MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel Plonk
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Author Intellijel Plonk
atrostor
"A Eurorack format module capable of creating a wide variety of complex and acoustically realistic percussive sounds."

https://intellijel.com/new-partnership-between-applied-acoustics-syste ms-and-intellijel/

Plonk features:

■ Resonator section models strings, beams, marimbas, drumheads, membranes, and plates.

■ Exciter section comprises a realistic mallet model and flexible noise source.

■ Two Voice Polyphonic at full resolution (24-bit 44.1Khz).

■ Pseudo multitimbrality via CV selectable presets recalled on each new trigger/gate.

■ Full parameter randomization possible.

■ All synthesis parameters can be assigned to the X and Y controls.

■ 128 presets that can be imported and exported via USB

■ 12 HP

■ MSRP $309

■ Release date Q2 2017
Conrad
Any sound demos up yet?
atrostor
Conrad wrote:
Any sound demos up yet?

Not that I know of but this is racked in their NAMM demo case (i.e. it's not just a concept) so I am sure we'll see something soon.
Daisuk
Looking forward to hearing this in action. Most exciting module to come out of NAMM so far, in my opinion. smile Here's the Chromaphone 2 in action from AAS, if that's anything to go by.

Conrad
At first glance, how does this compare to the rainmaker?
Geaux
rainmaker is a resonator/delay combo, so not similar at all?
atrostor
I'd say this is closer to Rings than anything else.
Conrad
Geaux wrote:
rainmaker is a resonator/delay combo, so not similar at all?

I suppose so. I've seen the rainmaker used for percussion duties similar to what I' imagine this would be good for. I thought the rainmaker used physical resonance modelling, somewhat similar to mutable rings? In that case the two modules would be a little more similar than they at first appear. However I'm sure the applications differ widely, and this will be much more at home in a rhythmic patch.
boom blip
Conrad wrote:

rainmaker is a complex delay that can create resonant sounds that go into the "pseudo physical modelling territory", this is a synth voice that emulates physical objects being struck?
wavecircle
It's a module/scaled down version of Chromaphone 2 I think. Nice idea, AAS stuff is great.

Based on the front panel, I think it might have lots of paging, menus. It would have to to get close to chromaphone.
Conrad
boom blip wrote:
Conrad wrote:

rainmaker is a complex delay that can create resonant sounds that go into the "pseudo physical modelling territory", this is a synth voice that emulates physical objects being struck?

Ok cool, thanks. I've been a little daunted by the depth and function of that module.
boramx
Daisuk wrote:
Here's the Chromaphone 2 in action from AAS, if that's anything to go by.

i'm loving these jam faces.

I am more interested in this than Rings. All those string sounds were kind of a bummer to me.

MOre interested in percussion modelling. So, lets hear about some of these parameters....how many per voice, how does two voice polyphony work etc....?
Zymos
The AAS VST's are some of the coolest out there, modeled sounds just feel more alive to me than samples.

Very excited about this one!
albiedamned
The big, complex, digital modules Intellijel has been releasing the last couple years really don't interest me at all. I know others love them, but they're not for me. Intellijel used to be my favorite Eurorack brand. I still have a bunch of their modules, but the only relatively new one I've purchased is Polaris (which is excellent, by the way).
LSuveg1
boramx wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Here's the Chromaphone

i'm loving these jam faces.

I didn't know jam faces existed in the world of VST demo vids, but I'm really glad that they do.

also: very excited for this module after watching that.
richc90
video info here:
richc90
$309
MATSmile
Rip Rings hihi
starthief
I always thought Rings sounded much better than Chromaphone myself. We'll see how Plonk sounds. smile

...also there's no audio input for Plonk, it looks like. So it's a very different beast.
samn
starthief wrote:
I always thought Rings sounded much better than Chromaphone myself. We'll see how Plonk sounds. smile

...also there's no audio input for Plonk, it looks like. So it's a very different beast.

yeah I was confused how people are comparing it to rings as it has no similar input
khiner
Yeah, seems very different from rings, other than having an exciter/resonator (physical modeling) core. As such, really only Rings, Elements and Plonk check that box in the eurorack space, but outside of eurorack it would be a little silly to see "physical modeling" and be like, oh, that's just like Ableton's Collision. There are arguably way more possibilities in this space than there are in the subtractive synth space, where we see each idea hundreds of times, with the most minor of tweaks to scratch the itch of a community that has trained their ears so much on a very specific subset of sonic possibilities.

But yeah, very different modules. They're similar in the same sense that Braids (at least most of its modes) is similar to something like the Mangrove - not very much, but in the same category of synthesis. Well, I guess even less similar, since Rings is a generator AND effect unit, whereas the Plonk is just a generator, while Braids and the Mangrove are both just generators.
rustyjaw
Looking forward to hearing more sound patch samples from Plonk. Curious if it has a range beyond the percussive sounds Danjiel (excuse me, 'Dan') demoed. But it's already on my watch-list of possible purchases.
brandnewmath
Yeah, Plonk seems more like the exciter section of Elements than it does Rings, which I think means Plonk will likely make an excellent input for Rings.
Geaux
Yeah, the only comparison here to rings is when its not used with any sort of external signals at all, though I suppose that seems like its the majority of its usage every time I here it.
L.C.O.
I wonder if it will recall device state after power cycle...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Page 1 of 29