MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Teenage Engineering OP-Z
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Teenage Engineering OP-Z
geremyf
I like the concept. It makes sense to leverage the phone screen which is constantly being upgraded. The op-1 has been around for a while but hasn't had its hardware updated. It must be getting difficult to purchase the screen part now. Provides more longevity for the new device as well as better battery life. The site mentions that it can get greater than 24 hours of use on a charge.

What I don't get is that they talk about the tactile-ness of the base unit when all the buttons are shaped exactly the same and there are less buttons than the op-1!?

They also state that for latency concerns all of the synthesis engines run simultaneously on the op-z unit and on the iPad/iPhone? Then I'm wondering what the point of the unit itself is now, other than a fancy (not so tactile) controller.

I hope I'm way off base and the concept still appeals....
Bonefish67
geez, i might have to break down and finally buy an ipad evil ......on a side note though, i see that you can also pair this up with some lego kits to automate it.....that should be some fun.....
spacessound
DMX control too! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Paranormal Patroler
Pase
Me want... Chugging Beers
apcnt
Just decided to finally buy an OP-1. Now this news put me off.

OP-Z sequencer looks really nice. But no sample capabilites i guess...?

And how much independent midi sequences would the Z be able to output?

To much speculation to compare the 2 anyway.
gentle_attack
apcnt wrote:
Just decided to finally buy an OP-1. Now this news put me off.

OP-Z sequencer looks really nice. But no sample capabilites i guess...?

And how much independent midi sequences would the Z be able to output?

To much speculation to compare the 2 anyway.

I don't think this overlaps with the OP-1 at all. The OP-1 is one of the most amazing little devices conceivable. No screen + requires iPad = not for me. I have a work provided iPad for work, but man are they overpriced for what they are.
GovernorSilver
I agree!

OP-1 is a cute little workstation (with surprising power/potential for those willing to explore).

OP-Z is another thing. More of a complementary device than a true "replacement".
h4ndcrafted
I thought he said it didn't require iPad, obviously this is going to make it a million times more intuitive, but it has LEDs. I could be wrong though.
machetemirage
From the new info page:

"OP-Z is a completely stand-alone synthesizer and composer, ready to to be used at anytime and anywhere, "
GovernorSilver
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I thought he said it didn't require iPad, obviously this is going to make it a million times more intuitive, but it has LEDs. I could be wrong though.

No, you're right, they have stated that no IOS device is required.
justscratch
Trevor l
Expected price quoted by sweetwater is US 599 Dollars. I'm gutted! So if true the price will be roughly 680 euro in Europe.
LameAim
So was there any new video or coverage of the OP-Z at NAMM this year? I'm not seeing anything on YouTube...
thelizard
Anyone notice the four yellow jacks at the top of the updated OP-Z image? Sweetwater also lists "Sequencing for MIDI, CV/Trig...".

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OPZ
rean1mator
Not sure where you are getting your pricing from but I spoked to my Sweetwater sales engineer and he said no pricing yet from TE.

Trevor l wrote:
Expected price quoted by sweetwater is US 599 Dollars. I'm gutted! So if true the price will be roughly 680 euro in Europe.
GovernorSilver
thelizard wrote:
Anyone notice the four yellow jacks at the top of the updated OP-Z image? Sweetwater also lists "Sequencing for MIDI, CV/Trig...".

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OPZ

Official page also mentions CV.

But there's only two connectors - USB and 3.5mm jack. Hm...

Double hmm... there's a dupe thread - or is this one the dupe of the other?
rean1mator
Synthtopia is stating $599 price for the OP-Z here:
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/02/14/teenage-engineering-op-z -coming-in-may-for-599/

referencing "some" retailers listing it at that price. there's link to the retailer which is bh photo but they are not listing the price any longer.

If it is that's a great price. I vaguely remember prices were thought to be near $1500 or something crazy.
Kernelkunt
rean1mator wrote:
Synthtopia is stating $599 price for the OP-Z here:
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/02/14/teenage-engineering-op-z -coming-in-may-for-599/

referencing "some" retailers listing it at that price. there's link to the retailer which is bh photo but they are not listing the price any longer.

If it is that's a great price. I vaguely remember prices were thought to be near $1500 or something crazy.

Actually, TE themselves stated they were hoping to hit a price point around 300$.
gentle_attack
Maybe there will be an OP-LAB2 featuring non-Abandonware (tm) and powered by EA and the call pf duty 4 engine.

I still want an oplab for my 0P-1!!
@realwiggler
This thing looks like a pretty deep beast, it'll be great to have something this portable do multiple cv/trig's too
gentle_attack
Kinda holding out hope that there's gonna be a OP-LAB2 that's compatible with my OP-1

I'd love to sequence my 0-Coast without needing the USB host situation (I mean I know the OP-LAB was a USB host, but I want that one stop shop).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2