MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Catalyst Audio Buchla 100 clones for Eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Catalyst Audio Buchla 100 clones for Eurorack
ym2612
Found this buried in the NAMM Euro thread, found it worthy of its own thread. Catalyst Audio are releasing clones of Buchla 100 modules for Eurorack. They're using the original schematics and discrete components. The first modules announced are:

Model 156 Control Voltage processor – It’s used as a front end for the oscillator.
Model 158 Dual Sine-Sawtooth Generator
Model 106 6 Channel Mixer
Model 180 Dual Attack Generator – operates as two envelopes.
Model 110 Quad Gate – essentially 4 VCAs.

I haven't seen Buchla 100 modules cloned before, aside from the fine work of a few of our DIY wigglers, so it will be nice for these to be available without heavy DIY work. I like the sound and personality of this old system. They're using the same panel art, shrunk down for 3U, plus Davies knobs. Minijacks, not bananas.
Mikeyg3k
Interested to know the price points of these.
lasesentaysiete
these excited me most from all of namm. 158 especially
Zube
Definitely very interested in these as well. 156. 158, and 180 all look cool.
abendrot
Very interested in those modules. Any idea when they will become available.
Price? Can't wait for the VCO the mixer and the gates.
Synesthesia
Is there any kind of licensing around this ?

Through hole is mentionned in the video ... will there be diy options ?
adolfgottmann
they look fantastic, not really conviced about the sound, though...maybe I'll wait for a proper demo video
I mean before mouthwatering
nectarios
Waiting for subsequent line in recordings. I had no idea about Buchla 100 and just googled them.

Insteresting. What is also interesting is that apparently the VCOs "don't track particularly well".
lasesentaysiete
nectarios wrote:

Insteresting. What is also interesting is that apparently the VCOs "don't track particularly well".

yeah, the crazy FMing makes up for it in the 158 smile
nectarios
lasesentaysiete wrote:
nectarios wrote:

yeah, the crazy FMing makes up for it in the 158 smile

Sure thing, although in crazy FM like that, I would not be able to tell if its a Buchla or any other dual VCO. Informative though as I learned about the 100 series that I did not know about and of course these are eurorack and discrete.

Waiting for more "tame" line in demos and of course, price.

I do think these look great.
/Buchla fanboi
maltemark
Cool FM sounds but not sure that it makes the older Buchla designs unique enough to trump what we already have.
lasesentaysiete
maltemark wrote:
Cool FM sounds but not sure that it makes the older Buchla designs unique enough to trump what we already have.

I agree, and I don't necessarily think its meant to be better than what's on offer right now. I equate my desire for these modules to the same type of fetishism that makes me want a Nava.
CatalystAudio
Hey guys and girls,
Just got home from NAMM and thought I would chime in here.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them.

Unfortunately I can't answer anything about price or availability yet, not because we are trying to be elusive about it, but simply because we are not far enough along in the process to have good estimates yet.

I will try to get some better and more "vanilla" demos up in the near future.
Flohr
Is the 110 vactrol based? Or did Don only start using vactrols on the later modules?

If you do a demo I think some folks, myself included, would like to see clean, relatively "tonal" (can be atonal but some sense of discrete pitches in sequence) and timbrally softer sounds first and then add the intense modulation and distortion etc.
coolshirtdotjpg
Synesthesia wrote:

Even if there is, fuck nu-BEMI. They ripped off buchla and his family aren't going to be making money off of it if they pay for the license.
mritenburg
Flohr wrote:
Is the 110 vactrol based? Or did Don only start using vactrols on the later modules.

Vactrols came with the 200 series, but an often overlooked fact is that the Subotnick 'bongo' sound was originally patched on the 100 series (listen to Silver Apples of the Moon). There is considerable mythology around vactrol low pass gates (292's, etc) being the key ingredient for 'Buchla bongos.' This is in fact not true. Subotnick did it without vactrols.
ryangaston
Super interested in these, especially the 158 (of course!). One of the gnarliest oscillators out there...glad to see it getting some attention on the Eurorack world, it's a treasure. Absolutely MEAN oscillator.

Great work Catalyst, will stay tuned! w00t
ym2612
I'm assuming these will be adapted for Euro signal levels? Buchla 100 runs at about 1.2RMS (I've read). What about control voltage standards? 0-5V or 0-10V?

These should pair well with Verbos' Harmonic Oscillator and Dual Four Pole, both of those being based in part on 100-series modules.
Flohr
mritenburg Interesting. Yeah I'm really confused by people who are saying they aren't interested in this. Silver Apples! Plus the one video I've watched of some guy at a university demonstrating a 100-series modular it sounded so haunting and beautiful. Obviously it's not about going for the most advanced and complexes possibilities, but rather attempting to capture the spirit of something really unique and hitherto unobtainium. I for one am quite interested in seeing how this develops.
moogboy
first and foremost, I think I love this line and kinda definitely want to get my hands on a set of them for myself.

That said, I used to lurk a lot on the Buchla subforum and when I saw this in the thread I was kinda confused. What I remember overwhelmingly from the 100 series threads is that the people who hadn't gotten to play with them thought they would be super cool but those with the experience weren't really into it. The cloners who had built them were wary of doing it again since they were more of a curiosity than 200 series clones. Sonically, most people were pretty negative about it. Like I said, I'm still kind of in love with these and simply cannot wait to con myself into buying them but I wanted to throw a little bit of the great Muff Wiggler hive mind's knowledge into play
ym2612
Sonic State visited the booth as well.

Synesthesia
Quote:

Synesthesia wrote:

Even if there is, fuck nu-BEMI. They ripped off buchla and his family aren't going to be making money off of it if they pay for the license.

Well, Bemi is one thing - but surelly Don's familly is another...right ? we have seen things done properly with the Haible modules by Random Source ( and even Serge) , or MFOS.
Surely they should get something out of this ?

CatalystAudio
Yes ! I have questions smile
- will there be DIY versions ? [/b]
abendrot
I hope Schneider Laden in Europe will also stock them.
mritenburg
Synesthesia wrote:
Quote:

Synesthesia wrote:

Well, Bemi is one thing - but surelly Don's familly is another...right ? we have seen things done properly with the Haible modules by Random Source ( and even Serge) , or MFOS.
Surely they should get something out of this ?

CatalystAudio
Yes ! I have questions :)
- will there be DIY versions ? [/b]

CBS musical instruments held the rights to the 100 series. At one time CBS also owned the Fender brand and the Steinwsy brand. CBS sold off their music instrument division at one point, so at best, it's unclear who actually holds the rights to the 100 series. It's not BEMI and most likely not the Buchla family. Would it be cool to pay the Buchla family a license fee for using the 100 series schematics and panel designs? Sure, it would be cool, but they may not actually be entitled to those fees. So it's a tricky question.
ym2612
Yep. As these modules are both unobtainium and 'abandonware,' I see no reason for these releases not to exist, especially considering the format switch.

I'll be interested to see what modules come after the first batch. The lack of density in some of the modules - dual random voltage source, dual ring mod, white noise generator - is out of step for current Euro fashion, but it'd be cool to see them either way. Here's hoping for the timing pulse generator and a touch controller.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9