MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Teenage Engineering OP-Z
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Teenage Engineering OP-Z
Paranormal Patroler

https://teenageengineering.com/products/op-z_preview

eek!

thelizard
This is exciting, but I really hope that it doesn't require iOS for the screen. I vaguely remember at last year's NAMM that this had an HDMI port on it, but now I'm not seeing that in the specs.

Two reasons. First, I don't have an iPhone. I have an iPad, but I don't want to carry that around and set it up every time that I want to use this. Android compatibility would be nice for those of us with Android phones. Second, future-proofing. Having a direct video output without reliance on an app means that an OS update won't completely wreck your ability to use this visually. Depending on iOS is a nightmare, as OS updates constantly break existing apps.

EDIT: Another thought: one of the great aspects of the OP-1 was the lack of battery anxiety. Linking the usage of this to your phone is not quite as comforting, especially on long flights where you definitely need your phone to be alive when you arrive at your destination.
stalfosia
wow... this thing looks amazing!
Let's hear the demos
Hainbach
thelizard wrote:
This is exciting, but I really hope that it doesn't require iOS for the screen. I vaguely remember at last year's NAMM that this had an HDMI port on it, but now I'm not seeing that in the specs.

Two reasons. First, I don't have an iPhone. I have an iPad, but I don't want to carry that around and set it up every time that I want to use this. Android compatibility would be nice for those of us with Android phones. Second, future-proofing. Having a direct video output without reliance on an app means that an OS update won't completely wreck your ability to use this visually. Depending on iOS is a nightmare, as OS updates constantly break existing apps.

EDIT: Another thought: one of the great aspects of the OP-1 was the lack of battery anxiety. Linking the usage of this to your phone is not quite as comforting, especially on long flights where you definitely need your phone to be alive when you arrive at your destination.

I agree 100%. Especially since Apple are on downward spiral.
casterbro
Looks good! Just ordered an OP-1 but OP-Z is tempting in his category SlayerBadger!
Paranormal Patroler
thelizard wrote:
This is exciting, but I really hope that it doesn't require iOS for the screen.

It does.
TimeRaveler
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
thelizard wrote:

It does.

They've said a screen is optional, although a lot of tweaking is probably easier with one.
samn
I am extremely excited about this. I hope it is flexible and somehow plays well with other gear. The unity integration sounds amazing.
shredsickgnar
I'm super excited about this but want to hear the sounds it makes and it's ability to edit/load sounds/samples.
Paranormal Patroler
TimeRaveler wrote:
thelizard wrote:

It does.

They've said a screen is optional, although a lot of tweaking is probably easier with one.

Doesn't really matter, second hand i-phones are very cheap as people go crazy for the new stuff. I don't even know the versions out there to be honest, but I'm positive I can score an older model, on which the app runs, and not pay much.

What I'm curious is if it's possible to go 16 tracks of MIDI and act as a sequencer for other stuff, with the crazy micro sequencing options, or if each track is tied to each sound/function. That would suck if it were the case.
Kernelkunt
Im interested. Im sure the sequencing will be interesting enough, But I will need to know more about the actual synthesis and sampling capabilities.

I got a feeling the actual sound generation might be a bit limited, but I hope Im wrong.
thelizard
TimeRaveler wrote:
thelizard wrote:

It does.

Doesn't really matter, second hand i-phones are very cheap as people go crazy for the new stuff. I don't even know the versions out there to be honest, but I'm positive I can score an older model, on which the app runs, and not pay much.

Unfortunately, the OP-Z requires an iOS device with Metal.

https://www.quora.com/Which-iOS-8-devices-support-Metal

This means iPhone 5S on up, iPad Air on up, and iPad Mini Retina on up.

It's not a total dealbreaker, but it's no longer an instabuy. I'm going to have to watch a lot of videos about its functionality without a screen and see if it expands to devices outside of iOS.
Paranormal Patroler
thelizard wrote:
iPhone 5S on up, iPad Air on up, and iPad Mini Retina on up.

Are those the latest models? I have no idea, sorry, not an Apple consumer. Still, this is coming Sept 2017, I'm positive Apple will have a new i-phone by then.
polyslax
thelizard wrote:

Are those the latest models? I have no idea, sorry, not an Apple consumer. Still, this is coming Sept 2017, I'm positive Apple will have a new i-phone by then.

