh SV1 Blackbox?

I would use them to learn modular synthesis and play mostly drone/ dark ambient/spacey sounds.

Thanks
luketeaford
I think they are probably both fine choices -- I have the 0-Coast which is a lot of fun to use for drones.

The 0-Coast can use its Slope section as a second oscillator (it can track fairly well), but I don't think you'd have much luck managing to use the SV1's second oscillator as an envelope. I guess the trade off is it's more convenient for those thick 2 oscillator tones, but more limiting in terms of modulation.

For me, the SV1's biggest disadvantage is that it looks like the signal into the filter is the output of the mixer and there's nothing you can do to change that. The 0-Coast has a similar drawback that you can't patch anything into the wavefolder.
imxtristan
luketeaford wrote:

For me, the SV1's biggest disadvantage is that it looks like the signal into the filter is the output of the mixer and there's nothing you can do to change that. The 0-Coast has a similar drawback that you can't patch anything into the wavefolder.

Not true for the SV-1. Simply patch your audio signal of choice to the Filter's "IN" to over-ride the normaled signal path from the mixer.
Pailo
Pittsburgh SV-1 is really fun for a keyboard.
Was playing with it yesterday and it really
sounds good. You can de-normal anything.
The two voices make it an awesome bass
synth or lead. You can do cool experiments with it.
The midi in section is cool too. Its like a standard
Moog prodigy, or MG-1.

The 0-coast is also all about wave folding, so if
you have been tired of the standard "filtered" sound
it is a very far departure. More like 258 plus the 259 wave folder
and a function generator and LFO. Its more additive
and good for weirder more unstable things. In theory
the 0-coast has 3 point to wave fold and that makes it
pretty unique. two at the fold, and one in the drive section.
Not much like it out there.
luketeaford
imxtristan wrote:
luketeaford wrote:

Not true for the SV-1. Simply patch your audio signal of choice to the Filter's "IN" to over-ride the normaled signal path from the mixer.

My mistake! I did t catch that input down there in the pictures!
I guess the sv1 is more open than I thought!
cmcavoy
I haven't played with either, but there's a difference in philosophies between the two - noted above as well - the 0-coast is more west coast-y and the SV-1 is more east coasty. So, think Morton Subotnick v. Emerson Lake & Palmer. Or Tupac v. Biggie. Etc.
jadrowsky88
Yeah I know there is a difference in terms of synthesis philosphy, it's like saying beatles or rolling stones, mario or luigi, vespa or lambretta, pizza or pasta, chinese food vs sushi and so on. You guys are making me want to go for the 0 coast, which seems a really good appealing beast for my purposes. My main concern is that might be the 0 coast not too traditional and understandable as the first expeirence for my purposes??
luketeaford
I think the 0-Coast is still pretty understandable. I couldn't quite get my head around what the Balance input does until I played around with it -- it accepts an input to blend with the triangle wave's overtones.

Although it is difficult to coax "traditional" synth sounds out of the 0-Coast, it doesn't feel like something missing to me.
mchanger
How different would the modulation options be on both the synth?

I feel like the SV-1 would have more 'modular' modulation options. But maybe I am wrong.
aokjoey0
I don't own either (have 7U 104hp filled with MN, Mutable Instruments and Doepher), but did research on both and played the 0-Coast quite a bit during KnobCon.

I would emphasize "different" over "more" modulation options though.
The SV-1 is more conventional (subtractive, east coast, yada yada) in it's layout. They 0-Coast is very different. Even though the contour generator and dynamics section is supposedly a nod the east coast world, it definitely feels like a different breed if your used to subtractive synth models.

For example, the "End of Onset (attack) output and indicator are a nod to MN's Maths and Function.

Even the terminology is like "surf's up, dude!" LOL
(As an aside, if I were MN, I would have used terminology as similar as possible to their current modules. Why name it "Onset" when you call it "Rise" in other products? Or at least be consistent with east coast terminology and call it "attack." Just a small oddity)

