MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

E560 Deflector Shield render
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author E560 Deflector Shield render
paults

Render of the next Synthesis Technology Euro module. Features:

a) 14HP wide (same as E340/E350)
b) positive/negative shifted audio outputs
c) 48KHz, 16-bit audio path (DVD quality)
d) voltage controlled everything
e) exclusive MORPH MOD feature - variable moduation waveshaper (8 different waves, from sine, to saw to pink noise) allows 100s of unique and bizarre effects. Uses 'smoothing' algorithm from E350
f) 3 modules in 1: Ring Mod, Frequency Shifter, Phase Shifter

Ship date: August 1. Will post audio demos ~ 3 weeks when prototype code is operational. Price target under $349 but it is not firm yet.
Mark Landman
Great module name!
Veqtor
hmm, so the morph mod is for the modulation osc?
ignatius
edit: jack function explanation pleeze Guinness ftw!
Cat-A-Tonic
Looking good.

Deflector Shield, huh?
I mentioned Deflector Array. Do I win a prize? Mr. Green

Just for clarification:
Is that at Mix output, or a wet/dry mix CV input?

Is that a Feedback input, or a bipolar-feedback-offset CV input?

If you make the switch horizontal, would it provide enough room for 0 & 90 degree quadrature oscillator outputs?
plord
My guess from the text is: bottom row is all CV in, top row is audio in and both outputs.

Want one for sure smile
paults
a) the bottom row of jacks are all -5V to +5V CV inputs, that are summed with the 4 associated front panel controls

b) I can't add additional outputs, I'm out of I/O on the DSP. I'm trying to make it full-featured but not too expensive. I want to to be as close to $300 retail as possible.

c) wet/dry mixes the original audio input with the processed output(s).

d) feedback is 'bipolar', meaning you can select feeding back the output or the inverted output

e) the MORPH MOD is the internal modulation oscillator waveshape (the SHIFT is its frequency). Every other module of this type uses a sine wave as the waveshape. So do we (it's Wave #1) but then we can smoothly morph between 7 different wavetables. This will generate all sorts of harmonics, beating and distortion Rockin' Banana!
J3RK
Looks nice Paul!
dude
beautiful design sir. maybe making me rethink my shifting situation. bring those demos!
ignatius
awesome paul! wave mod is a nice idea!
Kodama
Pretty!

applause
dude
looks like somebody from portland is bound to end up with one. whoever it is, i want to see that shit!
ignatius
dude wrote:
looks like somebody from portland is bound to end up with one. whoever it is, i want to see that shit!

if i can sell my calrec mixer i will be owed a consolation module (that's how i dull the pain of parting with the high end, loaded w/transformer goodness, outboard gear) and i think the motm deflector shield will console me nicely... even if i have to wait a while.
dude
ignatius wrote:
dude wrote:

if i can sell my calrec mixer i will be owed a consolation module (that's how i dull the pain of parting with the high end, loaded w/transformer goodness, outboard gear) and i think the motm deflector shield will console me nicely... even if i have to wait a while.

i want to meet u and c ur synth sir!
worker8
Nice and new !

May I suggest moving the switch in place of the missing 8th jack socket (I guess you already tried) ?
Ekofisk
Maybe this will end up in frac as well? love
Veqtor
what about a 1v/oct input? and maybe a switch between the internal osc and an external modulator from some input?

question: does the modulation osc go through zero?

if so, wouldn't it be great to be able to use it as an oscillator too?
toppobrillo
hey Paul this looks awesome, can't wait to hear samples and read more. great work!
karplus
look man I'm trying to stop this eurocrack addiction. Please don't post audio demos. And if you do they'd better sound like shit.

thank you
paults
a) the very first render had the switch in the "missing jack" position, but mechanically it was tricky to build. And, I was concerned that it was too close to the patch cords and hence hard to get to.

b) I can't add mod osc out/in because that would take additional ADC (input) and DAC (output) channels at are all "used up" already. Again, want to nudge the price as close to $300 as possible.

c) yes, this is a 'through zero' design

d) if things work out as planned I'll have working HW by June 20 and about 1 week after that for demos. I'm really tied up the whole month of June with my 'real job' (thankfully right now I get a 4-day weekend) but I already have all the parts to build up the prototypes.

Cat-a-tonic: you get to be a beta tester for the name suggestion. PM me your shipping address SlayerBadger!
Veqtor
Maybe you can exchange the switch for a rotary one so you can have more modes available. Mod osc would of course be a dedicated mode.
Hi5
to be honest when this module was first mentioned I was a bit disappointed thinking it was just a freq shifter which didn't sound all too exciting. However, as usual, Paul delivers with something much more interesting. The multiple modes and built-in waveshaper expands things immensely. there probably isn't enough i/o but VC over the mode would be a fun add-on.
great! the money pit just got deeper.
BananaPlug
Very nice. It will go down to DC right?

Quote:
Deflector Shield
Soapbox DISCLAIMER: The following OPINION is neither strictly rational nor a universally held view.
Ick. I would much rather have a functional label like "Frequency Shifter." I'm so put off by affectations like "Zorlon Cannon", "Plague Bearer" and "Deflector Shield" that I'm less likely to buy any of those. I confess to having three goofy-name modules: "Wogglebug", "Binary Zone", "Improbablility Drive" but names like this further marginalize the already marginalized modular.
(hides)

EDIT: Just want to acknowledge the good rebuttals which followed my soap-box. I can't think of a name to cover all the bases so I guess I shouldn't complain. Sorry for the distraction.
paults
a) sure, because zero shift is DC.

b) the naming convention is a mixed bag. 99% of all commercial music gear has no name at all (the M3000? a 16XL24?) or just a name (PigNose) or a "cute" name (WoggleBug). Generic names do not establish any sort of branding, as then you have to attach something to make it different from the other ones out there (SynthTech Frequency Shifter).

Personally, I find it easier to remember the "cute" names versus the 'part number' convention.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
can I be a beta tester? cry

im unemployed so I can spend hours and hours with it!!! we're not worthy
razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11