5S ws released in 2013.
h4ndcrafted
Ah great haven't stopped thinking about this since last namm. Looks as if it could be a hell of a lot of fun if nothing else.

Sundays lost programming in bed with this thing and an iPad.
h4ndcrafted
polyslax wrote:
thelizard wrote:

5S ws released in 2013.

Nope, we are on iPhone 7 and there have been two gens of iPad , iPad Air 2 and pro. The pro was a bigger leap gen wise than previous iPads I think. My Air 1 is starting to feel a little old, prob won't do another O.S. upgrade. Apple likes to brick them after 3-4 updates, my iPad 2 battery and functionality was as good as new , 10-12 hrs still, but the latest O.S. has made it a paper weight.

So basically they are solid for about 3 O.S. major updates imo.

Sorry polyslax, I just meant to quote original question.
Paranormal Patroler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euuIJQHun1s

Sometimes I wonder why do they even bother announcing stuff so early. Is it to get feedback ? The OP-Z reads nice on paper but the video was extremely underwhelming.

"Sometimes this dude decides to dance, not this time" ... really? You go to a show with a device which is supposed to be able to do amazing sequencing and all you show is a guy who might decide to dance? Sheesh.

I want to like the OP-Z, I really do. But if it's this early into production then don't announce it (especially since this is the second time it's been announced). Just wait till it's done or till you have more stuff to show.
apcnt
https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z_preview

holy jeezes that sequencer sounds next level!

Still wondering about midi out and sampling capabilities...
apcnt

Sometimes I wonder why do they even bother announcing stuff so early. Is it to get feedback ? The OP-Z reads nice on paper but the video was extremely underwhelming.

"Sometimes this dude decides to dance, not this time" ... really? You go to a show with a device which is supposed to be able to do amazing sequencing and all you show is a guy who might decide to dance? Sheesh.

I want to like the OP-Z, I really do. But if it's this early into production then don't announce it (especially since this is the second time it's been announced). Just wait till it's done or till you have more stuff to show.

I agree, they should prepare demo's better. They've been working on this product for so long and when they finnaly tell people about it it's in this totally unorganized manner. Perhaps start with a basic overview with all the stuff it can do? The preview on their site makes up for it for now smile
cscairney
wow, this is real nice, fun and different looking. The Op-1 (though it never called my name) always fascinated me and this OP-Z, the cheesy graphics and all, brings a smile to my face. Excited to see what people will do with this thing!
wednesdayayay
I'm interested to see how the ortho knob plays into the op-z
Kujo
"OP-Z is a completely stand-alone synthesizer and composer, ready to to be used at anytime and anywhere, but for those of you who need that extra injection of vibrant graphics, interactive user interface and awesome synced animations to feel inspired, we introduce the concept of BYOS - bring your own screen."
mckenic
"screen when paired or connected to an ios device, the ios device will act as a screen for OP-Z.

ios appOP-Z ios app will be free to download from app store.

compatible with any ios device that is apple metal graphics specified."

Looks like my school laptop and Mac Mini might work... now to find a DL of iOS 8 somewhere...
[Edit] Of course my Mini or Laptop wont run iOS d'oh!
calaveras
Hainbach wrote:

Failing. Sad.
hihi

I'm total apple fanboy, but yeah. It kind of sucks to tie a musical instrument to one OS/device like that.
The Critter and Guitari Chordovox basicaly just uses a cortex CPU like you'd have in a mobile phone. And your can plug it up into an HDMI thinger for laffs.
Paranormal Patroler
calaveras wrote:
Hainbach wrote:

Failing. Sad.
hihi

I'm total apple fanboy, but yeah. It kind of sucks to tie a musical instrument to one OS/device like that.
The Critter and Guitari Chordovox basicaly just uses a cortex CPU like you'd have in a mobile phone. And your can plug it up into an HDMI thinger for laffs.

Maybe it's early and they'll change it soon afterwards ? When Kmix first came out there was no Windows support (no drivers) but we bitched about it and it became a reality. TE is not such a big company that it'll ignore people who want to buy an OP-z but can't because they don't own Apple products. I don't own an Apple product and I'd love to give this a try with a different device.

BYOlShit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2