MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Barton 2LFO SH -- anyone built a Frac version?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Barton 2LFO SH -- anyone built a Frac version?
gnombient
Getting back into modular after a few years away... I'd like to add LFOs for my modest little Frac system, and recently saw this: http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/2LFO/

I know Blacet makes a fine LFO, but my space is limited and I'm wondering if this may be more bang for my buck.

Does anyone have experience with this module (in any format?) Anyone who has built a Frac version have any tips to share about components or general build? Is this a fool's errand?
Rob_C
Go for it! You can build the 2LFOSH for either 12 volts or 15 volts (bipolar), as stated in the instructions. There is no pre-made Frac panel available, but you can order a blank panel from PAIA or Blacet and drill the holes for the potentiometers and 3.5mm jacks. The circuit board will mount at a 90 degree angle with 4/40 L brackets.

Link ->PAIA single wide Frac blank panel

Mr Barton sells inexpensive blank Euro panels for his modules, with all holes drilled (but no labels, you have to add your own). If you request, he will leave off the Euro mounting slots, and you can drill your own Frac mounting holes. Keep in mind this Euro panel will be about 1/4" short of a Frac panel, and is not the standard width of Frac panels (1.5", 3.0" etc). But it is a quick and dirty way of mounting the module.
gnombient
Thanks for the encouragement Rob!

My question regarding components stems from the documentation's note for +/-15V builders (quoted here, emphasis mine):

Quote:
The parts values presented in the schematic are for a +/-12V system. When building for +/-15V a few of the components associated with the schmitt trigger need to be replaced. These values are untested, you may need to experiment with different values to get the performance you want. The 220K in it's feedback path should be increased to a 330K. The 2.7K/2.2K voltage divider should be replaced with a 2.2K/1K voltage divider, and the 100K resistor between the pot's wiper and the integrator should be increased to 150K.

I can follow instructions and handle a soldering iron well enough to build Blacet kits, but don't have much in the way of the theoretical electronics knowledge that would help me to make a confident determination regarding component values and performance... My instinct is to use the suggested substitutions and not worry about it, but I thought I'd ask around first to see if anyone else had other thoughts.

EDIT to add: I conveniently already have a Paia panel that I can use for this project, so at this point it's a matter of ordering the components and making/finding time to work!
nikmis
I built the BMC 013 random resonator, BMC 015 vca mixer, and the BMC 009 UWQ all in frac format, +/-15. They work fine. That doesn't really answer any questions but I just wanted to contribute
gnombient
nikmis wrote:
I built the BMC 013 random resonator, BMC 015 vca mixer, and the BMC 009 UWQ all in frac format, +/-15. They work fine. That doesn't really answer any questions but I just wanted to contribute

Good to hear that your Frac builds went well. When you built those modules, did you have to do anything with alternate component values to compensate for the voltage change?
gnombient
Quick follow-up... Reconsidering my Frac approach (see my separate post), so Barton is on hold... oops Thanks for the input anyway!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1