MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[BUILD] JasperIN - Midi and CV/Gate Input for Jasper/Wasp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author [BUILD] JasperIN - Midi and CV/Gate Input for Jasper/Wasp
Altitude909
I'll populate this with details shortly, for now:

Usage

Due to the limitations of the Wasp design, it will respond to midi keys C2#-C5 only, anything outside of that range is ignored. Effectively, you get a little more range than the keyboard. Same is true for the CV.

BOM

Mouser Cart

Firmware

Current version is 0.09a.

Download: HERE

You need teensy loader: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

Simply open the app, load the hex file, set it to auto, and plug in the Jasperin interface via USB. The code will upload and the yellow LED will come on indicating that it is down. The jasperin is powered by the synth only, it does not power from the USB so it has to be plugged in to the LINK port

The Resonator:

This is much easier than it looks. Simply tin one pad, flux, flow and slide the part into position. Then simply touch the tip of your iron to the bottom next pad and touch the junction with solder. It will wick under the part (you will see solder at the top of the pad). There is metalization one the bottom and sides of the resonator so the solder wicks right up the part.

The 0805 LED:

There is a dot showing the orientation of the part, it matches the side of the LED with the line on one side, the correct orientation is below.

The TH LED:

The correct spot to bend the part is right behind the two little thicker parts on the LED leads.

Mounting Holes

Download: HERE
afx
Calibration:

The voltage at the test pad next to the trimmer should be half of the CV input voltage.

JasperIN Controls v0.09a:

The CV/gate jacks need to be unplugged while you configure the JasperIN.

1. - Configuration mode (Switch S1)
    Puts the JasperIN in configuration mode for configuration of the channel and CV input range

Midi Channel Configuration:
    1) Press the learn button to put the JasperIn into configuration mode
    2) Send one midi note in the midi channel you want to set the JasperIN to respond to

CV range configuration:
    1) Press the learn button to put the JasperIn into configuration mode
    2) To configure the CV input range, send one midi note in the octave listed in the following table:

Code:

Midi Note # | Octave | Range
     0 to 11    |   -2   | 0.083v-3v
    12 to 23    |   -1   | 1.083v-4v
    24 to 35    |    0   | 2.083v-5v
       >35      |   Any  | 3.083v-6v

2. - Teensy bootloader mode (Switch S2)
    Puts the JasperIN in bootloader mode for firmware updates

The USB port is currently used for uploading the code only.
GryphonP3
Piece of cake!! Just paid SlayerBadger!
peAk
I asked you through email but I thought I would ask here to help others out.

So the midi is working but I am getting stuck notes really bad. (Nektar Panorama Controller)

Is there a setting for this? Or should I only be sending a fixed velocity to it? What exactly are the two buttons used for? I know you mentioned midi learn and reset but what exactly do you mean?

Also, I am assuming midi doesn't respond to pitch?

Thanks
afx
peAk wrote:
So the midi is working but I am getting stuck notes really bad. (Nektar Panorama Controller)

We never ran into that problem during development or testing, could you please try with a different controller and post the results.

peAk wrote:
Is there a setting for this? Or should I only be sending a fixed velocity to it?

There is no setting for now, velocity is not supported.

peAk wrote:
What exactly are the two buttons used for? I know you mentioned midi learn and reset but what exactly do you mean?

One button is for firmware upgrade and the second button is for midi channel selection.

peAk wrote:
Also, I am assuming midi doesn't respond to pitch?

You are correct
Altitude909
Just to add (which is what I asked in the email as well, this is a better place for this anyway)

How are you powering it?

What is the SMD LED doing that's on the board? (i.e. is it solid, flickering etc)

when it gets stuck, can you still use the jasper keybed?

I assume you have it connected to the aux LINK port (the one toward the edge of the jasper pcb, not the one in the middle)
peAk
I am powering it with the aux link2 next to the edge of the PCB. The jasper is being powered through a 9v adapter.

What would happen is I would play some notes, maybe 5 or 6 and then eventually just one note would get stuck and only that note would sound. Nothing I would do at that point would stop the note unless I unplugged the adapter. Once the note would get stuck, the jasper keyboard wouldn't respond either unless I unplugged the adapter

I am currently at work but will test some more when I arrive home. I will try a different controller as well as a different midi port. I will also try using a fixed velocity and see if that helps.

I know the SMD LED was on but I can't remember if it was flickering or solid.

