MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Does anyone know this module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Does anyone know this module?
phaedra
A "Moog" module???
phaedra
Ok, thank you all for looking, it doesn't surprise that nobody knows about, it seems to be a moog fake.
SepticUnderground

Not Moog, but the Papal Sin Convertor
JohnLRice
Hey! Looks cool to me! 8_)

I did a search and found it pictured and mentioned on this page:
http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?tag=moog
suitandtieguy
yes. this is a counterfeit Moog module made by a guy named Fabio in Italy.

the insides of these modules are downright comical and hopefully can be better documented in the future. they even have fake serial tags, but everything about them is wrong and this module right here is one of the dead giveaways. Moog never made this module.
analogsteve
suitandtieguy wrote:

Any idea how many of these fakes are floating around? I know there are a few on this list... Who exactly is/was this Fabio guy?

suitandtieguy wrote:
the insides of these modules are downright comical and hopefully can be better documented in the future. they even have fake serial tags, but everything about them is wrong.

I'd love to see photos of this module's guts. Phaedra, do you own this module? Anyone out there want to take photos of some of these things?
Fake serial tags... that's just sleazy. I'd hate to see some poor chump paying a fortune for these on eBay thinking they're real vintage Moog...

Steve
drewtoothpaste
It'sa me, Fabio.

valis
Wow. I've wondered if counterfeit vintage modules exist and it appears that they do. Interesting, and sleazy..

If I'm not mistaken that http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?tag=moog link doesn't give any indication that the module isn't a moog module..
phaedra
analogsteve wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

Any idea how many of these fakes are floating around? I know there are a few on this list... Who exactly is/was this Fabio guy?

suitandtieguy wrote:
the insides of these modules are downright comical and hopefully can be better documented in the future. they even have fake serial tags, but everything about them is wrong.

I'd love to see photos of this module's guts. Phaedra, do you own this module? Anyone out there want to take photos of some of these things?
Fake serial tags... that's just sleazy. I'd hate to see some poor chump paying a fortune for these on eBay thinking they're real vintage Moog...

Steve

No, I'm not the owner.
You will find this and other Moog and "Moog" modules here:
http://www.aliens-project.de/studio.html
Then go down to Moog and look at the listed modules which have NO number.
Don't ask me what is behind this faceplates, I only know what is NOT behind them.
NV
valis wrote:
If I'm not mistaken that http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?tag=moog link doesn't give any indication that the module isn't a moog module..

Call it schadenfreude, but I find the idea of a Moog obsessive desperately paying huge sums for a completely bogus module without doing any research whatsoever to be rather amusing. It doesn't even have a model number on it and there's no shortage of places on the internet and in print that provide detailed lists of everything Moog ever made, all of which are woefully devoid of the elusive "Sine Converter."
mono-poly
FYI Fabio did clone some Moog modular stuff in the 80s.
He never made a busines of it and a few came to others.

STS you really should stop whining about this because you are selling EMS stuff.
Do we whine about that to?
CZ Rider
Here is the page with info about the Moog clone:
Moog modular clone info
At the top of the page, an explanation that it is not real. Tough to spot unless you are a Moog modular aficionado. I did notice the strange hardware, like knobs and switches.
Lucky for me the internet Moog modular aficionados spoted the Ebay auction I won as a total fraud. A zero feedback seller, listing a Moog modular = must be a scammer. Actually was a professor at LI University that had the Moog stored for almost 20 years. Was his first Ebay auction, and he needed the money to restore his Stienway grand. Really nice person and was happy to see the Moog go to someone that was going to use it. I was glad to help fund his project. He sold me a bone stock original built in August 1969 Moog system IP, just needed a little TLC. Rockin' Banana!
russma
mono-poly wrote:
FYI Fabio did clone some Moog modular stuff in the 80s.
He never made a busines of it and a few came to others.

STS you really should stop whining about this because you are selling EMS stuff.
Do we whine about that to?

