MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pulse Multiplier?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Pulse Multiplier?
emdot_ambient
There are several pulse dividers out there...the MOTM-730, CGS's pulse dividers...are there any multipliers? Seems like there would be just as many times (if not more) that I'd want to multiply a pulse as divide one.

I just keep thinking that if I've got a MIDI source setting my master tempo, it would be nice to have modular sources like sequencers running at both faster and slower rates.

seriously, i just don't get it ?
sandyb
apologies if this doesn't really answer your question and is something you already know.
an easy way to do what you want to do, without having a multiplier module, is to take your master clock into a divider first. then use one of the divisions (/8, /16 etc...) as your clock source in the patch, adjusting your master clock accordingly. then you've got the other outputs from your divider as both faster and slower clock sources.

i'm not aware of any dedicated multiplier modules in 5U although i'm sure one of the smarter people than me will have thought up a way to patch one.

sandy
JohnLRice
I do what Sandy mentioned, divide my master clock with a MOTM-730 and take the /8 etc out and my new master clock, then I have several choices for multiples.

There was someone here on Muff's that was designing a clock multiplier and it looked like it was fairly far along, but I ca't recall where it was. seriously, i just don't get it
suitandtieguy
apparently a Wave Folder can be used as a pulse doubler, but i've never tried it.
dude
suitandtieguy wrote:
apparently a Wave Folder can be used as a pulse doubler, but i've never tried it.

what he says is true. i have tried it. it isn't the most scientific but it IS awesome. can get swing too! in euro there is a bit and soon to be more as well but that is euro so i won't go into that here.
emdot_ambient
I knew while I posted this that I was probably just thinking the problem through from a personal process point of view...i.e. in software synths and FX your LFOs, delay times and such can often be sync'd in divisions and multiples of the system clock.

Dividing the master clock down to an 8th makes sense, but maybe not always. I haven't got my system together yet, but ultimately I want to perform live with a mix of soft synths and modular gear. So unless I end up getting something like Moon Modular's CV-MIDI module, it just seems like I'd normally be using the PC as the master clock. But never having tried that, I'm not sure what makes the most sense.

Actually one module that could do both would be awesome hihi
Peake
I believe that a ring modulator, with the same signal fed into both inputs, will double the output frequency. Or am I getting that wrong...do you have to have serial RMs...I don't have any available to try it out and post the results.

http://www.technosaurus.ch/modules/drm.htm

"Dual Ring Modulator

The module calculates the sum and difference of the two signals at the inputs A and B. This is very simple with sine wavesbut gives a real cluster of tones when using sawtooth waves.
Enharmonic structures and metalic sounds are the results.

The two ring modulators can be set in series or parallel and can produce frequency-doubling as well."

So, however it works, you could use a series of RMs to add multiple "above tempo" clock signals (you could then divide down from a fairly high multiple to produce triplets etc. above the original clock frequency).

Let me know if this works!

I also believe IIRC, that the Garfield MiniDoc has a way of producing clocks higher than the input.
BananaPlug
This question came up in a euro-centric thread and I offered this recipe, which is really more on-topic here:
Quote:
In Modcan land you could do this with 1/4th of the 61A/B (the digital quad LFO) and 1/2 of the 55A/B Dual Quantizer. To multiply by 5. Set the LFO to make a staircase wave with 5 steps. Set it to sync to the clock input. Patch the output to the quantizer. You don't care about the quantized output but the thing also outputs a pulse whenever the quantized output changes. So there you go, one pulse per step. You can voltage control the number of steps up to 16. With those two modules you could simultaneously get two different multiplications from the one clock. I haven't actually tried this.
I did try it and it works well. Use scale A1, waveform 12, adjust LFO level to about 9.
emdot_ambient
Oh, great, yet another reason for me to mortgage my life to Modcan screaming goo yo hihi
urbanscallywag
Peake wrote:
I believe that a ring modulator, with the same signal fed into both inputs, will double the output frequency. Or am I getting that wrong...do you have to have serial RMs

that's right, you get doubled frequency and DC at the output with just 1 ringmod (same signal to both inputs):

output_freqs = (freq_a + freq_b) & (freq_a - freq_b)

if freq_a = freq_b

output_freqs = (freq_a + freq_a) & (freq_a - freq_a)
output_freqs = 2*freq_a + 0

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
megaohm
Peake wrote:
I believe that a ring modulator, with the same signal fed into both inputs, will double the output frequency. Or am I getting that wrong...