I will report back any findings and possible do a little video.

I appreciate the help guys.
Altitude909
try a different controller but I doubt it's that. The whole thing is hanging up for some reasoon.
peAk
So I messed with it some more last night.

The SMD led is solid, I assume that's correct? The midi adapter is getting 5v.

I tried writing a midi sequence in Cubase and sending it to the Jasper and that seemed to work fine. If I start using my midi controller or the piano roll in Cubase though, a midi note gets stuck pretty quickly. Once the note in stuck, I can hit other notes on the jasper keyboard and they will sound but the note stays stuck. I can also see the stuck note in Cubase on the piano roll. Only way to get rid of the stuck note is to repower the Jasper.

I also tried a "fixed" velocity on my controller but that didn't help.

I haven't had a chance to try another controller or port yet but that will be my next step.

Maybe as some of the adapters get built and users use different controllers, we can see if others experience this or if it's just on my end.
mbroers
Works great thanks SO SO MUCH!
mbroers
I initially had keyboard sensitivity to the maximum and nothing worked right and I assumed it was because I had just opened up the jasper to solder the connector and I disrupted something. Just a dumb suggestion but if you have issues that sound like stuck notes mess with the keyboard sensitivity and the hold switch.
peAk
mbroers wrote:
I initially had keyboard sensitivity to the maximum and nothing worked right and I assumed it was because I had just opened up the jasper to solder the connector and I disrupted something. Just a dumb suggestion but if you have issues that sound like stuck notes mess with the keyboard sensitivity and the hold switch.

I will definitely mess with that. I did already with the hold but didn't change anything

Thing is, I can see the note stuck in Cubase's piano roll
Altitude909
wait, it sticks in the software? Take that out of the loop, plug the midi output of the controller directly to the JasperIN. There is nothing on the device that would cause a stuck note in your software
peAk
Altitude909 wrote:
wait, it sticks in the software? Take that out of the loop, plug the midi output of the controller directly to the JasperIN. There is nothing on the device that would cause a stuck note in your software

No, when I first got the stuck note, I was connecting straight from the din midi on my controller to the jasper midi adapter and I was getting a stuck note.

Yesterday I tested it again and this time I brought Cubase into the mix and this was how I could visually see the note stuck.

I have a pretty elaborate midi setup at home and a few different midi interfaces and synths with midi out that I can try.

Until other users have this issue, I will assume it's on my end and try to work it out. No worries. When I sent a midi sequence from Cubase it was working great even at fast tempos.
peAk
***Update***

So I went ahead and tried using the midi out of one of my synths and the jasper midi adapter works perfect. I have absolutely no idea what is causing my main controller to get stuck notes with it but I will have to work that out or just use another controller.

Anyway, thanks for the help and thanks for spending the time and effort on this adapter.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
hono2k
There is no mini jack for CV / gate in the BOM List
synthetek
hono2k wrote:

They're in the BOM , but not in the Mouser cart because Mouser doesn't have them.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/1-8-mono-pc-mount/
hono2k
synthetek wrote:
hono2k wrote:

They're in the BOM , but not in the Mouser cart because Mouser doesn't have them.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/1-8-mono-pc-mount/

Thx!
synthetek
Finished mine tonight. There are a few mistakes in the BOM , the mouser BOM Has 10 - 10K resistors but 11 are needed ( you should really be buying extra anyway , Its only a little more to buy 100) R15 220 OHM is missing from the google BOM but its in the Mouser BOM. I haven't tested it yet , I still need to make the bale to connect it to the Jasper.

Altitude909
ok. The boms should now be consistant, if anyone spots anything else, please let me know
synthetek
Is the .06 firmware already on the chips shipped with the PCB?
afx
synthetek wrote:

No. The fw is only loaded on the full built kits.
If you bought the barebones or pre-soldered hard parts kits, you need to load the fw into the chip.
AonFLuX
afx wrote:
synthetek wrote:

If you bought the barebones or pre-soldered hard parts kits, you need to load the fw into the chip.

Ok, is there any instructions on how to? Or is it self-explanatory?
GryphonP3
afx wrote:
synthetek wrote:

It is very easy via teensyloader and usb. No weird FTDI cconnection or command line or anything.
afx
AonFLuX wrote:
afx wrote:
synthetek wrote:

Ok, is there any instructions on how to? Or is it self-explanatory?

Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.
Let me know if you need any more help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7