MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3U Overdrive / 3U PSU build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author 3U Overdrive / 3U PSU build
Pav
Tony, hi,
I didn't find the sizes for the Fastons..or mention in the build guide parts list. If you know of a part number would be good too.think farnell sell em.

Expect an order soon.. Oh is the Eurorack overdrive and OverdriveII the same
PCb?

Thanks
Synthbuilder
Pav wrote:
I didn't find the sizes for the Fastons.

The Euro PSU and Euro Dizzy boards both use standard 1/4" (6.35mm) fastons. They're the same one Doepfer uses on their supplies and distribution boards.

Farnell do indeed sell them and these are the ones I use:

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-amp/725964-2/terminal-tab-6-35mm -x-0-81mm/dp/2506365

Quote:
is the Eurorack overdrive and OverdriveII the same
PCB?

No. The Euro one has the same circuit as the original 5U Overdrive module but the PCB is a lot physically smaller than both the original 5U Overdrive and current 5U Overdrive-II. It's effectively a tubescreamer with a few mods. The 5U Overdrive-II came later and features a similar overdrive and distortion circuit but adds a two stage wavefolder, soft clipping circuit and crossfader.

Tony
Synthbuilder
I have just updated the Builder's Guides for both the Euro Dizzy and Euro PSU with the size of the fastons used. Sorry for not including it.

Tony
Pav
Synthbuilder wrote:
I have just updated the Builder's Guides for both the Euro Dizzy and Euro PSU with the size of the fastons used. Sorry for not including it.

Tony

Thanks again
Pav
Hi, just thought i should reuse this thread so changed the subject ... Whilst i see the rulers for a panel dimensions in the html of the overdrive, wanted to ask if you already have a .fpe file i can use as a template/send to schaefer ?
the switch position looks a little tricky for drilling.

thx
Synthbuilder
Pav wrote:
wanted to ask if you already have a .fpe file i can use as a template/send to schaefer ?

I don't unfortunately. That panel design was done by Paul Darlow when he made the Krisp1 version of the module. You may wish to contact him and see if he has any available.

http://www.krisp1.com/store/

Tony
Pav
re .fpd not a problem.

I did my own drilling template file in the end.

Using measurements from the picture with the rulers i did a first draft ...then used center pin hole for each pot to check they lined up with pcb. I actually had to adjust the y values by +4mm. Even so it was a tight fit ..the gain and timbre could have done with an extra 1mm. Was lucky with the offset hole for the switch.

Other details for any one considering this build :

I drilled a Doepfer blank panel to ensure the fitting holes are ok for rack. Could not find a 6hp like Mr Krisp. so settled for 8. (fyi Front Panel Designer had quoted me 28Euro for a Shaeffer 2mm anodized aluminium with labels but without any pot art.)

I did go for Multicomp's part 1MD1T2B4M6RE ..Note this style does not use a knurley nut and washer..and 6.5mm drill bit suited it fine.

I opted for 1N34A, in positions D1 and D3. I have not A/B tested with 1N4148.

Tested without smoke Dead Banana Its subtle as forewarned in the build guide. I used a Tiptop z2040 filter in front and fed a sine wave. from z2000 mkII osc. Sweeping filter cvs with an lfo tri and osc-saw waves helps.

pictures //also shared/posted in diy thread:

Pav
hi tony,
Started the 3u psu

having just made a silly orientation error on capacitor C10 obviously confused in my old age by the word POS written on the board next to the negative terminal.. duh!...

Can you confirm the orientation of the voltage indicating leds ...I have all three square holes taking the cathode as indicated by the screen printing based on the construction guide guidance.

I think im wrong...then right because its a -ve voltage and then wrong again hmmm.....
The circuit diagram suggests -12v Green LED should have the cathode in pin 2. round hole.

Also the led to be wired to the panel Pin 2 is the cathode. im concluding this from the track joining them all together and the photo showing the red and black panel wiring.

cheers
pav
Synthbuilder
Pav wrote:
Can you confirm the orientation of the voltage indicating leds.

The square pad is the cathode on all three LEDs mounted on the board. If you look at the LEDs you'll notice a flat to the edge of their plastic casing - that indicates the cathode of the LED. That should line up with the flat edge shown on the PCB's legend (the printed white outline around any component). All three board mounted LEDs are mounted the same way so that the flat on their body lines up with the flat on the PCB.

The external LED is wired to the board using the two way header marked LED. I can see why this is confusing because in this case pin 1 of the header, a square pad, is connected to the anode of this LED. Typically I use pin 1 as a square pad on numbered items like ICs and headers but this is not always true on other components like resistors, LEDs and transistors.

Most LEDs can withstand being put round the wrong way so long as current is limited via a resistor and it's not done for too long.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1