MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[NAMM] DSI Prophet REV2 16 voice analog poly
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author [NAMM] DSI Prophet REV2 16 voice analog poly
drowld

beedeesmith wrote:
Clarification: $1499 for 8 voice, 1999 for 16 voice version.

Edit:deeemn because news and edit and newss Dead Banana
dubnspace
that's clearly a 'R' not a P. Besides Poly Evolver wasn't shortened as PEV, it was shortened as PEK (poly evolver keyboard) and PER (poly evolver rack).
Also REV 2 is surely a nod to the Prophet 5 Rev 2. Betting this one has the new filter he designed for the Pro2 and Prophet 6 that was based on the SSM in the P5 Rev 2.
drowld
dubnspace wrote:
that's clearly a 'R' not a P. Besides Poly Evolver wasn't shortened as PEV, it was shortened as PEK (poly evolver keyboard) and PER (poly evolver rack).
Also REV 2 is surely a nod to the Prophet 5 Rev 2. Betting this one has the new filter he designed for the Pro2 and Prophet 6 that was based on the SSM in the P5 Rev 2.

Yeh but there is no "sequential" on the box
looks like it is a prophet 8 rev2
This is fun!
gosh
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/rev2/

New 16 voice analogue...
DSC
Pretty cool, but for the money, I think I would just add a desktop version of the P6 or OB6 to either of my P6 keyboard or OB6 keyboard and have 12 voices. That is more than enough for me!
spudboyblues
http://soundcloud.com/davesmithinstruments/sets/rev2-sound-demos

Pretty. Sweeeeeeet.
drowld
spudboyblues wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/davesmithinstruments/sets/rev2-sound-demos

Pretty. Sweeeeeeet.

waw it sound pretty good
as always i'm waiting a desktop version.
Hopefully not as the p12 but as the p6 diminished version
steffengrondahl
DSC wrote:
Pretty cool, but for the money, I think I would just add a desktop version of the P6 or OB6 to either of my P6 keyboard or OB6 keyboard and have 12 voices. That is more than enough for me!

Have you seen a price? Official news say $XXX (does it mean $999?):
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/2017/01/rev2-16-voice-poly-synth/
and (my highlighting)
Quote:
As Dave Smith puts it, “The Prophet ’08 has been a real road warrior for 10 years now and people still love it. But we felt it was time to update it with new technology and new features and, at the same time, lower its cost.”
If true then Wow!
(That said I just bought an OB-6 and though the good specs for the Rev 2, I definitively do not regret)
rowsbywoof
Wow. Sounds great. Good price too, if it hits at $1999. Second hand market could see these going at used P12 module levels! Holy crap, that's impressive.
spudboyblues
Matrix Synth says:

Ships April 2017 with a MAP of $1499.
beedeesmith
Clarification: $1499 for 8 voice, 1999 for 16 voice version.
Hazium
applause

I love the Pro 08 so much I sold my OB-6. This is great news.
Heavenly3lues
I was actually considering selling my beloved Prophet 08 to help fund a new handpan/hang drum (my main instrument) that is coming next month. I've been waiting on a waiting list several years. Now this REV2. I'm letting it go... Gonna get a REV2 in a year or so! I've actually wanted to get a P08 module and poly chain them for 16 voices, but now I can get a REV2 for just a bit more than I would have spent on that combo. Anyone want a Prophet 08 keyboard?!? Rockin' Banana!
dumaisaudio
Looking forward to the P08 used prices to start dropping more in the next few months as this hits stores. Though I'm temped to jump on the 8-voice model, as I've been looking to get a P08 for a while, and this looks better.
Heavenly3lues
dumaisaudio wrote:
Looking forward to the P08 used prices to start dropping more in the next few months as this hits stores. Though I'm temped to jump on the 8-voice model, as I've been looking to get a P08 for a while, and this looks better.

Mine just dropped to a very nice price for a quick-ish sale... check the for-sale section. I'm definitely getting a REV 2. But... I have a handmade instrument being built right now that will be finished next month that I need the money for. Time to go Rockin' Banana!
dubonaire
dubnspace wrote:
Betting this one has the new filter he designed for the Pro2 and Prophet 6 that was based on the SSM in the P5 Rev 2.

Unfortunately no.
Heavenly3lues
dubonaire wrote:
dubnspace wrote:
Betting this one has the new filter he designed for the Pro2 and Prophet 6 that was based on the SSM in the P5 Rev 2.