Mono, do you seriously not see the difference between what STG and Fabio are doing?

STG modules are clearly labelled "STG Soundlabs". Fabio's modules are not labelled "Fabio's modules", they are labelled "Moog".

Big difference.
mono-poly
Fabio never did advert with those modules he made in the 80s.
He did sold a few he made on ebay and always as clone.
Never made a busines out off it.

STG sells an copy of the EMS 18db vcf.
And there is nothing being mentioned about a license or something like the Analogue Systems ones.

So he really should NOT wine about the few Fabio made over 20 years back.
russma
As I understand it, Fabio even cloned the serial numbers. Why would he do that?

I have no way of knowing whether Fabio was doing something unethical, or simply creating an obsessive homage, so I'm just curious.
mono-poly
idiotboy wrote:
As I understand it, Fabio even cloned the serial numbers. Why would he do that?

Because he wanted to build himself an exact copy.
Peake
SepticUnderground wrote:

Not Moog, but the Papal Sin Convertor

I really want to make a "tampons have wings" joke here, but I have good enough taste to not do so.
bwhittington
A fan or builder making a "clone" panel might be questionable issue, but the good news, as STG said is that no one is likely to be fooled into thinking they are vintage. That makes them seem a little more innocent than "counterfeits" to me, though the word is certainly applicable, by definition.

There are a couple photos of some of the modules throughout mono-poly's FS thread.

Cheers,
Brian
mono-poly
Brian i got a lot off pictures off them and i sold mine to essex soundlab.
It kinda surprises me that STG falls over this again while Fabio never sold this basicly.
And the few ones he sold he didn't sold as real ones but as clones and he never adverted with them except for a few auctions past year.

On the other hand STG sells a copy off the EMS transistorladder vcf.
So i thin he should not bother about the few things done by Fabio.
If he does he should contact Robin about his vcf sales and start paying off fees to him.
Muff Wiggler
there's a BIG BIG BIG difference between something built around an existing circuit that is OBVIOUSLY not counterfeit owing to different faceplate and branding (one would call a 'homage' in the world of fine watches) and an outright counterfeit that copies brand names, trade dress and panel layout

one is impossible to mistake for the genuine article, the could easily fool people and causes confusion iun the marketplacxe as the exisatance of this very thread indicates.

no one would ever, ever mistake an STG product for a genuine EMS product. You cannot say this about Fabio's forgeries.

there'll be no justification or defense of counterfeit products at this forum, thank-you.
mono-poly
It's never been a Product just private work of which a few ended up for sale in the past 20-30 years.

It really bothers me that he falls over Fabio's private work over and over.
While he did NOT license his EMS filter.
Muff Wiggler
what fabio's doing is against the law. what STG is doing isn't. very simple.

if it was truly private breaking of the law, we wouldn't be hearing about it.

end of story.
mono-poly
Yeah right i give up.
Just me
If I make a reproduction of an EMS board and sell it bare it isnt against against the law in the US as it isn't the whole device and it isn't depicted as the original. If I build an exact copy of an EMS right down to the inspection stickers, it IS illegal as it is a counterfeit. If you can't see the differance, well there is no teaching.
yusynth
STG is not breaking the law because STG is selling a module that is inspired by the EMS filter but is in no way a clone of the EMS filter.

For the 5U model it is based on my own design (where I intended to retrieve the sound and is strongly inspired by EMS same diode ladder topology) , but it does not use the same components (uses a transistor array) and input and output buffers furthermore it implements a functionality that is not made available in the EMS products (voltage controlled emphasis).
In a strictly legal point of view, the STG product has no EMS logo on it, it is not even named VCS3 filter of "Synthi filter". Regarding the electronic design, the components, the PCB are different from the original EMS design so it cannot be attacked as a counterfeit or named as this.

STG does not need a license for this because the diode ladder topology is not an invention of EMS even though it has been made famous by EMS.
Therefore STG would only require such a license if he was to sell an exact copy based on the EMS PCB and EMS components.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2