That works with sine and tri but not for pulses, saws, etc.. Could always just run the sine out of a ring mod to a comparator to get pulses.
A full wave rectifier will double triangle waves, too. But still, you would need a comparator to follow it. May be tricky to get it exactly in phase with the clock signal.

I use the technique a lot for adding sub and super(?) octave to a VCO but haven't used it to derive a clock.

p.
carynrich
ive been using a CGS burst generator run through an oakley EFG. the EFG lengthens the trigger output of the burst generator so it can be used as a gate signal. this setup also creates syncopated rhythyms at lower pulses and continuous gates at higher pulses.
doctorvague
emdot_ambient wrote:
I knew while I posted this that I was probably just thinking the problem through from a personal process point of view...i.e. in software synths and FX your LFOs, delay times and such can often be sync'd in divisions and multiples of the system clock.

Dividing the master clock down to an 8th makes sense, but maybe not always. I haven't got my system together yet, but ultimately I want to perform live with a mix of soft synths and modular gear. So unless I end up getting something like Moon Modular's CV-MIDI module, it just seems like I'd normally be using the PC as the master clock. But never having tried that, I'm not sure what makes the most sense.

Actually one module that could do both would be awesome hihi

I do this in a roundabout fashion with Volta. It works great and has become my standard setup now. Silent Way would work too. I only suggest this since you're wanting to go hybrid anyway. I send 1/4, 1/8, 16th off beats, 16th on beats - whatever I want for that track to the modular via a (DC coupled) audio interface at the modular. You also have sync'd LFO's and a bunch of other cool options...
Just remembered I already posted all this here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9046
This method isn't technically multiplying anything but gives the same result in practice.

I'm using a hardware switcher in this video with the above method. Some good examples of switching to a doubled clock around 3 minutes in:
Percy Hammersledge
I was actually doing this before Volta came out just using a short audio pulse sample in Digital Performer. More info here if this interests you (it's long):
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28737

Another variation would be to send a fast series of pulses as above, say 32nd notes and then use a hardware divider from there.
Peake
Couldn't a PIC of some sort be used to do multiple multiplications of a constant square wave clock signal? (input, x2 out, x3 out, etc.)

Or even an oscillator in soft synch...multiples, to a point, of the input frequency, in phase.
kindredlost
Yes a square (or even better - a pulse) waveform can be used with an inverter or some other device to split the positive and negative edges for double time. The pulse can be voltage controlled for swing time too.

Here is a good example off of YouTube. Admittedly it is DotCom heavy, but the same basic modules could be used in most any modular system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teKVWAaG2G0

-David
Spiked Lunch
kindredlost wrote:
Yes a square (or even better - a pulse) waveform can be used with an inverter or some other device to split the positive and negative edges for double time. The pulse can be voltage controlled for swing time too.

Here is a good example off of YouTube. Admittedly it is DotCom heavy, but the same basic modules could be used in most any modular system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teKVWAaG2G0

-David

Yeah, I've done that before to set up a very basic drum sequence.....

boom, tsh, boom, tsh, boom, tsh, boom, tsh, boom, tsh oops
emdot_ambient
doctorvague wrote:
I do this in a roundabout fashion with Volta. It works great and has become my standard setup now. Silent Way would work too...

Cool. That's very helpful. I'm planning on making a Silent Way AC Encoder breakout box so I can used a non-DC coupled audio interface.

Hybrid's definitely where I want to go so I can do polyphonic pads, percs and M-Tron or other sampled stuff from the PC, and MIDI some of my old hardware.

Quote:
I'm using a hardware switcher in this video with the above method. Some good examples of switching to a doubled clock around 3 minutes in:
Percy Hammersledge

thumbs up Awesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1