MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
The Roots of Trance
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The Roots of Trance
Babaluma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: The Roots of Trance Reply with quote

Whilst perusing the forum over at

http://www.psymusic.co.uk/

I came across a few interesting links on the Goa scene in the 80's.

Here is a report by Erik Davis, author of Techgnosis:

http://www.techgnosis.com/paradise.html

And here is an excellent article written by a dude who was actually there:

http://www.bleep43.com/bleep43/2010/4/14/unveiling-the-secret-the-root s-of-trance.html

And a podcast link to a wonderful two hour set in .mp3 featuring 80's Goa classics to accompany the article above:

http://www.bleep43.com/podcast/2010/4/14/podcast-165-the-roots-of-tran ce.html

It's really interesting to hear the influences and then compare them with what (some might say sadly) became the Psy Trance we know today.

Anyway, I just thought some of you might be interested!
a100user
All the gear, no idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is a great Bam, nice tunes too.
slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

really fascinating stuff. socially, musically etc etc.

Interesting counterpoint to 60s psychadelic culture. In some ways paralleled.

Always nice to hear 'trance' music that is interesting, rather than just soulless/cheesy commercial stuff.
suitandtieguy
Hammond King

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanks for posting this.

suboptimal wrote:
... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.
Babaluma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries!

i have a love/hate relationship with "psy trance" music. these days it's mostly hate, but i was well into the scene from around 94 to 96, i used to go to london parties every weekend (return to the source, escape from samsara, psubliminal psychedelia etc.)

however, before and since this period my music tastes have been wide and varied. unfortunately, what i and my friends experienced of the "scene" in those years was that it was extremely closed and insular. trance for breakfast, trance for lunch, and trance for dinner. we used to refer to it as the "trance vacuum", and it got so bad we all became very disenamoured and left the scene and the music behind.

i remember repeatedly trying to get other trance heads to appreciate things such as throbbing gristle, death in june, current 93 and nurse with wound, and absolutely none of them getting it. they thought i was "weird". well, that's true, but...

i'll occasionally spin some older tunes for nostalgia, but i hadn't heard anything new that really moved me in that genre for many many years, until late last year, when i heard the free download of a live show from "son kite" in tokyo, december 2003, which is available on their website here:

http://www.sonkite.com/music1.htm

and it really blew me away. very minimal, but very good, and would you believe it, extremely nice use of dynamic range. i haven't had a chance to see them live myself yet, but will do if they ever make it over to japan again!

anyway...
Knobtwister
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks Baba, really interesting stuff smile
skweeegor
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the cheesy full-on stuff that's so popular is total tripe, but what do you think of the modern hi-tek, dark stuff like Furious, Cosmo, Psykovsky, Kindzaza etc.? I personally love it - psychedelic as hell.

Thanks for those links, should be an interesting read.
neandrewthal
full clout y'all

Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eeeenteresting!

I don't know the first thing about trance so this was all new to me. I have a few psy trance CD's from the 90's but the kida suck lol

If I read the author of that second articel correctly he seems to think the only good trance music was made by screwing around with other popular electronic music and none of the stuff actually made as trance? Fascinating. I'd love to hear some of these old mixes.

The song at 0:36 in that third video is amazing.
Time Machines
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for posting this, Babaluma!
neandrewthal wrote:

You can listen to the whole song here.
neandrewthal
full clout y'all

Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Time Machines wrote:
Thanks for posting this, Babaluma!
neandrewthal wrote:

You can listen to the whole song here.

awesome, thanks we're not worthy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: