MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro Oakley Lag ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Euro Oakley Lag ?
krisp14u
Having just finished a Oakley Lag in Euro format with the power ribbon soldered to the board I thought it wouldn’t be too bad doing a run for the Euro crowd but first i am in need some feed back
1. is there a need for a simple but accurate Lag in the Euro format
2. would any of you mind the power ribbon soldered to the board
3. Would you all want silver face plates?
4. and would you be willing to stump up the 50 GBP

If you have any thing else that has relevance to this pleas chime in
flts
krisp14u wrote:
1. is there a need for a simple but accurate Lag in the Euro format

Seems like there might be! Lots of people are complaining how Doepfer (and possibly some other) slew limiters cause CV to get scaled badly so they're bad for portamento ... I don't know if the complaint has been about lin or log slew limiters, but apparently Oakley has accurate lin mode at least.

There's Livewire Dual Bissell which seems to do pretty much the same, has two channels and variable lin-exp slope... I don't know how accurate it is for portamento duties but seems like a cool (AFAIR somewhat expensive though) module.

I'm not personally looking for one right now, but there seems to be a market.

Quote:
2. would any of you mind the power ribbon soldered to the board

I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as the ribbon is long enough for even deeper cases so that you don't get the situation where you have a fixed ribbon that isn't long enough.

Quote:
3. Would you all want silver face plates?

I think lots of people will want uniformity, I'd rather have different colour for every faceplate to get a funky looking system (hmm-mm, maybe I'll make an orange Wogglebug panel) but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority.

Quote:
4. and would you be willing to stump up the 50 GBP

That seems very reasonable in euros (about 60-65e). Don't know about dollars due to weak course, 50GBP should be around 90-100USD I think.
REwire
I don't like the idea of having the cable soldered to the board. I swap them out often when plugging into Asys cases. Also, they are not sturdy enough to not allow the ability to replace if broken.

Silver is the best color and looking at the Frac version you could get it down to 4hp or at least no larger than 6hp.

I currently use ASystems RS-350 Voltage Controlled Slew but wouldn't mind independent control of the rise and fall. Voltage control is real cool though and allows slides to be controlled like a 303 sequencer.
D/A A/D
I just pm'd you about this, I really want one!!!

And another vote for silver here.
Kwote
obviously i'm not a euro user but i think it's necessary. it's always good to have a super simple lag so you don't have to tie up more versatile modules like the VCS, etc.
chinard
krisp14u wrote:

Seems like there might be! Lots of people are complaining how Doepfer (and possibly some other) slew limiters cause CV to get scaled badly so they're bad for portamento ... I don't know if the complaint has been about lin or log slew limiters, but apparently Oakley has accurate lin mode at least.

Ok so its not just me then grin
I have been using the Lag processor off my mooger cp251 and found it brutal in regards to tuning offset. I was actually starting to suspect that there might be something wrong with it.

If that is the case then yes, i would have a need for a more accurate slew limiter if there isnt already ones out there that dont destroy your scaling when using it for portamento.
A switch for lin/expo would also be handy for those of us with a mix of hz/v anc oct/v equipment.
krisp14u
flts wrote:

The Oakley Lag Puts out what you put in so there is no deviation at all from the control voltage that you use only a smooth transition from one voltage to the other in ether lin or log.

REwire wrote:
I don't like the idea of having the cable soldered to the board. I swap them out often when plugging into Asys cases. Also, they are not sturdy enough to not allow the ability to replace if broken.

I was never too keen on this idea but having built one it’s not so bad and is the only way to do it

REwire wrote:
Silver is the best colour and looking at the Frac version you could get it down to 4hp or at least no larger than 6hp.

I think it would be a huge mistake on my part to go any other way but silver

D/A A/D wrote:
I just pm'd you about this, I really want one!!!

And another vote for silver here.

I will get to you on the PM and thanks for the silver vote

I have added some photos of the one I did for my customer

[/img]
dkcg
I would get one if anyone local in LA carries it.

Color makes no difference to me. But silver or black is probably best.
REwire
Real good idea making the screw holes rectangular. I wish all modular makers did that; only other being Cwejman. Makes it easy to line things up esp. if ASys modules are mixed in.
krisp14u
Ok so I think this will be a go but not until next year as I need to build up some financial stability before I indulge in another run of moduels
BugBrand
I'm not in the market - but how's about making a little PCB that converts Frac style 0.156" power pins to euro 10pin IDC - I kind of think someone's already maybe done that...??...
wetterberg
how deep is the pcb? a lot of time these previous motm or frac devices are >10 cm which rules out a lot of Doepfer users.
krisp14u
wetterberg wrote:
how deep is the pcb? a lot of time these previous motm or frac devices are >10 cm which rules out a lot of Doepfer users.

The lag PCB is under 5cm so it should fit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1