Based on the OP's type of music, I would jump on the O-Coast.
arthurdent
I'm a noobie - just starting buying stuff a month ago - and I took a slightly different approach. I originally was going to get an SV-1 and a Mother 32, ended up with two Mother 32's instead, then after reading all of the posts and watching the Make Noise videos, I picked up a 0-Coast. The M-32's have the built-in keyboard which is also a sequencer, with two of them together, I can set up two different sequences and play them in unison. Linking the 0-Coast allows me to blend in some West-Coast style mods. Still thinking about adding an SV-1 to "round out" the system.
bandobandobando
Not sure what your budget is. 0 coast is a fun little machine for the money. I own one and love it. However for a more traditional beginner setup, I would recommend getting the Soundmachines - Modulör114. For ~$200 more than the 0 coast and $20 more than the SV-1 (shipped to USA) you get SOOO much more functionality. It's on sale at www.schneidersladen.de, otherwise you will pay more than what I mentioned. Just bought one myself and I feel like a need to proselytize a bit to support the company because it was a steal. Have fun either way! Guinness ftw!
McRINdk
I have both, and they play really well together. Get both.
floater
I'm also new and was deciding between these and the mother

I chose the 0 coast for more West coast and because it has more flexibility for exponential shapes, flexible LFO and math

I want the other two semi modulars mentioned but I'll have to wait till later I'm not that rich

Also considering the Waldorf 2 pole filter next since the 0 coast has no filter
sauce_aux
I've had the Sv-1 for about a month, and I have to say it is pretty mean. The 0-coast was a very close second, but I wasn't looking for desktop format. They're both very different from each other, at least when I played with them, that was the impression I got. I'm new to modular, so it was a tough decision. I'm sure you'll make the right one for yourself.

Or you could get both, I think McRINdk has a better solution.
2k4s
One thing to keep in mind. If you are learning synthesis, meaning that if you are watching tutorials and reading up on it, the SV-1 will probably line up better as far as being able to register what is being talked about and what you have at your disposal. Whereas the 0-coast is a bit non-traditional unless you are specifically learning about west coast style synthesis. It's just that most of what is out there in terms of basic learning is east-coast based. Did that make sense? it's kinda late LOL.
ATCX
Definitely a selection is SV-1 if the first analog / semi / modular synth.

Reasoning:

Easier to provide all the basic sounds.
Easy to use.
Logical sound building method.
More access points.
2 x oscillator.
2 x LFO
Oscillator you can get at one time out of 4 waveforms
(Osc X 2 = 8, however, you need a bigger Mixer.)
Good midi module / CV Programmable MIDI CC, MIDI Clock, Midi Velosity, LFO MIDI Sync.
A good start "plank" if interacting expand the modular. A few more module and then it is a space machine.

t. ATCX Rockin' Banana!
blindmanblake
I would opt for anything MakeNoise over anything Pittsburgh as I favor Moosetracks Custard to a vanilla popsicle. I think the thing that repelled me most about going modular until I did so, recently, is the level of pretense and babying present in the culture. If you can find your way about a VA subtractive, you can easily understand more complex modules given due study to a given unit. They don't have faith in you, I do.
Also, I'm trying to get my post count up so I can contact a maker.
setupsetup
bandobandobando wrote:
Not sure what your budget is. 0 coast is a fun little machine for the money. I own one and love it. However for a more traditional beginner setup, I would recommend getting the Soundmachines - Modulör114. For ~$200 more than the 0 coast and $20 more than the SV-1 (shipped to USA) you get SOOO much more functionality. It's on sale at www.schneidersladen.de, otherwise you will pay more than what I mentioned. Just bought one myself and I feel like a need to proselytize a bit to support the company because it was a steal. Have fun either way! Guinness ftw!

I haven't had my hands on any of those synths mentioned but I'm a huge fan of the Sound Machines Modulör114 myself (and I love Sound Machines in general, just think about their brain-wave-controller...). I'd go for that. You could also go for the Kilpatrick Audio Phenol (the 'catway'-drug...) - I also love Kilpatrick Audio as a company and the concepts behind their/ Andrew's stuff.

I think since you considered the MakeNoise 0-coast (which is more west coast than anything else...) and since you are especially interested in producing drone-ish and atmospheric stuff you should maybe have a closer look at the mentioned synths (0-coast, Modulör114 and Phenol) over the Pittsburgh SV-1 (I like Pittsburgh Modular as well but I think the MakeNoise, Sound Machines and Kilpatrick Audio semis way more interesting).

The Phenol has got 2 filters, 2 very flexible envelopes, a built in sequencer, digital delay, a pulse divider and several auxiliary/ handy modules plus two oscillators, random voltage and a LFO and combines best of both coasts for a beginner.

The Modulör114 has even more handy utility-modules plus a nice ribbon controller but lacks a second filter. I guess if you're interested in live performance this could be THE way to go since it's also got 3 mixers, a quantizer, manual voltage generators, 3 attenuators, logic gates and a pulse divider (percussion-madness).

