MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[AVAILABLE] 4U boat for LW Format Panels/modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author [AVAILABLE] 4U boat for LW Format Panels/modules
CLee
Links to stores,

Boats at synthCube
Boats at Thonk
Boats at Modular Addict

Update 5/31/17

Enclosures are in stock. Looks like synthCube has them on their web site already. Look for them to show up at all the regular places soon.

Here's the page for it on my web site. More info will be posted there over the weekend.
http://clsound.com/lwformatboat.html

UPDATED INFO 4/26/17

LW Format boats are being manufactured and are about 4-5 weeks out.

Here is some updated info:

4U Boat (est $120 USD)
3" deep (can be used with my 4U brackets)
16GA steel, powder-coat black
Panel mounting with M2.5 screw. 17 across at 1" spacing
Passive power distribution PCB included. 16 power connectors, power to modules is 4 PIN 0.1" header. V-/GND 1/GND 2/V+. Power to PCB is hard wired, but holes are spaced for 4 PIN .156" header.

Matching rack ears are available (est $30 USD)

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
OLD INFO!
Here's some info on an upcoming boat for LW Format 4U modules. There seems to be growing interest in the format, with some new modules in the works. So here's an enclosure for those lovely new modules...

17" standard width, 3" deep. The enclosure will be powder-coated (black) steel. Threaded M3 holes every inch. Hole spacing compatible with the LoudestWarning 4U format.

The enclosure will include a power distribution board. The board has space for a MOLEX .100" 4 PIN header every inch, making for short, neat connection from module to power. The power will be V+/GND1/GND2/V-. The 2 ground lines are separate, for those running clean/dirty grounds. The user would terminate the power exiting the boat with whatever connector they choose. THE FINAL POWER DISTRO (UNLIKE THE ONE PICTURED) WILL HAVE THE CONNECTOR SPUN 180, SO PIN 1 IS V-)

I was hoping to have an actual prototype by now but presently the prototype is stalled at the manufacturer waiting on a machine part, hence the drawing, not a photo...

Expect the Boat/Power PCB to be in the $120 neighborhood.

Thoughts?

-OLD PHOTOS DELETED-
pre55ure
Yay!!! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Any hope that you might do matching rack ears?
tojpeters
+1 on the matching rack ears
J3RK
This sounds great! I have an MTA100 and MTA156 heads for my pistol-thingie-plusplus tool, so power cables will be easy. I've started laying out some panels in this format too, but I got distracted with another project for a while. I'd love to build a couple of boats worth of modules from my set, yours, and Slightly Nasty's as well. I personally don't need rack ears, as I'd likely be building a case for this, but they would probably be quite useful for others.
nurbivore
Very nice! Makes me wish I hadn't gone ahead and bought all these vector rails and power PCBs :\
CLee
Really, would people want matching rack ears? I assumed folks would get generic ears and attach them.

I don't know know anything about the specs for ears, anyone got a mechanical drawing? I can look into it, but it may have to wait.
pre55ure
I'd be happy to use generic rack ears, but I have never found a place to reliably buy them. There was one Asian company that used to sell serge sized ears, but I was never able to get any from them (can't remember why, either the website didn't like me, or shipping was prohibitive, or they only did large quantities, or something). I would just use aluminum L bar, but if I was good at metalwork I wouldn't need to buy the boats... so seriously, i just don't get it
SlightlyNasty
nurbivore wrote:
Very nice! Makes me wish I hadn't gone ahead and bought all these vector rails and power PCBs :\

Ha, I'm in the same boat (pun not intended, but I'll take it!). Those rails aren't cheap, either.

This is very exciting stuff! Can't wait to see the finished parts, and I'm sure I'll end up grabbing some eventually. A decent off-the-shelf enclosure has really been the last piece of the puzzle for 4U.
regenbot
I\ve been able to order low quantities from http://www.takachi-enclosure.com/

The part number for 4U rack ears is m-177s

Also great job Clee applause

pre55ure wrote:
I'd be happy to use generic rack ears, but I have never found a place to reliably buy them. There was one Asian company that used to sell serge sized ears, but I was never able to get any from them (can't remember why, either the website didn't like me, or shipping was prohibitive, or they only did large quantities, or something). I would just use aluminum L bar, but if I was good at metalwork I wouldn't need to buy the boats... so seriously, i just don't get it
cygmu
Looking very nice!

