MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

218r Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author 218r Build Thread
ncgr
Hi everyone!

I couldn't seem to find a build thread for the 218r (this one: http://electricmusicstore.com/products/touch-activated-voltage-source- model-218-rev2) so I thought I'd start one.

BOM, Firmware and modification:
http://electricmusicstore.com/blogs/build/touch-activated-voltage-sour ce-model-218

I'm halfway through the building the PCB, but missing some components right now. Has anyone finished this build and have some insight or tips to share?
Synesthesia
there was a thread...can't find it.

I finished mine - fully working, loving it. what a fantastic piece of kit.

TIPS :
- if you are going to use a standoff, countersunk the hole before you solder the red pcb.
- Don't use too much solder when soldering the red pcb. doing so can create a air bubble - and you'll lose connectivity.
- The permanento pots works backward : This is normal - it is as on the original.
- Make sure you clear coat the whole lot. i am happy with 2 coats.
keninverse
What kind of clear did you use?
Synesthesia
That one!
Vcs3
Perfect! I ordered my 218r kit a week ago. Look forward to building it!
jersupereq
Does anyone have any more information on building this? I Ordered the black easel kit. Is the clear for coating the keyboard panel?
APETECHNOLOGY
jersupereq wrote:
Does anyone have any more information on building this? I Ordered the black easel kit. Is the clear for coating the keyboard panel?

i used rustoleum crystal clear ENAMEL.
make sure you do the coating in a dust free area!
1 even coat, not multiples.

Eel Power FTW!
we_squirm
where is the other build thread for this? I just got my 218 pcbs but can't find a proper build thread anywhere
captnapalm
there's a couple on the other forum.
we_squirm
captnapalm wrote:
there's a couple on the other forum.

excuse my ineptitude, which forum?
captnapalm
we_squirm wrote:

PM'd
blomman
Where can I information on the two calibration trimmers on the 218r?
Hi guys!!! I build a 218 with bom rev 2.3 but i can't find any value for r84 and r85... it seems that they were connected with ic9, any stories with the mod for proper pulse?

[/img]
Ok i had the answer this is the mod for proper pulse, r84 is 20k and r85 is 10k no more trace to cut, thanks Marc for your help wink
gruvsyco
captnapalm wrote:
we_squirm wrote:

PM'd

Do you mind sharing with me? I'm in the process of ordering stuff for a set of Romans black Easel panels.
Peake
I've done two+ clear coats and it causes the red paint on the "frets" to wrinkle :( Will definitely do a single coat next time.

Cut the frets to 44mm and a touch over 83mm.

DO NOT TOUCH or clean the silver sections of the keyboard PCBs prior to clear coating. I've kept them in the plastic wrap until the last part of the build; even tore a small hole to counter-sink the standoff hole. Soldered the red PCB to the base in two places then removed the plastic wrap, epoxied in the frets, then clear-coated, then soldered up the rest. Definitely avoid the air bubbles mentioned but also don't hold too long or it could melt the clear coat on the other side.

There's also a catch; for 1.2V output you have to set the miniswitch so only 1V/Octave and First/Last are "ON". Thanks to zecken and synesthesia for this crucial tip!

Buchla 218r LED installation by mpeake, on Flickr
Short lead to the square pad.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1