MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KeyStep Controller!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author KeyStep Controller!
seditionary
Who else loves this controller for your 5U system?

Not to seem like an ad, but if you don't know about this controller... worth checking out.

I was using a regular midi controller before... and the fact that the keystep outputs pitch/gate (& mod), has been awesome... I'll still run a midi cable into a midiDAC for extra controls... but wow, keeps me from having to use multiples for pitch sometimes, because I have two easy pitch outputs that way, etc... Gate out of the controller right into the envelope... pretty cool.

Have been playing with this sequencer too, which is kinda limited, but has been fun as a bonus.

This controller has me playing my 5U system a lot more... and now making me want to even expand my system... dang. Dead Banana
polykobol
+1! cool

But I believe the BeatStep Pro is even better. I'm waiting for a KeyStep Pro...
defutura
Looks interesting, did you try the arpeggiator?

And how is the build quality on this thing?
oootini
just got one of these, build quality seems good, and feature-wise, this is a very immediate and playable controller. thumbs up.
MrTurboparrot
had one for about 8 weeks. Some guidelines:

Pros:
- strong build. reinforced aluminium base. Fair weight.
- Keys feel excellent for the price
- Lots of patchability and software allows tweaking outputs allocations

Cons
- USB connector as crap as the beatstep pro. AVOID. I'm using DC power socket. Do not go near the USB connector if you can help it!
- cannot transpose arpeggiated chords, or memorise in arp mode
- no swing (no big deal)
oootini
MrTurboparrot wrote:
had one for about 8 weeks. Some guidelines:

Pros:
- strong build. reinforced aluminium base. Fair weight.
- Keys feel excellent for the price
- Lots of patchability and software allows tweaking outputs allocations

Cons
- USB connector as crap as the beatstep pro. AVOID. I'm using DC power socket. Do not go near the USB connector if you can help it!
- cannot transpose arpeggiated chords, or memorise in arp mode
- no swing (no big deal)

there is swing. it's right there on the front panel.
MrTurboparrot
d'oh!

of course, was thinking of something else. Cheers
suitandtieguy
I have 2!
Rex Coil 7
Just took delivery. Really very fun controller, and easy peasy to work with!

MrTurboparrot wrote:

Pros:
- strong build. reinforced aluminium base.
.... reinforced STEEL base ... checked with a magnet, magnets don't stick to aluminum.

MrTurboparrot wrote:
... Keys feel excellent for the price ..
Well, I don't know about "excellent" but they're usable, more so than many small units that have total crap-ass keys. Those types of things (Roland, I'm talking to you) should just be some sort of plastic pads, like what are used on some of the Micro-Controllers Korg makes. Don't even bother with making them little keys, just a set of small plastic pads would be far less embarrassing. That said, these Keystep keys are certainly a step up above some of the crapola used by other makers. Since they're shaped more like piano keys (rather than buck-standard diving board synth style keys) they feel more rigid and not so flexy or like they'll break off any second. Velocity curve is livable as well. Page #63 of the PDF manual says both the Velocity curve and Aftertouch curve have three chocies, via the configuration sofware. Sustain pedal, Hold button, Mod "wheel" and Pitch "wheel" may all be assigned to the CC# of choice, as well as MIDI channel of choice. Nice. The Sustain pedal may also be reconfigured with both High Max and Low Min levels. More nice. The 71 page PDF manual is very helpful.

MrTurboparrot wrote:
... USB connector as crap as the beatstep pro. AVOID. I'm using DC power socket. Do not go near the USB connector if you can help it!
... I fully expected to be confronted with that, however the one that arrived here has a very tight fitting, confidence inspiring USB connection. Perhaps Arturia addressed this?

MrTurboparrot wrote:
... cannot transpose arpeggiated chords, or memorise in arp mode
Of all the keyboards I have owned since 1977 there has only been one that would do either of those tricks, that would be the Alesis Micron. Think about what transposing an arpeggio would entail ... an arpeggimatator responds to key presses ... once an arpeggio is created (even with it latched or "held") if you press another key, it will simply do what it is designed to do .... which is arpeggiate that next note (either added to the existing pattern or over-writing it with the new note). So before it can transpose an arpeggio it must convert that arpeggio to a sequence. The sole synth of my complete accumulation of synths over the last 40 years that had that ability was the Micron. It would (on command) convert a given arpeggio to a sequence, then you could transpose that sequence, and even convert it back to an arpeggio again should you wish to change that pattern on the run (just as arpeggiators do).

I tried using the Keystep in arpeggio mode to transpose a sequence in the Beatstep Pro ... this worked great. They'll be a really useful pair.

One of the things I really loved about the Arturia Microbrute is it's step sequencer. The Keystep has pretty much the same step sequencer, the difference being it is polyphonic. Yup, polyphonic. A few operational improvements were also added, which make it an even better step sequencer. 8 sequence memory slots, with 64 steps per sequence. You may step record or realtime record ... your choice. Ties and rests are easily done as well. The ~Tie~ function will hopefully work in concert with the legato portamento function of the Kenton Pro2000MkII I recently took in. Won't that be a treat!!

Swing Percentage and Gate Time are ridiculously simple to access and change on the run without any timing glitching or hiccups.

Presently, I've only used it with a Yamaha TG500 via the MIDI output, but I'm pleased with all of it so far.

suitandtieguy wrote:
I have 2!
Completely understandable! I would guess putting one in ARP mode and using it to transpose the other while it is in SEQ mode would work just like doing the same with the Keystep/Beatstep Pro combo.

I find this thing to be a total barrel of monkeys ... really fun addition to my rig. Ridiculously easy to use, very musical, simple ... so yea, just fun! For $119.00 shipped, it's difficult to sniff-cork over it.

Well spent $120 bucks. thumbs up

EDIT: I'll be sharing more about the Keystep's use with my own 5U synth soon. Much needed parts are expected to arrive within a few days after weeks of backordered waiting ... and waiting .... and yet more waiting. One set of PCBs I ordered have taken over two months to arrive, a Mouser order has been hung up for a month, lastly a Dot Com order been unusually long to get in. Once the project synth gets back on track hopefully I'll have helpful/relevant information regarding the use of the Keystep with modulars.

(unsubbed ... my subscriptions are totally out of control and I need to thin that list out .. PM me if you need to say anything of relevance to me regarding this topic or my postings).
aj55
+1
I use both the Keystep and Beatstep pro. Real value for money imo....

And if you created a really nice arpeggio its always possible to record that midi sequence in Ableton Live ;-)
- and then transpose in Live
Rex Coil 7
I've got this going on now .....

The kybd has a MIDI merge input jack (5 pin DIN) and two MIDI outs. The kybd also offers up to four MIDI zones. So the thought is to (maybe) be able to transpose arpeggios created with the Keystep.

Beg your pardon, I just got up (it's 3am) and my head is still full of oatmeal so I'm not thinking very clearly just now. I'll be able to articulate this notion better a little later after the bed-head grog clears.

lol
seditionary
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I'll be able to articulate this notion better a little later after the bed-head grog clears.

I'd love to hear more.

defutura wrote:
Looks interesting, did you try the arpeggiator?

Yeah -- the arpeggiator is fun on this thing smile
Scot Solida
I bought a Keystep to act as a dedicated sequencer for the ARP 2600 and it works quite nicely for this purpose. I was surprised by how much I like it, despite the small keys. I switched the third CV output to velocity rather than mod wheel and am having a grand old time playing the 2600 with it. It won’t replace the 3620 keyboard, but it makes a nice occasional alternative. I’m powering it from USB (with a charger), but I am admittedly nervous about the connector, so I may switch to a dedicated power supply. hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1