I'm sure you've designed for this, but I am going to ask anyway! My spatial awareness is very poor so I have a hard time figuring out what will work mechanically and what won't, so here goes:

Are there any issues with clearance between modules and the power distribution for modules build using your mounting brackets?

I think the brackets extend something like 2.6" below the front panel which only leaves 0.4" to the bottom of the boat. The power distribution is presumably a little above the bottom of the boat so there's not much space there, and then the MTA connectors stand up further. Are the power connectors aligned so that they don't interfere with the modules?
CLee
So I have these, they came with my Serge boats. I can get a quote from my fab house. My fear is that in the quantity I'm likely to sell they won't be cheap.

SoundPool
fantastic! I was planning on having to come up measurements and a whole mess to make rackmount ears that were properly spaced for vector rails to do LW format, but this is even better. I could see rack ears being pretty important though. For me portability is key, and being able to throw these in a cheapo Thon case would be great. Building the modules and everything is enough for me- once that is done I want to spend my time playing, not building cases too. Plus if someone is already shelling out 125 for a boat/distro (not to suggest its an unreasonable price though, given the production costs for a specialty product its totally reasonable) adding an extra 20 bucks or so to get rack ears doesn't seem like a big leap.
Jonachi
Pthis might be a total gamechanger for me. Very interessted!
yan6
I'm interested It's peanut butter jelly time!
geecen
These look great! Is 3 inches deep enough to have PCBs mounted sideways yo the panel?
CLee
geecen wrote:
These look great! Is 3 inches deep enough to have PCBs mounted sideways yo the panel?

Yes. It's a tight fit. I used the Molex .100" connectors for power so they can sit under the front lip. You can use my brackets to mount PCBs and still clear the power distro board.

It's tight, but I know folks like boats to be as shallow as possible. Here's a picture from the prototype,
phisynth
CLee wrote:
Really, would people want matching rack ears? I assumed folks would get generic ears and attach them.

I don't know know anything about the specs for ears, anyone got a mechanical drawing? I can look into it, but it may have to wait.

from my post in the Serge maintenance thread from 2012 :

phisynth wrote:
here's the graphical file I made to have some made at a local metal workshop here. The only thing is they made it from a folded 3 mm alu plate, so the angle is slightly rounded instead of being sharp, but I guess it can be made sharp also if you ask them specifically (I didn't).
Other than that hole placement is perfect, and they look ok. They cost me less than 6€/piece.
Dimensions are in mm tho...
CLee
Thanks phisynth. I dropped of the one in the photo to my fab house this morning, they'll copy that. I'll see what they have to say
the bad producer
I've been away for a bit and only gradually getting back into the swing of things and there seem to be quite a few threads I've missed!

This looks great Craig! I've had a few people ask about boats, do you have any idea when these might be available? Looking forward to not having to hack up Hammonds!

nanners
CLee
Charlie, a tool used in the drilling is holding up the prototype. Looks like late March for a hope-I-have-them date ATM.
cygmu
I'm hoping Charlie is going to import a whole lot of these and distribute to 4U builders in the UK!

I mentioned above that my spatial awareness is poor. It never even occurred to me that the power distribution could sit outside the area of the mounting brackets and PCB. That's great! A tight fit is still a fit.
ilya.n
Looks great!

Will it fit Random*Source 4U modules too?
CLee
ilya.n wrote:

Unfortunately no. The hole spacing top to bottom is different. Also LW uses even inch panel widths where I believe RS is 4.25"
ilya.n
CLee wrote:
ilya.n wrote:

Unfortunately no. The hole spacing top to bottom is different. Also LW uses even inch panel widths where I believe RS is 4.25"

Thanks! The holes can be drilled though?
CLee
ilya.n wrote:
CLee wrote:
ilya.n wrote:

Thanks! The holes can be drilled though?

Drilled into which? The holes on RS panels are closer together (top to bottom) and the lip on my boat is probably too narrow to drill holes to accommodate them. If you're willing to drill into your RS panel then I guess anything is possible. Keep in mind that with a combo of RS and LW format you'll have that wasted 3/4 inch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4