MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oscillatoscope2b
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Oscillatoscope2b
MATSmile

::ABOUT
It can convert CV and audio signals into video and audio.
It works by changing the frequency of oscillators that are synced to a VGA sync generator.
The signal that is generated is output as audio on a mini jack connector, and as video on the VGA connector.

::CONNECTION

inputs:
- cv in for R,G,B pitch (starve)
- high gain audio in for R,G,B pitch (starve)
- cv in for sync horizontal
- cv in for sync vertical
- VGA out 640x480 60hz (actual resolution is that of the screen itself, because it is a analog signal)
- power in +)- 7.5v DC

outputs:
- audio out
- vertical sync out
- USB 5v out (only for use with VGA to HDMI converter shown in image on my website)

::CONTROLS

pots:
- R,G,B pitch (starve)
- R pitch
- G pitch
- B pitch
- sync horizontal
- sync vertical

switches:
- R horizontal/vertical
- G horizontal/vertical
- B horizontal/vertical
FetidEye
I've seen a demo with the prototype (+ played with it myself)
It is really awesome!

found a video:
johyde
Looks great!

> VGA out 640x480 60hz (actual resolution is that of the screen itself, because it is a analog signal)

- I don't really understand that part?
FetidEye
I think that the screen converts the input to its own native resolution
correct me if i'm wrong
glia
these are nice
tenshun
I just put together the kit the other day. A really easy kit with not that many components.

I need to get a adaptor to convert vga to composite in order to record into my video capture device.

The colors are bright and vivid when i connected it to my projector. It also makes a cool effects pedal too!
maggan
tenshun wrote:
I just put together the kit the other day. A really easy kit with not that many components.

I need to get a adaptor to convert vga to composite in order to record into my video capture device.

The colors are bright and vivid when i connected it to my projector. It also makes a cool effects pedal too!

Cool! I've build some gieskes-stuff and they are all very well explained with pictures and stuff. Looking forward to order and build this as well. I think I will convert the vga too (composite I could do or component just for the capture card).
muckmires
Gijs's stuff is amazing, I built this as well as the 3trinsRGB1C, and together it is an AMAZING video generation machine!
Marizu
johyde wrote:
> VGA out 640x480 60hz (actual resolution is that of the screen itself, because it is a analog signal)

- I don't really understand that part?

I think that he means that a CRT VGA screen, the horizontal sweep of the screen is continuous. If you put a ramped voltage in to R, G or B, then you would get a continuous increase in intensity for that colour as the electron beam moves from left to right.
The only "pixels" involved would be the phosphor pixels on the CRT itself.
The nominal 640 pixel horizontal resolution is not enforced in any way. There is no quantizing to these 640 pixel positions.
The vertical resolution is fixed, because each of the horizontal lines begins at one of 480 fixed positions.

I don't exactly know how this translates to LCD panel displays. I don't know whether a 640x480 frame buffer is filled and then displayed (which would limit to resolution to 640x480). It could be different for different manufacturers or driver chipsets.

I haven't got a CRT at the moment and I'm a bit wary of connecting my homebrew circuits to my main TV.
arnoux
Nice!

I was looking for something like this and stumbled on this thread.

I was experimenting plugging my OP-1 directly into my Roland V4 but, how long the patterns are cool in some settings, sometimes it looses sync (for lack of better terms) providing an extreme stroboscopic effect, making the performance annoying. Pity.

As long as I need to go composite for my mixer, can something cheap like this work to convert the signal and provide stable sync from Oscillatoscope to V4?

Thanks in advance for your time,

F
glia
arnoux wrote:
Nice!

I was looking for something like this and stumbled on this thread.

I was experimenting plugging my OP-1 directly into my Roland V4 but, how long the patterns are cool in some settings, sometimes it looses sync (for lack of better terms) providing an extreme stroboscopic effect, making the performance annoying. Pity.

As long as I need to go composite for my mixer, can something cheap like this work to convert the signal and provide stable sync from Oscillatoscope to V4?

Thanks in advance for your time,

F

Might depend on your signal but last I checked with my experiments...that will not maintain clean/stable sync
FetidEye
you need a VGA to composite converter box. (a powered circuit)
can be found cheap , for 10 - 40 euro on ebay

make sure it converts from VGA to Composite, instead of the other way around

arnoux
glia and FetidEye thanks for your time,

super cool then, looks easy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1