MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
The Roots of Trance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The Roots of Trance
terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
wow, that's great to hear! can we listen to some of your music?

i think i mentioned it before, but i was really impressed with a son kite live set i heard a few months ago (the set was from 2001 i think). however, even when i listen to a lot of the old stuff, it doesn't grab me like it used to, i just think my tastes have changed.

but your stick to your guns dude, it's the only way you'll ever grow and improve as an artist. i'm kinda trying to do the same thing, but in more of an ambient/drone style.

i think it's sad that you feel ashamed to say you write psy trance, but i can also understand it. there seems to be a lot of unjustified hate for it out there.

i've always imagined modulars to be the ultimate tools for writing trance music. wink

any tips for insane lead/acid lines?

i'd be happy to have a go at mastering one of your tracks too, if you are up for it?

Thanks Mate cool

for tunes check my sig or if you prefer better quality try
http://soundcloud.com/terrafractyl
I only just got around to the soundcloud thing recently oops

and yep Modulars are awesome for trance sounds!!
personally, I'm still quite new to this marvelous world of analoge synths(been building my euro rig for the past year and a half) and in my experience I find it ridiculously easy to get amazing psychedelic squelches and fm sounds, but I still find it easier to program leads and melodies with the synths I know best like zebra and reaktor.... yeah i know horrible!
I think I'll get better at it with time though..... maybe a few more modules 2! hehe
and yeah I may well hit you up for some mastering at some point, another take on mastering is always interesting!

terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

suitandtieguy wrote:
terrafractyl wrote:
I'm well immersed in the psytrance scene

cool. i feel the rest of what you were saying too, especially in light of this thread. it was nice to learn something about where it came from, and also obviously how it has completely changed into something it wasn't.

i played a psy party this weekend in a windfarm in Illinois USA this weekend, the thread about it is here:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18824

i don't play psytrance (for some reason i have this connection to the midwestern psytrance scene, and they are very nice to me even though obviously there's no money in it), but interestingly enough that Goa mix which was posted felt very close to me.

i've pulled up your myspace page and am listening now. thanks.

Thank You!

I was playing with a STG wave folder at a friends place a few days, and decided then and there which module to put on the top of the 'to buy' list
great to hear some synth makers out there are into psy/goa SlayerBadger!

I'm listening to your Lessons of Darkness on Soundcloud now... wow... great sounds! thumbs up

:edit: ambient hoover hardbag ftw

Babaluma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolio! i got an stg wavefolder quite recently and it is amazing!

listening to your track "The Mind's I" on soundcloud now. good stuff!
suitandtieguy
Hammond King

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

terrafractyl wrote:
:edit: ambient hoover hardbag ftw

dude, thanks for listening but i must stress, in case it wasn't obvious by that "genre" for my upload: i don't identify with _any_ genre of dance music, except _possibly_ ambient house, and i violate that routinely.

it's all "house music" to me. reference the sermon edit of "can you feel it."

suboptimal wrote:
... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.
terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

suitandtieguy wrote:
i don't identify with _any_ genre of dance music, except _possibly_ ambient house, and i violate that routinely.

it's all "house music" to me. reference the sermon edit of "can you feel it."

haha yeah I got that and totally agree with you, violating genres is one of my most loved hobbys.... loved the name tho hihi

digidennis
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice post / info.

This is perfect place to air my old (1997) goa stuff without feeling ashamed oops

I found these youtube vids of the tracks..

lots of juno 106 ( god bless the noisy chorus ) and JD-990
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
yeah tip blue and yellow were great, still love "angelic particles" by hallucinogen. i really loved the dragonfly "order odonata" series as well. the "project 2 trance" earliest release was still kinda proto goa.

The "Concept in Dance" comps that had a lot of Man With No Name tracks on them were also superb, for the early stuff. Angelic Particles...hell the whole Twisted album is exhibit A in what was good about that sound.

I have never stopped listening to Posford in any of his guises. My last show before leaving SF was the Shpongle DJ set/Hallucinogen live show, the room and sound were so-so but the show blew my sober mind. I even like the pop-vocal-smooth-psy sound of the Younger Brother stuff. Plus he has the stones to play it with a live band. and perhaps it goes without saying but the Ott remixed "In Dub" versions of the Hallucinogen material are all in high rotation.
Quote:
thanks for the banco de gaia and green nuns info, i'll definitely check out matthew coldrick.

I suggest the releases on Absolute Ambient. Music for a Busy Head is just Coldrick, and then Elemental Journey is Coldrick and Matt Hiller of ISHQ. There might be a third release by now but I don't have it yet?

Short Shameful Confession: I can totally handle a track of pure cheese or two if it's dropped at the tail end of a dawn set after a night of seriously hard trancing.

Terrafractyl: Welcome! I'm off to listen to yer soundcloud.
mateo
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
i'll occasionally spin some older tunes for nostalgia, but i hadn't heard anything new that really moved me in that genre for many many years, until late last year, when i heard the free download of a live show from "son kite" in tokyo, december 2003, which is available on their website here:

If you like son kite, you might be interested in their other project, minilogue; not at all what you'd call psy trance, but you can definitely see the influence. To me it's like they kept the best parts (the actual psychedlic and trance inducing parts) and threw away the rest.
Babaluma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digidennis wrote:
Nice post / info.

This is perfect place to air my old (1997) goa stuff without feeling ashamed oops

I found these youtube vids of the tracks..

lots of juno 106 ( god bless the noisy chorus ) and JD-990

nice, i think i remember you from back in the day, and maybe have a track or two of yours on some compilations! what type of music do you make now?
Babaluma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plord wrote:
I suggest the releases on Absolute Ambient. Music for a Busy Head is just Coldrick, and then Elemental Journey is Coldrick and Matt Hiller of ISHQ. There might be a third release by now but I don't have it yet?

cheers for the recommendation! had no idea about coldrick, or that he worked with ishq, ishq being one of my favourite new ambient discoveries of the last few years. "orchid" always on heavy rotation here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: