MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

stupid who pays full ? (VSTis .....and monday sales ;) )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author stupid who pays full ? (VSTis .....and monday sales ;) )
Funky40
this is a blabla thread. but not necessarily a stupid one wink

so i get in the meantime spammed by Waves with their discount offers.
wekend discount, ......monday discount, .....tuesday discount lol
some others have less days the month but i get quite some mails with VSTis on discount offers.

I REALLY HAD NO CLUE about all that !......and tought a price is a price is a price

and it makes me think that one is stupid if one pays full ( ???)

tl;dr:
disclaimer:
i totally understand that work has to be payed.
i am anyway throwing sometimes my money to a guy or a company in the knowing that i might not use that specific product much.
i can do that sometimes with a good feel to guys who offer premium work for very fair prices ! really
Pianoteq5 and Valhalla in my case to throw in a Name or two.......

but in the whole do i feel now that i´m no longer wiiling to buy some 200$ VSTs when i can have them for 49$ the other day.
as its anyway allways a risk given that i won´t use it. Demoing 1000 plugs is just not doing it........so.....

your gladly invited to share your thoughts too here wink
hamildad
Waves work on a pricing model where the original price is so high all the offers look like bargains and encourage impulse purchases...

Like the Sofa discount shops that Always have sales on, no one purchases at full price and if you do, then they are not going to stop you...

I for one, would get a great benefit out of the Waves Dave Clarke bundle, but as I know that even if I bought it at $150 off, I might see it at $250 the next week. I don't buy it...

but good VST sellers that occasionally do sales at recognised times of the year are valid. Most of the time those sales are to be put in 'black friday' roundup lists so its a form of marketing.
rod_zero
Some absurb marketing around, what ever you want to buy Google first if it has had a sale. Almost all companies have big discount at least one time a year.

There are few developers that don't have discounts, Valhalla and u-he(only has introductory price) come to mind.
kirkwoodwest
Super frustrating imo... but I'm pretty sure my whole library is sale plugins.
Funky40
rod_zero wrote:

There are few developers that don't have discounts, Valhalla and I've(only has introductory price) come to mind.

Valhalla sells good! plugins for 50$.
thats the range where i first: can allow me to buy a plugin even if i´m not shure if i will use it or if it will overtrumped by another one.
and second: at that price do i don´t have to ask any further if ever a sale might happen wink
good work good price ! keep it so.

it allows me, the customer, to buy five Reverb plugins instead of just one,
and see then myself while working with those which one fits me the best.
the other run then under "sponsoring" wink....happy when found one with 250$ spent.
thats effectivly how i think.
martinjuenke
Funky40 wrote:
rod_zero wrote:

There are few developers that don't have discounts, Valhalla and I've(only has introductory price) come to mind.

Valhalla sells good! plugins for 50$.
thats the range where i first: can allow me to buy a plugin even if i´m not shure if i will use it or if it will overtrumped by another one.
and second: at that price do i don´t have to ask any further if ever a sale might happen wink
good work good price ! keep it so.

it allows me, the customer, to buy five Reverb plugins instead of just one,
and see then myself while working with those which one fits me the best.
the other run then under "sponsoring" wink....happy when found one with 250$ spent.
thats effectivly how i think.

You're so right!
PS: Waves seems to be cheap first hand bit after one year their WUP strikes and you are in a subscription scheme which is everything but cheap...
supersuper
Many soft synth companies do the high price move volume at low price during sales thing.

It works there are some people of an affluence class that would not batt an eye at it.

I generally only buy soft synths second hand or on sale, but there are some soft synths and soft effects that I have paid full (or close to RRP) that were totally worth it. Furthermore, some of those software programs cost me more over $400 USD but I am happily using them in my setup today as they are as fundamental to my process as the DAW.

Please don't ask what these are and instead take the flip side of this argument which is that almost all soft synths are available to freely try in the comfort of your home before you buy them.

Biggest mistake you can with software is not having the correct quality of sound card, speakers and midi controllers to appreciate the quality.
Funky40
The problem with demos is that i´m not shure on the potential risk to destabilisize my system-
but that might be also true with installing to many VSTis anyway.

btw. what "also" made me make to open this thread was that i got a 50% sale announcement eMail form something that i just bought two weeks earlier for full price. (the better ones, not that cheap)
i gently asked the guy if i could instead have another one for that sales price, as i´m interested in that one while i just bought the other one on sale two weeks bevore .
He was ok and even offered me a free soundbank ( also on sale) for free.
Nice one ! good experience.
Funky40
martinjuenke wrote:

PS: Waves seems to be cheap first hand bit after one year their WUP strikes and you are in a subscription scheme which is everything but cheap...

honestly i was totally unshure of how Waves deal is running.
I was kind of aware that the update prices seem to be very high.
but my tought was that i don´t necessarily need to update.................... hmmm.....
crawling wind
So many people do not pay for software at all, I'm sure he appreciated your business.

Funky40 wrote:

btw. what "also" made me make to open this thread was that i got a 50% sale announcement eMail form something that i just bought two weeks earlier for full price. (the better ones, not that cheap)
i gently asked the guy if i could instead have another one for that sales price, as i´m interested in that one while i just bought the other one on sale two weeks bevore .
He was ok and even offered me a free soundbank ( also on sale) for free.
Nice one ! good experience.
grillo
Another dev that doesn't do sales is xfer. Great stuff and great support.
stk
Funky40 wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:

honestly i was totally unshure of how Waves deal is running.
I was kind of aware that the update prices seem to be very high.
but my tought was that i don´t necessarily need to update.................... hmmm.....

FYI WUP is an opt-in thing. It's for future updates, etc.
You do not need to pay for it if you don't want to.
I "own" a couple Waves bundles (API and SSL, both of which are very good).
Since they are both relatively mature and proven products, and run flawlessly across all my DAWs (x86 and x64) there is no need to pay for WUP.

I agree that their marketing tactics are slimy, but then what marketing is not?
JustGlyphs
A neat read to avoid human psychological behaviors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pricing_strategies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1