MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Very strange issue with Animoo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Very strange issue with Animoo
jsicp
Wanted to see if anyone had any idea what might be causing this very strange problem...
I bought an Animoo from Rex in 2012. It's worked fine but a few weeks ago the oscillators suddenly went completely haywire, drifting all over the place. The oscillators even drift in response to my WAVING MY ARM IN FRONT OF THE UNIT(!).
I'm completely mystified...any ideas of what might be behind this odd issue?
revtor
Bad/corroded ground connection somewhere perhaps. Sounds Like the whole panel or chassis is acting like an antenna.

Taking the panel off the boat is easy and you could look for a loose wire or pot..

Steve
djs
Normally people pay extra for the "Theremin mod".

I agree with the "antenna" theory...check the grounds on it.
jsicp
Brought the unit over to an engineer friend's place and he tested the grounds on the power source and on the two molex cables coming out of the Animoo. No issues there. Then we opened it up and took a look around. Didn't see anything out of sorts but perhaps it'd be best to open it up and look around again. Here's the very strange part though (and I should have mentioned this in my initial post) - the problem seemed to go away at his place. But back at my apartment, the Animoo goes nuts. I checked all my power strips and outlets and everything's fine there. The other synths operate fine too. Even the other Serge panels I have seem to be OK. But the Animoo acts weird...
jsicp
PS Thanks for the comments!
djs
When you say you tested the power strips and outlets at home, what did you do?
jsicp
Used a newly acquired meter (this stuff is new to me but slowly learning about it) for these tests:

1. Measured AC volts between hot and neutral on as many outlets and outlet strips as I could: Between 120-122 everywhere.

2. Repeated for hot and ground: 120-122 everywhere. Furman rack power conditioner 122-123.

3. Measured AC volts between ground pins on 2 different outlets and measured DC volts too on the lowest range: Slightly tricky to test because the outlets were far apart, but the ones I could test were 0V for both AC and DC.

5. Unplugged strips and measured resistance from each of the plug prongs to the corresponding hole on the outlet strip: This reading tended to jump around a lot if I moved at all, but for the most part settled close to 0 ohms.
djs
Do you get any improvement if you ground the front panel? I mean by this by electrically connecting the panel to something else metal that is grounded to the AC main ground. Maybe another module in your setup, or a synth that has a metal case?

Note- you probably already know this, but please be careful when playing around with mains AC (120v)... bad things can happen
jsicp
Hmm would grounding the power supply of the Animoo to the power supply of another Serge panel accomplish this? I've grounded the Animoo power supply to my Soup Kitchen's power supply, but still get insanity from Animoo...

Thanks for the warning. I'm trying to be very careful as I get into these meter readings...
djs
Not necessarily, because the panel may not be directly grounded to the PSU. Not familiar with the serge design enough to know if Rex does this or not.

Second question- can you swap boats for the Animoo, or run it outside of the boat (i.e. not sitting in it)?
christie
Does the same behavior happen on different outlets at home?

There are cheap ground fault indicator tester plugs you can get from the hardware store or amazon that have three LEDs that tell you whether a given outlet has correct polarity and is properly grounded.

I'd give one of this a try, especially if the animoo behaves differently on different outlets at home
trax
This is a "common" problem with the Animoo. The animoo is fine.

Its a combination of RF and shitty old power in your house. (my guess is that you live in an apartment. - and my 2ed guess is that you live in a big city with lots of NSA fake cell phone towers.

With my research I would guess that you have ‘dirt box’ surveillance near your home.

https://www.aclu.org/map/stingray-tracking-devices-whos-got-them

https://www.revealnews.org/article/chicago-and-los-angeles-have-used-d irt-box-surveillance-for-a-decade/

Back in 2014 I helped trubble shoot an issue with one.

Its all documented here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116246&highlight=

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113144&highlight=

search user: Federico
key words: animoo antenna

thumbs up
jsicp
Wow...incredible!
I do indeed live in an apartment (two floors below the roof) and in a city (NYC).
It is a relief to hear I'm not the only one who has had this problem.
I sent Federico a PM to see if he could put me in touch with his tech.
Thanks to all of you for your comments!
jsicp
Oh and yes the same thing happens on other outlets in different rooms in my apartment...

In terms of swapping boats...I will have to look into that.
trax
jsicp wrote:
city (NYC).

Yep. NYC this is DRT. I will let you speculate (in a non-political way of course) why your animoo worked perfect a month ago and all the sudden is freaking out.

the good stuff is not on the url....but just use google.

http://www.drti.com/

Be safe. And oh....get one of these:

http://tunnelcase.com/tunnel/

thumbs up
syncretism
trax wrote:
Back in 2014 I helped trubble shoot an issue with one.

Its all documented here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116246&highlight=

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113144&highlight=

search user: Federico
key words: animoo antenna

thumbs up

I fuckin' love this guy, straight-up. ^^
sopresada
Wow, pretty crazy bug there.

If I was you I'd make an album utilising the effects those signals have on your Serge and accrue yerself some conceptual kudos, a la:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iYDiFQ4-E
sopresada
"Our thanks to the homeland security apparatus of the USA for making these recordings possible."
syncretism
I will say that I have encountered this behavior, as well; to the best of my knowledge, it didn't happen until I brought a Creature v1 into the mix. Both the Creature and the Animal panels have an SSG. Might be no relation, there.
jsicp
ha! good idea sopresada.

syncretism - did you ever find a solution or was it just when you brought your Serge elsewhere?
MindMachine
jsicp wrote:
Wanted to see if anyone had any idea what might be causing this very strange problem...
I bought an Animoo from Rex in 2012. It's worked fine but a few weeks ago the oscillators suddenly went completely haywire, drifting all over the place. The oscillators even drift in response to my WAVING MY ARM IN FRONT OF THE UNIT(!).
I'm completely mystified...any ideas of what might be behind this odd issue?

I'm looking at your avatar. Are you sure all of your instruments don't behave this way maybe? Mr. Green

I had some weird cross modulation sort of thing going with no patch cords once in my fathers old house built in the 1920's. A couple of weeks later it was fine. Tinfoil Hat

Good luck getting it straight. But likely is old power gremlins.
jsicp
Just thought I'd post an update because it's so odd:
I sent the Animoo and power supply back to Rex. He tested them up and down and found nothing wrong. Sent it back to me and...still doesn't behave in my apartment.
Sadly, it's the world's most expensive paperweight for me now...
jsicp
To update - nothing's improved.
It's only the oscillator modules that act bizarre though.
Had a fellow Serge owner bring his Blue Voice over yesterday and the oscillators went crazy. So it's not just mine...
The sine wave on my frequency shifter however is quite stable...
gruebleengourd
I lived in a NYC apartment for a year that seemed like it would be perfect for a home studio. Unfortunately, it was an old pre-war building with ancient electrical, and there was a cell tower on the roof -- right above my apartment.
It wrecked total havoc much of my equipment, and I was never able to record there without high levels of noise.

Moved to a different apartment and everything was fine.

It needn't be a stringray that interferes. Plain old cell towers and lousy electrical will do the same thing.
MindMachine
jsicp wrote:
To update - nothing's improved.
It's only the oscillator modules that act bizarre though.
Had a fellow Serge owner bring his Blue Voice over yesterday and the oscillators went crazy. So it's not just mine...
The sine wave on my frequency shifter however is quite stable...

So it was power gremlins after all. Glad you stuck to it though. They are beautiful machines.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2