MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mos-Lab little system - What's the next module ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Mos-Lab little system - What's the next module ?
MechaSeb
HI everyone,
it's my first post on the forum !

I felt in love with modular synths last year when i bought a little Doepfer system (that i sold recently because i wanted a more Moogy sound modular) and finally ordered a week ago a little 8U Mos-Lab.

As i'm building some DIY modules from YuSynth (Thanks for all Yves!) i was considering to build a Mixer and a Wavefolder to add the little 8U Modular... but do you have an idea for the next module i would buy/build to have a little and powerfull modular Synth.

I don't want to grow the modular more than 10/15 modules for the moment (because i'm already thinking of buying a little Creature Serge to have a "musical modular" with the Mos-Lab and a "Drone - Effects modular" with the Serge).

Weeeel, what do you think for the next little module ?

I was thinking about a 3rd VCO ? LFO ? an other VCA ?
Anyway, please apologies for my really poor english.
JohnLRice
Welcome, MechaSeb! w00t (and your English seems very good to me!)

Is your MOS-LAB the same as this 8A setup?

Or like the one in this video that has just one envelope generator and an Attenuators module?

*If you only have one EG I would definitely get a second one. And if you are going to possibly be interfacing different systems (like the Serge) the Attenuators module will come in handy. So, I'd get which ever one you are missing.

So, I would add these in about this order:
911 ENVELOPE GENERATOR *OR* 995 ATTENUATORS
923 FILTERS / NOISE
928 SAMPLE & HOLD
CP10 MIXER
905 SPRING REVERB
922 VOLTAGE CONTROLLED LFO
921-B OSCILLATOR
994 MULTIPLES

If you can get all of that you'll have a beautiful 5U synth with pretty much all the basics covered! thumbs up

EDIT: I forgot to add the 994 MULTIPLES originally so it's there now. Also, you should take a look at what these following vendors have to offer since they will work well with your Mos-Lab sytem:

Club Of The Knobs (COTK) http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/

Moon Modular http://www.moonmodular.com/

Best of luck! 8_)
bwhittington
Anything you add at this point will exponentially increase your patching options, and everything on John's list is pretty much core stuff, though I personally wouldn't vote for getting a spring reverb this early in the game.

Since the Mos-Lab LPF only has one input, I'd want a mixer next, with an LFO being a close second.

There are lots of fun modules out there, but the meat-and-potatoes modules, roughly along the lines of the Minimoog's components, would get used all the time.

Congrats on the new system!

Cheers,
Brian
MechaSeb
Hello John !
Thanks for your kind message and advice.

Yes, i ordered the top picture's 8A system (without case but added a 16x bus instead of 8x).
So if i take your list i will explain what i'm considering to buy in first:

995 ATTENUATORS
-> I don't think there is any DIY version of this module so i'll buy one for sure.

923 FILTERS / NOISE
-> As i don't really use the noise in my music i'm considering to build this one to keep some moneys for the Serge. (perhaps this sentence could make you laugh as i said i wanted to buy a Serge for Drones and strange sounds but i cannot yet imagine make this such of sounds with my future Mos-Lab/Yusynth system as i will probably do not "work" with the same feeling on the two systems... perhaps i'll change my mind a day we're not worthy ).

928 SAMPLE & HOLD
-> Same as the 923.

CP10 MIXER
-> Building two of this from the YuSynth schematic but i was thinking, would the Mos-Lab CP10 Mixer be better for a really "pure" sound ?I heard that all the module are important but especially the VCO - VCF - VCA circuit if you want to be as close as possible to the "real" old IIIc Moog modular sound. But what about the Mixer ?

905 SPRING REVERB
-> Humm i never thought buying a reverb module but why not ? By the way what do you think about the COTK Analog Delay (wich is, i heard, a half digital ??)

922 VOLTAGE CONTROLLED LFO
-> I'm building 2 of these from YuSynth schematics.

921-B OSCILLATOR
-> This one will perhaps my second order module ...but i need to finish my Mixers first.

994 MULTIPLES
-> To be honnest i hardly use this module in my Doepfer precedent system but this one is pretty cheap...

Also, thanks for the link !
I already know COTK but am very afraid to order a module and never or 2 years later finally receive it. It's not my conception of a good dealing / business behaviour. BUT the Bode Frequency Shifter the only one i really want. nanners

As they offer differents modules than Mos-Lab, Moon Modular seems to be a great alternative.

So if i summarize, i'll have (before any other order) a ... modular system with:

MOS-LAB:
921-A x1 Oscillator Driver
921-B x2 Oscillator
904-A Voltage Controlled Low Pass Filter
902 Voltage Controlled Amplifier
911 x2 Envelope Generator

YuSynth DIY:
Sample & Hold /Noise
Voltage Controlled LFO x2
WaveFolder
Mixer X2
ARP Voltage Controlled Filter

If i finish to build these modules before the Mos-Lab arrived it'll come no more than 14 modules... more than i thought woah
An attenuator and a 3rd VCO would really be great hyper
MechaSeb
bwhittington wrote:
There are lots of fun modules out there, but the meat-and-potatoes modules, roughly along the lines of the Minimoog's components, would get used all the time.

Congrats on the new system!

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks Brian !I know what you mean by "roughly along the lines of the Minimoog's components" and i'm surprised you exactly understand what i was expecting for a such (little ?)modular system.

