MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland TR-09
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Roland TR-09
windspirit
Not sure if my search-fu was off today but I didnt see a thread on this already...

Curious if people have these and like them? I have thought about building a nava clone for awhile now but I just dont have the time for another huge DIY project.

Fyi Im less concerned about how accurate of a recreation it is versus whether it is a good piece of gear in its own right.
CalvaryBand
It is a good piece of equipment. It sounds decent, is very portable, sports tons of control and the fact that it has two other alternate outs makes it manageable in a standard studio setup. I enjoyed using it much more than the TR-8 and think it sounds better. The knobs are super small, though.
windspirit
Yeah as someone with large hands this is probably the biggest sticking point for me...
Zerius
Yeah it sounds damn great, I really prefer it to the TB 03

But too small knobs to really play with it to be honest hmmm.....
CalvaryBand
windspirit wrote:
Yeah as someone with large hands this is probably the biggest sticking point for me...

I have large hands with thin fingers and there was still some minor, unintentional adjustment of knobs that are adjacent to the knob being tweaked.
AdamJay
It sucks that the battery compartment's depth and the desire for battery powered capability are the main causes for such little real estate, resulting in the very unfortunate knob size and spacing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would gladly give up the battery compartment for being able to fit my fingers between the knobs.
windspirit
Do you really think that the battery was the reason behind the knob squishing? Maybe taking the caps off of the knobs would help?
AdamJay
windspirit wrote:
Do you really think that the battery was the reason behind the knob squishing?

Absolutely. No Boutiques have any pots mounted in the area above the battery compartment. And when you take one apart, you can see why. There's no room.
computer controlled
I could give a fuck all less about battery power. More space for knobs is better.

As for the sound, it sounds fantastic! It's my go to 909 now, i use the TR-8 for the other sounds now. I don't use the knobs a lot on the fly, except for BD Tuning/Decay, HH decay and Ride tuning. That's really about it. All those i can get to easily. What i do wish it had was the external MIDI track the 909 has, and a pattern randomize function.
windspirit
@computer_controlled do you mean a MIDI track to sequence another box from the 909 or a MIDI track to accept incoming MIDI from another sequencer?
computer controlled
The original 909 has an external MIDI track to sequence other devices with.
Xmit
does the TR-09 genuinely approach that 909 'feel' - I don't mean any gripes about the small size of the knowbs etc... I mean, sonically, as a 'breathing' instrument ?

You know how even when you get a shit-hot bunch of samples together in your DAW & play about with the velocity levels, swing etc. ...but it still doesn't have that 909 'thing' happening ? Particularly when you layer sounds on top / close to each other...that 'smudging' you get on real 909 when certain voices trigger at certain times...& the way the accents tend to work, the hats start 'clacking'....etc...

I had a TR-8 for a while, & I dug it's functionality & overall the ACB sounded good, but it didn't quote have that feel, especially on the 909 stuff which I'm most into.
I've heard a few TR-09 videos & it seems like this Boutique machine comes closer to that ? Or is it all just psychoacoustic BS ? lol
heckadecimal69
I would say it definitely has that thing. Small knobs though.
Sound and UI is just like the 909.
computer controlled
Xmit wrote:
does the TR-09 genuinely approach that 909 'feel' - I don't mean any gripes about the small size of the knowbs etc... I mean, sonically, as a 'breathing' instrument ?

You know how even when you get a shit-hot bunch of samples together in your DAW & play about with the velocity levels, swing etc. ...but it still doesn't have that 909 'thing' happening ? Particularly when you layer sounds on top / close to each other...that 'smudging' you get on real 909 when certain voices trigger at certain times...& the way the accents tend to work, the hats start 'clacking'....etc...

I had a TR-8 for a while, & I dug it's functionality & overall the ACB sounded good, but it didn't quote have that feel, especially on the 909 stuff which I'm most into.
I've heard a few TR-09 videos & it seems like this Boutique machine comes closer to that ? Or is it all just psychoacoustic BS ? lol

Yes. Think of it as a mini 909. Just w/o the outputs and external MIDI track.
Xmit
^
cheers guys.

thinking of getting rid of my RYTM. I dunno - I've had it since they first came out & I still can't really get it to sound 'right'. I want to love it, but I just can't... I'm sure it's just me. but I'm not the sort of person who can't have a £1k drum machine sitting around to then replace all the sounds with samples ITB when it comes to the mix 90% of the time.
Zerius
Xmit wrote:
^
cheers guys.

thinking of getting rid of my RYTM. I dunno - I've had it since they first came out & I still can't really get it to sound 'right'. I want to love it, but I just can't... I'm sure it's just me. but I'm not the sort of person who can have a £1k drum machine sitting around to then replace all the sounds with samples ITB when it comes to the mix 90% of the time.

I love how sounds the AR and how easy is it to program maybe this one is def not for you seriously, i just don't get it
Xmit
yeah - I'd say it's def me, not the machine.

I had the same issue with the Analog4.... just never got on with the sound.

it's weird, because I loved both the Elektron silver boxes to death.... sort of wish I'd never replaced my MD with the Rytm... very frustrating
Xmit
fuck it - just bought a TR-09 cool

any peeps in the UK want a s/h RYTM, let me know...
JenniferG
Xmit wrote:
fuck it - just bought a TR-09 cool

any peeps in the UK want a s/h RYTM, let me know...

I'm very tempted to buy one. I just played with one at the music store today. Loads of fun, and I never programmed a 909 before.

Fortunately I found my fingers small enough to tweak the knobs without bumping the others. Guessing most Japanese guys have little fingers and didn't think about it.

I like how small the unit is because I am limited on space.
JenniferG
Can the entire state of the TR-09 (all patterns and tracks) be backed up to file over USB? I'd like to be able to back up my stuff, otherwise I guess a notebook would do.
JenniferG
Just bought both the TR-09 and TB-03 on Amazon.com.. gah most money I've spent in a while. Will have in a couple days.

Thinking they shouldn't depreciate more than a $100 a piece over the years, hopefully. So $200 to play around with them for a while isn't too bad. They seem fun.
computer controlled
JenniferG wrote:
Can the entire state of the TR-09 (all patterns and tracks) be backed up to file over USB? I'd like to be able to back up my stuff, otherwise I guess a notebook would do.

I believe you can.
nikarga
How are guys finding the TR-09.. i love mine.
Trigga
can anyone explain what's the advantage of an TR-09 if you already have a Tr-8?
h4ndcrafted
Trigga wrote:
can anyone explain what's the advantage of an TR-09 if you already have a Tr-8?

I'm guessing the focused interface seriously, i just don't get it I'm not sure how ppl say it sounds better, does it use a different d/a. Like to know too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3