The 0-coast is fancy, good lucking on one hand but for a beginner it might be very confusing since it's layout and overall design (also circuit-wise) is a bit obscure and unusual (which makes it a nice device for experimenting and relying on sound rather than on patching-technique but a bit too unusual for actual beginners that want to dive into modular synthesis or programming synths in general).

I guess I'd personally either chose the Modulör114 or the Phenol over the Pittsburgh or MakeNoise systems (but I guess it's a matter of budget as well). If you're having fun with modular synthesis (which is not unlikely) I'd maybe save a little more cash and get a bigger system as the Phenol or the Modulör114 but you could also try to get mad skills on a limited system.......

I hope this helped a bit and didn't confuse you more than you were originally hyper
sys
[quote="setupsetup"]
bandobandobando wrote:

The 0-coast is fancy, good lucking on one hand but for a beginner it might be very confusing since it's layout and overall design (also circuit-wise) is a bit obscure and unusual (which makes it a nice device for experimenting and relying on sound rather than on patching-technique but a bit too unusual for actual beginners that want to dive into modular synthesis or programming synths in general)

Just to add my 2 cents, I am a total beginner with only a little experience with all in one classic synths, and recently got a 0-Coast as my first step to modular. Though there was a bit of a learning curve, and it still sometimes confusing, its simple and compact enough to not be too intimidating, even if some things are "different" than your regular newbie like me is accustomed to. That and, as a beginner with some preconceived notions of what modular synthesis can do, it kind of forces you to rethink and realize how wide open the modular realm can be. Don't have any experience with the SV-1, so can't comment on one versus the other, but wouldn't let its oddness be a deterring factor for a first synth!
Reordian
blindmanblake wrote:
I would opt for anything MakeNoise over anything Pittsburgh as I favor Moosetracks Custard to a vanilla popsicle. I think the thing that repelled me most about going modular until I did so, recently, is the level of pretense and babying present in the culture. If you can find your way about a VA subtractive, you can easily understand more complex modules given due study to a given unit. They don't have faith in you, I do.
Also, I'm trying to get my post count up so I can contact a maker.

applause nanners thumbs up

I would suggest religion over getting your post count up if you trying to get in touch with your maker... hihi

Anywhooo, totally agree - fuck rules, follow your gut, play both, pick the one you like best! I have the 0 Coast and that thing rocks - its fast, intuitive, sounds great and is not intimidating at all. That being said, I am saving up for a larger Pittsburgh system as well - you cant go wrong with either.
goldi
The Pittsburgh SV1 is awesome. Just make sure it's calibrated with the latest firmware -- they'll do it for free and it tracks great afterwards.

I also want an O coast -- that thing looks amazing and really complementary. Personally, i think these semimods are a great deal for the
loydb
I own both. They are for sure different beasts (west vs. east). If you're looking for crazy mean growling bass lines, the SV-1 wins. If you master the 0-coast, you will have a deeper understanding of synthesis than the SV-1. As someone else said, the SV-1 lines up with all of the traditional synth tutorials.

Whenever someone asks what their first rack should contain, my answer is a 0-coast, then wait 2 months. If you're still into it, then talk about a case. You'll be in a much better position to make good module choices.
Bottle
loydb wrote:
I own both. They are for sure different beasts (west vs. east). If you're looking for crazy mean growling bass lines, the SV-1 wins. If you master the 0-coast, you will have a deeper understanding of synthesis than the SV-1. As someone else said, the SV-1 lines up with all of the traditional synth tutorials.

Whenever someone asks what their first rack should contain, my answer is a 0-coast, then wait 2 months. If you're still into it, then talk about a case. You'll be in a much better position to make good module choices.

I've had the 0-coast since Christmas and love it. The SV-1 was also on my shortlist but was £150 more in the store, so I opted for the MN and haven't regretted the choice. In time I may get the SV-1 to complement the 0-coast.

I also waited to then make the jump into rack modules. I've just taken delivery of a Doepfer mini case (32HP only) and so far have filled it with a MN Wogglebug, a Turing Machine and I'm buildng a couple of Radio Music modules for it too, but this will be the core system for a while. It will force me to be more creative and work around the limitations of a handful of modules rather than having a large rack full of modules to choose from.

Enjoy the journey and don't forget why you're getting into synthesis!
floater
i have the 0 coast now and i'm considering what to add next, again looking at the semis, mother, lifeforms, etc.

built some racks on modulargrid but the semi modulars seem to be about half the cost of the same thing with individual modules

i'm actually leaning toward a 2nd 0 coast or a maths, i see these 3 tier mother 32's and 4 tier volcas, i want a 3 tier 0 coast!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2