During a long time i thought i'll buy a Minimoog "one day" and finally when i saw the used prices it pisses me off. I'm still thinking it's a great and unique instrument but i preferred the modular for now and there is no doubt i will first use the modular as a Minimoog for a while and then learn, learn, learn and become to use it differently (i hope). It's the great thing with the modulars !

The next step will be the Serge Guinness ftw! ... but i first have to "digest" the Mos-YuSynth.
slovo
Welcome, fellow Asian-living person! Please offer to act as a synth mule for me, so I can buy things from Yahoo! Japan! grin grin grin

This is fun! This is fun! This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

OK, OK, that was over the line. But let me know if you ever need help smuggling things past customs. I tend to travel to JP with empty suitcases... w00t
MechaSeb
slovo wrote:
Welcome, fellow Asian-living person! Please offer to act as a synth mule for me, so I can buy things from Yahoo! Japan! grin grin grin

This is fun! This is fun! This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

OK, OK, that was over the line. But let me know if you ever need help smuggling things past customs. I tend to travel to JP with empty suitcases... w00t

ah ah ! hihi Thanks for the offer !
I'll shoot you a PM if i need to import some LSD or Cocaïnes stuffs lol
JohnLRice
MechaSeb wrote:

923 FILTERS / NOISE
-> As i don't really use the noise in my music . .
And you think you are going to stop after 15 modules too! hihi Seriously though, there are subtle uses for noise besides the obvious howling wind storm, explosions and electronic snares and hihats. Just a touch of filtered noise can really beathe some organic life into many patches (typical uses include emulations of woodwind and brass instruments but of coures, anything goes! thumbs up )

MechaSeb wrote:

CP10 MIXER
-> Building two of this from the YuSynth schematic but i was thinking, would the Mos-Lab CP10 Mixer be better for a really "pure" sound ?I heard that all the module are important but especially the VCO - VCF - VCA circuit if you want to be as close as possible to the "real" old IIIc Moog modular sound. But what about the Mixer ?

I don't have experience with the Moog mixer (or any of the original modules) but I wouldn't be surprized if there might be some contribution to "the sound". If anything it will be because modern mixer circuits might tend to be very clean and low distortion where the original Moog mixers may not of been speced as tight. But I'm just guessing here so you would have to compare and analyze a modern design and an original to know for sure.

MechaSeb wrote:
905 SPRING REVERB
-> Humm i never thought buying a reverb module but why not ? By the way what do you think about the COTK Analog Delay (wich is, i heard, a half digital ??)
Well, I really love mine! 8_)

MechaSeb wrote:
Also, thanks for the link !
I already know COTK but am very afraid to order a module and never or 2 years later finally receive it.
From my experience, purchasing from COTK can often take a lot of patience and persistance, but in the end I've always gotten what i wanted and have never paid for something until it is ready to ship. And I really like the modules they offer, both in looks, functionality and design so it has always been worth it to me to deal with the sometimes spotty and confused ordering and communications.

MechaSeb wrote:
As they offer differents modules than Mos-Lab, Moon Modular seems to be a great alternative.

Moon Modular rawks! Yes, I'm a fan boy of their stuff too! thumbs up
MechaSeb
JohnLRice wrote:
And you think you are going to stop after 15 modules too! hihi ...

Yes you probably right. I will certainly not stop after 15 modules but i'm planning to build the others i want for the moment.

JohnLRice wrote:
Seriously though, there are subtle uses for noise besides the obvious howling wind storm, explosions and electronic snares and hihats. Just a touch of filtered noise can really beathe some organic life into many patches (typical uses include emulations of woodwind and brass instruments but of coures, anything goes! thumbs up )

You probably right too. OK let's build it !! razz

JohnLRice wrote:

I don't have experience with the Moog mixer (or any of the original modules) but I wouldn't be surprized if there might be some contribution to "the sound". If anything it will be because modern mixer circuits might tend to be very clean and low distortion where the original Moog mixers may not of been speced as tight. But I'm just guessing here so you would have to compare and analyze a modern design and an original to know for sure.

Ok ! I wouldn't be surprised too. I'll post here sometihing if i found something different after comparaison and analyse.

JohnLRice wrote:
Well, I really love mine! 8_)

woah It rooocks !
I realise than i saw your videos many many times on YouTube before. Thanks for all the great demos !! It's really helpfull when you cannot heard in real any COTK modules.

JohnLRice wrote:
From my experience, purchasing from COTK can often take a lot of patience and persistance, but in the end I've always gotten what i wanted and have never paid for something until it is ready to ship. And I really like the modules they offer, both in looks, functionality and design so it has always been worth it to me to deal with the sometimes spotty and confused ordering and communications.

Oohh i didn't know you can wait for the module ready to ship to pay it. I thought you have to pay before and that's terrible when you have no more email or possible communication with the seller. just after paid something.

Finally, what do you think about the STG Mankato Filter ? The Quadrature sine in 8 difèrents phases seems to be soo impressive. Could be one of my next 5U module order ...
JohnLRice
MechaSeb wrote:
Finally, what do you think about the STG Mankato Filter ? The Quadrature sine in 8 difèrents phases seems to be soo impressive. Could be one of my next 5U module order ...

I haven't tried the Mankato but it looks great and I'm always reading how people love them. I do have the STG Sea Devils filter and it's a great filter!!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1