Unfortunately no.

Same filter. It's essentially two Prophet 08's stuffed into the same housing with a few added features... and I love it cool The Prophet 08 is amazing. I don't entirely understand why it has so many haters out there hmmm..... The dry sound is a bit... ummm... dry, but if you throw a little reverb and delay on it, it really shines.
dubonaire
Heavenly3lues wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
dubnspace wrote:

Unfortunately no.

Same filter. It's essentially two Prophet 08's stuffed into the same housing with a few added features... and I love it cool The Prophet 08 is amazing. I don't entirely understand why it has so many haters out there hmmm..... The dry sound is a bit... ummm... dry, but if you throw a little reverb and delay on it, it really shines.

Not hating, I just don't really like the sound of the Curtis filter and would have loved this with the new filter.
Christopher Winkels
Heavenly3lues wrote:
I don't entirely understand why it has so many haters out there hmmm..... The dry sound is a bit... ummm... dry, but if you throw a little reverb and delay on it, it really shines.

Therein lies the problem. If a synth cries out for effects to make it interesting then its raw sound is lacking.

My experience was that there aren't enough points in the signal path to dirty up the sound and add harmonics. The "Audio Mod" knob added only a bit of grit and sounded far too tame, and there should have been other opportunities by having cross-mod between the oscillators and by being able to drive the mix rather than just have a balance adjustment.

Even the hard sync sounded weird and flat to me and for some strange reason in certain octaves it caused a noticeable drop in volume that was unrelated to waveshape (i.e. I clearly wasn't driving pulse width on the slaved oscillator to zero).
Jason Brock
Great price for an 8 voice, and more knobs than the original. But I'll still be saving for an OB6 instead. Like some others have mentioned, I wasn't a fan of the Curtis filters in the P08 or Evolver.
Sir Ruff
Heavenly3lues wrote:
The Prophet 08 is amazing. I don't entirely understand why it has so many haters out there hmmm..... The dry sound is a bit... ummm... dry, but if you throw a little reverb and delay on it, it really shines.

I think you just explained why. Any synth that requires effects to "shine" is not an inherently good sounding synth.

Anyway, snore... Dave is clearly still finding ways to get rid of those thousands of CEM chips he bought with another uninspired synth. Can't wait to see what he comes up with once he's cleared the stockpile meh
kirkwoodwest
I hope they make a desktop version with this... will be perfect along side the ob-6.
thevegasnerve
I vote applause for this one. Really glad they made this upgrade to the Prophet 08, always loved the sound and form factor. The Curtis filter is not the most impressive thing by itself if you wanted to process other sounds (thinking Evolver), but DSI/Sequential knows how to make nice sounding synths and the sum is always greater with their products from my experience. Love the Dreadbox and Moog stuff, but everything cant be so heavy sounding all the time, doesn't work in the mixing stage.
GuyaGuy
Sir Ruff wrote:
Heavenly3lues wrote:
The Prophet 08 is amazing. I don't entirely understand why it has so many haters out there hmmm..... The dry sound is a bit... ummm... dry, but if you throw a little reverb and delay on it, it really shines.

I think you just explained why. Any synth that requires effects to "shine" is not an inherently good sounding synth.

Anyway, snore... Dave is clearly still finding ways to get rid of those thousands of CEM chips he bought with another uninspired synth. Can't wait to see what he comes up with once he's cleared the stockpile meh

I don't know what you're waiting for in terms of a synth that is inspired but this is probably the most robust analog poly synth engine out there--2 osc with waveshaping + sub, 8x mod matrix for almost-modular routing, 2 EGs + 1 routable EG, 16x4 seq + 64 step seq, 16 fucking voices, etc. I mean it doesn't shoot lasers when you hit a key but overall it's a pretty impressive improvement on an already extremely inspired synth.
GuyaGuy
thevegasnerve wrote:
I vote applause for this one. Really glad they made this upgrade to the Prophet 08, always loved the sound and form factor. The Curtis filter is not the most impressive thing by itself if you wanted to process other sounds (thinking Evolver), but DSI/Sequential knows how to make nice sounding synths and the sum is always greater with their products from my experience. Love the Dreadbox and Moog stuff, but everything cant be so heavy sounding all the time, doesn't work in the mixing stage.

Yeah I find the sort of brassy flavor of the filter to be perfect for poly sounds. It makes it less ideal for big bottomed bass but ideal for pads, evolving patches, leads, and ambience.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6